Welcome to the World of Feila!

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

Revelations I (Unseen University; pm to join)

This is where all of the medieval Gawain role-plays are archived.
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:34 pm

The Dean had just reached her office when word from the healer's ward reached her. "Is there no end to this? Logan, Jyya, come with me. Something tells me I'll need backup." On the way, she passed professor Lobsang. "You, I'll need you too." The professor followed, more or less powerless to disobey.

When the little party arrived, Miranda was futilely trying to prevent Nessus from interfering with the healing spells. Dr. Martin's eyes blazed as she strode in, grabbed Nessus by the back of his collar, and physically yanked him back. Pulling him to her, she looked into his eyes. "I believe the healers knew what they were doing when they set up those spells, and you would be wise to to defer to their wishes, provided you do actually care for the welfare of your student first and foremost." While Dr. Martin was a strict disciplinarian when the occasion called for, she would bend if the victim in a dispute would suffer indirectly from the maximum punishment of the victim.

Lobsang, meanwhile, was absorbed in studying the magic surrounding Amelia. "Fascinating, it appears that the inversion had its opposite connection here. Yes, that would explain everything."
Miranda was resetting the spells, and readying a sedative. "Thanks Dr. Martin. It'll hurt if she regains consciousness too soon, but I'm not sure how soon that is anymore. Until then, I'll just give her this." Dissolving the herbs in a bit of light magic, she spread the charged powder over where the vixen lay, who slowly stopped moving, and slept.
"You're welcome." The Dean released Nessus. "Your instincts are correct, but could you please give a little trust to the other respective departments? I understand your concern for your student, and that the offender gets the full measure of justice, just remember what has priority. And what in the world are you talking about, Lobsang?"

The professor looked up. "It all confirms my theory that ghost manifestations are temporal anomalies! See, for the spirit, their personal time field stops right at the moment after their soul is released from the body, but before it leaves this world. Now, in order for this bubble to interact with the normal time field, a portion of space somewhere else must be accelerated in time, to balance the slowdown of the ghost. Now, we had a manifestation on the lawn, and the balancing acceleration occurred here because there was already a connection to temporal magic with Amelia. I shouldn't be surprised to find a similar manifestation around Matt. Which reminds me... permission to examine him?"
"Remotely. He is still in solitary, remember?"
"Right. thank you for a most enlightening side trip." The professor went out, chortling over his discoveries.
Miranda stepped up from her ministrations. "You certainly get used to strange things happening here. It's over now, if that ghost has left."
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Sponsor

Indrick151
King
Species: Wolf
Location: Before the altar, below the earth, above the heavens

Post by Indrick151 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:15 am

Logan had arrived at the office shortly after Jyya and was startled when she looked up from her book and talked to him, so startled in fact that he took a moment to realise what had just been said to him. He finally realised she’d just introduced herself, and when he realised this he offered her his hand while stuttering meekly “Uh yes I’m L-Logan. Nice to meet youâ€
'reality is bending and screwing me over but at least it has decency' - Jackie twisting my words.

'In a war in heaven, Angels fall first'

[url=http://indrick.mypersonality.info][img]http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/17/175572.png[/img][/url]

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Post by Kitsunegami » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Jyya had followed the Dean to the healer's ward to see the rat from before trying to interfere with the healers. She was surprised to find out that he was a teacher, but when the Dean essentially grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and told him what his options were, Jyya was a bit impressed with the Dean.

It was then that she noticed that Logan looked rather anxious or uncomfortable with what was happening. "You look a bit out of sorts." she said as she pulled one of her all-day focusing talismans out and handed it to him. "This should help you gather your thoughts and relax. I presume you know how to use something like this."

Sade
Dysuhlian >:C
Species: Toaster

Post by Sade » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:17 pm

"Of course I care about her," Nessus sputtered, flailing about as he often did when handled roughly. There was more to be said; she was going to wake up and find her whole world gone, her way of life taken from her. She had relied so heavily on her... charm and physique to get the things she wanted, and now that whole strategy would be severely handicapped. She had been relatively popular among the other students- the male students. This might no longer be the case. Plenty of them were not so shallow as to be concerned with looks alone, but still, most would likely be put off by the disfigured vixen. Nessus could only imagine what this would be like, and if their roles were reversed, he would want Matteo to suffer. Only the dreadful mood the encounter with his father had put him in prevented him from saying any of this.

The Dean released Nessus. "Your instincts are correct, but could you please give a little trust to the other respective departments? I understand your concern for your student, and that the offender gets the full measure of justice, just remember what has priority."

The conversation drifted away from him and back to all that temporal magic nonsense. *Five hundred years of history, and what? We simply miss an entire field of magic?* He thought bitterly as he brought his hands up to brush the wrinkles out of his robes- only he wasn't in his normal robes, he was still in his sleepwear. He'd been walking around all this time wearing only a loose, thin night robe.

"You certainly get used to strange things happening here."

*And just what is that supposed to mean!?* Nessus thought and came close to blurting out. Luckily the healer had continued speaking, or he would have made an even bigger fool of himself.

"It's over now, if that ghost has left."

"Yes- indeed- over," the rat stammered flatly, retreating towards the doorway only to bump into Logan and the new student. "Didn't you hear? It's all over! Now if you'll excuse me..." with that, he brushed past them and disappeared into the corridor.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:34 pm

After Nessus stormed out, the Dean ran her fingers through her hair in an attempt to calm down. *And to think, people fought with me over this position. All the things I have to deal with are things I wouldn't give to my worst enemy only because he'd bungle them...*
"Disaster averted. Now, the others that I've called to my office should be there already. Sorry that I had to keep you from your beds this long."

After arriving back at her office, there were indeed two furs waiting for them. One was a weathered-looking mouse introduced as Professor Griego, head of field studies, and his apprentice, a feline by the lengthy name of Caraennyn van der Rayke. The mouse was dressed in a robe of a sturdy-looking fabric in a light tan color that would later be known a khaki. Caraennyn was dressed in a uniform not dissimilar to Telemain's, but while Tel's was blue in color, the knee length vest of the feline was a brownish-red color, which made it look permanently covered in trail dust. The Dean knew that the cat carefully cultivated the look; Caraennyn was averse to any sign of being shunted into a stationary post to study.
*He'll love this, then* The Dean spent a few minutes outlining the events on the lawn concerning the ghost, and the proposed expedition to recover the archives. Both the professor and his apprentice were very interested, and the Dean indicated to the two other students that they would be coming along as well.

The Dean then turned to Logan. "I know you've had a hard time finding your niche. I know you have great potential, and an affinity for healing. However, you have reported a frustration in your lack of progress. Now, I have a proposal to make concerning a change of major: Have you considered defensive magic? The field is mostly dedicated to the prevention of injury, and I think that you could thrive in that environment. Is that something that could interest you? This field assignment would be an opportunity to have a real-world trial of it."

Kitsunegami
Marquis

Post by Kitsunegami » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:46 pm

Jyya gave a short bow when introduced to the professor and their aide. "Jyya Arowin, Sword mage. I look forward to to this adventure. I shall do whatever I am able in order to see the success of this mission, within my capabilities of course." she said.

Jyya turned to the Dean, "If I am to go on this expedition, I request the return of my blade. I will be more capable in combat if I have my sword."

Indrick151
King

Post by Indrick151 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:56 am

Logan took the talisman that Jyya handed him, holding it, unsure how to use it, but not letting on that he did not know how to use the trinket, he’d never had to, but he guessed he might as well hang onto it; it might help at some time in the future.
“Thank you Jyya…â€
'reality is bending and screwing me over but at least it has decency' - Jackie twisting my words.

[url=http://indrick.mypersonality.info][img]http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/17/175572.png[/img][/url]

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:30 pm

The Dean, pleased to get Jyya's cooperation, nodded assent. "As a member in good standing, you are allowed your choice of weapon." She has stored it in her desk, and retrieved it now. "Here you are."
There was a secret relief in the heart of Dr. Martin that Logan was willing to give it a shot. "Good. Basic training can be handled by the field professor and myself, if you show the promise I believe you will, you'll be in professor Dench's department." Adressing the whole assembly now, she dismissed them. "Get some sleep from what remains of the night. We have a busy day tomorrow." *None more so than me.* She thought grimly as she took up her own suggestion after her office vacated.

Caraennyn was quietly elated to be getting out at last. He chafed in any kind of confinement, and shared that trait with his master. "Glad to be out and about again, eh?"
The mouse nodded at his apprentice. "Indeed. It is an honor to be on this venture. It may just earn you journeyman status."
"Mm." Caraennyn was ambivalent on how to treat this revalation. on one hand, it was an extra measure of much-needed freedom. On the other hand, it put a hard choice upon him, and neither option appealed. *Time enough to deal with that later. For now, rest, then adventure!*

Dr. Martin awoke at sunrise, breakfasting simply before emerging to greet the day. First order of business was to meet with Nessus, and then take care of this troublesome business with Matteo. Again, she was conscious of a subconscious thought, but put it aside again until it made itself clear.

Kitsunegami
Marquis

Post by Kitsunegami » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:25 pm

Jyya nodded to the Dean as they were all dismissed, then went up to the dorm she was sleeping in earlier, and went back to sleep. She woke at 6am and went out to where she had been drawing the focusing talismans.

She took her runes with her, and wore only the most modest of clothing, little more than a shirt and breeches... She placed her runes out in a large area, and cast a spell she created for training. She needed only activate the various spell talismans stacked on a stone in the center of the rune circle.

"Step 1, to limber the body." she said, focusing on the first talisman. As she activated the spell, 3 bolts of raw magic formed within the circle of runes, but on the outer edge. She began dodging and moving around within the circle for ten minutes, avoiding the bolts of magic as best she could. At the end of those ten minutes, she returned to the center and focused again. "Step 2, to focus the mind and release the bonds."

Having said that, 4 bolts formed around the outer edge of the circle and began doing what the previous 'step' did. By the time 9am came around, she was finishing Step 18. Step 18 was a separate form of training as it involved both a physical challenge, and for her to maintain a 'shield' ward to protect herself from bolts of fire, ice, earth, and raw magic while dodging and striking the bolts that she could.

After she finished this final step, the final talisman burned up, and she had several injuries, but was mostly unharmed. Her arm had a small burn on it, her other hand was cut on the palm, she had several bruises, but she walked away with a towel in hand, little worse for the wear. She went to the showers and cleaned up, then went to the Dean's office with a sandwich, hoping she wasn't late.

Sade

Post by Sade » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:32 pm

Nessus attempts at sleep were largely futile, and so he soon found himself sitting at his window watching nothing in particular, fuming over things best left unsaid. Just as the sun was beginning to show himself, something down on the lawn grabbed his attention. The kangaroo rat, Jyya, was engaged in some kind of morning exercise. Her agility, her magic, her choice of clothing, it all reminded him of she who could not be named, and it all only increased his newfound feelings of isolation and detachment.

The sun began its skyward climb. He donned clothing appropriate to travel; lose grey pants, shirt, all adorned with black stitching and subtle patterns of dull green and blue, dark nearly-black grey boots gloves and vest. The attire offered few pockets. Traditionally any Dysuhlian of moderate skill would merely summon whatever they happened to need, but those times were gone, and Nessus had lost most of this capability. He stuffed various cloth pouches securely under his vest, allowing the grippy leather to hold them in place, and buckled on a belt- also grey- covered in small slots- grey slots. He gave the room one last look.

This day promised to be... interesting, if not simply horrible.

The Dean's office was already occupied when he arrived. Two unfamiliar feilans, a mouse and a feline- a pairing he found oddly disconcerting- were already sitting against one wall. He nodded curtly, took a seat nearby, offered another silent nod when Jyya entered, and waited.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:03 pm

The Dean, after instructing two of the more burly journeymen to retrieve Matteo, emerged to find most of the party waiting for her. She nodded to Nessus. "We'll be getting this Matteo business out of the way, shortly. You'll probably want to come along." She turned to the rest of them. "If you want to come, fine, but don't get in the way. Actually, I'd rather limit the audience for this. I don't know how long it will take."
"Dr. Martin?" The two journeymen emerged, Matteo carried between them. He looked as if he'd passed an even rougher night than Nessus. *And is likely to spend a lot more like that.* The Dean thought sadly as the recalcitrant student was brought before her.
"Matteo Hernandez Figuero, you have been charged with and found guilty of negligence of the first degree, resulting in serious and permanent injury to a colleague. Have you nothing to say for yourself?"
"No, Dr. Martin." Matteo kept his voice low, in the tone of one who knows there is no point in excuses.
The Dean was glad of that. The punishment would be severe, but chances were, this would be the first and only time. *I sincerely hope so.* "Then we shall proceed to the place of your punishment."

The group the walked in a solemn procession to the healer's ward. Several watched them pass, and gave thanks to whomever was their deity that it was not they who were in that slow, sad parade.
They arrived to find the still-unconscious Amelia, with most of the bandages removed to reveal the extent of the injuries. Matteo recoiled, but did not avert his gaze.
"Yes, that was your doing. God only knows what else will come from it. Know that this is solely your responsibility, and no one else's. And all of you," The Dean swept her gaze to all present, "See the consequences of careless negligence."
Miranda and Professor Valencii, who had been standing by, came forward. Valencii had put a crystal headband on Amelia, and hooked it up with glass tubing to what looked like a converted rack, with restraints for head, wrists, and feet. Matteo was brought forward and strapped into this device.
"You have seen the results of your actions, but only Amelia knows their true consequences. Soon, however, you will also know. All the pain, all the fear that she experienced is burned in her memory, which you will now experience."
The hookups were completed, and with a solemn gesture to Miranda and Valencii, the memory simulation began. It was possible to tell from the groans and screams just what event from the day before Matteo was experiencing. Quite a few shut their eyes and looked away, but the Dean did not. *This is my responsibility. I have a duty to see this through.*
By the end of it, the screams had reduced to sobs. Dr. Martin stepped forward, in time to hear Matteo say. "Amelia... how could I have done this to you...." The Dean whispered back to him, "May God and Amelia both have mercy upon you." And that was a heartfelt wish.

The process had not affected Amelia visibly, thought final verdict would have to wait until she could recover, which would be while the expedition was out. The Dean had returned with Nessus back into the sunshine. "Nessus, do wish to come with us? It would help, but if you wish to stay for your student's convalescence, I understand, and will have someone go in your stead. As for the rest, get ready. We leave soon."

Indrick151
King

Post by Indrick151 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:53 am

Logan left as soon as he too was dismissed, and he’d be transferred to a new department if he performed well, and at that moment he wasn’t sure if that was a good thing, however he was not one to argue. He himself retreated back to his room to get a few hours sleep before the sun rose. He awoke as soon as the sun rose, threw on his clothes and a small pouch of herbs and bandages, and went to breakfast. On his way he noticed Jyya performing a strange morning ritual. He turned and watched out of window in one of the corridors and was amazed by her skills with magic. He himself was trying to remember anything he could about warding and protection magic that he had read. Which unfortunately wasn’t much.

He went to breakfast, ate quickly and went too to the Deans office, arriving after Nessus and the others, he guessed he might have taken too long eating. On the plus side so far that day he hadn’t had insults muttered to him as he walked past, which was a positive.

He barely had a moment to pause in the Deans office before they were being led out by the Dean. He had a bad feeling he knew to where, and he didn’t particularly want to go. So when they arrived at the healers ward. He stopped there and wouldn’t go any further, he did not wish to see Amelia in her state, nor did he want to see whatever anguish Matteo was undergoing. Unfortunately he could hear it, even outside in the corridor, and he pitied his fellow student. He knew exactly what it was like, to have hurt those with your own foolishness.
When the Dean announced they would be going soon he nodded “I’m ready to go.â€

Sade

Post by Sade » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:05 pm

Intense was an entirely insufficient word to describe Nessus' gaze as Matteo's punishment commenced; he wanted him to burn, and he would accomplish this by drilling his eyes so deeply and with such force into the feilan's soul that he spontaneously combusted. Of course this didn't really happen, and, to the rat's horror, his desire to crush the student with the power of his mind was quickly dwindling. Matteo might as well have been on fire, the way he was convulsing and screaming on the rack. How was this even possible? Amelia had lost consciousness shortly after the explosion- mere seconds after the explosion. What memories could there be for Matteo to suffer?

The skin beneath Nessus' skin flushed with a bizarre mixture of embarrassment, anger, pride, and sympathy. The rat looked down his nose at Matteo as the veritable torture finally came to an end. The student was dangerously careless, but he made no excuses, he made no attempt to avoid this terrible punishment or cast blame elsewhere. He was no monster or murderer. He was a kid who'd made a very stupid and tragic mistake. He was a man who'd taken responsibility for what he'd done, knowing what he would likely face. "This has been... sufficient," Nessus finally acknowledged, nodding inwardly.

The morning sunlight greeted him as they left the relative gloom of the healer's ward. He paused a moment to consider the Dean's offer, looking off into the wind; pleasantly cool, almost wintery despite the best efforts of the province's overarching magical turbulence. "And what would I do, cheer her up with my unmatched bedside manner? She'd probably like the idea of having me waiting on her hand and footpaw, but in the end I'd be more a nuisance then anything else. That, and a painful reminder of...certain things..."

A few moments passed. He shook his head, the motion carrying an air of finality about it, "No, I'm coming with you."

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:40 pm

A look of understanding crossed Dr. Martin's features. "Ah, I had wondered if there was something else to your reactions. Memory carries more pain, sometimes, than the events remembered." That was why the punishment Matteo had undergone was so terrible, he didn't experience the events as they happened, he experienced the events as Amelia remembered them, which was worse, as it almost always was.
"Well, if you need a little time to get your travel things ready, go take it, but I hope to be able to leave before noon." The Dean sounded somewhat less burdened. The most unpleasant business of the day was taken care of, and would be resolved, in whatever way, in its own time.

It was about forty minutes later that the group departed, following the route marked upon the map that the scholars had transcribed from the apparition. There was no great ceremony, things were a little subdued today, for a good reason. The weather had gone from cool to chill, and rather cloudy. Vagaries of of Wexlar weather meant that it could change to practically anything with little warning, but at least no precipitation occurred.
Despite the unpromising climate, Caraennyn was becoming more and more cheerful. This was his natural habitat, motion, a journey, a quest. The students had formed a group in the party, and Caraennyn took it upon himself to start conversation. "We met last night, though I hadn't the chance to properly introduce myself. Caraennyn van der Rayke, of Dutch extraction. I'm familiar with you a bit, Jyya, but Logan's arrival was during a trip of my master's and and you and I never met much afterward." It was untrue that Caraennyn was Dutch, he was in fact Welsh, though certain issues his parents had with King Godric of Edwin made it better for the feline not to connect himself with them.

Kitsunegami
Marquis

Post by Kitsunegami » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:42 pm

Jyya had chosen to remain outside, and waited, holding one of the talismans that she had prepared, and contemplated using it. "Hmm, if I use this now, I won't be as aware as I may otherwise be once outside of the university walls... I've used them to focus my mind away from my magic sense. With whiskers sensitive enough to detect spells, and, within the wards of the U.U., I would go mad from my whiskers twitching constantly... The talisman is a general focusing spell sealed in the paper. It'll help you do one of many things. When you use it, just focus on what you prefer. Be it mental clarity, focus, or something else requiring a more focused state of mind." she says to Logan.

"Sorry to give you something of a lecture, but you may find it beneficial to use it. who knows, it may help you more than you know." she said, sitting down in a meditative position and closing her eyes.

Shortly after the punishment was carried out, Jyya departed and gathered her traveling pack, leaving most of her belongings at the University in the room, locked securely in her trunk. Her backpack, her book, and her equipment was all she took with her, taking what rations she needed along with her. In her backpack was some rope and some various other thinks that were commonly needed on long journeys.

When the feline spoke of knowing a little of Jyya, she gave a small smile, and raised her eyebrow, "Oh? heh, I was unaware that I had a reputation." she said.

"I was raised by a swordsman and a mage, and taught by both. Regardless of my ancestry, they are the ones I call mother and father. I was taught that only when both the body and the mind are trained, can one become a true mage. Though the dedication of one's life to the pursuit of magic can also make a true mage." she said, almost as an addition so as not to potentially insult the others of the expedition.