Welcome to the World of Feila!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

MACS - Char creation and playtesting is open

The Midas Arena was a stat-based battling forum that was retired. This is where all of the Midas Arena role-plays are archived.
Jackie Haystack
God

MACS - Char creation and playtesting is open

Post by Jackie Haystack » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:17 pm

Sort of.

Right, first of all, understand this, MACS was never intended to be a balanced system at all, and as a result, char creation as I am going to outline it here will never run off of a point system, or around making all characters equal. In the end, the power gamers will find eachother or adjust down to appropriate levels, but as a hint, no skills above level ten and defences should definitely be lower for the most part.

So... here goes with character creation for the Mostly Accuract Combat System.

First up, pick a name. This can either be a current medieval character or a one made fresh for the system.

Secondly, put down the basic stats (these ARE set for each character, though you are welcome to PM me if you really feel that they should be changed):

HP: 10/10
AP: 5/5
(2 HP/1 AP loss ratio)
move: 1 (meaning it takes 1 AP to cover a distance)

Thirdly, and this is where you start to make decisions, choose your character's active defence values:

At the moment the two defences are dodge and parry, while parry is usually better for any trained swordsman, it means forgoing AP in your turn to use it, dodges have no penalties except for a chance to trip on a double 1 resulting in a loss of all AP for a turn and only being able to parry in response.

As a matter of point, civilians would probably have something like:

dodge: 6
Parry: 5

but this is due to the lack of combat experiance, any soldier is more likely to be:

dodge: 8
parry: 10

fourth is to pick your skills. At the moment, all characters are restricted to three skills and all must be either a type of weapon, sheild or armour. And no, in the object of encouraging characters that you like, I wont tell you what every weapon etc. you come up with does (though links to more exotic types would be useful) on the plus side, this means you can let your imagination go wild with what to use.

Now, picking skill levels will be down to you, but I will quickly outline what each represents:

1: this skill is completely foreign to the character, not only do they have no experiance with the object, but they have no idea at all as to how it could be used.
2: this skill is completely inappropriate for the character, they have no desire to learn or use it, they are physically inappropriate to use this skill.
3: this skill is something the character struggles with physically or mentally, they may have the desire to learn it but a sevre handi-cap is holding them back
4: this skill is something the character has an interest in or is physically suited for but has never actually used the object before
5: this skill is one the character has used before but only for a short period of time
6: the character has practiced the skill and could be considered a novice
7: the character has either practiced by their self for a long time, recieved formal tutulage about the skill or used it more than once in a real fight, at this level they understand the basic techniques used to use the skill
8: the character is a regular user of the skill, about average at it
9: the character is above average
10: the character is at a level good enough to beat most of the less hardcore users of this skill (this is what most experianced fighters would be at for their main weapon)
11: the character is talented and has practiced
15: the character is reknowned for this skill
20: the characters level with this skill shows a life time of work and perfection along with an incredible innate talent, no one is really able to reach this god like state.

Sponsor

omndragon
Duke

Re: MACS - Char creation and playtesting is open

Post by omndragon » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:00 am

Omon
(2 HP/1 AP loss ratio)
Move: 1 (meaning it takes 1 AP to cover a distance)

Hmmmmm I notice there is no limit on the points for the dodge and parry front. Is there a limit to what point we can put on these stats? I see two examples, but both examples don't equal to the same number. Are there a number of points you give total for us to distribute? Like something along the lines of 15 points to distribute among these two stats?

Dodge: 12
Parry: 3

Again I don't see a limit to what I can place here for the skills. Is there a point limit here? Something like 30 pts to distribute among your three skills.

Magic: 20
Long sword: 5
Light Armor: 5

Well I made a character, but I am unsure if I have done it correctly. Please tell me if I did anything wrong.
"Some things in life can't be taught they must be learned." - unknown

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin

Jackie Haystack
God

Post by Jackie Haystack » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:11 am

'no skills above level ten and defences should definitely be lower for the most part.'

so your dodge and magic are out at the moment (especially as dodge should be lower than parry unless there's a very good reason for it)

'all characters are restricted to three skills and all must be either a type of weapon, sheild or armour'

meaning that again, Magic is out.

And no, there is no 'points limit' at the moment, and I'm not sure whether there will be, I prefer the idea of free form creation much more (though Canis is working on a job system at the minute)

omndragon
Duke

Post by omndragon » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:38 am

hmmmm, no magic. I see. It wasn't mentioned, or it wasn't made clear. I figured it was forgotten.

Omon
(2 HP/1 AP loss ratio)
Move: 1 (meaning it takes 1 AP to cover a distance)

I like dodge better then parry. It isn't a special reason, but I hope it is sufficient for you.

Dodge: 10
Parry: 5

Tumble: 10
Long sword: 10
Light Armor: 10

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin

Jackie Haystack
God

Post by Jackie Haystack » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:51 am

well, it's a bit of an odd way becuase off course, dodges are far more penalty free than parries.

Also, what is a tumble? In terms of weaponary, armour and sheilds.

omndragon
Duke

Post by omndragon » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:59 am

Well tumble is like doing acrobatics on the ground. Flips, rolls, etc.... Though mainly I guess it doesn't do much in this setting. I don't imagine doing a flip behind a character will do anything spectacular here. Though I figure it could be viewed as a way to moving through your grid system. Maybe give a slight advantage. I don't know how your grid system or how your MAC works, but I wanted to pick a unique skill. I am not sure if it will fit, but I felt long sword, shield, and, armor where static choices.

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin

Jackie Haystack
God

Post by Jackie Haystack » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:09 am

Sigh... I'm gonna need to do my whole evil emotionless thing here.

But... when told to playtest, a basic system, one for which even the basics are not down fully, and told exactly what categories of skills you may indulge in for the time being, you decide to make up a skill out sideo f said categories on the basis of being unique.

Especially as, at the moment the grid system is not in play (it's ready thanks to Rabid, but it's still not used yet) though admitedly, that's my fault for not informing you.

look, I don't mean to be harsh, and I do see HOW that skill could fit in rarely (allowing you to check to avoid tripping on a double like all people who dodge do) but still >.> your char's fine, I suppose, now to throw up some stuff for you:

Tumble: whenether this character is about to fall from dodging they may take a tumble skill check, keeping AP from their fall equal to their margin of success

Long sword: just the normal sword of the period, there fore, no real special abilities

1AP to swing:
swinging does: 2d10 cutting damage

1AP to thrust:
thrusting does: 2d10 peircing damage
however, your opponent is at +2 to dodge when thrust at as it's easier to move out of the way of a thrust

now, to armour, which I may need to explain a little but first, the profile for leather armour (which is what I'm giving you from light)
leather armour:
Pi DR: 2
Cu DR: 3
Cr DR: 4

DR simply means damage resistance, in other words, the number of damage points it reduces, the codes before it merely designate what type of damage it reduces, so in this case, if swung at with a sword it does CUtting damage so you'd reduce the damage rolled by 3. Please note that all attacks that hit must do a minimum of 1 damage.

omndragon
Duke

Post by omndragon » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:34 am

Ahhh I didn't know you were going to do Damage resistance. I also see that the damage resistance is toward different type of weapons. This is a bit hard to do without knowledge of your MAC system. Is it available for viewing. From what is read on your blogs there is not much information on what you used in your MAC system.

Since you were blunt with me, I feel I can be blunt with you. I don't know what AP is. I don't understand how to create a character when the few nuggets of information you do give out do not explain ...... well anything. To be honest, I feel that without reading any of your rules, and without knowing what all of your terminology means, I am putting together a character in the dark. I mean knowing that there were no skills above ten would have saved me two posts, Knowing that dodge has more penalties then parry would have saved me a post, and knowing the damage weapons inflict could help me pick a weapon. Well I guess I can always make another character when the MAC rules are available for viewing.

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin

Jackie Haystack
God

Post by Jackie Haystack » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:54 am

Information on MACS is sorta scattered at the moment, but the only thing I've 'sprung' on you is the idea that weapons and armour behave differently, something that shouldn't be hard to guess. AP has being a principle from the very begining of having action points and was disscussed in the playtesting volunteers thread.

The none above ten ruling was on this thread. The point about parry should be higher was on this thread as well.

The fact that it was a layered system and there fore magic wouldn't be in the base was again, something I've expressed and even written in my blog.

Weapons are purposefully a matter of pick your own not only to allow more creative freedom, but to ensure that the system gets playtested in a wide variety of ways rather than just the 'most effective' way.

The same goes for the rules black out, I would much rather players make a character in the dark as you put it at the moment as it ensures that I get a wider variety that get used in playtesting of the system.

So, sorry if this seems off, but both of your complaints that caused you to waste a post have being expressed in this thread, and most others are adressed else where, which while i know is not ideal, is something you will have to bear with me on while I and Canis work out the basics.

omndragon
Duke

Post by omndragon » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:42 pm

That would have been nice to post at the begging of this thread. Such explanations are gruff but they give me a why you are doing this play testing in this fashion. Also I will recommend that you do not as you put it "do your evil emotionless thing" when I pick skills that are interesting. As you said to "let your imagination go wild with what to use". It is giving mixed signals. Do you want creativity, or do you want for me to make a simple character? As I am unsure what you want, I will indulge you and continue as best I can. We will see how your contradicting posts lead us down the rabbit hole.

Signiture
Omon
Renkin
Grim
Dorin

Jackie Haystack
God

Post by Jackie Haystack » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:11 pm

Hmm, it's mixed signals to tell people that skills are restircted to categories X Y and Z but then to tell them that they may let their imaginations wild with in the constraints of X Y and Z? Wow, I apologise profusely, clearly I do not understand the principles of precedent and scope of context, I will go learn.

I am also obviously at fault for not putting what is in the post at the start of the post... no... wait, let me think this through here, yeah, sorry obviously my bad again.

And I'm obviously retarded for expecting you to read the post to check you understand what you are doing, how terrible am I? Some evil dictator for expecting people to read my posts, how utterly reprehensible.

my posts are to my knowledge not contradictory at all, or where they are, maintain either a mechanical difference, known as evolution of the system, or are you interpreting me wrong. Obviously this is all my fault for leading you down this incredible rabbit hole.

Oh, and obviously this is needed now any way:

TL;DR: read above,

[why yes, I am in a bad mood, thank you ever so much for helping drive it onwards]