No Job too big, too small, or too Unusual (Miles and Co.)

This is where all of the medieval Gawain role-plays are archived.
Kitsunegami
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Re: No Job too big, too small, or too Unusual (Miles and Co.

Post by Kitsunegami » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:43 pm

Tansa nodded, sitting down next to Rulf. He was busy tending the wounded, so she wouldn't try to distract him. "Shall we use the remaining transportation to return to our point of origin, General?" she asked, yawning a little. "There should, at least, be a coach here, and the horses to pull it."

"I'll go see about the horses and any carts or carriages. I'm not feeling particularly enthused about walking back." she said after picking up her dress fro the corner, and walking out to check on transportation...

Sponsor

Rainwhisker
King
Species: Lynx canadensis

Post by Rainwhisker » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:45 am

One minute in a frenzy to chase after Batym, now the feline was soaking. Pierre had pulled him in to avoid whatever sorcery the mages had constructed to destroy the pier and shove the boat away. By now, the ship had all but reached the horizon. Spluttering, the feline coughed as he watched on his knees in defeat, picturing the fox with the relic of his desire in hand. "Damn." he muttered.

"Sacre, the general will not be pleased. Ah, but we'd best tell him anyhow. Come on then," the fox lent a hand to the cat, "You're son needs you, I think."

The father nearly shot up in panic. Taking Pierre's hand, Galvan stood straight. "Aye...Zachary...Stars protect him."
---
Galvan had just made it to the top of the stairs when he could begin to hear a faint purring that struck his heart.

Zack was rousing from unconsciousness, blinking several times and taking breaths. The feline woke to see Rulf and ached to get up but found little strength. "Zack." were the first words he heard. Almost in glee the cat tried to tilt his head but to no avail, only dropping back into the depths of sleep. "Thank the Stars," Galvan sighed, in relief. "If anything he is alive."
Image Image- I pranked/shot Felia. Mwahahaaha!

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

darkkitsune
Duke

Post by darkkitsune » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:09 am

After taking care of all the other guards that were still in the place, He made his report to Miles, "Also there is an portal that'll take you from here, Raliza is there with the rest of the prisoners. If there isn't anything else to be done here then I suggest that we depart. Oh, the portal is in between two of my earth golems." Rif bowed to Miles.

Rami and Sarah jump down from the window, "Well, that was fun..." Rami said, and we procured some treasure from this place. "hey, Rif... the portal at the end of the hallway across from the prison?" Rif nodded, "then lets go." and Rami ran in the direction of the portal as did Sarah.

"I'll be last out if you don't mind Miles?" Rif asked gesturing for them to go.
"Let's light them on fire some morrrre."
Group of ninja burst into flames...again

If any of the stories that I am in need revising, please PM me, so that I make the changes. Because I would like to have the stories make sense and flow better. (In the PM tell which story needs changing and how, please?)

Feila IRC Chat

Image I, insert name DESTROYED Feila *Evil laughter*

My Characters

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:45 pm

Miles nodded ruefully at Tansa's request. "I'm not looking forward to that march myself, especially seeing as one of our number cannot even walk-"
Galvan came in then, immediately rushing to his son's side. Rulf had been attempting to keep Zack from disturbing the bandaging process, and was relieved to have him sleep. He did, however, give a sideways look to the boy's father. "Sir, I've been a healer for most of my life now. In my experience, the stars have little to do with things like this." As easy as some in his profession made it look, magically treating wounds of this magnitude took training and skill, and it hurt not to be acknowledged. If Rulf had a weakness, it was professional pride.

Rif hadn't taken too long in mopping up, it seemed. Miles was only too willing to take the opportunity presented by the portal. "All right, then, we're all accounted for, so let's be quit of this place. Thari, call to order!"
Miles and Lena led the group to the end of the great hall where the golems were, all except Rami and Sarah, who had raced ahead. Miles had acquiesced to Rif's desire to be last, "On the condition," he'd said, "That you give me a thorough debriefing on what happened that I could not see, upon our return."
Rulf and Thari bore the stretcher as smoothly as they could across the hall, with Galvan and Tansa with them.

The portal looked simple enough. Lena determined it to be operational after inspecting it, and the group marched through. Miles wasn't quite sure where they had emerged, but he could see a few other furs that had obviously been waiting for them. He was willing to guess that the raccoon was Raliza, and the Felines were the rest of Zack's family. There were a few whom he couldn't place exactly, but whether they were other prisoners or more members of John's gang, he couldn't tell.
He smiled, however, and gave a bow in greeting. "General Myles Rackenhammer, leader of the Dresden Free Mercenary Forces, at your service, come to report a fully successful rescue, though revenge shall have to wait another day."
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:35 am

"But of course, sir. I mean no disrespect." It was frustrating that the healer had asked for acknowledgment when he was so flustered. But he was right, it was this man's skill that helped his son. "I've been fed scraps for a long while; sharp stomachs can make short graces, I'm afraid."

They carried Zack on a stretcher as they stepped onto the portal. Taking one last look at the now-desecrated estate, Galvan hopped through. Barely a blink, and the first thing he felt was a firm embrace and the sweet scent of his mate. "Annabelle," he said. Her fur was standing on end and her breaths were sharp.

"He breathes, but how is he...?"

"They heal him well. He should be fine physically, but I'm not sure that the Duke's callous method of extracting..." he stopped for a moment, watching his mate's distress. "Nay, forget it for now. He will heal, I shall give you the details later." he glanced over to his other son, who quietly watched Zack from afar. The group seemed to be in a tavern from the looks of it. Late at night, with tables already empty for the most part and the place all but evacuated except for a minor few. It wasn't long when the aroma of a fantastic meal crawled its way to his nose, and his stomach began to growl. He held his hunger for now.

"General Myles Rackenhammer, leader of the Dresden Free Mercenary Forces, at your service, come to report a fully successful rescue, though revenge shall have to wait another day." came the proud voice of the ferret. Letting go of his embrace, the feline bowed.

"I assume he has hired you, then." he told him. "I was not expecting him here, but it seems he was not keen on idly waiting in Yamaha for unanswered letters." he shook his head. "Once more I offer you a sincere thanks for our rescue." but of course, mercs being mercs, they would probably ask for pay. With the threat of danger thinning to a minimum besides the alarming thought of them not knowing where they were, he felt safe to ask. "Has he paid for your services, General?"

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:21 pm

(I'll just keep this one going, shall I?)

"Mph." Rulf acknowledged the apology, but didn't extend much effort. This was mainly due to his burden, as stretchers are not easy to carry even at the best of times.

After the group had returned to the tavern, Pierre went immediately to the kitchen. Miles knew that food was actually secondary on the red fox's list of priorities, and counted silently as a muffled conversion came through the kitchen doorway. He had gotten to nine when a cry sounding like "awp!" accompanied by the bonk sound of a ladle connecting to something fleshy. Pierre came back holding his muzzle. "Thee's nod reddy yed." Miles let him pass without comment. After all, he was hardly one to criticize unrequited love.

*Enough of that for now. To business!* "Yes, he did hire us. He has only paid in part, the rest was to be delivered after the job." Miles consulted the contract. "Hmm, accounting for expenses, five- no, hm, carry the one, 650 gold pieces, and 3 silver." That was slightly bumped up from the initial agreement, but Miles felt himself quite justified, considering that Zack had led his people into danger with insufficient intel on Batym and the bad blood between him and the family. Also, there was the little issue of explaining to King Gregor just what had happened to his newly-sworn fief.
After catching a look from the Sergeant, Miles spoke up again. "If you don't mind assuaging an merc's curiosity... WHAT in the NINE LEVELS OF HELL were led into? What was that... thing in Ducal regalia? What did he want from your son? And why would he not think to tell us this beforehand?" The ferret took a deep breath to calm himself.

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:56 pm

Galvan sat down calmly. 650? It was a large sum, but he knew not how much help his son had asked from the mercenaries. But he would leave the matter to Zack when he wakes. The largest issue reeling in his mind now were exactly the questions that the ferret had asked him. "He knew nothing of Batym or what he was after, I'm afraid. He did not tell you simply because he didn't know all there is to him." he leaned on his chair. "The fox is what is known as a Soulreaver. A seclusive art, a mixture of magic and arcane technology to create a warrior that can devour souls of creatures and assimilating their powers." he simplified. "What Zachary held was an ancient relic - something that has been passed down in our family. A dormant 'soul' if one could call it that - which is entirely why that Batym was capable of extracting it. One of the eight treasures of L'Immortel of legend."

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Post by Kitsunegami » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:49 am

Tansa went to check on Rulf with some herbal tea and sandwiches. "Hey there Rulf. How are you holding up?" she asked, placing the tray nearby. "I'm glad you weren't hurt." she said as she cuddled up next to him. She purred contently as she nuzzled his cheek. "I love you." she whispered in his ear, blushing as she nuzzled him again, holding her cheek to his.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:09 pm

Miles, having let off steam from his little outburst, listened calmly to Galvan as he answered his questions. *Hmph, so at least our client wasn't treacherous, simply ignorant. I suppose he was loath to trust an admittedly riff-raff group with the knowledge he held a great treasure with him. Soulreaver, eh? Sounds familiar... Almost absently, he took a medallion from his pocket and inspected it for the third dozenth time. it was obviously quite old, and seemingly Domish in origin, though the symbols corresponded to no heraldry of that land, though the letters seemed to correspond to the common alphabet of the Southern Nations. Not in any language Miles could read, though.
Aloud, he spoke, "Interesting. I must admit I don't know the legends of which you speak. My childhood was fairly rustic, and what fairy tales I heard were local, and fairly tame, compared to what I've seen on the job. We can talk more over dinner, though. Shouldn't be too long-"
Miles was interrupted by the arrival of Chaz, Orion, and Fallo, the other three besides his cook that had stayed to guard the home base, who enthusiastically greeted their chief, who waved to his guests to take a seat while he caught up on local happenings.

Rulf, after leaving Zack in the care of his relations, not without reluctance, had retired to a secluded corner to rest up a bit. Not for the first time, he wondered how he had gotten this deep into war and intrigue. He smiled wryly as he remembered when he'd first been asked to be Miles' sworn physician. He'd taken that it would be more or less only medically challenging to be the attached healer to a sickly noble. *How wrong our assumptions can lead us sometimes... was it worth it, I wonder?*
It was here that his nose caught the smell of herbal tea. Looking up to see Tansa, he smiled and accepted the drink and sandwiches with a pleased "Thank you. I'm alright; other than the boy, there were no serious injuries." He took a sip of the tea. "I'm glad you were unhurt as well." He was a little surprised at her cuddling up to him, and his brain actually went into shock with her whisper. *Wha- she- how long has this been going on? Maybe since I saved her life on our first job...* He hadn't thought of her as more than a patient at the time, but now...
What the hell, maybe m'lord's reckless nature had started to rub off on him a little bit. The gray fox put an arm around her shoulder. "I love you too." He whispered back. *I would have diagnosed unbalanced humors in the brain to anyone who suggested that a healer would ever say that to an assassin, but that's m'lord for you, turning lives upside down everywhere.*

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:15 am

Once they were all seated and served food, with two separate meals sent up to his mate and frail son, Galvan held his tongue, waiting for the General to begin eating before bringing the delicious, long-awaited warm meal to his mouth. He thanked every starry ancestor imaginable for granting him strength to withstand the long incarceration in Duke Batym's dungeon and remain a strong figure for his family. But it was very much but a brief rest - it wasn't time for rest until he had conducted plans accordingly for what his next action was.

When the opportunity presented itself, Galvan continued. "An old legend, told since ages long past was the Domish legend of L'Immortel. Supposedly he was a being blessed by the very Gods that made up Feila's existence. Whether it was Celeste, Loup, Dios, no scripture ever made it clear - but it was said that he had eight great gifts that made up his form. During his existence on the world, he befriended a man - a cat, if I recall correctly - and in the midst of an era of strife, he gave his own life for him. But L'Immortel was, as was his namesake, could not fully die. And thus his eight great gifts scattered across Feila. They would assume forms of many kinds as time went on and are possibly linked to other, more recent legends such as the Fountain of Youth. Their forms shift, or so the legend goes. Apparently, my grandfather attained the 'Soul' of the Immortal by wrenching it from a Dragon in Kahun, and passed it down to me. Before his passing, he passed it to my own son."

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:02 pm

(Sorry for letting this lie so long.)

Miles had waited until every one of his troops and guests had had their food served before eating. He began by raising his glass. "Wassail."
"Drinkhail!" Came the response, in a tradition older than history. After taking the first swig, Miles set himself to his food with aplomb. He sat with Galvan on one side, and Thari on the other, with Lena beyond her father, much to Miles' dissapointment.
Still, his first concern was getting more intel, and thus he listened intently to Galvan's story. "Huh. Well, he seems not to have made enough mark on Gawain for any of our old wives to make him a tale. Is it still told by any of the Domish ones? Something like that, if it really happened, wouldn't have faded from memory quickly. Still, it would explain why Batym would want it. It's the soul of someone at least semi-divine, it ought to be powerful, especiallyto someone like him." The ferret frowned. He wasn't quite sure how to deal with this, but Lena chimed in with her opinion.
"Sounds like you'd need some serious magical backup to deal with him." Lena leaned over the table, gesturing with her spoon. "Not that we like to admit insufficiency, but you'd probably be better off looking for help at the Universities. Wexlar actuall has a couple that are really good, Wizmar and the Unseen University."
"Right." Miles nodded back to his captain. "We can provide protection for your family while you search for assistance, as well as try to track down where that Duke went. I've got a couple of channels I can try..."

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:52 pm

Galvan shook his head. "No. Only few well-versed historians would actually know of this old legend - many of the followers of Celeste and Loup have long since disregarded the tale as mere heresy or tale." he took into consideration Miles' words. His family would be safe, while he could see about other assistance. None of them were in any physical - or mental for that matter - condition to actually begin to search for the missing duke. "I'll...consider." he said, crossing his arms. "It's a very urgent matter and our situation is far less than fortunate."

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:45 am

"Word of strategical advice," Miles addressed his guest in the tones of one who had seen campaigns, in imitation of how his father talked to him. "If your situation is really urgent, then action is what is needed more than consideration. I realize you're not in the best of shape, of course, but the sooner I get your decision, the sooner I can get the necessary help. So, before I go to bed tonight, I'd like to know, are you going to get magical backup, or am I going to have to send one of my troops out to fetch it?"

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:11 pm

He was right, as much as all that Galvan wanted to just sleep right now more than anything, this was still far more important of a decision that it shouldn't wait till dawn. "I'll go." he said. "This is our matter and one I would like to see it through on my own terms." He told him. He did however feel that the aid of mercenaries was more than helpful - he'd gladly enlist them again, but he felt that now when he had no actual lead that would point him to Batym or any of these other relics wherever they may be, it would just be a waste of coin.

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Miles shrugged. "Ach, fair enough. Too many cooks spoil the stew, though I think we'll meet again on this matter. I've no doubt caused him some irritation he'll see fit to revenge. In the meantime, I'll bid you goodnight."

His troops straggled away from the table as the meal ended, Miles going with Lena upstairs. "Do you regret coming with me, when Da first sent me off?"
Lena laughed. "Not really. Now mine's so worried about you, he's not watching me like a hawk so much!"
The ferret shared her laugh. It felt good to talk un-guardedly to her again. They'd been drifting apart lately, probably due to her acute consciousness of his noble rank. *Damn that title; its like a suit of spiky armor around me.* Maybe that's why he was enjoying this excursion so much; he was proving to the world and himself that he was more than just his father's son. *Even when I am exactly that. I think he was one year older than me, though, when he faced the dark magical duke that was to be his mortal enemy. Speaking of which...*
At his desk upstairs, Miles began composing two letters before he went to bed. The first was one to his father, just so his parents wouldn't get too worried about him. *And they'll be worried enough as it is. At least Da could send some advice my way on how to deal with Batym.* The other was a letter to an old friend of the family who'd attained a high position in Bayreuth. Chances are that he'd know something about where that fox would have gone...