In Brightest Day, in Blackest Night...

This is where all of the medieval Gawain role-plays are archived.
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx
United States of America

In Brightest Day, in Blackest Night...

Post by Rackenhammer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:24 pm

There was something awful in the clarity of that Mediterranean spring day. If a fur looked up, he might see the sky for the first time, not as a background, but as an enormous blue annihilating force bearing down upon the world. The sun led the blind forces of heaven to capture the citadel of the earth, and the brief stillness in the air only seemed the calm before Armageddon.
Telemain Eveks, being a scholar and not a poet, felt little of this impression, and put it down merely to a growing internal dread that was stealing upon him. He had gone out on behest of the University to Domus, and he was returning with bad news. The resurrected Dysuhlian necromancers they now strove against had established relations with a crafting guild in Rennes, which had begun manufacture of the golems that functioned as machines of war. Worse, when Telemain had rescued Melissa, a young girl who had become cursed through a series of events indirectly his fault, the ferx learned of an attack that Vedicus planned upon the University.

Now, he was on his way back home, to bring warning, and to assist in its defense. With him traveled his acquired companions: Naia, a mysterious hybrid being who practically radiated magic (and his new apprentice), his cousin Immy (currently disguised as his familiar), Melissa, and Feres Rainwhisker, a lynx pharmacist who’d been picked up along the way.
They had disembarked from the ship that morning, and were well across he plains that were between the sea and the woods that enclosed the University grounds. The flat country was fertile, and mostly farmed. The haphazard ancestral boundaries were marked by stone, sticks, and hedge, except where the cultivated ground met the path, where a ditch on either side kept travelers from trampling the vegetables.
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Sponsor

Rainwhisker
King
Species: Lynx canadensis

Re: In Brightest Day, in Blackest Night...

Post by Rainwhisker » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:52 pm

"It's not often that I visit Gawain," Feres spoke, looking through the country's fertile, farmed land. Sticks, stones, hedges made boundaries, ancient in appearance a milestone away from his local habit in Domus. "Then again, it's been awhile since I've traveled anywhere." There was a bit of truth to the apothecary's word. A year was almost spent as the local maker of salves, brewer of potions and all kinds of magical remedies and consumables were all a guise to lie in wait to find news of his missing foster father and his associate, Galvan Lightfang and his family. Even so, the lynx had become very well-versed in his trade, and was very proud of his progress. He still retained his adventurous soul and it's swelling desire to travel flushed out fully when the opportunity came to travel with this odd triad of ferx, fox and a hybrid, and now they were joined by some mechanical construct of unknown make - one that Telemain would refer to as Dysuhlian. A simple travel-together to the lynx suddenly became an important journey, for it seemed a war was brewing that not many knew of. He had made the difficult decision to follow his newfound friends over searching for the suspect that may have taken his father, but was comforted by news that both objectives were in the same continent.

The silver fur stretched to no end, happy to be on foot once more. "I would never think that boat ride will ever end. I was about ready to just slice off any stubbed toes." he purred, amused at the thought of how long he had managed to persevere on a boat ride that long as a doctor. "Do you think there are baths near?" he asked. The feline loved his hygiene even on the boat, making sure that he would brush his teeth with a siwak and wash himself with water every day. But it had been far too long since he had a clean, thorough scrub. It seemed the crew wanted nothing more to do with the sea after two months spent on water, so they left the port as quickly as they could. Now they were in the countryside. Perhaps by some miracle there would be a bathhouse.
Image Image- I pranked/shot Felia. Mwahahaaha!

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Sade
Dysuhlian >:C
Species: Toaster

Post by Sade » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:00 pm

Melissa had been quiet for much of the voyage, beginning on that night at sea when she had accidentally entangled her various magical hooks and shunts with the aura of the hybrid. She had felt rather different ever since: she could feel things again, to some extent, things like the warmth of the gentle breeze or a strange quasi-nausea in her 'stomach.' This uneasy feeling in her innards- if she had innards- was something she kept to herself for fear of worrying Telemain, who appeared more and more worried the closer he got to home, it seemed. She also didn't want him trying to fix it, because it had been so long she had felt anything at all. Even this silently gurgling, percolating malaise within was a comfort to her. Surely she still had a soul if she was still able to feel.

Beyond the new sensations, she was no longer quite sure what the future held in store. The original plan was to reach the University and get the people there to help her die, as she'd convinced herself Telemain had said they'd do. The rest didn't matter. She did not originally care very much about what would become of her companions once she was gone. But, after so long among them, and newly freed from the stifling shackles of her bodies second, inbuilt intelligence, she was not sure whether she wanted to die. Life seemed... almost bearable, without monstrous rats and their overlords playing puppet master with her will, sending her to kill innocent men and woman and children. She was able to choose for herself now, to some extent- she still stayed close to the hybrid for fear of the rats taking control of her once more. And these were kind furs, too. And she liked them- except for that devastatingly beautiful hybrid, whom she hated with a passion.

"I've been here before, I think," the construct responded coolly to the lynx's comments. "The rats brought me here to kill a disfigured noble and start a war, but they failed." The bright red splashes of light which had lit her muzzle when she spoke in the past were no longer present. It seemed to frighten people, so she'd spent many nights on the ship with a little piece of mirrored copper, practicing until she could speak without it. Instead the voice seemed to radiate from inside her armored skull, much as it came from within the rat Tamas in his monstrous form. Weeks spent with real people had also expanded her vocabulary a great deal. She was no longer embarrassed so much by her own ignorance.

She absentmindedly plucked an arrant stalk of tall grass and began carefully weaving and braiding it as one of the sailors had taught her. She then placed it among the black wardstone spines protruding from her head, with the others. She'd similarly adorned the chain connecting the pincer-claw to her left shoulder serving as her left arm, and her relatively normal right arm, with braided loops and bracelets. The swaths of dry yellow-green distracted people from the scintillating black spines and claws and serrated plates of armor so clearly visible just beyond.

"I would never think that boat ride would ever end," the lynx was saying, "I was about to just slice off any stubbed toes." And he went on a little about baths.

Melissa didn't much care about bathing at the moment. As long as she didn't slog through mud, her exterior plating tended to stay rather clean, somehow. Perhaps things like her were more frightening if they glistened as if freshly polished all the time. Also, she didn't want to take out all her new grass "jewelry." Also, she wasn't susceptible to disease and all those nasty things which came with uncleanliness. "I agree, you do need a bath. You smell terrible," she responded at length and waved a wardstone gauntlet in front of her face, the tiniest hint of humor creeping into her voice. Of course she didn't really think he smelled- because she still couldn't smell anything at all, yet- but she wasn't about to say it.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:33 pm

(Well since Kitsunegami has problems with wi-fi access, I'll just have to move the story along from here.)

Telemain lifted himself out of his internal reverie at the sound of Feres' voice. He himself had been traveling for several years now. "Journeyman" was a pretty accurate title for magicians with his skill level, they rarely settled down until they got their Master's Robes.
The lynx's prosaic concern with hygiene was almost refreshing to the ferx, as assurance that not everyone felt his foreboding. "Well, I can't really say. This isn't one of the more settled parts of Gawain, and parts of it are quite uncivilized. I can assure you, however, that the University has an extensive bathing facility."

Melissa, too responded to Feres' comments. Telemain smiled to see her weaving grass stalks to decorate the rather incongruous spikes on her metallic body. The modicum of humor in her voice also lightened his spirits. He wasn't going to say anything more, until- "Hang on a second." Tel stopped in his tracks, and turned to look at Melissa. "The rats, and you, went up against a noble, someone not trained at the University, and failed? Huh, and a disfigured on at that." He stared off into the middle distance, speculating aloud. "Surely not... but who else could it have been? That's quite..."
He shook his head. "Well, you're going to have to tell me that story; it's quite possible the best news I've heard all year. Dysuhlians foiled by mere mortals, that's something to give one hope, to be sure." Telemain started off again, quite heartened.
He spoke to his new apprentice, who'd been silent for most of the journey. "That's a salutary thought, apprentice. What with you, everyone here, and all the wizards at the University, we've got more than a fighting chance to prevail against them!"

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:01 am

"Ah~ perfect." Feres remarked. "I'm afraid you'll have to bear with my poor scent for awhile longer, Melissa." he said, humorously. He halted when Tel stopped, turning around and looking at the construct.

"The rats, and you, went up against a noble, someone not trained at the University, and failed?" the ferx asked her. "Huh, and a disfigured one at that." He stared off into the middle distance, speculating aloud. "Surely not... but who else could it have been? That's quite..."

Feres raised a brow, knowing that a lot weighed on his friend's mind - so much that it was something the lynx considered unhealthy. Telemain shook his head. "Well, you're going to have to tell me that story; it's quite possible the best news I've heard all year. Dysuhlians foiled by mere mortals, that's something to give one hope, to be sure." thankfully for Feres, this seemed to have lightened the young mage's spirits, bringing the apothecary to slight ease. He couldn't bear trying to force a relaxing potion down Telemain to calm him down.

While the ferx happily went to Naia - who had been oddly quiet for their trip and told her what these news could mean, Feres was enjoying his walk along the roadside, curiously wondering - and at the same time not hoping - that anything of particular interest would happen.

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Sade

Post by Sade » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:56 pm

Melissa wasn't quite so optimistic as Telemain about their chances in the coming battle. She did not know precisely what form the attack would take, nor any specifics about the tactics or units the rats would array against them save the obvious golems, but she suspected they would come prepared.

"The rats wanted to send the kingdoms against each other, so they hired assassins and mercenaries to kill nobles on all sides and plant incriminating evidence on their bodies. The assassins helping Tamas failed somehow- I don't really know how, I was not brought here until afterward- so they brought me here to kill all of them. Something... happened..." she trailed off, thinking back to the fight. The room had filled with some kind of magic or energy, and the entire building, or at least its interior, ended up somewhere else. She shrugged, "so, anyway, the noble was very smart. He figured out I was being controlled and killed Tamas... Tamas is not like Vedicus. He does not use magic, or at least I've never seen him use it. They ganged up on him and killed him, and I told them what was happening, and then the rats... uhh, 'tele-ported' me away."

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:52 pm

"Hmm..." Telemain pondered the story that Melissa had told him. "Well, that noble was a good tactician, anyway. It's something to keep in mind next time we see that particular rat."
The ferx lapsed into silence again, pondering the full implications of what she said. "Well, as far as their larger plan is concerned, I think it failed as well. I don't know of any wars that are starting, anyway..." He tapped his chin as a thought occurred to him. "I wonder how long Vedicus had that planned, though. The royal family of Maze was mysteriously killed, and blame put on the royal house in Bayreuth, back during the reign of queen Aleanth. There was a war, in fact, and I almost joined it, before I got caught up in this other business. It seems to have ended now, though the new King is rather occupied with the diplomatic fallout." He shrugged. "Maybe that's where they got the idea."

The party was coming up on the edge of the woods. *I wonder how things are, back at home. I left Nessus here to support the homefront; I wonder what he's been up to.*

He really had no idea what awaited him back at Academia...

(Note: I may add more to this post later, depending on how we decide to open the transition to the University.)

Sade

Post by Sade » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:52 pm

As they climbed a slight hill and neared the edge of the forest, one of the first things Melissa noticed was how the forest abruptly turned from a lush forest of trees to a barren forest of stumps. The second thing she noticed was a male feline laborer standing on a nearby path with a handcart of grey stones, staring wide-eyed with fear at the troupe. The look of vague recognition in his eyes when they met hers put her on edge. It was as if, rather than recognizing her personally- which was impossible- he somehow knew what she was and what she represented. This feline was not fooled in the least by her decorative reeds and woven accoutrements.

Before any of them could speak to him, however, he turned tail and retreated further along the path as quickly as his legs could move his heavy burden. The gaze of her featureless eyes shadowed him as he ran, first tracing out the path dropping below the crest of the hill, then the valley beyond. The now tiny figure ran among the tents of a vast camp in the process of being demolished; further along between two great windmills, one complete and the other under construction. Of their own will, she looked beyond to the town. A wooden scaffold traced out the beginnings of a wall cutting through the remains of the camp, stretching hundreds of feet across this edge of the town. And, above the most complete section of scaffold, she saw the enormous machine- a mad conglomeration of wood and twisting canvas sails straddling the scaffold, churning smoke. The sound of a steady, immutable pounding from within rode the wind to what she used as ears.

It was a strange sight of industry and change, and this disturbed her for some reason. But something disturbed her far more to the point of terror welling from the depths of her soul and sending the spines across her back bristling at the ready. An enormous tarp was draped across the flank of the wooden eyesore. It was emblazoned in stark relief with language and symbols of Dysuhl.

The jird stood precisely in the center of Azad Square- so named for obvious reasons- as she had done almost every day for the past month, taking in the world, centering her perspectives; anchoring herself, one might say, in the real world. An atrocity was committed here which she could have prevented. This would never happen again. Her cohorts and men-and-women-at-arms regularly patrolled this half of the Dysuhlian quarter.

She looked slightly to her left, towards the east. She could see the top of her base of operations, a once-abandoned warehouse which had become something of a center for the community on this side of town. Vendors once again set up stalls within and in front of the structure, children once more scurried about underfoot. This was the center of her influence, and she had made a concerted effort to make the immediate neighborhood safe again. The headquarters also served as a vital link between those seeking work- particularly the freed slaves, but it was open to anyone- and those with jobs to be done. Some of her band catalogued and dolled out work, and kept an eye on the transference of local currency. Most, including herself, had become relatively fluent in the local language.

She protected them from the threat of the Dysuhlians next door and the as-yet-unrealized threat of oppression by this settlement's center of power.

She looked far to her right, towards the south. Just as her building smiled upon those below with the reflected light of the sun and the warmth of brick, that Dysuhlian construction machine cast its shadow across anyone living near its base. She had tried pulling down the rats' propaganda in the past- flags, markings on the sides of buildings, banners, and so forth. The task had proven impossible, and the University appeared willing to turn a blind eye to the obvious... "rat"ification of that section of town. That wall-builder, however, was a step over the line. She had supported the proposal, and this is how she'd been repaid.

Then, there was the University. She did not need to look at it: she knew it was there. She could feel the weight of it pressing down on her. The University was both the adult supervision and the 800 pound gorilla in the room, looming over everything that happened. Zodt found herself at odds with the institution in too many ways. The musty cloisters and studied scholars filled her nose with the stink of elitism. Nessus had accidentally alluded to an issue the Dean had with her and, after Zodt had torn it out of him, she'd decided this badger women was unwilling to take necessary action, up to and including the death furs, if the cause was right. Her attack against the military academy had been the right thing to do. If Dr. Martin couldn't see that, something was wrong with her. Zodt had decided long ago that the problem was corruption clouding the woman's vision. In the jird's eyes, the University was a symbol of centralized power and everything bad which comes with it. She was and always would be "for the people."

Ironically, her... contemporaries across the line, so to speak, had their own reasons for disliking the University. The edifice stood as an insult to their kind, as did the rule of law imposed on them by the institution. They had trouble accomplishing anything without the additional clout of Zodt's camp. They had trouble finding sources of labor and raw materials. They had trouble moving beyond the areas of town they immediately occupy. The Dysuhlians of higher stature, unlike the freed slaves, were becoming increasingly restless, and though no incident on the level of Azad's murder had occurred since then, pressures were building. They sought to reclaim their kind's glory, and they saw the University as an obstacle to that goal.

A quick look to the square's sundial told her more bad news: she had to meet with the architect of the Dysuhlians' machine. She braced herself, withdrawing any feeling behind blazingly intense eyes, and stalked off through the worst part of town...

The eleventh hour had come and gone long, long ago as pertaining to the wall project, as far as Antinom was concerned. The machine, which he had designed and the construction of which he had overseen while imprisoned, was largely complete and in operation, as were the mills for processing incoming raw materials. The University official to whom he spoke seemed to disagree, but he would hear nothing of it.

"This early in the spring is not an ideal time to start a rammed earth construction, true enough," he explained icily, his white rodent's eyes drilling into the man like twin ice picks, "and building structures of this type often take time. The mobile tamper is the solution to those problems." He turned and gestured to the various sections, ready to launch into a drawn out explanation of the processes, when a familiar voice interrupted.

"The guild symbols were not a part of the plan," Zodt's voice cut easily through the tamper's rythmic stomping. The whole ghastly thing was ever so slowly inching along the scaffolds on six enormous wooden wheels. The motion of its windmill mast drove a sprocket system which in turn lifted a massive stone weight and dropped it, thus 'ramming' the earth, over and over again. The earthen wall extruded from its aft end was about thirteen feet tall and six wide, tapering to five at the top.

Antinom met her eyes, ice meeting fire and issuing silent challenge, "it sprouted from the hearts and minds of Dysuhlians." The baleful orbs turned briefly to the University official, "-and it was built upon Dysuhlian backs, due to your failure to provide adequate labor. Should they not be recognized for their work? Do artists not sign their paintings in this day and age?" The rat preferred to be less confrontational. He preferred working behind the scenes, as had been the plan when Invisus and Histophel had been alive, but that was no longer possible. He was working hard to keep the various fractured factions of mad sorcerers and disillusioned nobles under control and largely united, but he had to compromise between them. Nobody would be completely happy, and that included Zodt and her University friends. He wished they could understand that, yet, he could not simply explain this to them. Doing so would be seen as weak and two-faced by some of those factions, and it could destabilize the situation... perhaps he could slip Zodt a message to pass on, somehow...

A laborer, one of the freed Dysuhlian slaves, ran past with his cart of stones, realized his mistake and spastically hauled it back a ways to the completed wind mill, and then ran past a second time. He never did stop running.

"And here we have limestone, from which we harvest the binding agent," Antinom gestured to the cart, "something must have spooked the man. He forgot to unload it."

As one, their eyes turned to the hills, and the distant figures coming into view. One of them looked... strange... "If you'll excuse me," Antinom murmured, giving Zodt and the University official a curt nod, "I must attend to another matter..." He briskly moved through what would become a gate and back into town.
Last edited by Sade on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:11 am, edited 5 times in total.

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Post by Kitsunegami » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:08 am

Naia was going over her lessons silently in her mind as she walked, making the most minor of gestures to herself in rehearsal. She had most fundamental knowledge of magic, but instinctual use took over in times of great stress. She was becoming aware enough to start sensing the magical energies outside of her own somewhat overwhelming zone of power. Compared to the sensory ability of Telemain, Naia was practically blind to the magical powers of others. Deep down, she had begun to fear her own degree of power. No other fur she had met had anywhere near the power she did, and those with any magical power showed such control over it that she looked like a raging force of nature in comparison...

Upon cresting the hill, something immediately felt wrong. It was as though a force no less powerful than her own was dropped on top of her. She completely froze up for a few seconds, then collapsed to the ground completely unresponsive, her pupils dilated to a pinpoint.

======
Meanwhile, Jyya had been out on the grounds since around on hour before sunrise. Her vision had become expanded to include the lines of magic, and other magical energies to a distance of her normal vision. It was strange seeing the magical overlapping the physical, but she managed to get by in the months since the trauma that caused this peculiar vision.

Her training had become more advanced, and her use of magical energies had become more efficient. She had been training her body and mind to handle more sustained use of magic than she had previously been able. Her morning training took place outside of the University walls, beyond the new wall as well. Controlling jets of flame, blades of wind, and other straining uses of the elements, she had further developed her unique fighting style. She even turned in her magical equipment to the university for further study, except for the sword. What most interested the current few studying her gear, was her glove. It could negate many magical forces exerted upon it without hindering the wearer's magical abilities. However, the most troublesome quality of the glove, was that it could not be magically inspected, as it would negate the energies used to do so.

After 2 hours of training before sunrise, Jyya cleaned up then went for breakfast. After eating, she would go out to help with the wall. For some reason, she felt more comfortable in the company of the Dysuhlians, even finding that she understood most of what they said in their native tongue.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:12 pm

"Hold on..." Telemain stopped abruptly at the edge of the massive deforestation. For the first time, he was surprised to see the the sky, and it crashed into him like a tsunami.
Gasping to catch his breath, Tel averted his eyes from that awful sight and met those belonging to feline laborer, who seemed terrified to see the group. Well, one member of the group, anyway.
The ferx was too thunderstruck to call out to the cat as he fled. It was hard to blame him, Tel had to admit, but he wondered why the cat had seemed to recognize Melissa. Had they met back when she-

And then all questions fled from his mind like refugees from a disaster site. Something of the kind was visible to Tel in the distance. A huge camp, tents, lean-to's, and rickety shacks sprawling across recently bared earth, already in the process of disintegration, surrounding a colossal construction. The wall itself, incomplete though it was, towered impressively, especially considering that nothing of the kind existed when Tel had left.
But towering even above this were the machines that had made it possible. A mad outgrowth of the windmills Tel had seen once in the fens of the continent, belching smoke like a coughing dragon and bearing the symbols of its makers. Telemain sagged down to his knees as he recognized some of the symbols.
"Oh, God, have they won already...?" He choked out, struck almost to his core.
Another blow was to come immediately as Naia collapsed next to the ferx. "What? What is it?"
No answer. "Naia, what happened?" Hesitant to move her, he reached over to open her eyelids, snapping his fingers in front of her. "Answer me, please!" Panic was beginning to well up and spill over in his words. He checked her aura; something was definitely wrong.
"You! Feres!" Tel barked out to the lynx. "Run, get help!" In his panic the ferx barely even considered that he might have been ordering him into a war zone.

It was infinitely strange, Dr. Martin though, how routine could set into the oddest of circumstances. Terms were closing up; in spite of the war, in spite of the huge influx of refugees, in spite of the brewing political mess outside the walls, students were still being taught to schedule.
*Of course; this is the kind of normalcy we're fighting to defend.* The Dean had just finished her exams and evaluations, and wondered how much of a breather she'd get before admissions. She'd taken a brisk walk up to the ramparts to take in the fresh air after being cooped up in her dusty office. The badger took in a lungful, and breathed out disappointedly, tasting the smoke.

She, like most of the present Octariat, acknowledged the need to extend the security perimeter. And, of course, any help from the refugees was welcome. So why did she feel stained whenever she thought about how things had turned out?
Probably because it had empowered the factions most opposed to the University. The Dean, like Zodt, had not forgotten Azad, or Logan, and regarded the former elites of the Dysuhlians with suspicion and worry about her students. Letitia Martin was not a badger to stand for compromising her ideals in any case, and in this case, she could never really assure herself of what side they would be on, when and if Vedicus pressed an attack here.
Of course, that was just one problem. The Dean had hoped to gain some friends among the other seat of power in the refugee camp, but it seemed that Zodt kept bumping heads with University quite a bit. She seemed to be still distrustful of them, and the Dean wasn't quite sure why. She'd asked Nessus, but he wouldn't say.

She sighed before descending the stairs, and walking out of the gate into the town. *I'll have to ask Dench how the meeting went...*

Aldous Dench, Warden of the UU, found it increasingly difficult to keep annoyed remarks from springing to his lips. Honestly, this one kept getting more confrontational by the day. He met the icicles jutting from Antinom's cranium well enough; the University Councils had their share of nasty politics and sniping, but it still irked him.
Add to that the aggravating fact that the rat seemed to be right. As one who knew defenses, he had to admit the wall made an impressive physical barrier, and the strange contraption that worked to build it did, in fact, work.

Zodt's interruption did nothing to ease the tension between them. The weasel's eyes narrowed as the rat questioned him. "There are some," he replied measuredly, "Who would call that signature a battle flag. And I believe you know full well what would happen if your, hm, 'Dysuhlian hearts and minds' found themselves having to collaborate with the likes of us." *We'd have the mage wars in miniature.* Went unsaid but understood.

The panicked laborer did break up the meeting, calling Dench's attention to the group cresting the hill. The weasel strained his eyes to make out the figures. "Oh..." he breathed out, recognizing one. "He's come home now, has he?"
Dench took another look around him, before groaning and rubbing his forehead. "This... is not going to be easy to explain."

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:02 am

As they came across the heavily cleared area - a less natural scent made its way to the lynx's nose - less of trees and growth, and more of wood, rock and metal. Then was the startled feline, who, before any could even speak ran away as if he realized something in Melissa. The lynx gave a questioning stare at the mechanical construct to ask for answers to the cat's strange behaviour, hoping his newfound friendship with the humorous banter partner not turning into a betrayal in disguise. Before he even had time to survey what was ahead - a very strange construction of some sort - a windmill, from the looks of it, Telemain broke into a panicked worry as he looked over it, mumbling something to himself in shock.

"Telemain? Are you --"

A thud from besides the pair came next. Looking over, Feres saw Naia collapsed. His first instinct was to reach over by her, checking for any sign that this was intentional harm from anyone - or anything - or perhaps it was a physical ailment of some sort that the lynx had overlooked. Telemain knelt by her, checking to see if he could rouse her, but there was no response. With a frightful panic in his eyes, Telemain almost yelled at Feres. You! Feres!" Tel barked out to the lynx. "Run, get help!"

"Is she --" the lynx contemplated for a moment, wondering if he could help with whatever he has in his pack - he hadn't properly diagnosed her but it didn't seem like it was a normal problem. Knowing Naia's odd behaviour on the boat, he knew better than to peg her as a normal patient. "Fine, I'll go." He looked to Immy, giving her a look that simply begged her to keep them safe. 'As if I would needed to be told' would've probably been her response had she been able to speak. The silver fur began to run down to the encampment, but not before giving a brief - but definite glare at Melissa.

Coming near the gates, he yelled out. "Is there a doctor in town?" He slowed down as he got near some random folk, tossing a glance at the windmill and the second that's in the middle of construction - a strange symbol, one he was unfamiliar seemed to decorate its walls. Then there were the rats in the locale. It occurred to him that he may have found the reason for Telemain's earlier distress.

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Sade

Post by Sade » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:59 pm

Dr. Martin, the badger Dean, was coming. Antinom couldn't see her yet, nor was he using what minor magical abilities he possessed to detect her. He had only to watch how his fellow rats further down the street behaved. They rapidly reshuffled- moving furtively, scurrying even- some retreating into buildings or moving further into groups while others simultaneously ventured outside and positioned themselves in plain sight. He could read the changing hierarchies within the factions by how each member moved. The ones standing prominently were the most influential and often the most magically powerful individuals. Standing idly as the Dean walked by cemented their apparent confidence and relative power in the minds of potential competitors. Weaker, less influential individuals would be seen as foolhardy by those they would traditionally have relied on for moving up in the world as nobles if they stood out in such a way. All this activity was deadly serious to those partaking in it, but Antinom couldn't help but find it mildly amusing, so far as he could ever be said to find anything amusing. Of course, he was actively engaged in the activity all the same, in his own way. No matter the circumstances, he always appeared unshakeable, his demeanor always coolly unconcerned yet attentive. He had enemies among his fellow rats, but these enemies had trouble assessing his capabilities and power without any outward indicators to read. Their fear of the unknown overwhelmed any impetus to strike... for the moment.

All these rats vied for positions of power above one another.

And then there was Marcus.

The young rat had an unfortunate tendency to follow University officials around whenever they came through. He showed what many would call an unhealthy interest in the University and the mysterious magics they were rumored to teach within. Antinom suspected the young rat of wanting to enroll. A few days ago, as he understood it, a few others had begun to suspect the same thing, which was why one of the boy's ears had been torn and an eye swollen shut with fresh bruises. The rats watching him had effectively disowned him, and so Antinom had quietly put him to work on the wall where more tolerant and otherwise preoccupied rats and refugees worked. When the Dean finally came around the bend and into view, Marcus was not there. He was working outside. Which was good.

"Can I help you with something?" Antinom asked the badger reflexively, his voice no warmer nor cooler than it ever was, nor marked by any noteable inflection. Even so, the offer of aid was more a question as to why she was here, and an even more deeply veiled 'suggestion' that she should leave. He matched paces with her, heading back towards the incomplete outer gate, setting his previous business aside for the moment.

Marcus, whose name meant... nothing, because his family was destroyed a thousand years ago, the moderate family wealth with which he might have acquired a formal name was gone, and the very institutions by which such an assignment was possible had crumbled so many centuries in the past, was working diligently on part of the scaffolding a few dozen feet ahead of the wall-builder, as first Antinom and then the various lesser rats had taught him to do. His eye was no longer useless, now that the swelling had died down. The radial tare in his right ear probably wouldn't ever fuse back together, being so... significant. He had lacked any real purchasing power among the few ark-borne Dysuhlian doctors, and his people were not known for charity. All he could do is hammer away at the scaffold. He was immensely grateful for the chance to work on... anything at all.

He was distracting from his work by the approach of a familiar face- the kangaroo rat, Jyya- and grinned. Realizing he must look foolish, he stopped grinning. Now he was sure he looked foolish. He glanced to the other nearby workers; most were freed slaves, who didn't really care whether he smiled at a girl; a tiny few were locals to this time and place, who did not seem to care either way as well; and then there were other Dysuhlians of stature, a few of which looked displeased with him. He went back to hammering, his mind wandering as it was wont to do. The kangaroo rat was a kangaroo RAT. Why was it a problem?

"Soot is building up on one of the sails," an older rat intoned in his direction with only moderate displeasure in his voice and pointed to a point near the top of the machine. Marcus found a long-handled broom thrust into his hands, displacing the hammer. "Climb up and sweep it out before it slows us down."

The rat stood on his bit of scaffold, looking forlorn with the broom in hands partially hidden by grey, unadorned clothes slightly to large for him. He did not want to climb the machine. It would be tricky; they would not stop the machine on his account. "What about her!" he blurted, waving the broom in Jyya's direction. The various stories surrounding each of the furs responsible for opening the ark had circulated throughout most of the population at this point. Everyone knew the part Jyya had played in getting past the golems, though not everyone believed it.

"You're right!" The older rat exclaimed. Irony dripped from his every word, but he was more bemused than anything else, and he did not wish any... specific harm on the rat or Jyaa. He got a second broom and tossed it down to the Kangaroo Rat, "you can both scale the tamper and get the job done in half the time! Now go up there and get it done."

The young rat stood and hesitantly picked his way towards the machine, which was also disconcertingly moving ever so slowly towards him on its great wooden wheels. He did not get far before a commotion at the 'gate' brought all work on the site to a grinding halt.

It was not long before Zodt's sharp eyes resolved the shape of the metal construct atop the hill. The other figures, she did not recognize. The Dysuhlian foreman given authority in Antinom's absence was only a split second slower, but far noisier; he turned and shouted, "defend the machine!" at the top of his lungs before grabbing another rat and sending him into the city to muster reinforcements.

The reinforcements included dozens of Dysuhlian rats, dozens of Zodt's cohorts, Antinom, and Dr. Martin. Both sides were armed- Zodt's with the long spears they favored- the Dysuhlian's with a wide variety of conjured and constructed implements- and they seemed far more concerned with each other than any threat in the distance.

That changed only slightly as a rather non-threatening lynx ran in amongst them. "Is there a doctor in town?"

Zodt gestured to a compatriot and sent him running back to town for a doctor.

"I'm a physician," a Dysuhlian rat stepped forwards from the defenders and picked his way to the lynx and jird. He was clearly bothered by something, however, and he was not long in keeping it to himself. "What... 'who' requires aid? I am trained to treat people, not animals."

Zodt released a furios snarl. The back of her fist met the rat's jaw with a distinct crack and sent him immediately to the ground in a heap. The Dysuhlians and Zodt's cohorts immediately began shouting harassment at each other. They split into two groups on either side of the gate, brandishing their weapons in the air at each other. Some of those distinctly unpleasent implements were aimed at Feres.

The freed slaves, meanwhile, had quietly gone about fashioning a stretcher from as-yet-unused planks. They ran unceremoniously between the two sides and up towards the hill.

Melissa was not sure what to do, or how to respond. She hated the hybrid, it was true, and she often fantasized about the woman meeting an unfortunate end... but those were idle, spiteful fantasies of the type a fur might never want to play out. The hybrid also prevented Vedicus from casting teleportation spires with a terminus anywhere close to them, so they were able to proceed on this journey with little worry from those kinds of surprises.

Telemain was... distraught. His facial expression looked broken. He was not the leader he had been a few minutes before. Without him to take the lead, she was lost, and this was the worst time to be lost. The University looked to be under Dysuhlian control... yet Telemain had sent Feres into their clutches!

And then there was Feres, and his reaction to the events. His glare... did he blame her for what was happening to Naia?

The construct was paralyzed by fear and indecision. She stood absolutely still and did absolutely nothing.

After a few moments, two laborers baring a stretcher approached to within a hundred feet, but then abruptly stopped and argued amongst themselves in Dysuhlian. They couldn't bring themselves to come nearer. They were too frightened. Like Melissa, they were paralyzed by uncertainty.

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Post by Kitsunegami » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:32 pm

Jyya wasted no time in getting up to the arms of the windmills, but was unsure of how to manage the task. Perhaps an inventive use of magic? No, that would likely compromise the integrity of the canvas or even the arm. "What do you thing the best way to deal with this is?" she asked as she looked over to her new companion...

Like a bright flash of light in the dark of night, Naia's energies struck Jyya's vision like the beam of a lighthouse. She stumbled away from it for only a second, an 'oh-shit' phrase slid from her lips as she slipped past a ledge, and fell toward where Marcus stood.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:05 pm

The Dean proceeded down the road briskly, robes tied up around her waist so as not to impede her constitutional.
Peripherally, she noted the rustling among the ranks as she approached. Unfamiliar as she was with the names and faces, she could guess that this was a demonstration of status. She payed them little conscious attention; it was hardly worth the effort. None of them had made any direct nuisances of themselves, and she could count on one hand the number of Dysuhlians who actually had the courage to speak with her.
Speak of the devil...

Dr. Martin replied to Antinom's blank question with tones equally free of inflection. "I was going to meet my colleague by the gate. I'm interested in how the meeting went." There was no hint of any note of interrogation, but the opportunity for him to present whatever side of the story he represented to her was clearly outlined.

There was little opportunity given, however. As the pair turned down the long street that led straight through the gate, a small rat with a disproportionately loud voice came sprinting down the street, crying "To the Wall! To the Wall! Defend the Machine! To the Wall!"
Furs from both sides of the Refugee quarter came pouring in from the doors and side alleys facing the street. Dr. Martin grimly added to the tide, feet pounding the as-yet uncobbled road. *Of course. It's been a month since the last major incident, we're long overdue.*

The badger's bulk gave her great assistance in pushing to the fore of the group, Antinom following smoothly in her wake. They arrived at what looked like a riot waiting to happen; one mixed group of furs holding homogeneous weaponry facing off against one homogeneous group holding a mixed assortment of weaponry.
Into this rather tense situation scampered one lynx, whose prosaic appearance seemed out of place.
The Dean was about to send the Warden back to the University for a healer, but someone else --an extremely irritating someone else-- had stepped forward to "offer" his services. The Dean smiled, briefly, as she heard the smack of Zodt's fist against the rat's jaw.

That, however, was not the most diplomatic thing to do in this situation. The two groups took up positions, brandishing their weapons and hurling abuses at each other like drunk undergraduates. This couldn't end well.
Dr. Martin slammed her paws together, creating a lightning-brief flash of light, yelling out simultaneously in her most authoritative voice. "Den Mund Halten!"

In the short second of silence, she spoke again, in a lower tone that would still stand no nonsense. "What has been going on here?" She took a stand in the middle with Feres, looking at both groups as if they were rowdy students she had just caught.

~~~

Paralysis via uncertainty. Such is often contagious, and is almost always debilitating. Telemain was as uncertain as Melissa as to what had happened with Naia, what had happened to the University, what was happening with Feres, and what was going to happen next. After his initial panicked order, he was simply panicked, and not in any condition to think straight.
One odd thing about this condition, though, is that any incident, anything that actually happens, can jar us out of it. The mind, having something outside its problems to focus upon, stops spinning and starts doing its job again.

So it was when the two laborers brought the stretcher up the hill. Whatever he expected, it hadn't been that. The ferx stopped and blinked at them for a half-minute, muttering to himself. "What, a stretcher, but no doctor? Why wouldn't he come?"

Actually, it seemed that the stretcher wouldn't come either. Tel called out to the workers, "Hey, get up here! I'm going to need that! My apprentice needs a doctor!" Neither his words nor his frantic gestures effected much. What was their problem...?

Tel turned to Melissa. "I wonder why... one of them seemed to recognize you, but I don't think you'd seen any of them before..."
The ferx called out to the laborers again, "If you're worried about Melissa," he put his arm around her, "You have my solemn word that she will not harm you. Now, please, get that stretcher up here!" Desperation began to leak up into his voice again.

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:22 pm

There was commotion after he asked for a doctor - all *seemed* well, until someone hit another person in the face, and it looked like a riot was about to break - a fight between two sides. That was when a few of them - from either side no less - decided to point their weapons at the lynx.

"Hey, hey," the lynx raised his arms gently in a comforting motion, his head nervously trying to keep his entire body calm. "Do any of you know who's side I'm even on? It's not fair to point those sharp objects at me,." The commotion drew louder until someone clapped, creating a flash of light to stop the restless armies. A voice rang out during the flash - female with authority yelled in Gawain. "Den Mund Halten!"

The forces stopped altogether, and a badger came forward, standing besides the lynx in the centre of the two angry mobs. She spoke once more in a lower voice that still commanded authority. "What has been going on here?" she asked, looking between the two groups as if they were her children in a classroom.

Feres decided it was best if he would explain himself. His head occasionally turned to look at them and his ears turned to pick up any sudden sounds that could come from anywhere. "Ask them," he said. "I came here looking for some kind of medical assistance - spiritual or magical in nature for one of my party outside above the hill. Next thing I knew this lot was ready to happily throw their arms around my neck. It's a shame I can't return the fair embrace." he jested, still maintaining a wary composure.

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!