Welcome to the World of Feila!

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

The Avian's Rest Stop (Open)

This is where all of the medieval Gawain role-plays are archived.
Vamp
Count
Species: Owl-Dragon

Post by Vamp » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:57 pm

Nyuni looked towards the city where the crowds might be hard to manage. In her past she would avoid it, almost to the point of fleeing, but she could not do that anymore. Her tails curved around her body moving across her stomach, moving smoothly across her somach and stroking her stomach smoothly. It was a way she comforted herself before stepping into a roll she was uncomfortable with. She left her tails go limp and fall down, barely an inch from the ground.

" Ok, I am ready for this. It is essential for me to learn to be comfortable with this. If a person is wounded and goes into the city must not the healer fallow? more equipment is available in cities, and thus they are important for healers. " She braced herself and was ready. She could do this, and she knew it. She was becoming more comfortable already. This would be a great new part of her training, and she was sure to learn much. She had learned much, how to clean wounds, help with pain, sooth cramps, and much more. It was time to put it to use. " What use is training if it is never used. You are right, I need to learn first hand... "

Sponsor

omndragon
Duke

Post by omndragon » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:21 pm

Smiling with pride Omon patted the avian with unmasked pride.
"Do not worry. we will be alright. The first thing we have to do is find some residence and then find some place where we will ply our skills. Now we will find a place to ply our skills. Normally we charge a small fee, but only to those who can afford it. Our goal is to have enough to feed ourselves but, not enough that we grow fat from the labor of others. Besides the people helping us will be paying us with experience. This is much more valuable at this time. It is also important that we find a good apothocary as we won't be able to wander the forest looking for the right herbs. Let us be on our way"
Omon and Nyuni walk into the city.
"Some things in life can't be taught they must be learned." - unknown

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin

Vamp
Count

Post by Vamp » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:28 pm

Nyuni nodded as they walked though the town. Indeed those would be very important. We would need a palce of residence and a place to do our work. Having an Apothocary nearby or atleast one where they knew where it was would be great. They could not simply pick herbs on the way anymore. Nyuni drew herself up to the task at hand. She would not fail here. It was time for her to prove herself.

" So, do we simply ask somewhere if there is anyone renting out rooms nearby or where an apothocary is? How do we proceed with this? "

omndragon
Duke

Post by omndragon » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:01 am

"Of those two tasks the apothecary is the easiest. The shops are all along the main avenue. To take advantage of visitors. Common sense says that we walk around a bit beyond the gate before we look for the apothocary. The ones near the gate will gouge their prices. And as I don't have to tell you, we are not exacatly rich. As for a place to stay, to say the truth we don't have much coin. And while I do know someone who lives here, I wold rather not go to his 'home' if I could help it, but an inn is to much and we need to conserve what we have for as long as we have it. All well let us go I'm sure well figure it out after the apothecary."
Smiling Omon walks through the gate and down the avenue, and between the large procession of people. The cities were choked with people doing everyday business. The stall that were set up were arraigned with colorful wares. The vendors were screaming their deal on the hot musty air. Then a sweet odor that Omon recognized floated through the air.
Omon frowns thoughtfully,
"Perchance have you ever had a Beas stick? Beas is a candy that they are made only in this city. The stall is right there lets go and get a stick."
Omon smiles as his avian friend and him go to the stall. As Omon reaches the stall the fur running the stall stops his advertising when Omons enormous shadow falls on him.
"Two sticks please." Omon says.
To give the racoon credit he didn't even bat an eye when Omon asked for the two pieces candy.
"Sure that'll be 1 copper."
Omon frown slightly
"that is quite high."
Omon smiles and quietly says,
"Are you sure you can't make the price more reasonable."
bending down to bring his face close by the vendors own.
"I would greatly aprechiate it."
The racoon looked quite nervous and quite understandably made the price reasonable.
After paying the vendor and getting the two sticks of Beas Omon give one to Nyuni. This is simply a confection made from honey, nuts, and busen berries. Ii is quite good.
Says Omon taking a rather large bit.

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin

Vamp
Count

Post by Vamp » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:50 pm

Nyuni stayed as calm and collected as possible. It was very different here. She rarely ventured into large towns, and this one was as big and loud as she had yet seen. She fallowed Omon through the town, and watched him intimidate the fur who owned the stall. Shear size has it's advantages. I would never be able to pull such a feat off. But perhaps that is a good thing...I imagine those Omon tries to heal are often quite intimidated. I wonder if they all are able to remain calm around him while he is working on him?

Nyuni grabbed the stick of candy that Omon held out for her. Indeed she had never even heard of it. She put one end of it to her beak and broke off a peace in her beak. He was right, it was quite good indeed. Being part avian the fruits and nuts in it were easy to tast and made it all the more good, the smell alone was apealing. She did not chew, but simply kept it in her mouth and sucked on it. She had never had such a good candy before.

" Thank you. It is quite good. And it doesn't sound like it would be too bad for you either. Ok, you make a fair point. An apothocary should not be hard to find. Perchance our would will provide us with lodgings. I imagine if luck is on our side perhaps someone we heal will perhaps be able to make acomodations. If not an inn might work. Assuming we can find one that doesn't seek customers with a bloated coin purse. "

omndragon
Duke

Post by omndragon » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:44 am

as they walked they passed many stalls and many vendors. But as they walked into the city the number of stalls began to taper off. The wares started looking second hand and the people already seamed to have set customers. They came upon a small building in the older section of town. The sign said The Ailing Tabby, and the smell of freshly grated mint wafted through the door.
"You know apothecaries also serve bakeries, restaurants, and housewives. They spice their cakes and cooking. Lets go inside."
As they entered the establishment Omon and Nyuni saw rows and rows of powdered spices filled in jars and fresh or dried herbs tied to the celling.

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin

Vamp
Count

Post by Vamp » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:11 pm

Nyuni entered the building behind Omon. The many rows of bottled herbs and spices. There were many odd things that one didn't expect in a city store. However this being an apothecary these things were not too unexpected. She was soon looking around almost at home for the first time in a while. Now they were in a realm that pertained to her training. Indeed she knew what many of these herbs were and what they did.

Her tail twitched a bit but she held it close to her body. Breaking anything could cost her what little money she had. Looking at a nearby shelf, was the very same herb Omon had used to calm her down when they first met. She didn't need any of these, as she had ever since carried some in her bag. It was very useful and would probably prove one of the most useful herbs she had yet learned. Any healer or apprentice could tell you how important it was to keep the injured fur calm and steady. Having an erratic patient that moved too much was always a big problem.

Many smells came from the shelves and while her nose was not as good as a canines the feline blood in her gave her a good sense of smell. The smells intermingled a great deal in the shop, and thus the best way to catch the scent was to get closer to the shelves. Nyuni had been careful to learn the smells of the herbs Omon had taught her about. " Wow...But with all these herbs I imagine we must be careful nothing is mislabeled or worse. The last thing we want to do is to buy an herb that is simply a common tree leaf in disguise. I suppose our scent of smell will come in handy here... I also suppose that we should avoid powdered herbs unless we can clearly tell what it is. Many things look alike when powdered. "

omndragon
Duke

Post by omndragon » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:45 pm

Omon smiled as Nyuni acted the part of a wide eyed country girl. He was particularly glad she had calmed down a bit and infact seamed to be enjoy herself. Omon walked to the counter and said,

"Do you have any garvin root?"

The squat badger seamed to be slightly supprised by the queston. The root itself is uncommon and is usually used to aid in the digestion of the elderly and of children. Omon asked to see if the price would be fair or if the cadger was a price gouger. The badger in queston smiled suddenly and exclaimed,

"You know I think that I do indeed have some. They arrived last week with my tala roots. An int4eresting root."

She went into the back and in a few minutes returned with a slightly aged garbin root. she brought out a small scale and measured the root.

" 2 pounds and a little extra. at one krone a pound that will be 2 krones."

she smiled,

"Ohhh I don't charge for the little things like an ounce here or there. I think it helps my buisness more then it hurts it."

Omon smiled and paid the coin and put the root into his bag. then he said,

"You will be seeing me again."

Omon faced Nyuni and said as he was walking out of the store.

"Now young one please tell me why this is a good shop, and make no doubt this is a good shop."

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin

Vamp
Count

Post by Vamp » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:34 pm

Nyuni watched the exchange. It seemed a bit odd to her, considering the vendors before she was expecting the roots to be very pricey and to get very little for very much. The question he had asked was interesting as well. She would have to carefully consider that one before she answered.

" Sorry, i was expecting it to be more...pricey. After seeing those vendors and merchants try and inflate all their prices and wares... I had the impression most shops in the city would be like that. As for why it is a good shop... There are many reasons. Firstly the owner seems sensible enough. And the herbs and her other wares were in good shape. Very good shape compared to my expectations. I could find few faults if any. From my perception everything was where it should be... There were no herbs where they could get damaged and everything seemed ok... Beyond that I can find no other reason it is a good shop.

omndragon
Duke

Post by omndragon » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:47 pm

Omon smiled,

"That is all true, but I have to say the most important thing about that lady was that she wants to keep customers. Oh I am sure that she would sell her children or anything drastic like that, but she sold those roots at a decent price and what is more she sold them at discount. We have never meet her before today. Honest buisness men are hard to come by."

Walking Omon spots an inn where he has stayed before.

" This in is economically inclined. It won't waste all of my or your money."

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin

Vamp
Count

Post by Vamp » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:54 pm

Nyuni considered this. Indeed she though she had said all or most of that by saying the woman was reasonable... Maybe she should have elaborated... " That is what I meant when I said she was sensible... Though i probably should had cleared that up. " She pondered that for a little while. An inn would be good, and if Omon said it had decent expenses than she would take his word for it. She looked down at her bag and toward her money.

Indeed what she had in the way of money was scarce. enough to live on for short. She could afford a room here for a while, and if they made any money healing then perhaps an extended stay if necessary. "Ok. I will take your word for it. I should have enough money to afford to stay here for at least a couple days...Again taking your word for it. So should we go in and see if they have vacancies? "

omndragon
Duke

Post by omndragon » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:57 pm

Omon smiles prefly and looks at Nyuni and smiles,

"You weren't wrong, your assesment was indead correct, but as you have just spoken it needed to be clarified a bit. "

Omon walked to the counter and a small bear was there, well if you can call anybear small. He was as wide as Nyuni was tall.

"Hey friend how is the misses doing?"

The bear looks slightly less friendly then it had looked and then it smiled a not so nice smile,

"Well friend I have to say that the misses is fine, and might I be saying none of your buisness. "

Despite the almost hostile reaction that Omon got from the bear, he continued to smile.

"Oh you should remember who cured you of your dietary problems last year romvan, or would you like me to tell all your customers you had problems with--"

"Enough!!!"

The bear said with a crimson heat burning in his face.

"I didn't recognize you Omon. Please stay tonight for free. A thank you for ahh, helping me when I needed it. ."

Omon still smiled and sayed,

"That will not be needed romvan. I think I will pay the standard rate, but It would do us better so settle payment when we leave. Is it possible to do so?"

"Why that would be fine said the bear in a rushed tone. Her take your roomkey."

The bear reached under the counter and produced a well worn key.

"Her you go. Ohh if you need anything please don't hesitate to call."

Omon quickly took the key and turned around.

"Come lets get to the room."

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin

Vamp
Count

Post by Vamp » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:10 pm

Nyuni watched the strange bear looking rather flustered. What could possibly be the problem with him? and what kind of problem was so embarrassing that he would rush though it all like that? Nyuni pondered it but then decided it was between Omon and this Romvan. She decided it was best not to ask. After all he seemed quite embarrassed. She debated asking anyway just to reaffirm Omons threat that people would be interested to know. But in the end she decided against it.

" Ok " She said simply when Omon spoke to her. She was already a bit curious what the room would be like. The place seemed ok. Nyuni cut herself off. Last time she made a remark she was rebuked. She would reserve judgment on the place until it was completely based on fact instead of expectations.

omndragon
Duke

Post by omndragon » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:20 pm

As they made their way to their room Omon couldn't help but chuckle. The bear had always been an easy one to tease. He opened the door to his room and smiled.

"Well about a year ago that bear had a very serious,"

Omon paused and thought carefully

“‘Regularity’ problem. It had gotten really bad and had required a very difficult and rather embarrising surgery. "

Omon couldn't help but laugh,

"I wasn't going to bring it up but he just asked for it. I couldn't help myself. I thought he would be civil but, as you say he got extremely ruffled for almost no reason at all. I'm glad we arranged a deal quickly. "

Omon looked out the window and noticed that it was extremely late outside. Darkness was starting to fall in the cool autumn breeze.

"Well we have to rise with the sun tomorrow. You may stay up a bit and you can go down below but remember don't talk to anyone save the innkeeper or any of his employees if you do. "

Omons speech was permeated with a giant yawn.

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin

Vamp
Count

Post by Vamp » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:44 pm

Nyuni listed to him speak but didn't say anything. It seemed perhaps wrong to. He had explained without her asking, and thus she did not need to feel like she was intruding. Indeed that was to be avoided if she could. It was indeed getting late. She had expected it to still be not far from early afternoon, but she had been rather distracted today. Indeed it had seemed rather short.

She could feel exhaustion taking over her body slowly. There was no need to go visiting in the town. She might need the energy tomorrow. It would be best to spend her time wisely, and right now that meant getting some sleep while she had the chance. The room looked rather large and comfortable. She settled herself next to one of the large beds in the room. Compared to her the bed size was completely unnecessary, but when you had clients that varied in size from bears to mice furs she supposed big beds were a necessity.

With her bag still on her she climbed into the bed. She wrapped the overlarge blanket over and around her. Compared to her size she had more than enough blanket to make a sort of blanket-nest out of. She did not find sleeping on her side or belly with her legs out comfortable at all. She had the blanket all around her and over her as well, like a bird in a covered nest.

She yawned before speaking to Omon. " I suppose I might need the energy tomorrow. It sounds like we came here to work not to relax. I will sleep while I have the chance. I would not be surprising to be woken up in the middle of the night or early mourning. And the last thing I want in that situation is to get to bed late. " She took her bag off and nested it between her legs before going to sleep. She was not comfortable with her bag not being near here, as unlikely as a thief was. She whistled lightly to herself, intent on making sleep come easily. Indeed it did. Not a minute after her little lullaby she was asleep. Her body covered in the large blanket.