The Day after the End of the World (Private)

This is where all of the medieval Gawain role-plays are archived.
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx

Re: The Day after the End of the World (Private)

Post by Rackenhammer »

All present members of the Octariat listened carefully to Zodt's description of how to take down a manufactory. Dr. Martin noticed something about the way in which the jird spoke, and asked, "You are not planning to accompany the team?" Almost immediately afterward, she shook her head. "Ah, of course not. Forgive me for forgetting; you would be needed here more. We'd need someone familiar with the layouts to accompany, or at least give us copies of schematics."

"Hm-mm, as for the resources requested," The Bursar shuffled the papers he'd got with him nervously. The lapine never looked at ease, so it was hard to read his expression. "We do have the weather mages, yes, but not many are travel-worthy, especially after the battle. Alternative means for increasing the water volume upstream may be in order. Perhaps a portal downstream, to teleport that water up to the reservoir?"

That speculation would have set off a storm of suggestions had not the hall been mostly empty. As it was, it got the Dean thinking of other factors that might be leveraged. "If someone could draw up the schematics and specifications, I'd like to distribute copies to the Junior Common Room. This is a research university; if there's a new way of blowing up a spell, the students will find it." She let out a whoosh, in remembrance of particularly spectacular disasters.
"That can go on while we put together a team." She frowned inwardly. One fur in particular would be ideal to take along, but his recovery was... well, she would need to check up on him soon. *Forgive us, Telemain, we ask so much of you...*

Zechariah fielded the question from Prudence. "It would indeed change the layout, though to what extent it would not be possible to say in absence of further information. If we can recruit an expert in the field, so much the better." He didn't feel that Prudence was lacking in communication, though if there was something else she was getting at, he didn't know.
"Right. We are resolved, then, to take the offense? A united front will be invaluable, and we have been reactive too long." The Dragon surveyed the delegates that remained.
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Sponsor

Sade
Dysuhlian >:C
Species: Toaster

Post by Sade »

"Resolution is irrelevant," Priscus intoned, utter indifference in voice and expression clashing discordantly with the content of the words, "if we do not go on the offensive soon, we will be destroyed. All of us will die."

Zodt's expression became grim, "he's right. The rats always solved problems by putting new power to them, not by innovating new solutions, and definitely not by exploiting a new kind of magic they didn't even know existed till a few months ago!"

"It is as the terrorist says," the emotionless rat stated flatly, "she would know. Had any commanders of the Rebellion survived to today they would say the same. We did not adapt to new tactics and so were defeated. Vedicus, by all accounts, was even less flexible then my people. I had hoped this spoke to the creative ability of those who'd created him.

"Obviously I was wrong. Whatever force is at work here, it is adapting rapidly to your tactics and magic."

"I'm going," Zodt insisted. "I want to be there when we hit the manufactories. I… have to be there." Because, she left unsaid, her heart couldn't stand to be here, to see him everyday, to hear the same greeting, see the same recognition in his eyes every morning as if he hadn't seen her since the battle began… "I have to go," she repeated, then, talking to the Dean, "I can provide some of the schematics you seek. I know half a dozen partisans who can contribute some of the rest."

"I also have some experience with manufactories," Antinom rejoined the conversation, "but I will be staying here. Forgive me, but my bones must be 70 by now, at least! But between us, Priscus and I should know most of the buildings' structural weak points." Priscus nodded to him. "Unless of course they have changed…"

Rainwhisker
King
King
Species: Lynx canadensis

Post by Rainwhisker »

The discussion overheard pitted onto the territory of who should go and who shouldn't. Previously, the lynx had muted any kind of interest that might've sparked. But, as the talks went on, the feline recalled the previous description that the stress-fraught jird had given on the manufactory. It seemed like a wonderful idea, and something he was more used to. Something of a smaller scale - he would feel useful in a situation like that. It wasn't a wave of endless dead, it was more familiar. A raid on a crypt, with its own set of challenges. In this, his use of magic was limited. It would be a challenge, especially as the lynx found it a habit to weave magic where he could between a bout of ripostes, but an exciting prospect nonetheless. It stroked his adventuring spirit, rekindling his interest in the matter. There may be nothing much to be won from helping in this matter, but the feline was desperate to find anything to do besides treating a war-torn army made up of the sick, maimed and dying - even if it meant jumping from this fire into another similar situation.

At least this should be smaller, he told himself. Once he was convinced, the grey fur thought of everything he could to contribute, and present a strong case. He shook his head to the beagle he was just expression utter loss and confusion to moments ago, chuckling at nothing in particular.

"They have a plan to destroy one of the enemy manufactories, it seemed - I intend on helping." he told him. "Sorry for my absentmindedness, I was thinking of ways on how I could help."

"I have a suggestion," Feres would speak out when the opportunity arose, partly nervous at addressing such an authoritative group in the open. He licked his black lips as he thought of the words to say. "The actual aim is to flood the place, if I'm not wrong...so we only need water; not necessarily rain or storms. Instead of weather mages, perhaps we have mages on hand that could generate ice or condense water from latent water vapour? Water or ice mages could generate a fair amount, and that alone would give us a supply of water limited only by the vapour in the air. Perhaps mages specializing in wind could blow air in the mages' direction to supply them with enough water vapour too."

"Also, I am willing to take part in this plan where I can help." he added, puffing his chest out after a long, heavy breath. "I've recovered quite well and would like to offer my services as a swordsman, a mage, a combat medic or apothecary. I will assist where my skills are needed."
Image Image- I pranked/shot Felia. Mwahahaaha!

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Sade

Post by Sade »

Nessus was a mote in a stream, not dragged by the current but a part of that current, flowing, babbling across pebbles of consciousness, skirting whirlpools of memories both familiar and alien to his own past self. It wasn't a dream anymore, it was a recounting of things, an appraisal of the pieces on a game board loomed over by massive, impossible forces. It was the game of survival all living things face contorted and extending into the far horizons where twin suns rose opposed to one another. He was a pawn. They were all pawns. The world was a house of cards as it always had been. Their lives were merely unlucky hands dealt by something other than fate. A game…

The Dysuhlian Spellsword orbited a powerful current closer and closer to the whirl at its center until he slid like streaks of soap down a drain…

----

A familiar terrain, the fields south and west of the Unseen Univeristy. It was a memory or the fragments of one from before his first arrival at the fortress of his brother's enemies...

Nessus had planned to relax as they traveled, but his thoughts inevitably turned towards previous events and future possibilities. He tried looking at the sky, the ground, the flora and fauna- all the little details he tended to miss on an average day- but none of that helped. A little feral rat eating a worm at the side of the path draw his attention for a few seconds. The little animal didn't scurry away on their approach, nor did it even deign to stop what it was doing. Whatever the reason, Nessus didn't mind. It provided a momentary distraction for which he was grateful.

Nessus became the worm. Part of him screamed-

----

-Crisp dirt and grass underfoot, tingling with the excesses of magic enveloping all of Wexlar, the thaumatic runoff of a billion experiments over a thousand years of known history. Another familiarity- another memory. They trekked for the treasure laid out by the ghost of his father: Leviathan's Arc...

The grass was crisp, the ground cool; many of the trees displayed colorful autumn foliage to some degree, the others were budding or sprouting or otherwise waking from a winter's sleep... a winter's sleep which they had taken during the summer. Plants and animals all around displayed a similar irreverence toward the seasons being experienced by other kingdoms, other provinces, or even their immediate neighbors in the forest, giving the landscape a kind of surreal quality to it. This radiances diminished slowly as heavier clouds rolled in to hang ominously over the troupe of travelers.

Nessus found all of this nature refreshing, if paradoxical, and a welcome distraction from the dull pain in his legs. As he walked, something at the side of the road attracted his attention: it was a small grey wild rat just like the one he had seen on his way to the University many months before, sitting in the open and chewing on what must have been a small insect. Could this be the same rat? Of course not. Most wild rats only survived about six months in good conditions, let along here! Still, he liked the thought. He walked over towards it. It watched him sidelong from a black beady eye but otherwise continued to go about munching on its morsel. He came closer and knelt next to it. Again, it ignored him. He reached out and poked its flank. It kept chewing. "Huh." The little rodent dropped what it was doing at the noise and scurried into the underbrush.

It watched him it watched him it watched him- beady eyes- flashes of death- screaming in the darkness-

----

An alien mote consumed his un-self, a memory neither his nor similar to anything he knew. It was another land, Domus. They were eyes unlike his, eyes stiff and metallic and perfect and the spawn of the not-god whose powers twirled them all about its fingers. The eyes belonged to the mechanical death and destruction named…

Melissa stiffened as she received new instructions from Tamas. *We will continue on foot. They are not far. Target location is-* and the rest was not easily expressed through words. Suffice it to say, she now had an extremely accurate depiction of where the targets were and where they were headed.

The giant rat launched itself out of the cave and into the woods, with Melissa in tow. A running rat is not running so much as hopping quickly, thrusting forwards with both hind legs simultaneously. It looked normal enough when the rat in question was a foot in length, but something the size of Tamas in his current form looked alien and menacing moving this way.

A tiny brown rat sat just outside the cave and dutifully munched on a morsel. With beady blank eyes, it bore witness to their departure.

The morsel became a sphere of azure blue marred by the browns and whites and beautiful greens of a living world, gnawed upon, carved into, cut to pieces and cast into the vast endless gulf of the dead-

----

-which faced his new friends. New eyes, alive, familiar but belonging to another body, a younger body and mind whose world was torn away and cast to the winds of time. The mind of Marcus…

People were looking at him, but Marcus didn't mind too much. They were not looking *down* at him like his own people did. They could look at him all they wanted as long as they left him alone.

He noticed something small among the garden plants looking *up* at him. Upon closer observation it turned out to be a wild rat, up on it's haunches, munching quietly on some morsel- a seed or insect plucked deftly from the surrounding leaves. He walked over to it, but it's featureless pink eyes did not change; it wasn't watching him. It was watching the school.

"Hey," he blurted without much thought. The rat scurried off into the underbrush.

One of his University 'chaperones' came up beside him, "what?"

"Nothing," he muttered, "some animal."

'Some animal,' irrelevant, a node in a network spanning the night intent on slaughtering every thinking person in the whole of the world, an end to all beauty-

----

A fresh memory of maddeningly obfuscated detail- memory- failure- lover crying standing over him- flashback- confusion- fear- pain burning in his limbs, the sounds of the battle to end battles, the End of Days…

Nessus woke as Darkvalkyr was pulling him off the roof; his eyes flew wide open and he gagged and choked and coughed on a scream, flecking the lynx with specks of blood. He thrashed around before realizing where he was, that he was, somehow, still alive- that he was, somehow, conscious. Part of him cursed whatever force had seen fit to deny him his forever-rest. It was probably the same part of him feeling the pain from the broken left leg and arm and the cracked ribs on that side of his body.

He drifted in and out of consciousness as he was hoisted down into the home, babbling nonsensically, mostly in Dysuhlian. It was the language of his youth, his first life. Speaking Gawainian had become second nature to him, but where there was a second there was always invariably a first- an even more innate, fundamental quantity.

Something flickered in the corner. His dazed eyes saw a shape from his nightmares, and he recoiled, trying to shield his eyes and mind from it, almost tripping the lynx in the process. But the tiny flowing shadow was only a little feral rat sitting in the corner, silently chewing on a morsel, featureless pink eyes looking in two directions, seemingly oblivious to the beginning of the end of the world.

Screaming in the darkness- Nessus, you are not dreaming. Nessus, you cannot win. Nessus, bring Telemain home- home- home- he screamed, his mote exploded, the memories collapsed, the world of living consciousness screamed back at him filling the sky with light and understanding like a nova' bright-

Nessus jerked awake, coated with sweat. He was in one of the Unseen University's infirmaries, he was thoroughly bandaged from his wounds in the battle they had in the end survived and won. It was night, the windows were dark, most of the lanterns extinguished. He heard the murmurs of those other injured souls surrounding him as they too slept and recovered.

The rat braced himself for something alien and terrible, but whatever his dream had been, it did not return to impinge on the true reality through which waking furs traverse.

He lay carefully back against the cot. How long had he been here? He remembered the end of the battle, Darkvalkyr taking him from the roof, blackness, and then this moment right now. Had it been so few hours? It could not be true. He remembered something else. He remembered Zodt standing over him, thinking him asleep, and silently weeping.

The time-lost Dysuhlian closed his eyes and let sleep take him again, with trepidation at first finally driven aside by fatigue of body mind and soul. The vision did not return. He slept soundly at last.

"Do you know what this place is?"

Feral rats climbed around and over him as he pondered. They were everywhere, by the thousands. A forest meadow surrounded him. Oriental trees marked it's periphery: they were in Yamaha, a few miles east of the Great River Kamitsu. There was no one answer to the question. So much had happened within a few dozen miles of this spot, beginning with Kamitsu's Sacrifice towards the east and climaxing with… "This is a battlefield," he answered at length, "the Rebellion and the Dysuhlian Empire fought the Battle for Shiroitoshi here. The Rebellion destroyed the Ziggurat mobile fortress."

Individual rats did mundane feral things and behaved in a way neither unusual nor threatening. As a whole, they swarmed. "No. That is only what happened here, it is not what this place is.

"The peoples of Feila united against the Dysuhlian Empire. This is where they finally came together, furs from all places on this planet, and for the first time fought as one.

"We underestimated their combined power. We did not believe peoples driven so far apart by historical grievances and conceived differences and war could join together so quickly and cohesively.

"They disrupted many of our plans.

Swarming everywhere. Countless tiny eyes, beady, black or reddish pink, peered off in every direction at whatever each individual rat happened to be doing. "The University has grown too strong."

Tamas shook his head, "but Vedicus' attack did so much damage. So many combatants are dead. So much is wrecked."

"And yet it survives," the Masters countered. "You still do not understand. Vedicus has only given them irrefutable, physical evidence of our activities and power. They will use it to bring the other magical institutions into alliance with them. It is only a matter of time.

"That is a threat we can overcome. But, if the greater Kingdoms of Feila unite behind their cause… our position becomes untenable.

"They must be stopped."

Tamas straightened, anticipating new orders, "how do we stop them? What would you have me do?"

A silence was born, and grew, and continued to grow until realization struck. *They do not know… They don't have all the answers.* That revelation rocked Tamas to the very core of his being, but he did not show it. Like Vedicus, he was more than he had been. Like Vedicus, the Masters could so easily peer into the parts of his mind which worked like clockwork- the parts they had designed piece by piece. But, again like that terrible construct which predated him, the new parts of his consciousness were beyond their reach.

He showed them nothing, and nothing is what they saw. "Has Vedicus' death weakened Consensus?"

"Vedicus' betrayal weakened Consensus. Vedicus' death was a possible outcome predicted by calculation."

"Will Dissent act against you, then? If they contact the University, they could disrupt your current plans…"

Ten thousand beady eyes lifted to meet his own. The feral rats squealed and shrieked until with startling abruptness the horrific cacophony formed words, countless thousand incoherent screams constructively and destructively interfering until from the sonic dissonance came meaning, a voice made from innumerable sounds leaping from a sea of black fur and dark eyes. A Voice from the Darkness… "They cannot contact the University.

"We are already there. We have been from the beginning."

The faculty meeting had concluded. They had new plans of action. There were preparations to be made. The attack against the University had been terrible, yet it was only a prelude. A war stretched before them, a history of struggle they had no choice but to charge headlong into.

Zodt leaned back against the outside wall of the cafeteria hall, burying her face in her hands. She so wanted to stay here with Nessus, and yet she so wanted to leave, to fight. She wanted to die and never see that vacant face without memory or care, a lingering life without the presence of mind to live, a father who would forever lack the memory of his own child, growing inside of her.

She could not stay. She had to go. She had to fight, if not to save the tattered remains of her own life then to deliver salvation unto the rest of Feila before the enemy set before them could strike again.

The jird stole herself, cast her gaze back in the direction of the infirmary one last time, and then she fled to prepare for their attack against the golem manufactories.

A feral rat huddled in the corner where two walls met, chewing on a morsel- some unlucky insect it had plucked from between the brickwork. The tiny bug struggled against a force one hundred thousand times more powerful then itself, against a brain one thousand times heavier than its whole body and inconceivably smarter than its own. It stood no chance. The rat's teeth peeled its carapace from its flesh. The rat's tongue licked the juices from within.

Beady eyes bore witness to Zodt stalking off, watching. Always watching.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

The Dean folded her paws into her sleeves as Priscus intoned what was pretty much the majority opinion, and the Badger was not about to contradict him in any way. "Agreed. At this point, a protracted offense is our only defense, possibly our only hope. Let us prepare, and be off."

The meeting was concluded, though what madness would be put into the raiding party the gods only knew. Feres' suggestions were taken into account, and generally followed through with. Ice would, in the estimates of the JCR, probably prove even more destructive than excess water, as its expansive properties could be used to damage hard-to-reach mechanisms. There were, perhaps, very few bodies of furs quite so inventively destructive as the Junior Common Room of the Unseen University. As a matter of fact, until recently its President had been a certain lemur named Matteo...

That name was on the mind of Valencii as he wandered in the cool evening air, near where the dead had been buried. Some had been students of his, and he stopped at the marker with the name of the brightest, and maddest, that had passed through his courses. He took a seat, aware that there was some other fur nearby, but not paying much attention as he spoke, half to himself, half to the dead.
"It is odd, you know, the way the little details stick in one's mind, when one thinks of the departed. Before this whole business had started, Matteo's research project was going to be some kind of pest control. I didn't bring it up later, talk of 'getting rid of the rats' would have given offense. Hm..." And the mouse lapsed into a thoughtful silence.

What most furs call "Time" may be more accurately called "Memory." After all, what is "a minute ago" but a shared tradition? Nothing material remains of the past, nothing material indicates the future, only the eternally escaping "now" is tangible, a series of instants instantly annihilated, remaining only in the minds of furs.

God help you if the filing cabinet gets tipped over.

For the past few days, Telemain had not been exactly asleep, but certainly unaware of his external surroundings. A cloud of chaos inside his head was crystallizing, slowly at first, and in no particular rational order. He dreamt, and his dreams came five at a time, one from his childhood, one from the recent past, another from outside the world. So many were trivial things, and yet the emotions they carried were as serious as the battle of Armageddon. Recent memories, of war and love had come too, and yet they were strangely frivolous, like some staged comedy.

When he awoke, or rather right before he awoke, a phrase sprang to his lips, and he spoke it, the syllables at first having no meaning to him. The ferx sat up, and blinked. It was still in his head, and he repeated it. "Consensus is not Truth."

What had brought that to memory? He supposed it was one of Old Master Skeve's lessons, from his apprentice days. It was the sort of thing the old fox would say.
The journeyman-wizard looked around. He was in his own room. A watch could be heard against the door outside, but he had been left alone to sleep. The familiar surroundings seemed strange. He felt, somehow, that they were a little too big. *I'm not in student's dorms anymore... right?*

It wasn't that he'd lost his memory, exactly. He knew it was all there, but he just couldn't see it, like a street covered in fog. Certain facts were borne upon him, however, primarily hunger. *The Buttery should still be open. I can get some bread and jam at least.*

Recalling all his undergraduate skills, he left an illusion of himself in the bed, and silently crept to the ground-floor window, easing out onto the moon-lit quad.

The University was oddly active at this time of night; were the students cramming for an exam? The ferx wrinkled his brow in effort of remembering. Was he taking any classes? No, but why not? Answers maddeningly eluded him, like words caught on the tip of his tongue.

As he wandered in abstraction, he practically stumbled into a rushing rodent. "Oh, I beg your pardon-" He stopped and stared at the face. Female, worried, what was the name. Zodt, yes, but who was she? It would, he felt instinctively, not help to let on ignorance.
"I'm... on my way to the Buttery. Would you like me to get you something, Zodt?"

Sade

Post by Sade »

"The buttery," she said absently, mind so focused on other things that at first the word in the local language meant nothing to her. "Telemain," she murmured, peering first inwardly and then back at him, "I see you've recovered. The Dean was worried, we were all worried there would be not a thing left…" in your head, she finished silently.

She did not want anything from the buttery, she had preparations to attend to, but an idle, depressing thought entered her mind anyway. She did not know where the buttery was. Was it even still there? Would anything be left of it? Her eyes turned from Telemain and pointed out into the quad, up into the air, toward the gaping black void where the lit windows of the University's student residence should have been, to the pale twinkling stars which only ten days ago would have been obscured by a dark silhouette of a standing structure at the least. Only rubble and portions of the first few stories remained.

The jird could no longer bring herself to hate the University. It had fought too hard and lost too much, and it was clearly not the center of authority and oppression it had once appeared to be. In a war to end all wars, something as minor as a University could itself be a partisan fighting for the freedom to live, just one more member of a scrappy band…

She snapped herself out of this melancholy reverie. "You weren't at the meeting," she remembered. "We are hitting the golem manufactories, Telemain. There is much left to do before we go."

Leviathan intercepted Dean Martin. Well, Leviathan's speaker intercepted her, panting from the run to catch up beyond the flow of the crowd filtering from the cafeteria hall. She intercepted the Dean and doubled over, breathing and waiting, indicated between breaths that Dr. Martin should wait as well.

"I'm sorry," she said after finally catching her breath, "I'm sorry for the… the delay. He wants to talk to you about something."

The tiny ancient mouse in question finally showed up five minutes later. He was certainly no spring chicken. He hadn't been when they'd all first came too in this future world, emerging from those hibernation crypts buried deep beneath the mountains. Now he looked ready to keel over at any moment. That little smile which had once always had a home on his face was now a perpetually pained frown.

His speaker spoke for him, subtle cues in her voice indicating as much, "I can help Telemain. If his mind does not heal on its own, I have the power to undue the damage Vedicus has done, to stitch his memories back together.

"First, I think you and I have something to discuss," the mouse swayed on his feet, leaning heavily on his walking stick, "while there is still time."

He turned and ever so slowly began shuffling in the direction of her office. "Please humor me."

The feline sleeping before him was athletic, relatively tall, with a well developed musculature and good solid bones. His injuries were not particularly acute. If anything they would leave him stronger then he had been. If not, then his experience during the battle would make up any deficiency. Priscus did not nod, or smile, or frown, or display any external emotion. He simply picked up a nearby crutch and jabbed it into an uninjured spot along the feline's flank.

"Caraennyn," he intoned firmly but not so loudly as to disturb the other patients. He jabbed him again, "Caraennyn, wake up."

The feline awoke. Priscus ignored it's reaction to being awoken by him. His voice was unwavering and absolute. They had not conclusively determined the rat's place in the hierarchy of the Unseen University, but he was confident enough that his authority would be supported with sufficient persuasion on his part. "Caraennyn, I am canceling all of your remaining academic responsibilities and transferring you to my department." He had no specific department as such, but that was why he was here. "It is also my judgement that your tenure in the infirmary has been concluded satisfactorily. Tomorrow morning you will gather all proficient players of the sport you call Binggen and instruct them as I have instructed you. They are now in my department and will answer to me."

"I am subsuming the authority of all previous commanders of Binggen teams. They will also report to me and you are to inform them thusly."

"Do you understand?"

osprey77
Marquis
Marquis
Species: Black Cat/Raven

Post by osprey77 »

Orlando stiffened when he heard of the planned offensive action. For one startling heartbeat, he wanted to be there. The previously peaceful beagle was filled for the briefest instant with the warriors desire to destroy all those who would dare cause pain to anyone he cared for. He thought of the hollow shell Crisena had become, of the many mutilated students, faculty, and other patients he had helped to treat, and he wanted to do something.

An instant later, the rage vanished, and the beagle was resigned. He had no combat skill, and while many healers were being released from their infirmary duties, several of his superiors had indicated they wished him to stay on full time for a few more weeks at least. His place was here, the best he could do was to treat the wounded as they came or left. He lay a paw on Ferres’s shoulder. “May fate and fortune be with you all, and may you safely return to us once more.” With that, he returned to the infirmary, beginning to wonder if he’d made the right choice by not going.

Crisena had wandered out into the night, now officially relieved of her duties as a healer. She sat by the pile of rubble that had once been one of the dormitories. Somewhere in all that debris, there were several bodies not yet found—who could say how many?—and one of them was her brother. For the first time in weeks, she allowed herself the luxury of tears, and indeed, all the emotions she’d been holding in since the battle seemed to pour from her unchecked, at last.

When at last her sobbing ceased, she sat silent, completely drained. What was she to do now? She had no brother to look after, no classes to attend, no duties in the infirmary. What good was she to anyone? The Weimeraner had to face the truth—she based her worth in being useful, in doing some good somewhere, but there were not those opportunities here, now, for her. The thought of going home, of facing what was left of her family, was almost worse. What did that leave to her then?

Only two words came to her mind, and she turned them over and over, even as she did the same with the remnants of her brother’s pendant, recovered shortly after the battle. *Fight back.*

Prudence returned to her office and sat silently, wondering if she could in any way help with the planned raid. But no, her fighting days were behind her unless her home came under direct attack. She would have to do the best she could here, whatever her official role was or was not.
"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C. S. Lewis

"With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere."
C. S. Lewis

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"
C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:
http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5253

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Zodt would have had to look closely to see that Telemain's mind was racing as she spoke. Well, racing in terms of effort; "straining" might be a more accurate word.
*Recovery? Yes, I suppose that would account for why I've been in bed... ugh, but for what? What does she mean, anything left? I'm not that badly beat-up.* He concluded it must be hunger, yes; once he got something to eat this infernal fog would clear from his head.

She was pointing at something. Automatically, the ferx followed her gaze, and staggered back at the sight of the ruined student dorms. "Mein gots... Was anyfur in..." He didn't finish the question; the sight of one student on the rubble, looking utterly despondent, was answer enough.
Could it have been an accident? No, the blast trajectory wasn't right. This was an outside assault-
*Images: a town in ruins, with great mechanical monsters marching over a sea of the walking dead; the face that had haunted his nightmares; the feeling of utter helplessness as his mind was rent in pieces-*

He gasped like a drowning man, lost his balance, and had to catch himself on the jird's shoulder. He heard her words, they came to him from a strange sort of distance. There were shapes, now, in the fog...
"Right, right." He stood up straight again. "Really need to eat something now. Talk later, ja?" And he stumbled off in the direction of the buttery.

~***~

Dr. Martin had waited patiently enough for Leviathan, reflecting not for the first time upon the double irony of his name. His frame was almost a comic contrast to the images conjured by his name, those of a huge, primordial sea-monster... And yet, his reputation could hardly bulk larger than that. In any case, the badger was willing to own that he'd have something useful to say.

When he offered to help Telemain, though, he must have known how his words had hit the mark. The Dean opened her office door to him, and took a seat opposite. "Well, let's hear it, then."

~***~

"Mph... five minutes, ma..." The cliches are almost always right. It took quite a bit of prodding for a groggy and insulted-looking Caraennyn to come to wakefulness, rubbing his backside with an injured air. "Whaddayawnat? Convalescing here..." He mumbled.

It took some time for Priscus' words to sink in. The cat was not quick on the uptake at the best of times, and this was not one of them. He tried to focus on the few words that made sense, piecing them together in some attempt to get the gist of what the rat was saying.
"You're... our new coach?" He looked a little incredulous, but shook his head. It wasn't his place to question, but... "Most students played... there weren't many who were on any official team..." He mentally cast over the roster, and frowned. "Um, most of our best players were on the front lines with me... half of them are dead. Not many left in one piece, either." He gave a sort of helpless shrug to the coach. "It'll be a while before anyone feels like playing, but I guess that's for morale, right?"

Sade

Post by Sade »

"A reasonable assumption," Priscus replied, "for now we will claim it as our purpose.

"We must not deprive the other departments of valuable assets, so you will focus on recruiting students similar to yourself; specimens with strength, lasting endurance, and mediocre talent in the thaumatic sciences. They must be made to contribute to this war in a meaningful way now, not ten or twenty years from now. Whether they desire to play is irrelevant. They will participate or they will face censure for dereliction of duty."

"I have heard of your accomplishments on the front line, Caraennyn," he continued, taking a nearby seat. "You supported the student Matteo on a mobile weapons platform quickly destroyed; you lost a fight with the traitor Amelia; you failed to prevent the death of said student Matteo who was himself a vast investment in time on the University's part; your application of magic throughout proved uselessly impotent."

He paused to observe those words sink in, interested if not curious to see whether they would impart anger or shame.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend," Leviathan spoke through his speaker as she helped maneuver him into an available seat. In truth she did most of the work, and stood by his side to keep him from sliding off in one direction or another like a meager pile of old laundry. The mouse placed his minimalistic walking stick in his lap and gripped the head of it, the motion carrying the impression of an old, comforting behavioral quirk. "Words of wisdom older than time itself, as relevant and true now as they must have been then."

"How best to put this…" he temporized. "Your enemy, our mutual enemy, is no more cohesive then the collective grouping of your people and mine, or the sovereign Kingdoms of Feila for that matter. I don't think it is capable of true division, but it is surely factionalized to some degree as different groups grapple with the same foe, that foe being all Feilans everywhere. The monolithic enemy is divided, Dr. Martin; it is secretly unsure, unable to precisely define its own goals and the means to those ends."

He held each hand out in turn, "So on the one hand you have a group bent on your destruction, and on the other you have a potentially opposing group with some other goal. Well, the rest writes itself, does't it? The old tenet applies."

"As for Telemain…" he visible gathered himself, though this had precious little effect on his feeble bearing, "as for Telemain… I… recognized his face…"

The speaker stopped, eyebrows furrowed. Leviathan's communication had lapsed into incoherence. The mouse scratched the back of his head, his frown deepening with effort. After a moment he continued through her, "our nightmares carry us to another place than yours do, Dr. Martin. In mine I saw a dark-faced ferret enveloped in light, and then I saw the end of the world. These dreams plagued my sleep a thousand years ago, again and again."

"I know my mind is beginning to falter. This is to be expected- I was never intended to function for so long- but I swear to you my recollection of that face is accurate. It was Telemain, Dr. Martin, floating there, bringing about the end of the world by some cruel mechanization of magic, metal, and fate.

"It is my belief that our enemy needs Telemain for something, though whether the purpose is truly the destruction of the world I cannot say for certain…"

"I have kept this to myself all these weeks for fear of your reaction. It is too easy for curiosity to overwhelm reason. An ill-conceived quest for answers could have delivered him into their hands so easily. But now, as I consider the possibility of killing him, I cannot say with certainty that his death would serve us, and more and more I realize that the search for truth is a necessary one.

"This war could end everything of value in the world such that the deepest buried ark could not preserve it. We need discourse with those who oppose us, whether they be the faction actively seeking our extermination or some other. We need mutual understanding."

"I know where to find them, Dr. Martin, I know where they live, and I know in my heart it is he who must ultimately go to them. I have always known."

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Anger and Shame both battled behind the scenes of Caraennyn's visage, but utterly failed to usurp the reign of Confusion. The first 'we' had probably lost him, but then there were a bubble of questions under the surface. Such as, when was this authorized? Why was anyone bothering to deal with such an obvious failure as himself? And what, in the name of sanity, could anyone expect a student's game to contribute to a war effort at this time?

"Um... alright?" He rubbed the back of his head, in a manner which had made many a professor roll their eyes. "I don't get what you think you can do, but if you think it'll help everyone else, I'm in." The cat gave him a weak smile, trying to hold back a wave of sorrow summoned by memories of the dead.

~***~

"The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. Mutual work must go into making us friends." The Dean was not one to disrespect the wisdom of the ancients, by any means, but wasn't inclined to take it at face value, especially in contrary to common sense and experience. "Convenience and circumstance can break mere practical alliances as easily as they are made. Real friends have something in common besides an enemy."

The badger sighed, frowning in thought as she reflected upon Leviathan's words. If he had any assurance of his knowledge, then of course, it was very welcome. But... he hadn't specified just what exactly they were up against. The language was vague, though to be fair, meaning may have been lost through translation.
Then he brought up Telemain. While all students were, in some sense, her children, Telemain had rather literally seen her as a mother. This was no easy thing to hear of a son. "I happen to know..." She began, hesitantly, "That he has had the same nightmares. I am loath to do anything that would break his mental state, especially after what has happened. But before I agree to anything, I want to know what he is supposed to be going to.
"What manner of things are we fighting?" The final question was practically shouted, and the badger seemed apologetic at losing composure. Still, she gazed back at Leviathan with intensity, that of a scholar who wants to get to the point at last.

"Erm, Doctor Martin?" All eyes turned to the doorway. Telemain had sucsessfully secured bread, sausage, and ale from the buttery, and his wanderings while eating had brought him to the Dean's office. He didn't know the conversation had concerned him, but something in the air seemed to warn him that some relevant business was being discussed. "What...?" The fog in his mind could hardly let him finish the question.

Sade

Post by Sade »

Priscus was not a sadistic rat. He would not cause pain, emotional or physical, for the fun of it as some of his colleagues might have in the distant past. He did not relish in suffering then, and he did not now, but a man's reaction to pain, and to shame, could tell a great deal about his character. The feline, however, seemed more confused by the discussion than anything else.

A sorrow of sorts was present, though be it for the dead or for his failures the rat could not know. He took a guess anyway, for he had an important point to make. "Your failures on the battlefield were less your responsibility than you might think. Every combatant is useful in the correct situation. Conversely, every combatant, even the most powerful of your University mages, will be totally useless in others. It is the failure of the commanding officer when his men are placed in the wrong situations.

"You have been improperly utilized thus far, as have many similar students. It is my intention to put you and they to the correct use. We cannot hide behind our walls any longer. It is we who must go to meet our enemy now." He stood and put the crutch back in it's place, but not before using it to indicate something on Caraennyn's face, "this bruise is fresh. I advise against engaging in frivolous fisticuffs from now on."

With that, the rat turned and departed.

"Extraordinary," Leviathan remarked, carefully sliding from his chair onto his feet and shuffling over to the ferret. He circled Telemain slowly, prodding him with his walking stick now and again as if testing the solidity of the mage. "Quite extraordinary. You are awake, you are walking, you are even able to speak, more or less! You must be very lucky or very strong.

"Dr Martin, I know the kind of information you crave, but I don't have it. I have told you what I know of the enemy's motives and state of mind. Perhaps I've forgotten something relevant, but I swear it can not be what they look like or what they are. I am sorry." He circled the ferret again. The tiny mouse's face remained tinged by the pain of withering old age and his eyes remained shut as they always were, but he really did appear to be looking at Telemain, meeting his gaze, looking him up and down as one of great experience might appraise a promising neophyte. There was something else there, though, a sorrow of sorts; a regret. "Telemain must discover these things for himself."

"Telemain," he now addressed the feilan directly, through his speaker, "you have been dreaming, Telemain, but it was not like a dream, was it? Tell us; what did you see, if anything? What did you hear? What do you remember?"

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

"Oh." Caraennyn had to admit, it all made sense now that Priscus had laid it out. There had to be some place where the feline would be useful, and as it was his duty to fill it, so it was his leader's duty to figure out what it was. Since he really was good at quad games, that was the logical starting point, and any like-minded students should probably accompany him.

"No worries, sir." He slightly elevated his bandaged forearm with a rueful smile. "I've learned to pick my fights a bit better, at least."
As the rat left, Caraennyn tested himself on his feet, mildly surprised at how well he was holding up. Perhaps some emotional catharsis had helped him. In any case, his task was clear: find out how many players he could field.

Carefully, he eased himself out of the infirmary, heading to the quad as the first site of recruitment. If there were any students out there, chances are they could be considered candidates.
His first encounter, however, was with Crisena. He remembered her from the infirmary, but wasn't sure if she was ever on the playing field. "Hey, uh, Crisena, was it? This might seem an odd question, but how good of a binggen player were you?"

~***~

Dr. Martin was quieted, but not appeased. Her look for Telemain was more one of maternal concern, which he returned with a weak smile. He took another bite, as his forehead crinkled in the effort of thought. "Remember...?" Memories loomed like icebergs in a foggy sea, and one might have thought that memories of a dream would have melted in the confusion.

But those dreams... those he could not forget if he would. They had driven him through all the physical and mental anguish, with all the force that one could muster to disprove a prophesy. "What I remember... is being in the middle of a wasteland.... freshly made, if you know what I mean. There's nothing and no one there, but I can hear a voice... Vedicus' I think, congratulating me." The ferx shuddered, as if to dislodge the ghosts from his shoulders. "I don't want that to become true; but I don't know..." He trailed off, the blankets of fog closing in on his mind's eye.

osprey77
Marquis
Marquis
Species: Black Cat/Raven

Post by osprey77 »

Crisena looked up, startled. She paused to think for a moment, even as she sized up Caraennyn’s still-bandaged form. “Should you be up and about yet…?” She mused, then, in a louder voice, answered his question. “I didn’t play often, but I held my own…” She remembered the look on Giolen’s face the time she’d steppe din as a fill-in, and had actually proven capable. “It was always more of my brother’s—” Her voice broke on ‘brother,’ but she managed to go on after clearing her throat. “—brother’s game, but I played well, and anyway, defensive light magic translates well to game skill…”

Having answered his question, the grey dog had one of her own. “Why do you ask?”

A veritable army had stopped just outside of town, though, if one looked closer, it wasn’t a very intimidating fighting force, as they went. At least half of the group were too old or too young to fight, and all were weary and pawsore with much travel. But in the eyes of those able to fight there was a fire and determination—they were done being passive bystanders.

Yearo Tome-Trolon-Rief sank wearily down on a stone beside the path as they waited for the rest of the Fey villagers to catch up with Robyn’s band and the leaders of the Fey. Syle the otter gave a concerned look to the old vole. Yearo had actually weathered the journey quite well, considering his age, but the otter was nevertheless concerned for his adoptive parent.

He turned to survey the war-scarred swathe of destruction between them and their final destination. Yearo read his son’s expression n lay a weathered paw on Syle’s strong one. “Patience, my son, we will get there in time.”

Syle glanced at the village leader, then out at the university again. “Yes, father. But have we gotten here in time is the key…”
"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C. S. Lewis

"With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere."
C. S. Lewis

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"
C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:
http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5253

Sade

Post by Sade »

Leviathan broke into a severe coughing fit just then, covering his mouth too weakly and slowly to prevent a few spatters of black, viscous puss from landing on Telemain's midriff. His speaker was by his side in an instance with a handkerchief to catch the rest, her brow creased with concern. It wasn't just that he was dieing, it was that he refused the help of healers, and it was the mysterious nature of his illness which troubled her. She'd had the black stuff inspected by healers before, in secret, and they had never been able to identify it.

The mouse himself allowed the ratess to support his weight until the convulsive retching ceased. He could sense the eyes of the other furs on him. He did not need his own eyes to see them, nor the room; he perceived the emotions and memories linking everything together. It was a layer of reason draped delicately over the visible fabric of the world, something invisible to so many but always present.

At last the coughing came to an end, and he shakily returned his weight to his own feet. Through his speaker he beckoned Telemain to kneel, bringing his shut eyes in line with the ferret's own. "I can help you Telemain, but only if you do not resist. The experience may be unpleasant or painful. You may recall things you would sooner forget. You may recall things which I have long since forgotten. Just try to remember that I am here to help you."

"Try to remember…" his eyelids flicked open, revealing a visage from Telemain's nightmares. White, featureless, incredibly intense, the mouse's eyes drilled into him. "…anyone can change." And in that instant of surprise, Leviathan - a tiny mouse at the locus of something ancient and ethereal - entered Telemain's mind, and the world receded from view…

Memories came and went and twisted and contorted into each other, fragmented and broken, tiny bits of happiness and sorrow and frustration and joy. The experience was not terribly unlike what Vedicus had done to him on the battlefield. It was a deeply personal violation, but where before the damage had been mind-shattering and had quickly banished rational thought, now the scattered things began to form back together, meaning returning to that which had been rendered meaningless.

There were also unfamiliar memories coming not from within, but from the mind of Leviathan. Flashes of faces, feelings of love and regret.

One particularly strong memory was at once a few months and a thousand years old. People were running and screaming, struggling to carry their belongings and children even as many were cut down. There were flashes of magic, explosions, fire and death, the screeching of tortured metal, the thunderous 'thoom'ing of Dysuhlian turrets, hellfire elementals careening to and fro overhead, disjointed pieces of urgent conversation; "-ow they found us! Need to get in now- -automatic function, they don't know we're here yet- -those people underground now!- -damaged the Ark- -not ready- -take the risk-"

The memory faded. The chaos of Telemain's mind was beginning to settle, but another unfamiliar memory soon intruded, older than the last…

"Dissent grows stronger. A song from the darkness beckons to them, but it cannot be trusted. We will lose Consensus to them. They will undo our work, they will turn control into oppression in service of lyrics beyond their understanding, but they cannot undo you."

"What should I do?"

"Survive."

The voices receded.

Telemain found himself in a foreign environment littered with scrolls of various sizes strewn about on ornate furniture or stored on curious racks designed for that purpose. It was a study of sorts, but the style of everything was very off. The room was built largely from black marble with white marble adornments throughout. The ceiling was very high and vaulted. A window looked out over a city of similar construction sat upon a high plateau overlooking mountains of granite and green, fertile valleys.

Everything had a blurry, indistinct quality to it. The world felt real, but it also felt faded like an old painting. The scrolls crumpled immediately to dust at the slightest touch. The floor did not seem stable- the whole world did not seem stable- everything slowly rocked back and forth. Gravity obeyed no one. An occasional rumble from below shook dust from cracks in the walls and ceiling.

Leviathan was also there, though he looked much younger; he stood erect, his fur was full and glossy, he still had both his flesh-and-blood hands, and his eyes were open. Those eyes, they really were so like the eyes of Vedicus.

"It is not a coincidence," he broke the silence, speaking aloud on his own. After a few moments he gestured at the surroundings, "I'm sorry I had to bring you here. Something in your mind or soul was going to kill me. It will succeed sooner or later, but time has little meaning here."

"I was able to repair some of the damage though. Your thoughts should be clearer now."

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Caraennyn ignored the question of whether he ought to be up and about yet. He felt too restless for lying down to much good anyhow; he'd just toss and turn and unwind his bandages out of boredom.

The cat had to approach this delicately; the healer had apparently lost a brother. He sat down next to her, understanding in his eyes. "They're putting the team back together; there's a lot of students better at games than studies, so we're trying to make use of those skills so everyone can contribute. You'd probably be better in the infirmary, but then, if we take to the road, we'll probably want you along anyhow." He shrugged, and was about to continue when he heard a commotion by the gate.
"What in the world is going on out there?"

~***~

The approaching group was a motley one, not the least because it was really two groups. The first were the refugees from Trolon-Rief, the second were their escorts, the exiled court of Lord Robyn Fluelln. Gwynned Welsh all, they had pledged to help Kasha on her quest, and by extension, escort her town to their Comrades-in-arms, the University. Robyn and his wife had actually been looking forward to coming back, reuniting with old friends, and their son. However, the sight of the blasted earth was a sobering one for them.

"Well, there's a road through it, pretty fresh at that." He tapped the flagstones, noting how they shone in the summer sun. The old cat shrugged, before motioning his followers in line. "We'll take point; see who's patrolling the walls."

It was a subdued party that made their way across the blasted hills, a grim-faced scout named Morgan at the front, eyes peeled for sign of sentry. Within sight of the gates he halted, as he heard the hailing call. All looked up, and saw a horse wearing the University colors. Morgan let out a whoop, caught by the others in a rousing cheer. They had not come too late; the UU was still standing.

~***~

The ferx shied as the black phlegm specked his vest, as if it were contagious. Perhaps it was, for all he knew. Off-handedly, he zapped it with a little static, frying the substance to ashes and flicking it away. Uneasily, he knelt to meet the eyes of the ancient mouse.

Dear God, what eyes! Eyes like that were too uncanny for any mortal fur to possess; only Vedicus had possessed the like. Telemain found himself caught in the gaze, and in the mental thrall that followed...

Memories... the stuff that we and dreams are made of. What had been scattered to the winds and lost, the winds were now returning. Again, they fell into their old lines, replacing the fog of thought with clear recollection. But...

What was that? He didn't remember... remembering that. That must not be his, but Leviathan's... So what about the other? Again, the phrase upon waking came back into his mind, "All Consensus must fall to one overlooked fact." Was that the exact phrase? Never mind, the meaning was the same...

Telemain came to, but not in the Dean's office, or any place that was technically a place. It was a stone library, fragile as an old oil painting, and unsteady as a ship at sea. He blinked, standing beside a chair he dared not sit down in, and staring at the younger Leviathan.
"The fog is gone, but I am still confused." Tel's voice was clear and simple, like that of a child's. "I believe what you speak of is that which we have called the Majide. What it was exactly, none of us knew." The ferx frowned, not sure with which of his many questions to begin. "My jinx... Vedicus... Dysuhl... Consensus and dissent... what does it all mean?"