Welcome to the World of Feila!

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

Kills 99.9% on Contact!

For non-canon Feila and non-Feila role-playing, the Twilight Zone offers a venue to experience all time and all settings. If you'd like to role-play in a time period that has no canon counterpart, or if you'd like to role-play on a world that is not Feila, then this is the place. All races are allowed, including humans.
Asyriel
God
United States of America

Re: Kills 99.9% on Contact!

Post by Asyriel » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:47 am

Dima frowned as Randy talked about the merit of gathering survivors in Los Andales. "I suppose it's a good place if you're trying to get everybody together to ship them someplace else or..." She didn't finish the statement, but it's clear her thoughts were dark. "Not what I would call an ideal place to rebuild society though. I tend to agree with Jesse on location. If we want to rebuild here, we're going to need places to grow crops and raise livestock. Not much of that to be found in the middle of a metropolis." She explained her thoughts as they barreled down the roads.

They careened into the parking lot, and Randy Vaulted out of the vehicle. Dima stopped long enough to grab the cooler full of fish before following behind him. She arrived at the door to Jesse's broadcast center just as Randy started pounding on it.

Dima was obviously greatly relieved when Jesse opened the door, at least nothing had happened to the pair in the studio; that knowledge dispelled some of her fears, but brought new questions to mind.

She put a steadying arm around Randy as he stepped aside to catch his breath. The action was an obvious sign of concern for the raccoon as he insisted on pushing his limits. "We were more worried something had happened to you." She explained. "Your broadcast cut out suddenly and some creepy announcement claiming to be official FCC came on. They were talking about broadcasting on AM, FM, and a bunch of other frequencies being illegal then went on to order people to go to Los Andales." She frowned as she spoke. "I don't like it. Something doesn't feel right about it." She looked around with obvious suspicion, suddenly wishing she was carrying her rifle. "My biggest concern at the moment though is just how did they interrupt your broadcast?"

Sponsor

Larcen
Duke
Species: Coyote

Post by Larcen » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:14 pm

Cila led the panting Randy to a chair in the kitchen, and Jesse followed, listening to Dima the whole way. The yote's pale eyebrows furrowed in thought. "Well, unlike FM which is line-of-sight only, AM broadcasts can bounce off the atmosphere and reach anywhere, and shortwave goes even further than that. With the wattage we're putting out, LA can probably hear us. All they'd have to do is tune in, then send a more powerful broadcast on the same channel to interfere with our signal, jamming it. Then you wouldn't be able to hear us, but on our end, we didn't know anything had happened. But they said they were from the FCC?"

"Yeah, 'cept...hey, come to think of it, they didn't do that ERRRNT...ERRRNT...ERRRNT sound like they do when they do that 'this is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System' bit. Somebody's faking, but it sounds like they're trying to get things back together, larger scale, and trying to sound official about it. Say, nobody came by, right? No old hippie cat and a mute pony?"

"That's...very specific, but no, not that either of us have seen."

"Huh...He seemed to like you enough; why didn't he come by? It was a short trip, even with a hangover," Randy puzzled.

"You do not suppose they followed the other broadcasht, do you?" Cila piped up, and Randy shrugged.

"Weird. We better make sure we're prepared though," Jesse said gravely. "Dima, you know how to handle a gun, that's for sure. Randy?"

"I never thought I'd want to, but sure, yeah."

"And Cila--"
"--I do not have the fingers for it, but I can be effective in other vays," she answered, trying not to glaze over again as she had after the "police" incident.

"All right then. Everyone take a weapon with you when you go out. Don't shoot unless they draw first, but if they do, shoot first; aim for non-vital targets. We may get information out of them. I don't want violence in our community, but we'd be foolish to not have the means to defend ourselves. If you need guns, we can go out for a supply run. There's a few shops in the area, and...heck, more homes around here were armed than weren't; 'nother benefit of being in hick country." Jesse looked to Dima for confirmation. "Maybe you should lead; you're the more experienced here, so if you want, go ahead and take charge of homeland defense," he offered.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." --Groucho Marx

You say 'fundamentalist' like it's a bad thing. X3

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:37 pm

Dima listened as Jesse explained how his broadcast could have been jammed, nodding in understanding as they went. "They SAID they were from the FCC." She replied. "Though I'm skeptical. The tone of the announcement was all wrong." She nodded when Randy mentioned that it hadn't be an emergency broadcast. "That's right, you'd think if they were official they would use the Emergency Broadcast System." She commented before Randy asked about their two expected newcomers.

"I really thought they would have been here by now." She said with a bit of worry. "Your broadcast was only just interrupted a little bit ago." She frowned. "Could be they weren't ready to settled in yet." She mentioned, though she didn't completely believe that theory.

She nodded when Jesse suggest they be prepared for anything. She wasn't one to go anywhere without at least a sidearm within arm's reach, but she knew the others hadn't been quite as well armed yet. Cila had her weapons, and could definitely use them, but they were short range and Dima hated the idea of anything hostile getting close enough to warrant their use.

She nodded again when Jesse suggest she be in charge of their defense. "I have my own guns, but I'd say we see what we have in the local area first, and consolidate everything somewhere that we can get to them easily. We're going to need to take a look at the avenues of approach, figure out one or two that we want to use that will be easily defended, and block off all others. It also wouldn't hurt to set up some sort of motion alert system, and I'd like to have a couple of high vantage points too." Dima rattled off the first few things that came to mind to help make their little section of the world a little more secure. Of course an unfortunate side effect of being secure is that it often ment looking a little less welcoming.

Larcen
Duke

Post by Larcen » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:42 pm

So much for rebuilding a utopia. Jesse sighed, rubbing the top of his muzzle. "Here I thought we'd be able to rebuild society, as Rush said, 'closer to the heart.' Now we're cordoning off an entire town, setting up defenses. Might as well go find a missile silo and cart a nuke out here, so nobody thinks to mess with us," he lamented sarcastically.

Cila's ears turned down. She reached out and rested a claw on Jesse's shoulder to reassure him. "Nu. Ve are simply making sure ve are safe. There is already another civilization, apparently, and if they are deciding to try and sound legitimate--even if they are failing--then it is a cinch to think that they are going to view everyvun they cannot assimilate as a threat. They are Edvinish, and the Edvinish vay of thought suggeshts that all of Edvin belongs to whoever is in charge, yes?"

"Never thoughta it that way," Randy pondered, "But yeah, pretty much. We was just tryin'a set up our own li'l patch o' heaven, but if you get someone with a big enough ego thinks he's the Second Comin'--uh, sorry, Jesse, Iunno if that offends you or nothin'--"

"None taken. I know what you mean though. Find a sociopath with the right charisma, and you've got a dictatorship that controls all unclaimed territory. All right. Dima, this is your project. Lead on, general," he deferred. Dima had been promoted, as pretty much the only soldier in Brother Jesse's Armed Forces.

"There is a shporting goods shtore nearby, yes?" Cila asked. Jesse nodded, but his head tilted. She clarified, "I am ashking because vhile I cannot fire a gun, a bow is not out of the qveshtion. I vould like to be able to dishpatch anyvun before they get vithin range, obvioushly."

"Yeah, they put one in the mall--er, North Hamilton Mall. East thataway; you'll run right into it about nine miles."

"And how about army surplus?"

"Other way, west, five miles."

"Dima, dahling, vhile the men do the vork of fortifying defenses and tinkering vith their electronic gizmos, shall ve do a bit of shopping?" the bat winked.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." --Groucho Marx

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:14 pm

Dima gave Jesse a look filled with saddness for the death of a dream that she had already known never had a true chance. "I'm sorry Jesse, but I don't believe a true utopia will ever be possible, just the nature of some furs doesn't allow for it." She said quietly. "I think the best we can hope for is to carve out a little space for ourselves, and those that have heard, and believe in your message."

She nodded at Cila's perspective on the situation. She couldn't help but agree with the thoughts Randy and Jesse put together as well. "Just because we want to protect what we have doesn't mean we can't continue to bring like minded furs in and grow what we have." she commented.

Dima wasn't too sure she liked bing called general, but she accepted her new role, at least for the time being. "All right, It's going to take a bit of work to get the place secured, but I think we can get it done in time." She commented before Cila asked about nearby sporting goods stores. She hesitated for a moment when Cila asked if she wanted to go shopping. She didn't like the idea of Randy doing any major physical exertion as early into his recovery as he was. "We can make a quick trip, but I should probably definitely help with the fortification when we get back." She replied before giving Randy an apologetic look that said she didn't actually expect him to do the fortifying by himself.

Larcen
Duke

Post by Larcen » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:57 pm

It made Randy chuckle a bit to see Dima care so much about him. "Don't worry, I'll make the coyote do all the work. Go get some retail therapy, honey. And take a flashlight, it's kinda dark."

Jesse snickered. "Fine then, you can do all the planning and I'll stick to sending out messages of goodwill," he returned.

Randy put a paw to his chin and plotted. "All we'd really need is some kinda heavy equipment and a used car dealership. Heck I'd settle for a junkyard," he explained, and Jesse's ears perked up.

"Wall of cars, huh? Turn 'em on their side so they can't climb through the windows, then build from there. Well shoot, there's one just south of here, 'bout half a mile. Got the parts for my Gremlin from there once. They'll have a heavy forklift to move the cars around," Jesse offered.

"Exactly! Then some sheet metal and a welder's all we really need." Now the stereotype went that raccoons could be downright devious when in possession of big machines and power tools. Randy was the poster ringtail for this stereotype.

"The old storage units behind the car wash? I helped tear one down to make my garage before the...you know."

"Bingo!" The boys bumped paws.

"Vell, this vas easy. Now ve vomen have to go do the hard vork of gathering supplies vhile you men pat yourselves on the backs and sit around to vait for daylight. Hmph!" Cila teased. Jesse stuck his tongue out and put his headset back on while Randy laughed.

Out in the parking lot, Cila fired up Brunhilda again and dialed in Jesse's broadcast as fine-tuned as she could. "Your choice for the firsht shtop, dahling. Army soorplus or shporting goods?" As she put the familiar old boat in gear, "Brother" Jesse's voice came out again, smooth as fresh-milked cream and twice as warm.

"Well friends in Radioland, I am de-lighted to hear that we're not alone out here on the airwaves. Though I must say, I am a mite concerned. Federal Communications Commission or no, we here in bea-utiful Bonneauville mean no harm to our neighbors in Los Andales, whatsoever. I daresay we're worlds apart, both geographically, climatologically--is that a word, Randy? He's shrugging too--and demographically. It's always been my intention to form a brotherhood of sorts, or at least agree to live and let live. So long as it's peaceable, our town council would extend a welcome to any and all delegations from the LA area, biscuits, sun tea, and all. Now, in offering the proverbial olive branch, here's a classic from a band I'm sure you'll Guess Who, entitled 'Share the Land,' and I hope we can, friends all across the continent."

Cila swooned as she pulled out of the parking lot. "Vai, Dima, dahling, I tell you, after today, now I can undershtand vhy my hyena friend married a coyote," she churred.