Welcome to the World of Feila!

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

No Job too big, too small, or too Unusual (Miles and Co.)

This is where all of the medieval Gawain role-plays are archived.
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx
United States of America

No Job too big, too small, or too Unusual (Miles and Co.)

Post by Rackenhammer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:14 pm

In so far as the Dresden Free Mercenaries had a motto, it was what was posted on the tavern door whenever they were hiring out:
"No Job too big, too small, or too unusual."
Appropriate enough; the group had been formed under unusual circumstances, from a small act that had snowballed into something huge, and thus they felt equipped to handle anything.
Who were they? Well...
-Miles Rackenhammer von Wexlar, leader and founder. An 18 year-old deformed ferret noble, who had hidden from everyone but his officers his true identity. Most here knew him as "General Rackenhammer."
-Thari and his daughter Lena, two wolves that were a part of Miles' original retinue, the ferret's bodyguard and the bodyguard's daughter. The daughter was as beautiful as the father ugly. The older male had great experience in physical combat, armed and unarmed. His daughter was a mage, unskilled but promising.
-Rulf Halas, a grey fox that was also part of Miles' retinue. A healer whose services were gratefully received by all.
-Tansa Eddenbrook, a former assassin, who while blind was perhaps one of the most formidable fighters on the team. Rulf had performed a master work of healing to save her life, and from that things have started to develop...
-Pierre Montcalm, a red fox and former bandit. Of Domusian extraction, Pierre was nothing if not chivalrous. A skilled flamberge wielder and a flamboyant dresser.
All of these were aware of their leader's identity. Still in the dark were:
-Ashe Juday, another former bandit, and the cook. This female feline was sharp of tongue and temper, but loyal, and endures with unusual patience the unrequited advances of Pierre.
-Orion, yet another former bandit, a squirrel forester.
-Chaz, a former (you guessed it) bandit, an Edwinsh longbowman.
-Fallo, the newest recruit, a dog trainee and, yes, a former bandit.

One could see from the roster what kind of recruiting methods Miles used.
Thing was, Miles and company never got sent on anything but bandit clearing missions. Some had proved more difficult and/or prosperous than others, but they were all of the same basic pattern.
Miles was a master strategist, and he was bored. What he wished for more than ever, as he treated his troops to a round of beer from the funds from the latest mission, was someone to take the notice at it's word.

One should be careful about wishes...
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Sponsor

Rainwhisker
King
Species: Lynx canadensis

Post by Rainwhisker » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:36 pm

Blue eyes flashed as they read the notice. The name had been quite familiar to him - the famous Dresden Free Mercenaries. They were by far some of the best, and despite all his personal efforts, the feline could not find any better method to personally confront the duke. Not in his well-guarded Chateau, and his guards take no prisoners.

The turkish van entered the tavern. "With whom do I speak to if I have a problem I need assistance with?" he said, in a clear Edwinish voice, speaking Gawainian. His sharp eyes scanned the room, intently, as if he was preying for something.
Image Image- I pranked/shot Felia. Mwahahaaha!

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:22 pm

Even here, this deep in Gawain, it wasn't totally unheard of to have a wanderer from Edwin, despite the animosities between the two nations, and the two peoples. While no merchant or tavern keeper would refuse coin from one, he would probably want a good deal more than usual.
The determined could with effort, overcome this prejudice, much like Chaz had done in his services to the locals as a bandit-catcher. He had certainly reconciled Miles to the fact that there were redeemable qualities to the Edwinsh.
"Well, now," the young ferret said, in pose, voice, and idiom that fit a role meant to make him look older than he was, "That rather depends on the kind of problem you have, and how much you are willing to pay for help."
He spoke calmly, though inwardly he was panting with excitement. He was eager for something to break the routine, but eagerness doesn't help with price negotiations. "Advice, however, is quite free. Bartender, put this cat's drink on my tab, and now," Miles motioned to an empty chair around the table he, Thari, and Lena sat at, "Do tell what you need help with."

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Post by Kitsunegami » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:05 pm

Tansa sat so that she would have a clear view of Miles table, and all those at it, while wearing her thick black blindfold, and common clothing. She was sitting with Rulf and sharing a meal and drink with him. "I have become fond of you in the time we've traveled together. I think that we could get to know each other a bit better." she said, blushing a little.

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:09 pm

Zack was lead by the leader himself to his chair. Besides the ferret were two wolves, a male and a female. Bodyguards, he thought they were. He called to the bartender. "A glass of hot milk is all I need." Goat's milk was essentially the drink the cat and his two closest friends thrived on. A personal favourite since a young age; and he had heard Gawain's was notoriously delicious.

He looked to Miles Rackenhammer and looked at his figure for a moment; deformed, yet a strong will seems to reside behind his eyes. The turkish van blinked. "Forgive me, I don't meant to stare." He nodded.

"I came here because I've tracked down a fur that may bear responsibility to the disappearance of my family." he said, keeping a straight face. He wanted to appear confident. "The problem being, his estate is heavily guarded." As if on cue, the cat shuffled his seating, forcing a bag of coins in a sack tied to his belt to jingle. To an experienced ear, it felt like a heavy sum.

"Allow me to introduce myself." he bowed his head curtly. "My name is Zack Lightfang. My family is known for our exploits in exploration and ruin excavation throughout all of Felia, though due to legal and safety reasons we don't operate in Gawain."

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:32 pm

It was usually hard to tell when a fur was blushing, since fur covered most faces, but the insides of the ears was a pretty reliable indicator. Rulf wondered if Tansa could sense what shade his own ears were (the same as Tansa's, for the record), even with no normal eyesight. *Probably, I've yet to see her caught off-guard because of her blindness.*
"Indeed, I've... come to like you very much myself. Heh, if you'd asked me a year ago if any healer could feel like that towards an assassin, even a former assassin, I would have laughed. But... well, I think we've all come to know things, and each other a little better for all we've been through."
Rulf couldn't help but wonder if that was what was called for in the situation. *When in doubt, be honest.* The fox spared a peek over to his liege-lord's table. "Don't look now, but I think we might be on the road, soon."

In everything except wine and brandy, which the Domusians had long been the master brewers, Gawain had the best drinks anywhere. They were most famous for ale and beer, but the milk was particularly fine.
Miles could hear the bartender mutter as he walked away from the drink he'd put in front of Zack. Something along the lines of, "Pussycat can't handle anything stronger." Probably best not to mention that.
Miles waved away the stare. "One gets used to it after enough years."
Rulf had been more or less right in his assessment. Miles had been itching for something like this, and now his opportunity had literally walked in the front door.
Miles returned the bow with a nod. "Pleasure to meet you, Zack. I am, as you have no doubt heard, the General Myles Rackenhammer. I can introduce you to the rest after we finalize our contract.
"Now, to business. I gather we are needed for an infiltration or break-in. So far, so good. But I am a little unclear as to our object. Is it to kill this fur in revenge? To rescue your family from his clutches? To gather information or steal relevant objects? A combination of any of those? These are questions mostly for price. The big question, however, is against whom we would be going. Who is this fur you have referred to?"
There were very few people whom Miles would not act against, mostly for his father's sake. Whatever role the ferret could take up, he knew that he could not betray who he really was.

darkkitsune
Duke

Post by darkkitsune » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:58 pm

Upon hearing the name 'Lightfang', a young, shadowy raccoon got up from her seat at the bar, paid the barkeeper for the drinks and staggered out into the street. After going to the next alleyway, she become less in a stupor and disappeared into the shadows. She met up with her client, a ferret with a wolf bodyguard, to give her report that the target made contact with Miles. The ferret thanked her and said that she should come with him to see her employer. The raccoon stepped back saying, "that wasn't part of the deal, I did my part. Pay me and I will be on my way..." Where the burly bodyguard steps up to her and grabs her neck and lifts her in the air, "...but you know, I think that you make a persuasive argument. I think that I will go," she squeaked out going limp. The bodyguard lets go and she loses consciousness. "Let's get her to the Count before she wakes up and has a chance to escape," the ferret said looking down at the raccoon. The wolf picks her up like a sack of potatoes and goes to a wagon full of supplies and the ferret and wolf drive off.

Back at the tavern, a dark, tattooed fox with multiple tails looks at the sign and goes through the door hand on his short sword and stands there for a second for his eyes to adjust to the darkness. After, he goes to the bartender orders a drink and says, "I heard that Miles will take any type of job. If he is here, could you point him out? I need to locate a lost raccoon that is part of the yakuza. She took a job that might be too much for her skills and I don't trust the client at all."
Last edited by darkkitsune on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Let's light them on fire some morrrre."
Group of ninja burst into flames...again

If any of the stories that I am in need revising, please PM me, so that I make the changes. Because I would like to have the stories make sense and flow better. (In the PM tell which story needs changing and how, please?)

Feila IRC Chat

Image I, insert name DESTROYED Feila *Evil laughter*

My Characters

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Post by Kitsunegami » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:20 pm

Tansa leaned against Rulf a bit, picking up that he was blushing as well since his ears radiated a little more heat than usual, she could feel him blushing. She rested her head on his shoulder, nuzzling his shoulder a little as she took a subtle sniff of him.

She was a little surprised how comforting his presence was, and a little alarmed on the inside by how comfortable he made her feel. She had observed these reactions in others. Couples being 'lovey-dovey' and how much their awareness dropped.

It was only when the fox approached the bartender and mentioned a raccoon that she noticed the raccoon was indeed absent. She kept an eye on this fox, having heard him ask about Miles.

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:30 am

Zack leaned, ignoring the blatant chiding of the bartender, waving it off. He drew closer still, and simply answered the ferret's question. "I simply want this fur to reveal to me the family. In short, I wish to speak to him in person." he flicked his tail - the thought of finally catching the cornered Duke and having his answers brought a slight smile to play on his lips. "His estate is heavily guarded - and I need your help to have a face to face chat with him. His fate...shall be decided when we reach there." he knew the eventual question would come, but he waited all the same.

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:44 pm

(Remember Dark, just because I know OOC that it's Batym Zack's talking about, IC Miles doesn't know.)

There were times before, and times would come after. when Rulf Halas truly regretted swearing his service to Miles. This was most emphatically not one of them. Currently, his only care in the world was how Tansa would react to the paw the grey fox was extending to wrap around her shoulders, the leopard now nuzzling into the curve of his neck and shoulder.
His peaceful, private reverie was dispelled when he detected Tansa tensing up at the newcomer's mention of the raccoon... and Miles. With nary a showing of his inner annoyance, he turned his attention back to his liege-lord for his reaction.

Miles himself remained calm, closing his eyes and steepling his fingers under his chin. "So... essentially, for the sake of your justice, we are to apprehend and interrogate the sort of person who by class apprehends and interrogates, not always justly. On principle, this is a fine thing, a Golden Contract, in fact. There's just one little problem. For all I know, you're talking about his majesty the King of Gawain, or Edwin for that matter!" *Or the Duke my father.* "I don't commit treason for money, and I would have to be much more certain of myself before I turned traitor for justice. Even a mercenary is not without honor, even secondhand, as some may here attest."
The bar parlor was not especially a big one, though irregularly shaped; while there were more than four corners, they weren't all that fat from each other. Miles could see most from his vantage point, and could definitely see the newcomer, and hear him too. The ferret sighed as he called out. "I heard that. Unless by some strange coincidence you are talking of the same mysterious fur as my current client, I'm afraid you may have to wait."

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:32 pm

((I knew that, tis why he's being vague.))

The cat leaned back comfortably as General Miles began an outburst, his eyes only narrowed as he watched the ferret, reading his character. He nodded at the end, still maintaining a straight face, though he couldn't help wonder what kind of mercenary would claim to handle any job too big, small, or unusual when he's unwilling to do everything for a spot of gold.

"Right, then." he sat straight once more. "Then perhaps you would not be interested in my intended target - a corrupt, thieving duke from Domus. The vulpine son of the recently departed Duke Batym the I. He happens to own an estate here, in which, from what I gathered, was gained from a rather superfluous display of inherited wealth."

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

darkkitsune
Duke

Post by darkkitsune » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:40 pm

"It was said that the client that my young raccoon friend was employed is currently employed to a duke named Batym, though I could have gotten the wrong information. You see, I was given this information by the family of this raccoon and I didn't know if it was correct. The family is well know in the Yamaha dynasty as spies and thieves, and very good thieves at that. They can get detailed information just about anything or anyone. Well, I have probably talked your ears off. Sorry for wasting your time," Rif said as he paid for his drink bowing to group sitting at the table, "Alice did you find anything, any sign that Raliza was here?"

A light brown fennec fox appear beside the kitsune looking up, yes, she had been here but she left around couple minutes before we got here, I did track her down to the alleyway but couldn't find any trace of her after she went into the alleyway.

Upon receiving this information, he looked around and then at Alice signing, 'You did it again, you transmitted to everyone mentally without thinking...again.' Alice blushed in embarrassment, bowed to everyone in general, then signed, 'Sorry, I do that without thinking about how it would effect other furs' also mentally said sorry to everyone. After, Rif and Alice go out of the tavern to Harvest Rings that had recently opened.
"Let's light them on fire some morrrre."
Group of ninja burst into flames...again

If any of the stories that I am in need revising, please PM me, so that I make the changes. Because I would like to have the stories make sense and flow better. (In the PM tell which story needs changing and how, please?)

Feila IRC Chat

Image I, insert name DESTROYED Feila *Evil laughter*

My Characters

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:01 pm

Upon hearing the name and description of the intended mark of the contract, Miles' face cleared. Also, one could detect, on either side of him, his bodyguard Thari and Lena relax as well. The ferret resumed in a businesslike manner, "I don't remember saying anything to the effect that I wouldn't be interested in such a person. I will do the job, but the question remains as to payment-"
Just then, the singular coincidence that Miles had discounted suddenly arose. The vulpine that had walked in had indicated that the same fur, Batym, had been the kidnapper of this young raccoon, and that she was connected to the rather seamy side of the service industry. Miles regretted brushing him off now; being paid twice for the same task would have been just wonderful.
And then came a second and less pleasant interruption. "Ach, damme!" The oath rose unbidden from Miles', and quite a few others', lips as a sudden intrusion came into their mental inner sanctum. There was an apology shortly thereafter, but it was made clear to Miles that it would not due to be unwatchful of this group. Miles called over Lieutenant Pierre, who was wiping wine off of his face, the aftereffect of an unsuccessful press of suit upon the cook. Again.
"Let Captain Shadow know I'd like her to keep an eye out on that pair, and that I may want to have a word with them later on manners."

He then returned to the business at hand. "Apologies, complication always abound in this business. Now, as to payment, you propose an infiltration of an estate, and capturing it's owner. At minimum, I'd have to say that we could do the job on 50 gold augustales, half up front, plus looting privileges, since on principle this "Duke" is little more than a blue-blood bandit." Duke was a much more serious word in Gawain than elsewhere, so a note of sardonic emphasis on the term could be detected in Miles' voice. Also, the price named was actually a little high, not excessively, but there was a buffer zone for bargaining, were the customer savvy about the business of hired armies.

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:59 pm

Zack smirked as he heard the price offer. Higher than normal price, no doubt. But years of travel had made him learn many things; namely the rough prices that you'd expect from mercenaries. He no doubt had plenty more to double that amount, but he felt it wiser to display that while he was the customer, and he was not weak in any regard. "You intend to overcharge me?" he leaned onto the chair, taking a drink. "Make it fourty." if time spent in Kahun was much indication, this was just the start of the bargaining game.

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:58 am

(Gonna move this forward a little bit.)

*Ah, an informed customer.* Ratcheting his respect for the cat up one notch, Miles countered the offer. "Of course I do not intend to overcharge. My services command the prices they do for the reason that they are well deserved. Not only is our work of quality, it is one filled with expenses. The logistics involved with moving a large group of people over a large distance, gathering information while giving none away, equipment maintenance, living and travel expenses, and, especially with the kind of job you propose, bribing. If pressed, however, we could condescend to 47." Most of the verbiage was filler, as was traditional in bargaining. Each side would make their arguments as eloquent as possible, expecting to be taken with as much salt as they took the other side.
Eventually, the price was settled at 45, a fair price, all things considered. "We can start as soon as tomorrow morning, if you like. In the meantime, any more details you can give us, floor plans and the like, would help greatly." Miles hoped to get this done quickly, there was a possibility of doubling this contract he did not want to miss out on.