Welcome to the World of Feila!

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

Aftermath and school days. (Unseen University. PM to join)

This is where all of the medieval Gawain role-plays are archived.
Kitsunegami
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Aftermath and school days. (Unseen University. PM to join)

Post by Kitsunegami » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:51 am

It was a crisp morning, the cool winter air rolling through the grounds of the Unseen University. The temperature was pleasantly cool, cool enough that the morning dew was ice cold, but warm enough that it wouldn't freeze.

Jyya was waiting in the infirmary. Several days had passed since the events surrounding the "Dysuhlian ark", in fact, 2 full weeks had passed since the exodus from the arc via her way-gate. She let her mind run a bit on the idle side, thinking of her calculations and formulations she had come up with while recovering from her 'audition', if one could truly call it that. In truth, her "trial by fire" had left her almost blind in one eye, and her other glowed faintly with the magical 'overload' that had put her body on the verge of breaking.

Her injuries required her to make frequent trips to the healer ward on the campus grounds to allow them to both study her recovery, and to make sure she was recovering properly. With all that had happened, what with the Dysuhlian refugees and political situation that the influx of the aforementioned refugees had caused. The Octariot had a lot to deal with, and Jyya knew that they would get to her when they had the time. What did she have to worry about. Free room and board while she waited to hear if she was 'worthy' of becoming a student at the Unseen University, if not more than a student. While her studies were of a unique nature, most of what the mages at the U.U. studied were unique forms of magic, along with the more common forms. Jyya had no illusions about her skill, or personal research. All of her research up to the point that she 'joined' the U.U. was field research, and well documented in her tome. She had nothing to prove to herself, and no desire to prove herself better than any other potential new member to the U.U.

Acceptance or not, I know who and what I am. What I am capable of, and what I can accomplish. My limitations are known to myself, and that is all I truly need to know. she thought to herself after slowly writing more notes in her tome, then sketching a few things related to her notes. Exerting herself by rushing would only slow her recovery, and that simply would not do.

A young vixen walked in, surprised to see someone there before she arrived. "Oh! We weren't expecting you to be here so early Miss Arowin. It will be several minutes more before the others arrive. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but most of us rise with the sun, instead of greeting it." she said with a very professional tone, ending with a smile.

The sun was just peaking over the Dresden mountains and casting it's warming light over the land and sky. Sunrise... A sight as magical as any within the wards of the university... she thought to herself as she sat and waited for the other healers to arrive, which included some of the student aides.

Sponsor

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:22 pm

Matteo Figuero Hernandez, a ringtailed lemur of Mazan origin, walked cautiously into the healer's ward, a bouquet of some flowers in his hand. Despite many efforts by the staff to make the environment here relaxing and as welcoming as possible, Matteo never felt comfortable here at the best of times. Given that he was visiting a severely injured patient, that was here because of him, the whole place seemed a little unwelcoming to him.
The patient in question, Amelia, was a very pretty young vixen, who shared Professor Nessus' class with him. They had been learning how to operate an old Dysuhlian golem, to see if the University could hijack them should any attack again. Thanks to carelessness on Matteo's part of mixing spells, the golem had gone haywire, and nearly killed Amelia. Her life, thankfully, had been saved by quick action on the part of a fellow student and the healers, but they had been unable to save her arm. In punishment for his careless error, Matteo had been forced to carry the memory of that incident from Amelia's point of view. The mental trauma had made him unable to do much in the way of academics for a week.

Today, he hoped, she would be awake, and he could apologize in person. He didn't expect forgiveness to be forthcoming, but he owed her at least that much. Matteo had also taken care to select Amelia's favorite flowers here, ones that grew only in the magically saturated land of Wexlar, in shapes and colors unknown anywhere else in Feila. They came courtesy of the Botanomancy professor, who kept his own garden in the University grounds.
There were not many in here yet, Matteo noticed. The ward was empty enough that the lemur was a bit startled to meet another fur there. "Oh! Er, hello... Jyya, was it?" Matteo knew the kangaroo rat had not been here long, but had been connected with enough events as to be thoroughly memorable. "Um, do you know if Amelia is fit to receive visitors yet?"
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Kitsunegami
Marquis

Post by Kitsunegami » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:55 pm

She saw this Matteo fellow, from before the trip out into the mountains. He had received a form of punishment she thought cruel, but she was not in charge, and thus could not change the methods of discipline.

"Hmm, I can't say that I know. I've been more concerned with getting back to my condition from before my injuries. I have been so weakened that I can't really say I've been concerned about the others in the infirmary. I'm only ever in an examination room anyway." she said with a slight shrug.

It was at about that time that the young vixen returned, "Miss Arowin, your examination room is ready... Oh! Matteo, I wasn't expecting you so early! Amelia has began to stir recently, but it will still be a couple of days before she will be ready for visitors." the vixen said.

Jyya stood and made her way into the examination room, waving 'bye' to Matteo. After closing the door behind her she drew a curtain and disrobed, waiting for her check-up in little more than a chest wrap and a wrapped loincloth for mere modesty. While she didn't particularly care about anyone seeing her naked, she knew that some may be made uncomfortable by seeing her completely unclothed.

Time passed, and the examination went by with positive results. She was physically recovering from her injuries at a normal rate, her body was recovering from the equally damaging magical overload, though her eyes showed no sign of change from her first examination.

By the time the examination was concluded it was getting close to noon, Jyya was feeling rather hungry. It was then that she went to the dining hall for lunch...

Sade
Dysuhlian >:C
Species: Toaster

Post by Sade » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:37 pm

The sun, a source of delight and warmth and comfort to some, cast only its palest, coldest light through the slits of Nessus' curtains. The light was grey, the world of his small living quarters was grey, everything within his gaze was as stark and colorless as his own fur, and his own soul.

Two weeks ago Nessus had dropped onto his bed, and for two weeks he had scarcely moved. Beneath the night robes his body withered for lack of food. His face became gaunt. His eyes sunk slightly, his lids baggy and blackened, by dehydration. The golem stood out in the courtyard at the site of the accident where it had been left an eternity ago, the machine's pale red gaze as uncaring and empty as Nessus' was listless. His position at the University went unfilled, his responsibilities abandoned. Every now and then a student would knock at his door, sometimes even open it despite no permission to do so, sometimes try to drag him out of bed or get him to eat something. He never spoke, his gaze glimmered with faint recognition when the student was one of his own, but that was all.

What was the point? What did he have to live for, a hopeless battle against an immortal enemy? A future alone, ostracized as much by the modern people of these lands as by his own kin from the distant past? A life without the only one who'd ever shown him true compassion?

Nessus' eyelids squeezed shut, the first conscious movement in hours. He would have wept had his body the tears to spare.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Amelia lay in one of the rear chambers of the healers wards bathed in sunlight from a nearby window. Though her eyes were shut and her breathing shallow, she was very much awake and very much aware of her surroundings. For the past day and a half she had rested, silently listening to the gossip and hearsay of the nurses around her, and though she had been horrifically depressed at the start, she could now see the light at the end of the tunnel.

At first she had resorted to pleasant thoughts which did little to address her situation; the injury gave her an excuse to miss classes and got her out of a lot of work; maybe Nessus would feel sorry for her and finally admit to the feelings for her which she had convinced herself he had; maybe it would guilt him into loving her, and to hell with anyone who criticized such relationships! Later, however, the emptiness of these pleasant platitudes became rather obvious, and they did little to overshadow the fears and doubts. She saw herself as disfigured and disgusting, a cripple, the kind of person to whom she had always paid the least attention, upon whom she had wasted the least affection, to whom she had felt the least attraction. Her life was over...

Or was it?

As she lay beneath the blankets, her mouth twitched into a slight smile.

The University staff and healers couldn't replace her arm or mend the largest of the scars running along her torso because of the poisonous influence of the assault golem's magic, but they were hardly experts. None of them had even seen such a construct until half a year ago, as far as she knew. Nessus had expertise operating the golems and using them effectively in times of war, if his claims were to be accepted, but the exact nature of their construction and magic was something he had always taken for granted. None of them could help her, but maybe, just maybe, a necromancer could- a real necromancer, a powerful necromancer, an expert in the field, someone with experience and skill. The more she thought about it, the more she came to believe that the darker arts of Dysuhl's past could help her. According to the word around the ward, hundreds of ancient Dysuhlians were camped just beyond the University's walls, in the town and the fields beyond. But seeking help from Necromancers might damage her status here, and her... social ranking among the male students and professors- and some of the girls too- might suffer as well.

Earlier in the morning, when she had been mulling this over in her head, was when inspiration struck. What if she could solve both her problems and the Octariat's problems in one fell swoop? What if she could trick the most powerful and dangerous Necromancer yet known into helping her, and by doing so undermine his power, or even capture him! It sounded crazy, it sounded doomed to failure, but that only meant it must surely succeed! For her own sake...

All she needed was to reach him without the Octariat's knowledge, and, according to the gossip among the attendants, the solution lay in a bed up near the front of the ward. The story went that a kangaroo rat had created a portal, or something, spanning a distance of many dozens or even hundreds of miles to save the day, or something like that. Amelia did not need to travel hundreds of miles, she had only to escape the University without detection.

*Yessss, this could work!* Now, she just had to get that kangaroo rat alone...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two grey rats spoke conspiratorially as one pointed out various markings on a large map, both stopping abruptly when a third rat entered. The three Dysuhlian Necromancers regarded each other with paranoid suspicion for a few moments. All were of the so-called new-style necromancers, as much statesmen as they were practitioners of magic, and incredibly ambitious in both regards, but each was affiliated to an individual faction with distinct goals, shared opinions, and basically compatible political stances.

Hunched over the map table was the Necromancer Invisus, distinguished by the white stripe running from just above his nose, up his face, over his head and down his neck to vanish beneath his robes, as well as the white splotches marking the tips of his ears and ends of his whiskers. Invisus's faction tended towards rat supremacist agendas, and they focused on elevating and improving all of rat kind above all else. Invisus was one of few who had purchased an actual, defined word for his, albeit a word from a foreign language, rather than altering a word or inventing one of his own. He had been well known for his abusive tendencies towards the lower classes and the slave castes in particular. The slaves working under his family's control had taken to referring to him by the nickname Invisus, which translated to "hateful" or "hated" in their language. Invisus grew so fond of the nickname he eventually purchased it for himself.

Standing to Invisus' left and silently contemplating all which had been said was the Necromancer Antinom, distinguishable by his featureless pinkish-white eyes contrasted against dark grey, almost black fur gradually fading to black near his feet, hands, and around his nose and muzzle. The two columns emblazoned in blue and green against his dark grey robes placed him among the architects of Dysuhl. Aside from the obvious, the columns also tended to symbolize the strength of the Empire, the tremendous weight of the elite carried by all castes below, and the need for a firm foundation in all things. Antinom derived his name from an archaic philosophical term dealing with incompatibilities and contradictions between laws. This may or may not have been a dangerous political statement at the time of its purchase, depending on one's perspective and interpretation.

The newcomer facing these two was the Necromancer Histophel, distinguished primarily by his rather flamboyant sense of fashion and a large white spot in his fur situated just between his ears, like a crown. While the faction he most often associates with values artistic expression through architecture, magic, war, peace, sex, and virtually everything, even his own peers tend to find the outrageous robe with its splashes of bright, warm colors and huge ribbons coming off at the shoulders to be somewhat... excessive. The name Histophel means... well, nobody is quite sure what it means. Those who make the mistake of underestimating his power and influence because of these quirks tend to die slow, creative deaths.

Histophel certainly wasn't behaving with much levity now, however, as he regarded the other two across the room. "Invisus... Antinom," he greeted each airily.

"Histophel," Antinom returned with a nod.

"What are you doing here," Invisus demanded levelly, "this is private business."

"I've heard some disturbing things about you two. I fear you'll end up doing something outrageously stupid without the benefit of a voice of reason, something neither of you possess in the slightest."

Invisus turned his head one way and another, regarding the newcomer carefully, seemingly juggling something in his head. Histophel wasn't particularly worried about it- Invisus almost certainly lacked the skill and endurance to overpower him... in battle, that is. When the first rat finally made up his mind and gestured with his head at the map, the third crossed the room to join them.

"I've been talking with the predominant slave race-"

"The peasants," Antinom corrected.

"Yes, yes, the peasants," he pointed out several areas on the map, "they say there are mountains not far to the south, plentiful sources of granite and iron and a few marble quarries. The woods nearby extend for many hundreds of miles, and the trees, the trees are grown, thick and long."

Histophel rocked from one foot to the other, maintaining a quizzical expression.

"Fuel, Histophel, plentiful sources of fuel."

Now Antinom moved forwards, an eyebrow raised, and gestured again to the mountains. "There are tall, icy, mountains here," he suggested, "a Necromancer could be very happy here."

The first swatted away the thought, "and what, live your life alone? What good would that do? Where would be your pillars, Antinom? Where is the strong foundation upon which your power can grow?"

"Are we not all a pillar of one?"

"No, no we aren't. I don't think you really plan on building a mage tower and living the classic fairytale stereotype."

"Neither do I plan on starting a war."

"I didn't come here to mediate your lover's quarrel," Histophel snapped. "Please. Please just tell me, what by Dysuhl you two are talking about?"

Invisus leaned close, "I'm talking about Industry..."

The colorful third looked back and forth, back at the door, then met his gaze, "I'm listening."

"These primitives are fighting a war, a war which will soon erupt into conflict unlike any they have seen, if my instinct is correct. How will they go about winning it? Do you see any golems? Do you see any manufactories, or training grounds? Do you see them making any preparations at all?" When Antinom opened his mouth Invisus waved off whatever he was going to say, "I know, this is but one place in a vast world, but of this I am convinced; we stand only a few hundred meters from the center of our hosts' power. Yet, look around you. What defenses do you see? A wall? A few wards?"

Once again attention turned to the map as he pointed out a long ropy line not far from the University, "we have a source of motivational power, not exactly ideal in water flow and breadth, but adequate. We have good access to fuel, nearby sources of raw materials. The slave races have bread prodigiously since our time: we will have no problem finding either labor or energy sources."

"A manufactory," Histophel stated flatly, though he couldn't quite hide the excitement in his eyes. Industry. The word was as much an opiate to all upper-class Dysuhlians as Necromancy and Conquest.

"I have spent time with the local farmers in the markets of this settlement," Antinom suggested, his own icy facade beginning to melt, "some seem conducive to selling their land for the right price. Coercion is another possibility, given their primitive state of civilization."

"What of the local government?"

Invisus waved that off. It wasn't that he did not appreciate input, but he'd put a great deal of thought into it already. "Have you ever seen a lesser race govern itself properly?"

"I suppose not."

"Of course not. We will try to avoid conflict if possible. Who knows, perhaps they'll surprise us and prove more cooperative then we anticipate."

Now it was Histophel's turn to lean conspiratorially forwards, "and if they do not?"

Invisus peered down at the hand-drawn map of Wexlar, tapping a clawed finger thoughtfully on one of the nearby rivers running through it, "then their government is no longer relevant."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ook" The animal said and waved its hands around.

"What does that mean!? I don't understand what you're saying!" The speaker for Leviathan practically shouted at the primate, a creature which should have been regarded as non-sapient animal yet, for reasons she couldn't understand, was treated as an equal. She had been trying to ask permission for her elderly charge to enter the library, as he had expressed interest in it. Apparently it was one of the largest in the world today. But this animal... this animal! Everybody else seemed able to understand its flailing limbs, yet Leviathan's universal translation spell failed to find meaning in any of it, and she hadn't the slightest clue what it was trying to communicate. It could have been inviting them to dinner, for all she knew!

The elderly mouse himself watched from behind with what appeared to be mild amusement. The rat-brute was nearby, alert to the tones of their voices, but otherwise showing a great deal of interest in a nearby flower patch.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:56 pm

"Oh, I see." Matteo shuffled nervously upon hearing the news. "Er, could you see that she gets these? Thank you." Handing the bouquet off to a nurse, the lemur bowed out.
Walking down the hallways, Matteo was feeling both pensive and hungry. His appetite had taken some time to return, along with any desire to actually move. His recovery in this case had been greatly assisted by an involuntary dousing in ice-water. His thoughts about the effectiveness of the treatment gradually came to some of he and Amelia's professor. *What happened to him? Seems to have hit him worse than what hit me. Did anyone try to douse him?* Matteo doubted it. Despite fairly checkered circumstances, he was considered University Faculty, though not much more than a guest professor. They would probably be more circumspect in dealing with him than with a lowly student...
Matteo stopped suddenly, an idea springing into his head. Before the... incident with the golem, he probably would have just gone ahead and done it. Having learned the value of caution the hard way, he decided to seek out the Dean.

Dr. Martin was in the touchy mood brought about by having to stay up far too late, and wake much too early, for the past two weeks. The days had seen a series of... not crises, exactly, but any number of events that could turn into them, if not dealt with. In addition, her own paranoia led to extra work in her own Anti-Necromancy department, "readying the reserves," she called it. She had little trust for necromancers in any case, regardless of extenuating circumstances.
She had retreated to her office for a quick refuge and tea, but greeted Matteo's arrival with minimal irritation. *Student issues would be enough of a break from the rest of this infernal business.* And more besides, she was especially keen to keep tabs on the mental health of Matteo, considering all he had put himself through. She had to smile at the return of his native enthusiasm describing his plan for Nessus' recovery.
"Well, I don't see how that could make things worse. Get another student to help you. Be sure he gets fed, too, I shouldn't like him to die on us. I should also like to see him when he regains coherence; there are a few things that I think he may be able to clear up." The Dean was especially thinking of the jird Zodt. While Leviathan's recovery had made her slightly more amiable to the University, she still felt like a diplomat without adequate briefing. There was a history there she needed to know, and something told her Nessus could shed some light on the subject.
"Oh, and before I forget, transfer this message to one of the porters, for Jyya to see me later this evening." While the various events following the excursion to the ark had kept her from this duty, it was unfair to the kangaroo rat to put it off any longer. *She's certainly earned herself a place at this University. God knows we shall have need of her ere long.*

Caraennyn had been drafted by the Librarian as an assistant, as most students had at one time or another. There were an influx of them lately, the cat suspected it was because the Librarian feared for his books in the wake of the Dysuhlians coming here. The tomes were like ersatz children to him.
It was, therefore, unfortunate that he had been awakened, and without his breakfast, had to deal with three. Caraennyn had just been coming from the kitchen with a bunch of bananas when he heard the raised voices. Not wanting to have to clean blood from the carpet (again), he decided to intervene.
"I can act as translator if you need." The Librarian himself calmed down and began eating. Caraennyn did a quick editing job in his head; it would not be politic to translate the whole message, orangutan profanity and all. "Essentially, you can't handle the books without a Library Card. Let's him keep tabs on which reader is using which book, see, and to enforce the Due Dates. Not too hard to get one, if you wait until he's finished breakfast." The Librarian was a quick eater, and readied the Card in not time at all. Each card was keyed to the user's unique magical signature, and had a sister Card the Librarian kept in his files, for the purposes described.
"Ook?" Caraennyn translated: "Which name is the card in?"
Caraennyn looked over to Leviathan. He hadn't much chance to meet him before, everything having gone nearly crazy during the ark evacuation. He hadn't been seen much about, lately. "Eh, what did you come to research, sir?" The cat was unsure exactly how to address the ancient mouse.

Indrick151
King
Species: Wolf
Location: Before the altar, below the earth, above the heavens

Post by Indrick151 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:16 am

Meanwhile, Logan was for the hundredth time struggling with that wonderful thing that they called, the language barrier. He unlike the speaker was talking to someone who he knew could speak fluently. Just not in his native tongue. Because you see, Logan had a new ‘friend’, he had a dysuhlian friend, a large, strong lizard who had tried to kill him when they had first met. That alone had made their friendship bumpy enough from the get go. But throwing in language difficulties led to many frustrating moments when one or the other had said something offensive by accident. That or they had said something incomprehensible or hilarious. Though they were working their way slowly through the language difficulties, Logan thought he could manage to ask the lizard what his name was and how he was this morning and understand the response today. It would be a very big step for him.

Now it was a matter of finding his friend, because unfortunately, he lived outside of the university in the village. And unfortunately since the Dyshulian’s had arrived it had become a hive of activity. With people struggling to accommodate them, and with the Dyshulian’s constantly needing to be moved due to this problem or that had made it difficult to find one particular person. Even if that person was one of a few lizards in the village. Eventually Logan managed to find directions to his friend.

“Greetingsâ€
'reality is bending and screwing me over but at least it has decency' - Jackie twisting my words.

'In a war in heaven, Angels fall first'

[url=http://indrick.mypersonality.info][img]http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/17/175572.png[/img][/url]

Kitsunegami
Marquis

Post by Kitsunegami » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:16 am

Jyya was in the dining hall and looking at the various foods offered. There were a surprising number of foods available from all across Feila. After a bit of deliberation, she settled on a rather simple salad and some squab, which she took over to a table near a window. She opened her tome and begin writing some more notes, both on what happened before she attacked Zodt, and how she had made the way-gate.

Even in her 'over-charged' condition, she didn't have the power required to finish the spell. All in all, it took 7 days worth of stored magic from the talismans, and the ambient magic she absorbed in the ark.. It was almost inconceivable on paper. The only reason it succeeded as well as it had was because she linked it with a leyline.

Had that leyline not been there, she could only have transported them to the entry chamber. Size directly correlates to the power required to construct the entry and exit. But most notable was the amount of power it required to link the two. It took tremendous power beyond anything she had previously noted, the leylines themselves were absolutely vital to cover a distance of any consequence.

Jyya marveled at her calculations, the numbers were astronomical. If the average Feilan only measured to 5 powers, and the above-average mage measured at 30 powers. Then the measure of power required to construct both ends of a gate and connect the two, even with the assistance of a leyline, measured in the realm of 1000 powers. There were likely easier ways to generate a long-distance transportation method via magic, but it seemed beyond the scope of what she could comprehend.

The way she calculated a single power, was the average amount of magic needed to cast a basic, non-elemental 'bolt' of magic. Like an arrow of ice, only without being attuned to the ice element. The measure of powers a fur had was not so much limited to 'daily' amounts, merely an extended period of rest and recovery. The average mage measured somewhere between 15 and 20 powers, and could fully recover this spent power after around 2 to 3 hours of rest. She rated herself around 15 powers, but that was considering that she had expended all of her other resources. Each of her talismans contained at least 2 powers worth of magic, and when at full strength, she could make several talismans of varying power...

It was at that moment that her train of thought was derailed by one of the random students. It seems that word of her injuries weren't enough to deter this student...

"I heard that you came up with some kind of focusing spell, and that you gave a few out to the expedition. Got any more?" the young todd asked.

"Well, yes and no. I did develop the incantation, the magic circle, and the process of sealing the spell into a talisman, along with the spell itself. I did also give some to the members of the expedition. However you should listen to the tales of what happened in the ark. I had to use every last talisman I had to forge the gateway out before the ark collapsed in upon itself." she said, allowing the gravity of the information fully sink-in.

"Erm... So..." he said, seeming to flounder in his own words.

With a sigh, she gave the slightest smile, "I can give you one this evening before sunset. Just tell me how long you want it to last. Duration and strength are directly related. The longer it is, the weaker it is."

"Oh, wow, umm. Let's see... If it's possible, I'd like it to last all day. I've got a lot of research to do over the next few days, and being a bit sharper will help it go more smoothly." the todd said with a flustered look.

"I can manage that, though it probably won't be as strong as you would like. Just keep in mind that I have done all the preparation work on the talisman, and will probably give you 2 talismans that will last 10 hours instead. That will give you a much greater focus and you can use one for a single day's research. You will need only focus on the talisman to activate it. It will burn up as fast as any other piece of paper, but the flames will not burn you. One last thing before I ask that you leave me to my notes and meal. Do not attempt to alter the talisman in any way other than folding it, or piercing it away from the circle and symbols. This could have catastrophic results." she said shortly before waving him off. She sneezed shortly after he stepped away.

Ugh... I'm beginning to feel all the wards again... I need to make one of my talismans again just so I can be at peace while I recover. she thought to herself, twitching her whiskers back and forth a few times. She finished her meal after deciding that it was time that she actually start making a few talismans. Speculation and experimentation could wait so long as her whiskers were driving her mad.

It was shortly after 1:30 pm that she left the dining hall, notes, meal, and conversation included. She returned to her locked trunk, and retrieved her talisman making materials. She found herself sitting in the same garden area she had the afternoon before the expedition, determined to create 3 talismans, and only 3...

Sade

Post by Sade » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:20 pm

A noise intruded on the silence, a knocking at his door both a barely-perceptible disturbance far off in the distance and a thunderous booming reverberating painfully through his mental haze. Nessus responded to the noise by offering no response. He did not even wonder at who it might be or what they might want, and he neither despised the intrusion nor welcomed it. Any of these things would imply some kind of normal mental process, which the noise failed to generate. It was one more of a million things which simply no longer mattered.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amelia cautiously opened an eyelid. All was still. She opened both eyes and attempted to prop herself up in bed only to encounter the first difficulty of having one arm. Instead she had to slide back and lean against the headboard. The room was pleasant enough. Plaster concealed the stone construction of the wards, decorated by small pieces of artwork here and there. The door to the right of her bed was slightly ajar and two large windows behind her head were cracked to allow through a fresh breeze and the pleasant smells of the grounds below. To her left was a small shelf with a few of her personal possessions, and immediately to her right was an end table. Her brow furrowed. Someone had placed a bouquet of local wildflowers there next to her bed; beautiful splashes of color which seemed to brighten the room. For the briefest of moments she forgot all about her insane schemes, until she tried to reach for the plants with an arm she no longer had.

No, no this didn't change anything. Guilt and sympathy would only last so long, and then people would slowly lose interest and move onto other things, and then she would be alone again. She didn't want their charity. Men didn't glance sidelong whenever she walked by because of sympathy or charitable intentions, they did it because she had been worth looking at. Now she would not be worth observing. Now they would all politely look away. *Oh, yes, hello there miss. As you can see I'm politely pretending you aren't a cripple by looking the other way and completely ignoring your presence.*

Her remaining hand balled into a fist. *What is that, you need help crossing the street? Oh sure, I'll help you, because we are all socially responsible people here and we care for our disabled freaks.*

"Stop it!" she screamed at the empty room, moving to grab the bouquet, flopping around on the bed, trying to twist and turn over. The more she struggled the more difficult a time she had at such a simple thing as grabbing something, and the more vehemently that mock-sympathetic inner voice drilled holes into her psyche. She tumbled to the floor, reached up, grabbed the bouquet and went to tear it up- but couldn't. *Would you like me to help you with that? You see, I'm pretending to acknowledge you as a person even though you aren't and you make me sick and you make me want to leave the room so I don't have to see you and-* The vixen emitted a noise like a scream and a snarl, grabbed the other end of the bouquet between her fangs and tore it to pieces.

The sudden exertion after so long in bed finally overcame her. Prostate on the floor, surrounded by torn and crushed petals, she lay unconscious.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A library card? The speaker was on the verge of strangling the cat where he stood. Yesss, then she would cut him into little pieces, and feed those pieces to the monkey, and then strangle the monkey too! Of course, in reality, she would never do something like that, and the cat had continued speaking before she had a chance to say something unpleasant.

"Which name is the card in?"

*Guess, you little-!* She cut the thought short with a small, subconscious chopping motion of her hands, took a mental step back from the precipice, took a deep breath. "Leviathan. The card will be under Leviathan's name. Leviathan will be the one, using the library," she explained slowly and carefully, more for the sake of her own self control than any implied insult to the monkey's translator. They were two of a kind, after all... only she translated for an important individual, not a smelly animal. Behind her, her tiny charge's shoulders jerked in a silent chuckle at his attendant's frustrations, and he moved slowly forwards to watch with interest as the librarian manipulated the magically linked library cards.

Finally addressing him directly, the cat asked, "eh, what did you come to research, sir?"

The speaker relayed his response with the different tone of voice she reserved for her duty, however she obscured what the mouse had meant as a joke with her own anger, "I see you have finally deigned to address me directly, child. Perhaps the world has changed much since my time, but where I come from, it is considered rude to ignore one's elders."

What followed was what appeared to be an extended and completely silent exchange between the mouse and the rat. Neither spoke and the mouse's expression remained perpetually pleased, however various different expressions washed over the speaker's face. "Alright! Alright," she relented in her own voice, turning back to face Caraennyn, "Leviathan was only joking. I may have... colored his humor just a little with my own feelings. In response to your question, he came to research, as he says, 'everything, and nothing.'"

"Uuuugh!" The rat-brute thumped up behind them and shoved a big ball of mud containing a single, small, crumpled flower into the cat's hands, then proceeded to sit on the floor and glare at him... or maybe through him. He seemed not to notice that he had tracked mud everywhere.

The speaker was utterly perplexed, but Leviathan seemed to take it in stride. He spoke through her- as evidenced by her change in tone- to the brutish feilan, "ah, yes, excellent idea! We should start with botany, shouldn't we."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Morning good, you are how?"

The armored proto-kahunian rubbed at his eyes. His mouth did a passable job at shaping one of the few words in Gawainian he had learned so far: "hangover." It shouldn't have been surprising by now. He was always drinking heavily later at night, and he always reported a hangover. The lizard cast Logan a forlorn gaze from the red nova's of his eyes, held it for a few moments, and then his face suddenly lifted and he hissed excitedly, "acccept not hangover!"

He stalked over to a window in his tent. Having now depleted his Gawainian, he dropped back into Kahunian, "I make them think it. They sssay, look there, itsss the lisssard, he'sss drunk, and he'sss a lisssard, letsss ignore him. But, I am not drunk, I only make them think it. They go about, doing what they do, and I watch, and I lisssten..."

"But, I am rude," he rasped, turning back to the wolf, "how isss Logan, today?"

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:37 pm

Matteo was not really surprised at the lack of response from inside the room. After all, that had been the norm for the past two weeks. He turned to the other two students with him. "All right, on three. One, two-"
BAM! The door was slammed open as the three students charged into the room. Nessus was lying there on his bed, looking worse than ever. "Sorry about this professor, but suicide by neglect is frowned upon here." Matteo grabbed the rat's shoulders, another student lifted from the waist, and the last one from the hind feet.
It was but the work of a moment to hustle the emaciated rat to the bath house prepared by the Dean. "Again, one, two-"
Splash! There was nothing like a dunk, or several dunks if necessary, in ice water to elicit some reaction. Beside the tub, there were warmed towels ready, as well as a nourishing drink. The Dean had thought this through a little more that Matteo.

As the shifts changed from the night staff to the day staff, one of the healers, Miranda, heard crashing sounds coming from the infirmary. Rushing to Amelia's room, she was momentarily in shock at the destruction. She quickly recovered, though, cleaning her patient up as best she could, and putting her back to bed. "Oh, dear, I hope she didn't have a seizure. And why did she do that to that nice lemur's flowers? Well, I should probably tell the Dean what's happened."

Caraennyn, meanwhile, was desperately wishing that he were somewhere, anywhere, else other than here. The Librarian took the situation with calmness. Provided his office and the books were given the proper respect, he could deal with any attitude of Library patrons. The orangutan quickly made up a card in Leviathan's name and presented it to him, as if he and not the speaker were to take hold of it.
Caraennyn, on the contrary, shrank back from the response to his question, shuffling his feet and staring at the ground as if wishing that it would swallow him up. "Er, well, here its impolite to speak to Elders unless they are your teachers, or unless you are spoken to." Then the cat realized that Leviathan couldn't specifically speak to him, and shrunk even further into himself. "Er, that is, I mean, uh..." Now he really was wishing the ground would swallow him.
He was only minimally relieved to hear that Leviathan meant no malice, because his speaker obviously did. "Um, I take it then you'll be here a while, then..."
And then on top of everything else, the brute rat put a ball of dirt in Caraennyn's hands. "Ook, eek." The cat translated, "Section 200. Starts first shelf to the right."

Sade

Post by Sade » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:38 pm

Leviathan, still finding the whole situation amusing, patted Caraennyn weakly on the arm as he shuffled carefully past. His speaker didn't quite glare at him, but her expression wasn't particularly warm or pleasant. Whatever she had been thinking, it quickly changed when her charge came to a halt and braced his hands on his knees, appearing suddenly to be winded. "Maybe we should come back later," she suggested hesitantly, concern obvious in her voice, but he waved her off, took a few seconds to recover, and continued into the library. The speaker cast a brief, worried look back to the cat and his monkey, and proceeded to follow.

The rat brute was clearly disturbed in some way by the cavernous space and its many great shelves arranged in various gravity-defying ways; he had stopped at the first row, and his extremely over-developed musculature had visibly tensed beneath his matted coat as his dim eyes shifted sluggishly around. Instead of following, the brute ducked back outside and proceeded to dig up one of the gardens. Obviously he preferred a more hands-on approach to scholarly research... or perhaps he liked the taste of worms. One couldn't quite be sure which.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Three dunks all in all had been necessary to bring Nessus' conscious mind out of hiding. The first drew no reaction; by the second his body had decided that this was a survival situation and responded reflexively by waving arms around and sputtering; only after the third was he clearly awake, aware, and muttering language both ancient and incredibly... unrefined, at his assailants. Matteo might be able to understand some of it, but, for the benefit of his companions, Nessus shifted into Gawainian. "I w-w-w-was p-p-p-proud of you, f-f-fa-f-for the w-way you t-t-t-took the p-p-p-p-p-punishment... b-b-but n-now... I have t-t-to k-k-k-kill you," he stammered, teeth chattering, and pulled the warm towels closer around him.

The next half an hour proved psychologically hazardous. He wasn't quite sure how he had ended up in this bath house, soaking wet and icy cold, but he dare not try to remember anything. He could feel the unspeakable horrors hovering in the deeper recesses of his mind just beyond his perception; horrible thoughts and memories of pain lurked there. Instead he focused on drinking the obviously nutritious but thankfully neutral-tasting broth they had provided him, and made sure to move his eyes every once in a while lest they think he'd drifted off and needed more dunking.

An hour later he found himself seated in the Dean's office, looking like an emaciated, haggard, but neatly dressed zombie. He clearly hadn't been the one who did the dressing either, as he'd had to be practically carried in, and he had slumped immediately upon being set down on the chair. Asking why he was here didn't occur to him, though the badger clearly looked to have something on her mind. She also looked overworked and slightly angry, but he took that for granted.

Kitsunegami
Marquis

Post by Kitsunegami » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:00 pm

It had taken Jyya a little longer to set-up her circle of runes, and easel than it had last time she prepared talismans, but she was still at half-strength. It was after she completed her first talisman that she took it, and used it. The result was immediate, her senses dulling to magic enough to give her some respite within the wards of the UU.

"Alright, time to start on the next few talismans." she said as she prepared her next talisman. It was at this time that she realized that she had something of an audience. There were a few students in various locations watching her within her circle of runes as symbols etched themselves onto paper. The runes themselves glowed faintly as they became active during the inscription of the talismans. Her method was simple, but only she could teach it. Use of her method without her training could have explosive results.

She laughed a bit on the inside at the thought, but said it anyway, "Alright, my audience. Hehe, don't try this at home. I'd hate to find any of you in the healer's ward after trying this." After having said that, she resumed work on the 2nd and 3rd talisman. From within the circle of runes, more happened than what appeared to, from the outside of the circle.

Indrick151
King
Species: Wolf
Location: Before the altar, below the earth, above the heavens

Post by Indrick151 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:57 am

To Logan many of the lizards words once he lapsed in Kahunian became little more than a cacophony of hissing sounds, Logan was almost completely clueless about what his friend as saying. He had as much chance of understanding most of what the lizard said as he had of defeating a Dyshulian necromancer in one on one combat. Nil. Even though he couldn’t understand much, it was to his credit that he did understand the words drunk, lizard and I. And even what he heard in Gawainian confused him slightly, but he thought perhaps the lizard was saying it was not a hangover, at least the excitement and energetic hissing suggested otherwise. So he chose to replace ‘accept’ with ‘except’, and hope that was what the lizard meant.

“I’m good thank youâ€
'reality is bending and screwing me over but at least it has decency' - Jackie twisting my words.

'In a war in heaven, Angels fall first'

[url=http://indrick.mypersonality.info][img]http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/17/175572.png[/img][/url]

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:50 pm

The look the speaker shot Caraennyn with was an all too familiar one. Not so much sorrow or anger, but a kind of exasperation with his existence. His Master had given him that look every time he'd had to bail the cat out of yet another bit of trouble. Caraennyn was grateful, of course, that he bothered at all, but he'd be hard pressed to explain why anyone would.
*And she knows it, too.* He thought as he wandered out of the library, kicking at pebbles. *Why would anyone do anything like that for me? Have I been anything more than a burden? Certainly on our last journey, I wasn't much help. Had to be carried at one point. Could I actually do anything useful without landing myself into something I couldn't get out of?* He paused with that thought. It was more of a despairing rhetorical question than anything else, but the cat had to admit, he had no clear answer. He'd never actually been left to deal with the whole consequences of any situation before by himself; someone had always bailed him out. *Maybe if I was given a chance to try... I am going to get the jounreyman's vest sometime soon.*
He'd been standing stock still during this last, mouth slightly open, looking not unlike a weaker version of the rat brute when he wasn't moving. Which he was, actually, digging up the gardens. "Hey, Hey!" Caraennyn shouted, noting the brute for the first time. "Don't dig up the bulbs! Get at the long, skinny grass. If the botanomancy professor sees you doing that, he'll give you sweetmeats." Caraennyn remembered those weeds as being the only kind of grass with a taproot, again a Wexlar oddity. Notoriously difficult to uproot, though Caraennyn had little doubt the rat could handle it.

For the first time in days, Matteo was almost completely his old self again. Quite probably it came with the discovery that his favorite professor hadn't died yet. He took the curses with a smile, and stored them in his head for later. "Oh, come on, professor, if I can handle this, you can handle this. Here, drink." The lemur said, handing Nessus the mug. "Good to have you back, sir." He said in a low, more serious voice as the rat drank.

'Death warmed over' seemed an apt enough description to the Dean's mind of Nessus as she looked him over. Her feelings at this point were a messy triangulation of lingering but fading suspicion, comradeship of a colleague with whom one had passed through a trial, and concern over a student. It was weird, to say the least. She focused on the last two as much as possible. "I regret the necessity of extreme measures, but I am glad to see you about, albeit you do not look well. Matteo may be a bit of a loose screw, but you're one of the better screwdrivers we have for him. I'd be eager not to lose you on that account, and he is not the only student of yours I fear we shall have to deal with... issues, from." The Badger sighed as she reread a short memo from the healer's ward concerning Amelia. "Before you ask, Amelia's bodily recovery is proceeding very well, but her mind... I don't know quite enough about that yet. From what I suspect, the problem is emotional more than anything else."
"But that's not the only thing." Dr. Martin had been pacing to burn off tension, but now sank back into a chair. "The fact is, I'm rather curious as to what caused your funk. I believe Zodt is involved, and I know nothing about her, save a few facts. Obviously, she has influence among the Ark Dysuhlians; I remember her leading them here in orderly manner, and being representative of them while Leviathan was unconscious. I know she is a Jird, which combines magic focused by the mind with the sort focused by the body. We are familiar with both disciplines, but have yet to come across one who had so obviously mastered both. I think we may also have one student among us with the potential to become one, but only time can tell with that. And I know that... you and she knew each other; I know not how, I know not how much. But it was enough that whatever could pass between you could cut to the very soul."
"If there are things you do not wish to tell me, now or ever, I understand. I do wish you would tell me something though. I've been trying to view you as a friend, and I think I'm succeeding. I would also like to count Zodt as an ally, but I know I failing. We cannot afford to lose any potential support..." She trailed off, eyes closed, head bent down. "I am sorry to put what must be a personal tragedy in such harsh pragmatic light, but... I do not easily admit nothing can be done. I'm just too stubborn. Most of us here are, I suppose. We'd have no chance otherwise."

Sade

Post by Sade » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:35 pm

"Azzzad," the lizard carefully enunciated, taking extra care to pronounce the Z in Azad so as to avoid confusion with S. Having noticed Logan's confusion at his previous statements, he tried to stay within the confines of his limited Gawainian. Just as the wolf had trouble with the variable hissing integral to much of Kahunian, Azad had trouble creating the guttural noises of the southern languages. "Meansss 'Free'... in Kahunian."

"Isss... isss joke," he insisted, though his face dropped slightly and he absentmindedly rubbed his wrists. The scale plating there had been worn down by heavy shackles.

The remains of his clan had given him the name upon his birth in the dark, dank slums encircling the black city, as both a symbol of hope for the future and a symbol of defiance against the tyranny slowly destroying their culture. The few other young ones had all considered it hilarious. The name had been a joke to them two times over: first, he most certainly wasn't free, and second, the lizard could barely pronounce his own name. The letter Z was not very popular among his people.

He caught himself drifting into the past and moved his hands back to his sides. He couldn't really smile, but the nova eyes picked up slightly, "Azzzad, hard sssay. Isss joke isss."

"Do what now? Drink?" He dropped into Kahunian, and caricatured someone peeking around a corning, "ssspy?" Back into Gawaining, "drink? Look... sssky? Ssssssss..." the language failed him: back into Kahunian, mimicking someone picking plants, "find herbsss?"

"Drink?"

------------------------------------------------------------

The fact that the rat brute had any idea what Caraennyn was saying should have been simply astonishing; the brute, though mute and apparently unintelligent, was used to languages spoken in Dysuhl, such as the language of the namesake and other lesser used languages from amongst the lower classes. Despite this, he clearly caught the gist of what the cat was saying. Clearly, the cat wanted another big ball of mud. The rat brute promptly wadded together a huge, dripping pile about two feet across, all the while keeping those dull, inset eyes locked on the cat.

He hefted the newly formed projectile and prepared to throw.

-------------------------------------------------------------

*One of the better screwdrivers...* Nessus smiled weakly. He got the distinct impression that the Dean was being unusually kind to him, and the sneaking suspicion immediately dawned upon him that a distinctly unpleasant subject might soon come about. The mention of Amelia gave him a brief, welcome psychological refuge, one which he grabbed onto immediately, *by Dysuhl, I never visited Amelia!* His thoughts raced about the outlandish gifts he would bring her and such nonsense, trying to flee whatever was to come.

"But that's not the only thing."

And then the Dean continued, and then Nessus mind clamped down as hard is it could. But the words kept coming through. He could not avoid them. He could not unhear them. He blinked rapidly, trying to stave off tears- tears which his newly hydrated body had to spare in spades. "She has influence," he began weakly, voice wavering and breaking, hands fidgeting subconsciously, "the... free slaves, and peasants, and... lowest-class citizens respect her for what she has done. The necromancers an-and upper-class citizens followed her because they were lost and isolated, and individually they fear her for her past deeds, and the actions of her... followers, I guess, would be a good word."

Nessus' sunken black eyes shifted restlessly, holding at various times the floor, any one of the Dean's desks, or odds and ends on shelves at the center of his vision. He was beginning to slouch progressively more against the chair, and when he spoke again his voice was even weaker than it had been before. The conversation was sucking the life right out of him, the pent up emotion threatening to explode his skull into millions of pieces and send his brains to splatter against the ceiling. Or so he felt. "Zodt was what you might call an insurgent... or a freedom fighter... or a terrorist. And we were close, very close- I could look into her eyes and see..." but that train of thought collapsed spactacularly. He mustered his remaining strength and tried again, "we were lovers, and we were close, but our... our political views did not mesh. I thought we could make things work, and I enjoyed her company even as her thugs attacked manufactories or destroyed aqueducts. I was happy unlike I had been ever before and since, and I thought...and I think she was as well."

"All that changed when she headed an attack against one of the military academies, an attack which engulfed an entire wing in hellfire and killed many of my peers, and cohorts, and... friends. I couldn't turn my back anymore. I confronted her, and she tried to tell me what you and I know so well now. Dysuhl was corrupt, she said. Furs, all furs, deserve to live free, she said. The new government- by which I assume she meant Vedicus growing influence- had been infiltrated by some kind of evil, she said. She told me these things. She pleaded with me to see them, but in my patriotic fervor and stubbornness I refused. She was wanted for her crimes by every faction in the government... I tried to apprehend her. I awoke a week later with a cracked skull- five broken ribs- a broken leg and arm- and various internal injuries with which our healers struggled greatly..."

"And...and... I would suffer them all over again, if... if only she would j-just..." and then, the damns broke. His eyes squeezed shut, and he sobbed and wailed with absolutely no consideration for his own dignity. Such little things as self image had become meaningless. He cried out about his agonies; she wouldn't even look at him, she wouldn't speak, her eyes once held wonderful things, but now they only held burning anger and pain and he didn't understand where they had come from and he wanted her back but he was powerless- absolutely powerless- utterly powerless- to make it happen.

Minutes of this passed.

He stumbled out of his chair, toppled over onto the ground, scrambled up onto the Dean's desk, eyes wide and wild, grabbed at the Dean's sleeve. "I don't know what she wants! I don't know what to do!" He screamed at her and buried his head in her sleeve- the only source of anything even remotely akin to feilan warmth in the room- and alternatively mumbled nonsense or gave off muffled cries.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:19 pm

(Hope you don't mind if I GM your brute a little bit, Sade.)

"Umm..." Caraennyn hadn't meant for the rat to make another mud ball. On the other hand, as an earth-type mage, he'd played games with these things many times before. *So, he wants to play does he? Well, I don't mind. It'll take my mind off that speaker.*
The game was a simple one of catch. The object was simply to extend your control to the ball of mud to catch it without getting splattered. Caraennyn did cheat a bit by beginning to reach out magically to the ball before the brute threw it, but it was a good thing he did, because the ball was thrown so fast that the cat couldn't have caught it otherwise. "Whew! Nice throw; your turn now!"
The cat threw it back, and the brute seemed to understand as well. Such was the size of his hands that he was able to catch it without magical enhancement. Then he threw it back, without any prior warning whatsoever.
Caraennyn panicked when he saw the ball of earth hurtling toward him; instead of catching it, he used a binggen technique to bounce it back. The mudball bounced at a somewhat screwy angle, however, and both contestants lost sight of it.
Some seconds later, Caraennyn flinched when he heard a distant splat and cry. *Oh, God, I've hit somebody. A professor, with my luck, or worse, one of the Dysuhlians.* He briefly considered running, but it was pointless. So, he just leaned and collapsed against a wall, burying his face in his hands. This had been an awful day, and he hadn't even had a proper breakfast yet.

Meanwhile, in the Dean's office.

Dr. Martin had made no interruption to Nessus' narrative. This was partly because nothing could be said to someone baring his soul, and if that was not what Nessus was doing, he could have fooled her. *A play could be made of this, for it is certainly the material from which epic tragedies are made.* Also, the Dean had her sympathies rather equally distributed. While Zodt certainly had nailed the political situation, and was certainly aligned with the UU insofar as that went... to attack a school just seemed a little overboard. Also, she suspected that Zodt would have had better luck convincing Nessus to join her if she'd laid out her argument before the attack.
When Nessus went to pieces on the Dean's arm, she tried to comfort him as best she could. Students would sometimes do this, but never for reasons that cut this deep. Alternatively murmuring as much comforting words as Nessus did nonsensical ones, and cleaning him off with a handkerchief, she never considered that he might find this a little degrading, being treated like a child, especially by her. All she though of was the brokenness of a... friend? Yes, friend, in front of her.
"I do not know what she wants, either. She has spoken to no one, hardly surprising, considering the language barrier. I suppose you being the only translator at present would affect that to. If there were any of us she would talk to..." She trailed off, not sure what else to say, until a question came up. "Nessus... were any of those killed in the attack on the academy students?" She had distinctly remembered that Nessus had not mentioned any. All people have a sin that they cannot bring themselves to forgive, and for the Dean the deliberate killing of a student, any student, was hers.

The messenger sent for Jyya did not wish to interrupt her display, mostly because he was interested himself. Putting down his written missive near the kangaroo rat, he settled back to watch.