Lachen comp de sumer uber das feld (Open)

This is where all of the medieval Gawain role-plays are archived.
MasterShadowSong
Spy
Species: Anthro Shapeshifter

Lachen comp de sumer uber das feld (Open)

Post by MasterShadowSong » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:00 am

The main idea of this Rp is a get to know you in character, I an new to Feila and just kinda wanted to meet some of the characters, so there might be a bit of action or adventure, but mainly just talking and interacting in a relxed(Ish) atmosphere.

It had been a cold spring and subsequently all the planting had been late. Bayreuth was getting some of the worst of it. The icy chill coming off of the ocean caused hail storms regularly and even snow though it was getting close to the end of June. The people of Bayreuth were not particularly worried, in fact the fish merchants were positively gleeful, there would probably be only very minimal crops this year, and the demand for fish and game would skyrocket and that meant prices of fish would as well.

Everyone was in a mood of general joviality in Bayreuth, everyone that is that wasn't in the FrogsDraught Tavern. The atmosphere there was decidedly depressed lethargic and at times angry. This was not particularly surprising seeing as most of the regulars and patrons of the FrogsDraught were cold blooded. Snakes, reptiles, dragons all sat huddles around hot ciders and mulled ales trying to get warm before going to work for the morning.

Daven upon entering decided he was definitely not in the right place, but a mixture of pride and desire to get out of the freezing rain made him decide to stay at least a few minutes. Walking up to the bar in a manner that was half walking half marching, Daven took an empty stool and signaled the bartender who was busy with a few other costumers and waited.

Sponsor

LittleWing
Marquis

Re: Lachen comp de sumer uber das feld (Open)

Post by LittleWing » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:11 am

For some reason, taverns and bars seemed to be the one place that Acantha frequented. Maybe it was her lack of housing in the area, or maybe it was just the fact that she wandered. Either way, being outside in the cold, rainy weather was no option.

Rarely did she ever talk to anyone, as she tend to stay very private in her affairs. Today, though, she was sitting at a small table with a rat. He seemed charming enough, but she wasn't impressed. The company was okay, though. She had been there for an hour or so, sipping on the warm cider that seemed to be so popular today. Her tail swished under her thin, white cloak, making the edges billow ever so slightly.
With a bored sigh, she glanced around the room as the rat prattled on about whatever, exactly, it was he was talking about.

The door opened, and the atmosphere almost immediately changed as the new patron walked in. Most of the other cusstomers glanced toward the door, the majority of their eyes lingered for just a second longer than normal, and a few just outright stared before snapping back to their meals. Such a shadowy place was not used to visitors are as upright as the one who just strode in.

Acantha glanced quickly, but brought her eyes back down. There was no need to be rude and stare, but she still took interest, wondering, just like everyone else, what such a man was doing here.
^ click for characters

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:50 pm

(As you wish. I'm a little dialogue-heavy in my overall writing style anyway, so that should be fine.)

One couldn't exactly call Zechariah Vesperocci a regular as such, since his home was not in Bayreuth, but the Frog's Draught was a good inn, and he patronized it whenever necessity brought him to Gawain's capital. He fitted in with the clientele, being himself of a reptilian type. Specifically, Zech was a dragon, covered in scales of the palest white and jet black. Usually, he was seen wearing the robes that marked a magician of some high status, but not here. While Gawain was the least intolerant of the Southern Nations, cold-blooded furs were a minority, and often one silently kept down. Zech was a rare case of one who had reached status, and it would not be wise to be seen putting on airs in such a company.

His present thoughts were not cheerful. *Bloody politics. If it's not the Duke, it's the King, and always the University. Where do people get the idea that scholar-magicians are peaceful, ivory tower sorts? Hah! There's always something they combat, whether it's necromancers or court intrigues!* Zech was in a funk, common result of being a powerful wizard and still being powerless against an obstacle. In this case, the obstacle was the King. No, unfair. It's not Gregor's fault that relations are bad with Maze now, but honestly...* He drained another large flagon, but did not call for a refill, simply staring at the door.

The appearance of a new fur, a mammal in fact, was enough of a surprise to jolt Zech out of his funk, especially as he had taken a seat between him and another fur, a female who had rather unfortunately encouraged the prattling of a rat. *Not one of those rats, thankfully*. In such a dingy place, only the dragon's snout could be seen protruding from his hood as he spoke to the newcomer. "Strange to see such a one as you enter this place. You have a taste for danger, friend?" Zech's voice would have given him away as a cultured fellow, and had little of the hissing that marked reptilian speech. But then, all dragons thought such speech impediments vulgar.
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Ragnar
Peasant

Post by Ragnar » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:21 pm

"Damned rain. Damned mud. Damned merchants...", the jackal muttered to himself as he walked down the road, wrapping his cloak around himself. Not much could be seen of his face, it being concealed by the cloak's hood. What little could be seen of his body revealed only that he was wearing some leather armor, and that a sheathed broadsword was hanging from his belt.

Looking up ahead, he saw a tavern and picked up his pace. As he approached the building he noticed the tavern's sign: The FrogsDraught Tavern.

He paused for a moment after entering the door. He was met with a number of short, cold stares, coming from the moody patrons. As quick as they were to look up, they were back to their drinking and eating. The jackal smirked slightly after glancing over the other people in the tavern. With his current mood, he'd fit in perfectly here.

He made his way to the bar, sitting a stool down from the silver dragon and the other furs seated next to him. The jackal gave the bar a rather loud knock, vying for the bartenders attention.

MasterShadowSong
Spy

Post by MasterShadowSong » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:13 pm

Daven finally got attention from the bartender after a few others had been served.

"Wad'ya want fur face" The bartender growled, he was not in the mood for some hoity-toity noble type who thought that because he had graced the tavern with his presence that he should be treated as a god.

Daven far from being taken aback instead grinned, he realized now why he had decided to stay instead of finding another tavern. In more respectable taverns, you had to act very proper so as not to offend someone and spark a duel. But this tavern was full of the less than savory sorts, and while not as good as a soldiers or sailors pub, he could still relax to a degree here without too much worry. Not that Daven was in anyway inclined to murder and mayhem, in fact he was generally an honest man with integrity, but being formal got very tiresome. So when the bartender was as gruff as he was, all Daven could do was grin. "I want a drink, what does it look like I want? Ale in specific, none of that cheap, 'fancy' swill you foist off on idiots as wine or spirits."

Daven looked over as a voice spoke from beside him, emanating from a scaled snout attached to a shrouded figure. Daven tilted his head in contemplation of the question before answering. "While I do have a taste for danger, I did not come here for it. Mostly I just wanted out of the wet miasma out there. What of yourself? Danger is rarely picky as to who she follows, what brings you to this place?" Daven kept his attention partly on the man he was talking too, and partly on the rest of the patrons, for the hooded man was right, this wasn't the safest place in the world.

Rainwhisker
King
Species: Lynx canadensis

Post by Rainwhisker » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:36 pm

"Ah, the joys of a nomad." breathed a rugged, seasoned lynx. His pale brown fur gave a woody colour in the dim flame lights of the tavern as he waded through tables with drinks in hand, placing them onto tables of different reptiles ordering different warm drinks. He saw a frog that hadn't been served yet. Instinctively as part of his job, he walked over and asked. "Did you need something?" he asked, in fluent Gawain.

"Just a warm drink, any drink," came the croak, temper resounding in his voice.

"Be with you in a minute." he replied, faking a smile, turning away to head to the kitchen. He rolled his eyes. Weeks spent here paying a debt that wasn't meant to even exist in the first place, he has yet to find a night where there wasn't a single ectotherm that couldn't smile to save his life. Always bawling about how work was coming and the recent chills have drove them to spend their days here.

Of course, the tavern owner was enjoying the labour he had - oh, he certainly did. One lynx unfortunately caught in between his crocodile jaws.

"One glass o' ale," he called out to the bartender.

After taking several mugs off of a smashed salamander's hands who had already fallen asleep on the table, the bartender rung a bell, letting the lynx know the ale was ready. Someone would probably have to toss that sleeping lizard out the door. Setting aside the mugs at the small window that lead to the kitchen, the feline took the ale and offered it to the angry natured amphibian.

"Just leave it there." the frog said, sharply.

"Yes, sir."

The tavern chilled a little as the lynx grabbed the sleeping lizard by the arms and shoved him out the door. "Bar owner's orders." he sighed. The lizard quickly got up, and angrily began a series of expletives which were cut off as the lynx shut the door. His hazel-brown eyes caught the raised paw of another reptile, calling out for him in a hurried and angry gesture. "And such is life." he shrugged. "Your order?"
Image Image- I pranked/shot Felia. Mwahahaaha!

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

LittleWing
Marquis

Post by LittleWing » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:12 pm

God forbit the rat take a breath between each word. God. Forbid.
The pine marten was becoming weary, listening to the rat's verbose tales. It was written very clearly over her features; Her face resting in her hand, elbow resting on the table, the other hand waving for a waiter to come by and refill her quickly emptying glass.
So much for her plan of staying sober. Right now she wasn't sure which she valued more, saftey or peace of mind.

"... and you would just love my cranberry farms. Hundreds of acres of cranberries. Hundreds of slaves to harvest them! Oh it is wonderful..." The rat continued aimlessly, stumbling over his own lies. The likelihood of a rodent owning many slaves was very slim.

Eventually the gyspy girl was fed up.

"Where, exactly, did you say you were from?" She asked, sternly looking up at him.
He faultered for a moment, surprised by her almost sudden outburst.
"Uh...I...am from Plymouth!"

The marten sighed.

"Plymouth? I could swear that is a Saragossan accent?" She was all too familiar with that region. Apparently the rat was too, as he stayed silent and she continued.
"Saragossa... in Maze, correct? In Maze, the poorest country on our planet...? The poorest country, from where Roden furs are indiginous... correct? Yes, I thought so. A poor rodent with a hundred acres? And slaves? That seems unlikely...."

The rat was fidgeting now.

"Almost as unlikely as a cranberry farm... in the desert."
Her face was entirely serious. The rat realized that he blew any chances he had to seem impressive, and immediately sulked off, defeated.
A heavy, exasperated sigh escaped the female's lips as she shook her head and sipped her refilled drink.

Being alone now gave her time to scan the bar. She took note of the new-comers and those who they were speaking too. All men. Some of which looked wealthy...some of which did not. She would wait, for now, to see who was who and what was what. Perhaps she would find interesting company. Or at least a way to get a few coins.
^ click for characters

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:05 pm

"Oh, it's not so dangerous for me here." A smile played off Zech's features as he replied. "I fit in. You, however, have a talent for sticking out. Symptom of high birth and a rigid discipline in life, plus the fact you never take any effort to conceal yourself." It needed only a gesture from Zech to get the bartender to refill his mug. Daven would have to wait; mammals were always served last in this establishment. Of course, he would certainly get his drink before the jackal, who was being pointedly ignored.
"It is unusual to have four mammals as customers at a time here," the dragon went on, not yet having taken a drink from his refilled flagon, "Something is certain to happen tonight." Zech's tone was flat, almost completely flat, as if he was not certain if he would relish the prospect or not.
Something did already seem to be happening a couple of chairs down. The sounds of a pine marten calling out a braggart were amusing, to say the least. "*Tsk* Amateur. The silver tongued liars I've known could run rings around that pathetic braggart. Of course, I had the privilege to train the best of them." Zech was now fully drawn out of his funk now, and in the mood for conversation. A young adventurer and a pretty maiden... *Sigh, I really am much to old to comment on that.* Still, one could do worse for company.

Ragnar
Peasant

Post by Ragnar » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:59 pm

The jackal watched the bartender closely, as the reptile passed him by and completely ignored his attempts to order some ale for about the fourth time. The canine let out an exasperated sigh, various ghastly insults and curses beginning to form in his head. It was becoming more and more difficult to contain himself, in spite of not wanting to cause trouble. He certainly had enough of that for one day. But the prospect of walking out into the rain and looking for another tavern was just as unappealing.

He looked at the dragon seated beside him. Well, if a direct approach was not going to achieve anything, then maybe a kindly mediator would. Pulling down his hood and mustering the most courteous smile he could, considering the circumstances, he tapped the dragon's shoulder lightly and spoke: "I'm terribly sorry to bother you like this sir, but could you possibly assist me in grabbing the bartender's attention. I seem to be rather, uninformed, as to the local customs for doing so."

MasterShadowSong
Spy

Post by MasterShadowSong » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:21 am

Daven fake a look of hurt at the dragons words, "Not so good man! I do indeed take effort to conceal myself sometimes..... just not much." He said looking at the barkeep passing him yet again then turned back considering the dragons statement about something happening. It was true that the atmosphere in the tavern was tense to say the least, but Daven had a feeling it wouldn't be him that set of the powder keg, on the other hand once it was set off, it wouldn't matter if he had done it anyways. Racism was a funny thing like that, one person could do something heinous and it was not just him but everyone like him that got in a pinch.

Daven too had heard the martin telling off the rat, and was generally amused, he had little use for rats, he was a military man at heart and people that just skulked around and never showed the courage to face the front line were only contemptible in Daven's eyes, not to mention lying being one of his less loved sins, sometimes in a violent manner. Turning his attention back to the cloaked reptile he shrugged, "If something happens it will be dealt with and if it doesn't then there is no need to worry."

Daven looked over as a tankard was nearly slammed down in front of him sloshing over the and part of his clothing. Daven didn't even look at the bartender just sighed and took a sip.

Rainwhisker
King
Species: Lynx canadensis

Post by Rainwhisker » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:33 am

The lynx finally got around to the jackal. "Sorry, sir." he leaned forward to the canine - only to hear the rat scurry away in defeat, leaving that incredibly feisty looking marten free. "Obviously you want something. What'll it be? Ale?" without even waiting an answer, the feline offered a full jug. "Don't have a clue why you'd come to this place if you're not scaled or flabby-skinned." he whispered in his ear. "Enjoy yourself now. I need to serve the 'main' patrons first, y'see. Or it's my hide." his eyes darted to the bartender, who was busy looking away. Before the reptile could turn around, the lynx was already on the move, this time to the marten.

"Evening, lass." he began. His posture was vibrant, and his tone smooth, but not to the point where it'd be an obvious pass to the young martin. "Need somethin'?" he leaned against the now vacant chair.. He'd have to be careful with this one. Chances like this don't come by so often.
Image Image- I pranked/shot Felia. Mwahahaaha!

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

LittleWing
Marquis

Post by LittleWing » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:15 pm

She looked around slowly, not in a rude manner, just observing the others in the bar. There were very many reptiles, she noted. This was mostly okay, with her, though, normally, she did not get along with such creatures.
Come to think of it, she didn't get along with most creatures... but alas, they inhabited the planet and there wasn't a thing that could be done about it.
First she noted the dragon, sitting a short ways away. She hadn't seen many of them in real life. Actually, she had perhaps only see one or two. They were certainly fascinating, but she felt that it would be best if she kept her distance from them.
The jackal was also noted. He seemed to be having soem difficulties. Perhaps all mammals were treated as such. Jackals were always interesting to her. The majority of the ones she knew were necromancers. This one didn't quite seem to be the same sort though. That wasn't a bad thing by any means.

The other, the authoritative figure, she couldn't quite place. Species wise, at least. He was a mix of something. Badger? No... some form of canid, perhaps? Perhaps. From this distance she couldn't hear his conversation with the dragon, which was mildly disappointing ,as she was sure it would be an interesting one.

Ah! The jackal finally got his drink. What hospitality!
The lynx didn't look like he was thrilled to be there, but he didn't seem to detest it, either. Must be uncomforatable, around so many scales.

A few of the other partrons caught her interest, but mone of them seemed to be wealthy enough for her to strike up a conversation.
And the way the Blue-Tongued Skink kept flicking his indeed, very blue tongue, at her did nothing more than make her stomach turn. Not in his lifetime. Unless he aquired a hefty sum, one day. Then maybe. Just maybe.
The little black, beady orbs of hers were glazed over as she stared absently off toward the door, as if waiting for someone, something, ANYTHING, to come parading in and make her day worthwhile. Perhaps a tall, well groomed, aristocratic Huskey... or perhaps a wealthy Eagle doctor, stopping in after long day of work. If only, if only...

She was quickly snapped out of this fantasy world of hers at "Evening, lass."
Her eyes flicked up to him and she blinked a few times, regaining her dwindling composure. It seemed to be drifting away with every whimsy sip of her quickly accumulating drinks.
She let out one sharp, short laugh.
"Ha! Perhaps a conversation worth havin', a handful of gold in my pocket, and a drink that'll put me on my ass!"
^ click for characters

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:16 pm

Zech chuckled at Daven's false indignation. "Heh, heh, well, not all trades call for secrecy, and in such as yours, common politeness or stunning audacity make good enough substitutes most of the time. By the way, do you mind telling me whether you are a commissioned, oath-sworn, or mercenary officer?" That the fur was military was betrayed in several subtle clues, but mostly in the posture with which he walked in the door. Zech himself had been closely, if indirectly, involved in several wars throughout his life, mostly in the areas of subterfuge and diplomacy. As such, he had a more pragmatic view of deception.
Speaking of which... The dragon observed with mild surprise that the jackal had gotten his drink, and from a lynx! *Now that is interesting. I should much like to know how Ankham-Rad unbent enough to let a mammal serve drinks in histavern.* He was not, however, surprised when the waiter began to linger near the marten. While touching, it was a little worrying when Zech wondered what would happen if the bartender turned around.
That was when Daven's remark hit his ear. "Spoken like a true aristocrat." Zech sighed. "When something does happen, you will find that you do not have an army at your back, but you will be facing a mob, who view you as something to be 'dealt with.' Have a little more tactical sense; mind that your retreat does not get cut off. You might also," the dragon continued with a smile as he raised his glass, "Cultivate allies by introducing yourself. I am Zechariah Vesperocci."

MasterShadowSong
Spy

Post by MasterShadowSong » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:33 pm

Daven cocked his head to the side in a motion that was obviously a habit for him, "Do I truly look stupid enough to be that cavalier? I have both an escape and allies, the allies just don't know it yet." Daven nodded his head towards the lynx and martin, "They are my allies, simply because their blood is warm, if a mob does form they wont form just against me, but anyone like me." He jerked his head at the bartender, "He is my ally because of where we are, he wont want his tavern trashed, so if not a help, he will at least make us leave the place, probably at club point." Daven finally nodded at a group of about four horny devils sitting in a shady corner, "And finally those four, they are looking for a fight, but not with me, they are here waiting for whatever to happen, and when it does, they are gonna help the underdog, or more specifically me." He said with a grin. "On the other hand, I am never one to pass up a willing ally, or better yet a possible friend. My name is Davenarial ShadowSong, it's a pleasure to meet you Master Vesperocci." Daven raised his tankard in salute and took a long drink of the ale.

Ragnar
Peasant

Post by Ragnar » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:41 pm

"Oh, never mind", the jackal said after receiving his drink. He took a rather long swig of it, emptying half the tankard. He over heard some of what was being said by the two beside him.

"Heh, the way you two keep going on about allies and escape routes, some of our fellow patrons might get the impression that you are up to something. And that could lead to tempers flaring", he said, turning towards the two men.