Coronation in Maze

Once one of the weakest nations of Feila, ruled and predominately populated by the Rodents. Recently, it has recovered from a famine and Civil War, leaving it governed by a duumvirate of King and Tribune. While still economically disadvantaged, its technology is surprisingly advanced, and it is primed to take a larger place on the world stage. Similar to Earth's medieval Spain.
RabidFox
The Great Fox
The Great Fox

Re: Coronation in Maze

Post by RabidFox »

Lucas noticed the ferret begin to talk to him. He turned his attention to the stranger. The man spoke in a language that he could understand and so Lucas was relieved to be able to communicate. He was not sure at all what kind of people were beyond his usual domain. Normally, only the Grand Elders got to explore the world. It was a rite of passage for them. Lucas, however, was still not considered old enough to join their ranks, of course. One had to be very, very old to walk by their side.

"I am the Order." Lucas replied, trying to regain his composure. "I hail from the western provinces of Piriqui. Who might you be? I wasn't informed that there would be ferrets here. Hopefully, you're not another Edwinish representative."

Lucas wasn't sure what to say, despite that he had been travelling for months now. It was just not natural to him to adapt to places and people outside of his homeland. He did not know how to wrap around their language and their culture. He didn't understand it even when he succeeded at conversation. It was something that the Grand Elders were far more accustomed to. His people lived for thousands of years, so there was no reason that at least some of them could experience the world without worrying about having a short life. One day, he knew, he would finally get to see all the many places that he had only imagined in his dreams. That day he would walk with the elders, but until then he was simply their "King".

Sponsor

arSyx
Assassin
Assassin

Post by arSyx »

Arneo had barely gotten a moment's peace before more had come up. When the ferret proposed the meeting, Arneo thought to himself that it was probably a good idea. The king was about to respond until he saw the paladin mutter something to him. He didn't hear any of it but he assumed it might take up some of Miles' time.
"Unless you've something to attend to first. In the meantime, Caius? Could you get word of this to the other nobles and ambassadors? One or two from the Tribune as well, if you would," Arneo relayed to his adviser, who appeared satisfied Catalina had accepted. Hearing this, he gave a small bow and went to inform and gather up those who would be meeting soon.

Arneo anxiously leaned back, giving a long exhale, taking a breather until he noticed that Miles and the paladin appeared to be waiting on him. Oh, him too? Arneo couldn't help but notice the ongoing exchange between Miles and the one from before who called himself Lucas. He remembered being bewildered when he first saw the skin avian, but after recent events, the shock had significantly lessened. The feathered one looked pretty shaken up before, and the new king would feel bad to just leave him after he'd already made an introduction. Another chance to try and fit into this kingly attitude he was trying out.

"Well met, Order Lucas. Whatever it is that needs discussed, I'm sure it's nothing to keep from our friend here, right?" Arneo inserted himself into the discussion, keeping his voice down as the paladin had.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx

Post by Rackenhammer »

"Protective custody" was a rather loose term, but you had to admit, it offered the recipient much more leverage than, say, "summary execution." Or, at least, so Ngame hoped. The second-in-command of the avian ninja squadron had given his name when the guard asked it, and so it was written down by the orderly who admitted them to the dungeon. It seemed to have been recently cleaned and swept, possibly for the inspection of the new King.

The interrogation was coming shortly, he knew, and his mind was scrambling with how to deal with it. If he actually stated the whole truth outright, he might survive his capture, but probably not revenge by the exposed employer. Even if he did, he would certainly never get good work again in this line of business. His honor did not forbid lying, but he doubted that he could get away with lying to the succubus. The ferret would be a dicey proposition as well. But, if it were just another guard... *Maybe, just maybe, we can still come out on top.*

~

Meanwhile, in the Upper rooms, Miles was finally taking advantage of the opportunity to acquaint himself with the avian order. "My name and title is Lord Miles von Welxar; and I hail from the Western Provinces of Gawain. Wexlar-Mecklenburg to be exact, hence the name. I am here to represent King Gregor of Gawain, who, regretfully, cannot pay a visit of state this year." In point of fact, it was hardly customary for Monarchs to show up at each other's coronations, though it wasn't unheard of either. A visit of state amounted to a vote of confidence in the new regime, and Gregor was habitually cautious about handing those out.

That was, in fact, probably going to be one of the issues on the table for the Royal conference, though having Lucas and Catalina present meant that the agenda would have to build in flexibility; it was just too good of an opportunity to pass up... except that the tigress seemed to want to. "Excuse me, but could someone please send a messenger to her, making it clear that I should welcome her presence at the conference table? Thank you. Yes, did you have something for me?" Miles turned to face the lion after sending off the messenger.
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

RabidFox
The Great Fox
The Great Fox

Post by RabidFox »

"So you're a noble?" Ventured Lucas. "I have talked to a few nobles in my time."

Hence he was a little nervous. Or maybe more than a little. Lucas didn't like it when people could see his weaknesses. But then this ferret was without a tribal community. He lived in some kind of civilization that Lucas could not understand. Therefore Lucas was pretty sure that he could act any way that he liked and the ferret would not notice.

"Ah, yes, Gawain." Lucas remembered. "That means that you're, well, of course you are a ferret. I just thought that no one from Gawain was expected to attend. I take it that your King isn't here? I know that I heard something about at least someone from Gawain not attending."

Then Lucas was approached by another man. And this, of course, made him even more anxious. As stated before, Lucas had rarely been outside of Piriqui.

People kept calling him "Order Lucas". He understood why, since they did that with their own kings, but that was really not the right way to greet him. Oh well, thought Lucas. It wasn't that big of a deal, as long as the Grand Elders didn't catch him being neglectful to mention that.

"Yes, certainly." Agreed Lucas, rushing into the conversation. "I am... I, uh... Heh heh." Lucas made a small show of laughter, feeling pinned in. "Whatever that needs to be discussed, yes, I know. That is a... that is something we have to address. Heh heh." He laughed again, thinking to himself that he must sound like a complete idiot. "Excuse my inexperience, but I have rarely met with a monarch or his servant. There are some issues that the Grand Elders wish to go over, however. There is a problem in the settlements located on the shores. That would be where we would begin. Settlers are trying to cut down more and more of our natural forests and have been very hostile to any natives. We are actually at the point of outright fear, which has been controlling and limiting our actions. Our people live very long lives. It would be a huge impact to our societies if the concept of death entered them.

"I know that we might not seem the gentlest of people, but we really do avoid war as much as possible. And when the tribes do skirmish with each other, we never allow anyone to be murdered. It wouldn't make any sense. Being from a very old culture, I was raised to find death as being absolutely and utterly incomprehensible. We prefer to die from old age." Lucas made a strange smile then. "However, I am still very unfamiliar with the youth of other species. At least, the ones that do not live within our borders. We do come in peace, though. But, part of our reason for being here, is to renew the pact of non-violence between Maze and Piriqui. And then, after that, we do require some foreign assistance in controlling the behaviour of the settlers. It really has become very out of control."

Lucas thought it best to stop talking at that point. He sure hoped that he didn't launch into politics too soon, but the anxiety was getting to him and he didn't know what else he could manage to say.

arSyx
Assassin
Assassin

Post by arSyx »

When Lucas had become visibly nervous, Arneo backed off a bit, a little surprised all things considered. He hadn't expected Lucas to be so... well, about as comfortable with social settings as he himself was. In fact, as the feathered humanoid continued to speak, he was starting to realize that his first impression of their kind was pretty far from the truth. He hadn't quite expected to be getting into the issues straight away, however, the words 'non-violence pact' were like music to the new king's ears. Arneo certainly wasn't going to turn down the chance to have less enemies in the world.

"That's a reasonable plight. I can't be sure just how much we can help in light of our current situation, but I'm sure we can do something. I would have to speak with my adviser more on the matter," The raccoon said. He was already getting accustomed to using that last sentence.
Almost immediately following this was a swift tap on the shoulder. Arneo looked back and met eyes with Caius.
"Oh, speaking of which, here he is," Arneo greeted the rodent, and noticed a considerable gathering of furs behind his adviser. The look on Caius' face was a serious one.

"It seems to be the consensus that we not delay these talks," Caius explained in a way that almost seemed pained. Judging by some of the discontent faces nearby, it looked like Caius had gotten an earful from some of them. Among the small crowd that was set to meet were some representatives from the Tribune, ambassadors from the other Feilan nations, including the Elders from Piriqui, and of course, a good number of nobles. Those from Edwin looked notably uncomfortable. At least the Kahun diplomats looked a little happier than before, what with seeing the Mazan palace caught unaware so easily.

The king made an effort to assume a better posture as he cleared his throat.
"Right then. Of course, a breach in our security is most certainly an immediate call to convene and should not be delayed even a moment," Arneo tried to cover his apparent mistake.

No response.

He would choose to believe that was for lack of anything to say and not a silent judgment on the king's abilities. MOVING ON.
"My apologies. We'll have to discuss it later," he said quickly to the lion paladin before leading the group through the door to the conference room.
While not as spacious as the throne room, the conference area was more than suited for all in attendance. The long table would seat them with room to spare, with Arneo at the head of it all. Caius had elected to stand next to him, which helped alleviate some of Arneo's worries.
Once everyone had settled, Arneo had realized they were waiting for him to open the floor for discussion out of courtesy. Starting to fold quickly with all the attention turned to him, he spoke up with intent to get their focus elsewhere.

"If you've any concerns or thoughts, feel free to voice them."

Arneo was going to learn quickly that this was an incredibly poor choice of words when dealing with irritated nobles.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

News from Piriqui rarely reached the ducal or royal courts of Gawain; the avian tribes rarely had any autonomous impact on weltpolitiks. Up until now, Miles had not any clear idea as to why; sure, the society was organized loosely into tribes instead of tightly into armies, feudal loyalties, guilds, universities or whatnot, but even so there was a lack of assertiveness that stood out as exceptional. But hearing firsthand from Lucas how the tribes and elders viewed the outside world, and their fear of death, cleared the mystery up for the ferret noble.

"Well, I can't speak for the rest of the world, but here's my own view on the question: facing death is the price one pays for control over one's own destiny. There's many a free fur among us who probably could have added a decade or two to his life, had he been willing to submit to enslavement, whether it be virtual or legal." He shrugged, giving a smile that was as crooked as his own spine. "Of course, for me, risking death is the price I pay for getting up in the morning, so take that as you will."

The ferret's flippancy left aside the fact that he had other furs whose job it was to keep him alive, and they both accompanied him through the crush and tumult of the various delegations into the conference room. Thari acted as a lupine shield to keep his charge from being trampled, with Rulf the healer following in case that proved insufficient.

Once it kicked off, of course, the whole thing developed into a chorus of chaos. The hastily-called conference had not been convened with any formal rules or ritual, and tiresome though such things might be, they had their place and necessity. In situations like this, the day usually belonged to the one who could shout the loudest. Or, in the case of Miles, let out the most piercing high-pitched whistle.

"Gentlefurs!" He called out in the seconds of silence his whistle had bought, clambering up on the table in order to address the crowd eye-to-eye. "May I first suggest, as a point of procedure, that we move from a rectangular to a round table? That will save much jostling and petty arguments over precedence."

RabidFox
The Great Fox
The Great Fox

Post by RabidFox »

Lucas didn't say it, but he felt very offended by the ferret's words. But then the ferret did not understand their point of view. When Lucas said "Long life", he meant by thousands of years. In a society of people that lived so long, of course the concept of death was unheard of. Then Lucas was also over four hundred years old himself. Quite young for a Skin Avian, but it definitely meant something when compared to the short lives of other species.

However, he still didn't respond. The Order felt very uncomfortable in the presence of other races. While he had done this in the past, he was grateful that these kinds of things didn't happen too often. He had barely got through the other times and those times had been very hard on him. Then, to top it off, he wasn't good with speech outside of his own native language. Definitely a problem that he was trying to hide as much as possible.

And then the ferret got up onto a table and started shouting. It made Lucas angry. He didn't like being pushed to the side just because he was different. Or at least, that's how he saw it. The guy could have at least had the decency to give him a better farewell than that. It reminded him of the settlers, always forcing them back, out of the way simply because their culture was afraid of losing a precious member of their societies. The settlers were dominating their land and making it impossible for them to flourish in peace. And this ferret had, had nothing to say to him other than arrogant rambling.

Lucas scoffed, hoping not to draw notice to himself. His eyes were locked on the image of the ferret and his blood was boiling. Lucas had never been good with confrontation. Even the slightest disrespectful remark made him feel like the centre of hell. But he clenched his teeth as hard as he could, preventing himself from exploding.

Catalina Tamiko
King
King
Species: Feline-Tiger/Panther

Post by Catalina Tamiko »

The paladin had followed quietly. He now leaned in the corner. His squire was with the other guests. The lion had to smile. All this political posturing. He felt like a ring master watching his circus troop perform. After a moment he pelted out a loud, trademark roar for his species. He knew that would likely gain a little silence. Once done he came to the table. "Please... my Lords... silence. We already have one demon in our midst. Let us not summon another with our discordant babbling!" Now... that was pretty foolish.

The lion walked the table talking like a professional. And strangely his speech was being translates into everyone's native language. "Now then. Please. We of the Order of Paladins have long watched the affairs of mortals from a distance. We are not proper soldiers as you believe. But a peacekeeper force. We fight an invisible war. Against the demons and angels that seek to use Mortal kind for their own purposes. But in our time we have come to realize... the actions of mortals like us are far more dangerous. Let us not start another war..." coming to an empty chair he sat. His armor clanking softly. He was quiet as he placed his armored paws on the table. "Now.... I see more anger and frustration than i do anything else. Can we please conduct ourselves like proper beings of intelect?"
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

My Cast of critters. (INCOMPLETE) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6514

arSyx
Assassin
Assassin

Post by arSyx »

For the first few moments of the ensuing round of shouting, Arneo was simply at a loss. He gave a look of disbelief to Caius, who merely shrugged as if it wasn't anything he'd not seen before. The inexperienced king sat aghast, not comfortable enough in his power to exercise any authority over the discussion, and so for a little while things continued as they were.

"It's not as if we don't know the ones behind this. One could almost say the cat is out of the bag," a rather jittery looking delegate from Domus chimed in, giving an accusatory glare to the feline across from him, who looked more annoyed by this turn of events than anything. Arneo was about to mention that there was no real proof to conclude either way until something caught his ear.

"...to see this palace so easily intruded upon on the very same day as the new king's coronation is unprecedented! If this is a reflection of the new leadership's competence...!"

Arneo caught a piece of a particularly heated conversation, the words hitting him like ice. That was essentially what he'd been fearing this whole time, put into words. Those words validated the doubts he'd had since that crown fell on his head, and froze him where he sat. He should've been prepared for something like that, but for some reason, overhearing that criticism for the first time struck him hard.

It wasn't until Miles made his move that Arneo's focus was drawn back to their table. There was that... unique way of his again. A couple gave outraged responses to the ferret who had climbed atop the table, while some were just taken aback. Arneo could swear he saw another trying to mimic this, only to be coaxed out it by a subordinate. There was something to be admired about how he seemed to get results, even when at a surface level his actions appeared to be reckless. This comforted Arneo a little.

"We... do have a round table, right?" he muttered to his advisor, who scratched his head in thought before the paladin made his entrance.

Arneo was adequately startled, but the silence that followed gave him a relief like no other. As the lion spoke, Arneo could feel his anxiety rising. He knew this was his chance to take charge, one he was lucky enough to have in the first place, but the word 'incompetent' kept flashing to mind. His heartbeat picked up as the lion neared the end of his little speech. He'd made the choice to take initiative when they were under attack, so why did this feel so much harder to do?

"An excellent point!" Arneo exclaimed, making sure he'd be loud enough to be heard and to shut out any other attempts to take over the meeting, perhaps a little too loudly given everything had been quiet and he was the first and only one to speak after that. A short pause, and a few concerned looks later, Arneo continued. Unable to think of how to start the real discussion, he addressed the first thing that came to his mind that Miles had brought up before.

"Before we proceed any further, and with a show of hands, no words... who among us is unsatisfied with this table?"

In response to what may have been the least important matter at hand, some raised their hands after a moment of uncertainty.
Caius had whispered to him that they did not actually have a round table in the palace and advised a swift change of topic, but it was too late to backtrack now. There was definitely a feeling of 'oh dear what on earth am I doing', but the decision was in motion.

"Right then. Remove it," Arneo clapped twice, and a few guards, looking a little confused at first, followed through with the command. There were surprised murmurs flowing about the conference room as some were forced to re-adjust, most notably those at the opposite end and those actually on the table. It almost sparked another round, but Arneo had racked his brain on how to proceed, taking advantage of the time it took to move the table. Now they would get to the real issue.

"Now then. The fact remains that whether or not we were prepared for such an event, we have been attacked. We can only guess as to their targets and their employer based on what we've seen. However, I would like to remind everyone that we cannot definitively prove anything as of yet, and that pointing fingers without reasonable proof may also be part of this attacks' intent. and we plan to keep the assailants under Mazan custody until we can determine all we possibly can. However, I am open to deliberation on this matter, and if anyone, would like the floor for discussion, they may speak now. One. At a time."

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

As much as Miles disliked leaving bad impressions behind him, he often moved too fast to repair any that did arise. It was a pity, in the ferret's mind, that Lucas was not engaging more in the point of view offered, especially since he was the one to ask for it, but what could he expect Miles to do? Persuade King Gregor to spend Gawainian blood and treasure to expel Edwinian settlers from Piriqui? He could probably do that, but what would the result be? In five years, the order would be asking the Domusian emissary for help with the Gawainian settlers.

*Blut ist die Hommage an das Vaterland schuldig/Blood is the tribute owed to the Fatherland* The statement was often quoted by foreigners to show how bloodthirsty and barbaric the mustelid kingdom was, but for all that it was true. Nations were things for which furs would die. If they were not willing to die for it, it would not be. Maze was weak, perhaps, but it had survived because its people knew this truth, and Miles had a deep respect for the rodents because of that. As for the birds... well, they would learn the hard way.

As the noble's respect for Maze, and by extension it's King, Arneo, the bustle of the negotation chamber was hardly going to dent it. In point of fact, he generally preferred it when meetings went this way, it was a place for him to shine. Hence, he joined in the unanimity of annoyance when the Lion Paladin spoke his piece. The feline had at least created one point of consensus among the furs gathered; to wit, that he was a sanctimonious prig. Quite a few delegates, not unjustly, felt offended at being equated with the powers of hell. One or two even attempted wisecracks, such as when the lion reuested that their babbling not summon another demon, "Let them talk! I haven't seen my wife in months!"

The general laughter left a gap for Arneo to get rid of the table, which made the hubbub more confused than angry, plain bewildered at the turn of events. Miles had long since abandoned the table for the higher platform of his bodyguard's shoulders. It made him look more childlike, but his voice was of a mature and confident adult, and so carried forth over the crowd, "Here, Here! The King talks sense. And in any case, King Gavin of Edwin is hardly the sort to attack his fellow monarchs so under-handedly. My own liege would be the first target if he were!"

RabidFox
The Great Fox
The Great Fox

Post by RabidFox »

Lucas had never understood politics outside of Piriqui. It was not something that Skin Avian discussed. They were normally only topics that involved his fellow tribes. Today, he was learning something new: Young people had very aggressive opinions. It seemed like all they wanted to do was throw away lives. Pride this and pride that. That was all that it sounded like to him. Why in the world someone would want to die before they had lived a full and happy life was a complete mystery to Lucas. He was also starting to get the notion that there was far more prejudice in the air than he had originally prepared himself for. Not uncommon in the direction of his race, but something he had not had to deal with since the settlers came.

Right now, it seemed like everyone was just holding back their opinions to talk about the recent attack. Lucas found it downright suspicious. Birds attacking Maze the moment Lucas entered the scene... it was unnerving. Very disturbing indeed. But, alas, Lucas was not permitted to fight. The Grand Elders had completely and utterly forbid it. If any of them fought, it was only permissible for the older ones. Younger Skin Avian were required to stay out of the way. Travelling outside of Piriqui, he had been told again and again, was extremely dangerous and if anyone actually managed to die, it was preferable that it be a very old man that had already had a very full life. In other words, not Lucas.

The young Order tried to do whatever he was supposed to do. But what that was, Lucas had little idea. Having had very little to do with the outside world, the wiser, more travelled men were far better at figuring out their way around. The Grand Elders had not gotten their name without a lot of years behind their backs. Something that sometimes got on Lucas' nerves. There were times that Lucas just wanted to do things his way, and there was always—Always!—some bastard getting in the way.

Therefore, all Lucas could do was submit. He tried to follow the crowd as much as possible, eyeing the others and trying to memorize their stances and use of words. It was very beyond him, but he was trying all his best. The journey had taken its toll on him, but now that he was at their destination and home should be around the corner, Lucas felt much better and relaxed. He would try not to let the traditions of younger creatures get to him—At least too much anyway.

Catalina Tamiko
King
King
Species: Feline-Tiger/Panther

Post by Catalina Tamiko »

The scrape of metal against scabbard echoed off the walls. The lion looked around. He hadnt drawn a weapon. And it disnt appear any of those present had either. Catalina moved from the shadows. She was silent as she moved to the table. Laying a very beautiful sword on it she sat in a chair. Silence was her reply to the lions Questioning stare. "Shall i slaughter them now... or after they bicker further?" "That is most improper princess." The lion said. She merely shrugged. Her dress glittering softly.

She let her eyes rove the group. After a moment she spoke softly. "I do not deem it nessicary to speak to summon one of my kind. All you have to do is desire it. Your pathetic mages and rituals can scarecly imagine what true powers we can unleash. Now this said... would you like a mediator, to ensure this goes fairly? I ask a simple price... as all demons perform deals... and once bound you cant lie to me. To each other yes... but not to me. My price... is simple. I want you all to speak respectfully... and The Paladin was right. Your indecent bickering and war monguring summoned a demon. I cant focus on the burial rites for my husband while you heathen savages skulk and jitter at each other like ferrets bicking over a mate." Her last phrase aimed at the ferret present. "Of course i can just curse you all with misery and misfortune while i take his body home to Edwin for a decent and proper burial. Not a worthless one full of the same idiotical rites your people have long sense forgotten. But a proper burial befitting a man of his status."

The paladin laughed at her. "Bound by blood. You cant harm them." "You would be surprised what i can do. They all have family... loved ones..." "Enough posturing Catalina... we all know you are suffering. you do not have to take out yoyr rage on innocent creatures." She fell silent before looked at the King. "Keep the blade. A gift. I forged it myself. That blade will never dull, never rust, and never fail to cleave your enemy in half..." and with that she sat back as her eyes dimmed. The Paladin had an I told you so look as he glared at the others. "Civil behavior... lest we sore test her dire threats. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned... and that... is a woman beyond scorned..."
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

My Cast of critters. (INCOMPLETE) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6514

arSyx
Assassin
Assassin

Post by arSyx »

When Miles had mentioned that Gawain probably had no part, the king became conscious of the fact that he had not even considered the notion. Sure, it was very likely that this was true, however, Arneo was beginning to realize that he was quick to trust. Miles was of great help today, but the new king had to remember that while keeping friends was ideal, it was just as important to be skeptical of anyone and everyone; all motives should be suspect. Awareness of this or not, such thinking was something he was not used to. This politics stuff was hard...

In the meantime, the conversation had deepened considerably. Despite the earlier hubbub, things were now getting serious. There were still quite a number of accusations toward Edwin, which were promptly spoken against by the Edwinian ambassadors, but things were kept relatively civil. A fact that had not escaped Caius' notice, having made it a point to know all the important names in Feila and at least something about them, was that all of the Edwinian ambassadors present governed over areas in Edwin that would almost classify as outliers. There was a time and place for stating such facts aloud, though, and it would probably be in a more private discussion with those that could be identified as allies. For now the adviser remained silent, as did some of the more savvy nobles who surely knew the same information as he, and let the talks continue.

"...I will say this, however. Since there are signs indicating that the delegates from Piriqui may have been the intended target, I will be tightening security for our Piriquan visitors for the duration of their stay," Arneo had managed to get out at some point, giving a small reassuring nod to his recent acquaintance Lucas, who may or may not have noticed it. He could relate to the order's situation, as far as he knew. They both seemed to have been thrust into matters more complicated than they knew.

The room had fallen gravely silent when the sound of a weapon being unsheathed could be heard from within the hall. Shocked murmurs and the sound of chairs scooting back soon followed when Catalina appeared from the shadows. The threats issued gave the room a deathly serious air. Many in the room looked as if they wanted to say something in retort, but held back for fear of the supernatural being that was now among them. There was a period of complete quietness, but when it was certain that Catalina had no more words to offer, the discussions resumed.

Arneo marveled at the sword on the table, having never really seen a sword of this caliber. The metal of the blade had an unnatural sheen that suggested her words regarding its quality were true. He scratched his head, in disbelief that something of such value would be given to him. Oh, right, king..
"I... Thank you, Princess. I'm sure I will find someone who can use it well," The king thanked Catalina as the others spoke. The way he saw it, a blade of such artistry was wasted on someone like him who'd never even swung a sword before, though it did make him think back on the very little amount of archery he'd practiced growing up. He remembered his joy at having actually hit the target's outer ring after numerous tries. Still, the blade would be better to save as a reward for a great Mazan knight, or something of the like.

He was about ready to dive back in, but it seemed a guard-? No, someone a bit more important looking, Arneo guessed, approached. A captain, was it? He would have to become familiar with the differences in armor. The rodent appeared as if his task was something rather menial, as if humoring the idea, clutching a rolled up cloth.

"My humblest apologies, your majesty. Nothing of too much consequence here. One of the recently captured prisoners gave an outrageous request, seeking an audience with you. Seemed a little touched in the head, spouting something about you knowing what this may be. If such is your desire, we can try to pry the information from him," the high ranking rodent spoke softly as he handed Arneo the rolled up cloth, awaiting command.

Curiously, the raccoon unfurled the cloth. The charcoal etching on the cloth nearly made his heart stop. In somewhat of a subdued panic, he closed it immediately and placed in a fold of his robe.

"I will speak with the prisoner personally," he muttered as low as he could, trying to keep a calm appearance.

"Your majesty?" The rodent captain was quite unprepared for this response.

Caius had been watching this little exchange, and raised an eyebrow. "This would be unwise," he said flatly, forgoing any formality.

"You will moderate this discussion while I am away," Arneo ordered.

As the nobles continued to carry on as normal, Arneo gestured for guards to follow as he skirted the edge of the room and exited the conference chamber. A few gave confused looks, but otherwise, the meeting continued as normal.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

From his high vantage point atop his bodyguard, the diminutive ferret could survey the whole social landscape of the meeting room, which was beginning to smooth out in its topography. The groups had reformed, each coalescing around a local faction leader with little mixing, but with no time wasted for posturing either. Of course, the lack of procedure meant that everyone was talking over everyone else still, except for the avian faction, which wasn't talking at all. Odd, that. Would it be a good idea to draw them out?

An offer for mediation was extended by Catalina, though Miles took mock offense at her slightly speciest metaphor. "Speaking as a representative of mustelids, madam, I can attest that I have never skulked or jittered over a mate." *Longed, made a fool of myself, cried to sleep, yes, but no skulking or jittering. I don't do things tremulously.* There was no fear in the Gawainian's eyes, though his posse exchanged many nervous looks between him and the succubus. All his life, luck, laughter, and audacity had been the sustainers of his existence; the security against which he borrowed time. Dark magic and curses had surrounded his very birth, and shaped his body into the utter mess that it was. There was simply no fear for his life left in him anymore, which could make him, on occasion, both extremely fun and extremely dangerous to be around...

Oh, speaking of which, it looked like the ninjas were about to confess. "May I congratulate your guards on their quick work, your majesty?" He threw off casually, as a kind of reassurance to those guests who felt that Maze was too soft on violators of its hospitality. Miles knew from experience that those who tested the rodents in this manner invariably regretted it, but it was best to not have to prove it by firsthand evidence.
In any case, Arneo was able to leave unmolested, and the meeting began to crystallize into a semblance of order. Perhaps the piercing gaze of the tigress did it. In any case, Miles was the first to address Caius with a definite petition. "I think the first matter we ought to bring forward is the matter of alliance obligations from the late war. Many promises were extended by both the Crown and the Tribune to our allies, and now that peace has returned, I should like to have those claims backed up. The first, I believe, was extended by Senora Galvarez to the avians. That is what you have come to press, Order Lucas? It is only fair that we keep our promises on our side, as your people have kept yours."

~

Meanwhile, as Arneo entered the dungeon, he would have seen the ninja lieutenant look back at him. The bird no longer looked particularly nervous. The fact that he'd gotten the king himself on call probably did a lot to steady him, a reassurance that he had not lost total control of the situation. "Hehe, got my message, didya?"

RabidFox
The Great Fox
The Great Fox

Post by RabidFox »

Almost as quickly as the Skin Avian had been noticed that they finally re-entered the fray. All of them except Lucas that was. He was getting left behind. Scurrying to keep up with the others, he suddenly felt like a huge idiot again. Why was he always getting in the way? Unable to do his job even half right, this was usually not the Lucas that everybody saw. This was a dwarfed image of his typical arrogant and "flawless" behaviour. In Piriqui, he was always ready for politics.

The best he could do was at least try to keep on top of things.

One person he was definitely having no trouble noticing was the giant succubus. He had no idea what she was talking about at all, except for, at some point, she mentioned a dead husband. If the female of the species was so large and intimidating, surely a male would be unbearable? While he had the instinct to feel bad for her, Lucas was having difficulty just fathoming her presence. Why was she here? Who was she working for? Was there some kind of demon realm beyond his own world? He had never seen her type before.

Then Miles started going on about things of necessity and Lucas found himself watching him again. The Order thought that he had found the Skin Avian to be cowards? Now Miles was wanting to discuss their safety? How bipolar. Lucas twisted his face up in curiosity.

"Yes, that is why we have come." Lucas found words instantly where there had been none before. "The tribes of Piriqui have always abided by the wishes of Maze and the other nations. I understand that you have trouble grasping our need for survival, but I don't understand why a relatively peaceful society should be shunned simply because they despise anything more than the mere skirmish.

"No, we do not like war. Why should we? Our people are the oldest living creatures in this world. Alone with us, we are the keepers of history itself. Instead of reading a book, one can just talk to any of our elders. They are so old, they have seen more than just Piriqui. They have seen the development of the world.

"I know that I may not look like it, but I actually am pretty good with a scythe." Lucas smiled, strangely. "However, I abstain from using it to kill, as long as it's not my food."

Suddenly, Lucas realized that King Arneo had left. A scrap of conversation revealed that he was most likely dealing with the Beaked Ones from before. Lucas saw it as a bad omen and was concerned about the Mazan King. Hopefully, he would not find himself in a trap? There was definitely something suspicious going on.