Welcome to the World of Feila!

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

Coronation in Maze

Once one of the weakest nations of Feila, ruled and predominately populated by the Rodents. Recently, it has recovered from a famine and Civil War, leaving it governed by a duumvirate of King and Tribune. While still economically disadvantaged, its technology is surprisingly advanced, and it is primed to take a larger place on the world stage. Similar to Earth's medieval Spain.
Catalina Tamiko
King
Species: Feline-Tiger/Panther

Re: Coronation in Maze

Post by Catalina Tamiko » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:48 pm

Catalina looked at lucas. She was silent as she quietly watched him. After a moment she spoke. "You seek protection from them?" She motioned around to the end of the table where thr king had been. She spoke slowly. "My kind lived her long before any of your people. You should know.... my family lives across the world. I was Born in Gawain. I lived in Edwin. Mysister has lived in what you call Piriqui for thousands od years. My brother has lived in Yamaha far longer. My uncle lives here in Maze...." she looked back at the ceiling.

After a moment she slipped into an older Piriqui dialect. "You are young yet. You still have so much to learn. Even your elders. Just know this... there are those here that dont have your best interest in mind."

The lion knew what game she was playing. He looked at the Gawainian group. He had a look of 'watch your back'. Then he looked back at the rest. "It seems we all have a vested interest here. Our Island is set not but a few miles from the Mazian coast. It is the nearest land we can trade with. Maze ows promises to other nations. And a debt to Princess Catalina. Though i doubt thats a debt any nation can afford." Catalina was silent long enough to gather her thoughts. "Many people owe me a debt. Most I wont be collecting on."
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

My Cast of critters. (INCOMPLETE) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6514

Sponsor

arSyx
Assassin

Post by arSyx » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:57 am

Caius had been left bewildered when the king hurried off. Present events were bad enough as it was without adding another layer of mystery to the mix. However, the adviser would waste no time worrying when there were things to be done.

The rodent steeled himself as Miles brought up the matter of Maze's promises. This was a delicate matter to speak on because there was such a thin line for him to tread upon. The fact of the matter was that at this moment, Maze was broken. Granted, the pieces were coming back together, but even returning to their former status only meant they were again the weakest of Feila's nations. Caius took pride in his country, but he knew its limitations. Handling these obligations would prove difficult. They would have to keep their promises to maintain a spot on world affairs, but committing too much would cripple them, if they could even manage to give any significant contribution to begin with. As much as he found himself bothered by Catalina asking if Lucas was really seeking help from them, he couldn't deny its validity.

"And you can be at peace to know that we have every intent to leave no promise unfulfilled. The Crown and Tribune are both united on this stance," Caius opened strong, speaking after Lucas was done. "To the best of our ability, we will aid Piriqui, that much is certain. There is still the matter of allocating an exact amount of resources to the endeavor, but all things take time, as I'm sure you are aware."

Caius had worded this a little generously. The real issue wasn't figuring out how much they could give for this effort, but if they could spare anything for it. A politician's answer, but such was to be expected.

"We will try to recognize your wishes, but we cannot promise that Piriqui will be entirely undisturbed by this," Caius added in, cautioning Lucas and the other Piriqui delegates. "Once action is taken, it can't be undone. We can promise assistance, but we cannot promise that what comes next will lead to peace in your lands..."

The rodent didn't want to outright say that they should be prepared to fight, in fact, he truly and genuinely admired the respect for life that they all seemed to share, but it would be a terrible thing to not warn against the possible inevitability of it. Much as they had an obligation, and as much as they may be sympathetic to their plight, Maze would hold its own survival as the top priority.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was made a point that Arneo know the rooms of the palace and its layout. It was usually not an issue for the typical royal, who would have grown up in this place, but Arneo was obviously a different case. That said, he had still never been to the dungeon himself until now, and he had to admit, it was precisely as uninviting as he imagined it to be.

The bars between him and the numerous occupants did nothing to stave off his fear of their watchful and patient gaze. The guards were watching near the end of the corridor, but they stood out of earshot at his own request. He was safe, but this was a loose usage of the word. Only when he reached their leader, who had spoken up to him, did he find his bearings. Arneo wasted no time in his reply, mostly because he didn't want to stay any longer than was necessary.

"How do you know about this?" Arneo went straight to the point, pointing to the etching presumably made by the very bird lieutenant he was questioning.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx

Post by Rackenhammer » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:24 pm

Miles felt himself fully capable of looking after his own and his country's interests, but he did not take offense from the lion's warning glance. The game was being played on multiple planes now; the politics of the mortal nations were on the horizontal axis, while gods, clergy, and demons contended upon the vertical. And at the end of the day, one played not to win, but to ensure that one could keep playing.

*Forward Momentum.* That was the key thought that guided the young noble through many a crisis. Move sure and swift where others are still or just milling about, and they will follow you. Lucas was speaking, explaining his position, but not pushing his request. That left room for the ferret to pull. "I can understand your position, and if I may in this place eschew the circumlocutions of diplomacy, I may make our own equally lucid.
"You despise war. But the debts with Maze that you have come to collect were incurred by the sacrifices of your fellow avians, who did not share your revulsion. Nay, they were willing to give time and effort, blood and bone, not even for their land, but for another's, so that by their sacrifice they should win an ally that would aid in ending the enslavement of their fellows. And I must warn you, if you decline to think highly of such things, we ourselves shall have little reason to think highly of you. Certainly not enough to do the same for you; as that is what you are asking; our blood and our bones for your land. I say this as a friend, and one who holds sacred the principle of reciprocity."

The ferret's pace was rapid, but his tone one of gentle exhortation. Nevertheless, he could see the Edwinian delegation fidget and squirm as the word 'enslavement' was mentioned. Edwin happened to be the largest buyer on the slave market, while Gawain hardly had any at all.
Caius was next to speak, and was commendably cautious. Miles had left his rodent allies room to maneuver, but the ball was really in the Avian court, for them to handle or fumble. Maze hardly had much to give, but if they pressed, Gawain would probably back their promises, if only because it would give them leverage over their longtime rival, Edwin.

That left whatever Catalina was planning, though. Miles didn't know quite enough about her stance to predict how the balance would go. Honestly, he wished he had Tansa here, as she was the most familiar of all his retinue in infernal affairs. Rulf probably wished his wife was here too, for different reasons...

~***~

It was hard to smirk with a beak, but the avian lieutenant was showing the king how it was done. "So... the old bird was right about you. Usually is, though blasted if I know how." The cockney accent was no less disturbing for being heard all the more. "Were you the one who signed that contract? Would explain how it took war and pestilence to make you king, hehehe..."
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Rackenhammer's RP Experience "blog"

e-mail: [email protected]

All my characters in their insane length

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:25 pm

In his own land, Lucas was difficult to ruffle. But in the land of another, he felt weak and open to backlash. He tried his best to hide his nervousness, making him feel like all he could do was run away. But he had to be strong for his fellow tribesmen. He had to stand his ground. Among those of his own kind, he knew more than just their language but also how they thought. So, of course, at home, he had no reason to worry—But here it seemed impossible.

"I hate to tell you this, Princess." Lucas couldn't help it. He found her annoying. "But our people do live for thousands of years." Oh, he hoped that he didn't notice the faces of the Grand Elders just then. They would skin him alive sooner or later. But Lucas had a short temper, despite how much he had been trying to control it.

"Miles, I have to be honest with you." Started Lucas, attempting to regain his composure. "I don't understand most of what you just said. I am not trying to be difficult, but it is hard for me, as a tribesman from a far away world, to grasp meaning from peoples that I am not very much aware of. That is all that I mean by that. No hostility intended.

"We really do have a hard time with war, however. But I don't understand why you would think that I would disrespect my own kind. If that is how they choose to live their lives, then that is something that I would always accept, even if I didn't comprehend why. I do not dishonour them what-so-ever.

"Yet... I am very concerned about being misunderstood. Please understand that I am hugely inexperienced when dealing with other countries, especially first hand. You seem to think that I desire militaristic action. No, I really actually don't. I must not have made myself clear, which you may notice from time to time that I am really, really bad at that. I find Edwinish to be a strange puzzle compared to my native language. So excuse my sometimes poor wording and such—I never mean to offend.

"But, yes, back to the matter at hand. No, I don't wish for you to send an army into Piriqui to chase out the settlers. My request is this: Is there somehow that any of you present here today could peacefully cease this problem in my land, with the great destruction of our natural landscape and possible fatal reaction to our pleas. We do fear treating the problem ourselves, because we do not want to start a war that could be easily prevented. That is all that I am requesting: Prevention. Not war. I do not believe that a war would help anything. Only fine words from highly respected individuals and groups. I propose nothing more than some strong language."

One of the Grand Elders suddenly approached Lucas, with an expression of harsh rebuke. In a low voice that others could not hear and in a language that was lost to them, the Grand Elder made sure that Lucas got his point. "If you ever say such a horrible thing to a Princess ever again, I swear to the Gods, I will turn you into a feather duster!"

Lucas then made a very flat expression, trying to contain his embarrassment that could probably be understood simply by the look on his face.

Catalina Tamiko
King

Post by Catalina Tamiko » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:32 am

Catalina had remained silent. Her eyes never leaving the table. But her ears were still moving. taking in each voice as if it were her own. And as she listened, she let her thoughts roll in her head. These people could offer her so very little. That said, there was still a blood price she could demand. Though the order of Paladins would have to pay most of that. Maze could offer her little. Rodents were unsuitable for her training requirements. Their best mages were children to her.

The new king she could lean on. BUt that was almost worthless. Gold and gems? Those came and went too freely. Sacrifices? She was no common demon. Power over a nation? Too much to deal with. What could Maze actually offer her? She relaxed softly. lowering her ears into a folded state. As she sat there she let the noise of their voices fade away. BUt she was still paying enough attention to know what was being said. That said, she was starting to grow irritated by the ferret. If he didnt slow down she would curse him mute. She smirked, thinking of his lips still moving with no voice coming out.

And then her lips curled up she slowly clapped as she looked at the avian leader. "I am impressed." She shook her head still smiling.

The paladin sighed as he leaned into his chair. He seemed tired. Like he had not slept in some time.
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

arSyx
Assassin

Post by arSyx » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:05 am

Caius was almost wanting to simply let the discussions continue and merely observe. Miles had a talent for keeping the ball rolling, and Lucas seemed to have found some courage. It would reflect poorly on Maze, though, to not play an active role in the council they were hosting. The rodent waited for the Elder to finish his aside with Lucas before speaking. Looked like he said something out of line, but seeing as they made no move to interrupt or correct him, it wasn't too serious. Poor fellow looked a touch more pale though.
"Don't misunderstand, Lucas. Conflict is the last thing we desire to come from this," the adviser began. It was the complete truth, too. Maze had seen enough bloodshed to be involved in any more of it.
"However, unless something of equal or greater value is offered, I sincerely doubt that anything will change," Caius stole a glance to the Edwinian delegates as he said this. It was a tough matter to speak on for them. They didn't want to associate Edwin with such things as invasion or enslavement, but they had no power themselves to even make an empty promise on the matter, and the rodent knew this. That's why he ventured such a blunt statement in the first place. Maze didn't have enough of a presence to prompt a better showing from the feline nation. Sending their least important representatives was surely no accident. Even if by some chance there were more influential Edwinian ambassadors here, Caius figured any attempt to resolve the matter would play out something like: "Would Edwin consider withdrawing its efforts to settle Piriqui?"
"Edwin does not endorse the actions of rogue agents, however, we will work towards stricter enforcement."
'Officially speaking', Edwin wasn't involved in these acts, and that's what made the issue a difficult one. The fact that it brought in gold was coincidence, of course. You could probably get them to agree to stricter regulation against the completely unaffiliated agents, but with nothing to show for it, you may as well take the word of a fern. Without any sort of leverage on Edwin, they weren't going to budge an inch. If one could find an irrefutable connection between either the crown or nobility and the settlers... maybe...
But this was not the time and place to present this thought. For now, Caius had an idea of how the rest of this meeting would probably play out.
His eyes would occasionally wander to Catalina, wondering if she were simply watching the usual political proceedings, or if she perhaps had some motives of her own. He could only guess when it came to this one.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a moment, the avian's words had left the king dumbfounded. There were so many startling implications in just that brief bit of dialogue. Arneo felt his blood run cold. It had been only a year and a half since he'd come to terms with the ghastly thing. The nightmares, the fall of what little of his house remained... It was all coming back.

"Contract? What are you on about? I've agreed to nothing of the sort. I didn't come down to waste time with your inane prattle," Arneo snapped. Emotions he hadn't felt for a long time were breaking his composure. The king, barely conscious of the gesture himself, clutched the part of his robe that was directly above where his left arm met his chest. Beneath the cloth was branded the symbol that had been a haunting shadow in his life.

And then there was the whole "to make you king" detail. Arneo had been gripped with doubt ever since he received news of his ascension to the throne, but the thought that he may have somehow obtained it through foul play made him shiver. He was caught in a dangerous situation.
What if it was true? What if someone found out? To be discovered involved in a plot to take the crown would mean certain death, but who could he turn to?
Then again, it could all be lies. Shocking as it was that this stranger knew about his birthmark, he couldn't discount that this bird had his own motives. Still, he had so many questions about the symbol. If he asked about it now though, he'd be putting the lieutenant in a position to gain more leverage.
Arneo decided that he would put it to the test. Maybe he could call the bird's bluff.

"Suppose I walk away right now. What happens then? What reason do I have to believe that you're not making things up to try and slip your way out of here?"

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:25 pm

For a minute or two after Lucas' request, there was a silence in the room. Not a comfortable silence of repose, nor a busy silence of thought, but the flat, embarrassing silence that results when one in a company betrays an indecent degree of ignorance about the world around them.

Miles felt it, and he also could see the sudden sideways looks from all the diplomats. The avian order had strolled, casually and with utter lack of concern, straight into the place where all these fine fellows most wanted to have him. Crafting a fine-sounding document that committed them to nothing, and then exploiting the non-commitment to make a grab at riches they knew would not be defended with any considerable degree of resistance... this was their wheelhouse, their bread and butter.

*Should I even say anything? If this alone will satisfy him, we could be done with our commitments and have one less burden to contend with... although Gregor will not be happy if we leave Edwin unrebuked. Though, I suspect that if it came to sacrificing Gawainian blood and treasure, he'd be more likely to risk them on getting those colonies for himself, rather than an ally with little international credibility, and no desire to defend even his own country by necessary means.*
It was an open question of what might have happened, had the circumstances been even slightly different. It would have been easy for Miles to join in with the rest and craft that document; he could spin words as well as anyfur. But... there was that troubling of the conscience, stoked by the burning eyes of the tigress Princess.

"Well, my friend, if you will be satisfied with that, we have no reason in good conscience to refuse you." The ferret lord addressed Lucas after Caius had said his piece. "I myself will lend what wit I hold in tongue and pen... if you can answer one question to my satisfaction." The green-blue eyes of the Gawainian narrowed, as he peered at the Piriqui delegation from atop his lupine perch. "You said before that you do not get our meanings. Why, then, do you desire our words? Do you ask for the body of a helper, without enquiring whether the soul is still within it?"

~***~

If one does not have any cards, nor the face that can obscure that fact, it is unwise to call bluffs. The cockney ninja had seen Arneo's face, and knew that he had hit home. Had he teeth in his beak, no doubt he would have grinned. "Eeehhhh... you can leave... yes, you can leave, and wot'll 'appen... is wot'll 'appen. Don't need me to tell ya that, guv."

The bird winked, knowing now that he had the king. Of course, his own hand was perhaps less than he should like, but he had a few good cards to slip out now that they were at the table. "Some contract's ain't jes fer loif, roight? Reckon tha's wot yer pa left ya, aye? Hm, well, dunno how you've had it late, guv'nor, but maybe you was due this... yeah. Maybe nuttin' bad's gonna happen, now that you got that new shoiny 'at. Maybe you ain't got nothin' to worry about, and'll just turn around to leave the loiks of us to rot 'ere. Maybe."

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Lucas was having the hardest time. It was a great struggle to him to be in the presence of experienced officials, young or old. The Skin Avian felt very trapped, stuck out in the open where he did not want to be. But, alas, the Grand Elders had required him to be the one that took the stage. Apparently, they felt that they could handle matters themselves if Lucas failed. Behind the scenes of course. Out of reach of all the "confetti throwers".

There was a tight knot in his throat. Oh so without any help at all. He felt like he had already lost the battle and that he would become the laughing stock that could not win the war. He had so much to learn and even his own temperament was betraying him. How would he succeed on his own? What did he have to say? How could he figure out the words? The right ones, the right words. Damn it.

"When I said 'meanings', I meant this language that I am talking in." Explained Lucas, trying not to show any fear. He almost looked angry if anything. "I kinda feel like you are not understanding me. I don't mean something so simple as nothing at all. I don't understand why the word 'war' has to be in it to be of any value to our troubling position.

"Like I said, I am not good at words when it comes to this foreign language. Why must you talk as if I absolutely must convey myself in a certain way? Why are you turning this discussion of politics into a battle in and of itself? You sound like you would like nothing more than to see me fail and I do not appreciate the look on your face that lowers me and the rest of my species to meaningless tribal people. Certainly, you can find some value in my species?"

Lucas did not know what the Grand Elders would say about his most recent attempt at dialogue. Hopefully, it was not at a loss. Right now, he was trying his hardest to do as he was told. Unlike his silly, little comment earlier about the Princess.

"You want to know what we have to offer in exchange? How about peace? I would hate to see what the tribes would do if there was actually a war. The settlers in our lands would probably be exterminated. I am not saying that I want this, however. I do not want a war. I want peace. You seem to think that we have no backbone. We could fight if we had to, but what will the Edwinish say when their settlers have been killed in a war that you could have so easily prevented? And why must people die to reach a conclusion on this matter? Do you raise your own children to throw their lives away so easily?

"That is my point." Asserted Lucas.

Catalina Tamiko
King

Post by Catalina Tamiko » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:05 am

Catalina stood slowly. As she moved to a wall she spoke softly in Piriqui language. "You wont have to worry about peace. Let others fight for you." When she was done speaking it becane apparant that she was usinf a claw to carve into the wall.

An arcane summoning circle. Pressing her paw into she spoke. "Dellia. Come here sister." The runes and markings glowed a moment before the wall rippled. In stepped a near 9' panthress with noticable dragon features. Her eyes flicked over the room before settling on Catalina. "Sister. What ills your temperance?" "I need a favor of you. It seems edwin has an issue controlling its colonies and is taking slaves in your home lands... will you protect the avian mortals there?"

The panthress immediate stepped around her sister. Barbarian, through and through. Fur clothing, basic huting impliments, and her most fearsome features still hidden. Looking toward Lucas and the elders she gave a gentle nod. Then she leaned over the table and glared at the Edwinish representative. "You may want to listen to my friends the avians... my family is older than your ancestors ability to bang to rocks together. If you dont impress upon the king some need to resteain the slave market... i may accidentally take all those colonies as my own slaves..."

Catalina was already looking at Miles. She didnt speak but this game was not new to her. Patience. Patience had won her a small edge. The demands of others without her own desires being shown. Her eyes glowed faintly as she smiled. In perfect Gawainish. "I was born on your lands many ages past. I know much more of your world than you do. Forgotten kingdoms that had greater power and influence than your own. My family is few but friends are many. I have allies among the angels as well..... you would do well to be more lieniant with the least experienced ones among us. Because if you are a master politician.... then im one of its gods...." her tone actually dipped into that demonic level without forcing her smile away.

Taking her seat she glanced at Dellia, whom now stood beside the avians. Her sister would do good for them. They would likely let her be as barbaric as she pleased. In exchange she would help lean on the Edwinish colonies in severly intimidating ways.

The paladin watched silently. Technically... it was a dangerous gambit. If Edwin took it as an act of war.... no the order couldnt technically enter Piriqui until called for. They were not really welcome anywhere. Their survices usually caused colateral damage. But Catalina had tipped her hand a little. She had reinforcements in the wing and waiting. But how many and how powerful? She had one more sibling... but would she be willing to sic her mother on Edwin? That would be.... Maria wasbt so powerful as she was political. She could charm the tail off of a fox painlessly. If she playes that ro Edwin's political circle she could colapse it... in which case Catalina would hansle any Gawain attempt to invade or push a weakened Edwin down. But that also left Devina. A tactician and the ultimate politician of the Tamiko Family. Powerful, seductive, and her very voice was laced with acane energy. He glanced at the others. This was quickly going to become unstable. "Mayhap we of the order could send a deligate to negotiate for the Avians as well? Without the need for demonic oppression. Words between mortals.. without risking the souls of furs that dont know the Piriqui have other worldly allies." He offered. He was hoping to defuse Dellia's temper. She was a force to be reckoned. And equally cruel with her prisoners.

arSyx
Assassin

Post by arSyx » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:37 pm

Caius had been leaning back in his chair, somewhat uncomfortable as the exchange between Miles and Lucas went on. The poor avian was not only unfamiliar with the nature of politics, much unlike the ferret, but the language discrepancy was creating an even greater lack of understanding. He had to admire the Order's courage for staying afloat. Caius remembered the fumbles he had in his early years of playing the game, and for what seemed his first time, Lucas was doing well enough. He didn't feel there was much room to input here. Maze would be agreeing to Piriqui's request regardless, seeing as their obligations led them with little else to choose from. He could hope that others would not exploit the loose agreement being proposed, but there wasn't much in his position that could be done about it.

Once Catalina began to act, however, things had changed. When a second demon had entered their midst, Caius sat upright and shot a concerned look at the paladin in the room. Was this really going to simply be allowed to continue? He had allowed (if you could even call it that) Catalina a place in the palace because he had reason to believe that no one would be harmed, but summoning her kin who were bound by no such restrictions... This was troubling. The rodent wanted to say something, but was he really in any place to make requests or demands?
He hadn't caught what she'd said to the Piriqui delegation, as this was a language he was completely unfamiliar with, but he'd caught a basic understanding of what had been said to Miles. As for the paladin's offer..
"Please," was the adviser's immediate response to the lion.

Caius rubbed his temple, trying to think of how to handle this development. He could not claim to really know much of demons or their machinations. Whatever it was that they were playing, he wanted as little of it involved with them as possible. If the idea were to get out that Maze or Gawain was letting loose demons to advance their agenda, the Civil War will have seemed a minor trouble compared to the consequences that would come of that.
This council meeting was turning out to be much more eventful than he was hoping, for better or worse.
-------------------------------

The king had turned around and taken a few good steps to emphasize his play, but ultimately, the bird's words stopped him cold. Trying to be deceptive with a ninja? Not one of his better ideas. Arneo gave a resigned sigh as he turned back around just in time to see that sly wink from the lieutenant. He folded his arms in annoyance. He was in a bind, and the avian was more than happy to make this fact abundantly clear. It didn't help that they were making no effort at all to mask that telling accent. At this point the ninja was just rubbing it in.

If the raccoon hadn't already made it obvious he knew nothing about the mark, he could try to indirectly get information about it while obscuring his own ignorance on it, but that option had left the table. The best he could do now was question him until he hit the inevitable snag of "Oi could tell ya, guv, but what can yeh do fah me?"
So many questions to ask, but where to start? Best to get the most worrisome one out of the way, and the one he'd be most likely to answer, truthfully or not. He was beginning to be more and more unsettled by the idea that this mark was more than just a mysterious brand. The thought that there was a power present within that was beyond his understanding was enough to make him sweat.

"You said something bad might happen, but that's pretty vague. What kind of bad events are we talking about here?" Arneo began his line of questions.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:31 pm

As Lucas launched into his rather... impassioned reply to Miles' words, that ferret's paw rose to his muzzle. Outwardly a gesture of sudden thought, it was in reality to hide a smile. *Not exactly the reaction I was expecting, but desireable all the same.* He could see the shift in perception happen in the eyes of his fellow delegates; within the space of a few minutes, their assessment of the avian order went from 'easy target' to 'the only thing between us and a rampage of barbaric cannibals'. Which was, when one came to think about it, probably not the impression Lucas desired to leave, but it did raise his standing and respect among the group.

Thus, the offer from Catalina's family was, if anything, overkill. The ferret had to admit, though, the look upon the Edwinian delegate's face when the full import of the situation was made clear upon him was a sight worth two months of seasickness to come and see. It may have been callous of Miles, but he frankly did care much one way or the other how much the Tamikos involved themselves in this dispute; his countrymen were not the ones caught in the crossfire, and it was a blow to the global power and prestige of its main rival. *This couldn't have gone better if I'd planned it.*

Thus, it was with good humor that he received the Tigress' words, and he took the trouble to reply to them after fiddling with his translation pendant to render his words in her native language. "Ah, but to be soft is sometimes to be cruel. Iron sharpens iron, and Lucas is a blade that must be sharpened quick. I have found that you will often get the best out of some furs by offering a kind of resistance to them, and I'm pleased to see that the Order is a quick study. They won't respect him if he appears propped up, either by his own elders, a foreigner, ... or a demon. As for your family having connections, well... so does mine." Here he fingered the talisman that let him talk in Catalina's mother tongue. "Be glad to talk about our mutual friends, actually... but not here. Later, perhaps."

It certainly didn't hurt Miles' own standing in the crowd to see him talk so easily to the succubus, at least in terms of fearful respect. He wasn't sure how many would actively like him for that. In any case, Caius looked as if he were overwhelmed, and desperate for a way out of this morass. The ferret snapped his fingers. "That's it, you've got it! Say we call for a draft resolution now, pledging the signatories support to the principle of sovereign national borders, mediated and monitored jointly by the Templars and House Tamiko. As both are technically international, both may be taken as valid for the position." The proposal was greeted with at least acquiescence, if not enthusiasm, particularly by the Edwinian delegation. Kahun didn't look too pleased either, as it would mean their pledge to respect the borders of Maze, which they had never really taken seriously as an actual country. But with an angry demoness in their presence, now was not the time to press the issue, hence why Miles had called it to a head.

*Strike while the iron is hot... especially if you can get someone to do the heavy lifting.*

~~~

Now this was something that the avian ninja wasn't quite prepared for. True, he'd been briefed as to the general nature of the new King's mark, but specifics had not been forthcoming as to what Arneo's dire fate was to be. Honestly, probably not even the mage who first forged the dark contract knew. It was just what came of attaining power by summoning forces against the good natural order.

Be that as it may, he couldn't see that answer helping his bargaining position much. So, he decided to take a sort of spin tactic. "Eh, well it might be one thing, might be another. I ain't privvy to yer worst fears, gov. But that's what comes o' such, or din't ya know? O' course, if that old witch could get your old man to sign on wivvout tellin'... well, she's a sharp bargainer and you were had, buddy."

RabidFox
The Great Fox
Great Britain

Post by RabidFox » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:56 pm

Lucas was more confused now than ever. Demons were appearing and that strange ferret, Miles, the man never seemed to get enough of drama. Now he was translating his words with a pendant into yet another language that the Order did not understand. Apparently, him and the demons were speaking to each other. Lucas wondered if they had met in the past. The situation between them was lost on him. Not only that, but he had little idea of what the other delegates were whispering about—Might as well have been the language of gibberish.

The Skin Avian was having an immense amount of trouble working himself into the coronation without being received with ill will. From his view point, it didn't seem like he was on the winning side of the issues. Well, for the exception of the demons anyway. They appeared to be friendly to his cause. That was always good.

But the others... Without surprise, old age did help unite the two forces—The Skin Avian and the demons that was. Yet the youthful energy of the lesser lived creatures was really rocking the boat. The young animals surrounding him, each and every one of them pushing for their own causes. What a lot of bickering they did. He had little idea how they sustained their cultures at all with such vibrant fussing. Everything to them was like a cake without frills—Merely a Spartan satisfaction of the more basic necessities. Why did these people always obsess themselves with their need to die all the time? If he wanted respect for throwing himself onto a sword, he might as well just let his nephew impale him.

And all this time, where had the new King ran off to? Lucas wondered when he might return.

Catalina Tamiko
King

Post by Catalina Tamiko » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:56 pm

The paladin stood and moved to Edwin's representative. "Very well. We can address that matter in a moment. For now can wd all please remain calm?" His squire movdd closer fo the Gawain rep. This ferref had no idea what game he was actually playing. Catalina was the very reason their order was founded. And he was sorely temping her wrath it appeared.

Catalina herself kept her face deathly serious. But inside she was smiling, albeit in anguish. This ferref knew a few tricks. He would make a wonderful ally. Seeing the squire approach him she rdmained quiet as the fox leaned down. "Sire.. not to be rude but that tigress there... was fhe entire reason our order was created. She commands a force of millions, and her battle mount is a dragon no less....please dont anger her." He whispered nervously.

Catalina gave them the privacy to speak before turning her attention on the Mazian representative. Since the king was gone, she would work on him a bit. "You seem most disturbed by the presence of just two demons. Come now, have your people forgotten the tales of how many of us it actally takes to do sedious damage? In olden days it would take no less than a thousand to burn a single village of farmers. Surely you have more faith in your arms and armor fhan that?"

arSyx
Assassin

Post by arSyx » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:14 pm

Caius' approach to this meeting had been, if one were to put it to a single word: cautious. With this new development, and the circumstances that had come about, there were those seeking to gain from it. In Caius' mind, it would be better for Maze to play it safe in the political game, keeping up obligations but not committing to much else until they were in a better spot to do so. That said, Miles' proposal was a godsend to the recovering nation, and it would be foolhardy to not at least try to get some motion on this going. A border agreement would, at the very least, promote the idea that Maze's borders were just as much to be recognized as any others'. On top of that, involving the Order would put his mind at ease.

The black rodent was removed from thought when the demoness had specifically addressed him, something he had not quite expected, and it made him shift in his seat a bit. He must have betrayed a little more concern toward the demons than he probably should have, and he felt as if that may be what she was probing. It was true that he had a healthy fear of demons, as one reasonably should, but it was not what guided his policy here.
"To the contrary, it is my faith in our abilities that makes me apprehensive. Call it old-fashioned, but I believe mortal problems can be solved by mortal hands. Not to spurn your generosity, of course," he spoke politely before adding one last thought. "It is also worth mentioning that with just the right wind, even a spark can yield disastrous results."

With that, the Mazan royal advisor beckoned the lion paladin over to make some headway on the matter at hand.
"If you've some sort of scribe, could you bring them here? If an agreement concerning international borders is to be made, it shouldn't be written by a representative of one of the involved nations. We can come to an agreement on the draft and revise as necessary before signing to it."
The advisor gently tapped his fingers to the table as he waited for the next step to begin. This process would probably take a little while, but at the very least, they were plunging into it straight away.
-------------------------------------------------------

Something about the words "worst fears" in particular had stuck out from what the bird had said. The words made him think, made him dwell on what that really meant. There were a lot of awful scenarios playing out in the king's head right now, and though he wasn't sure which one of them would classify as the worst, he was sure he didn't want any of them actually happening. With any luck, this only affected him, and if that were the case, he could simply step down and live out whatever horrible fate awaited without dragging anyone else down. He hated knowing that might be his best option, but really, with a vague answer like that, he couldn't even be sure of that much.

On top of that, the king was unsure of what to think of the thought that his father may have left him with this, intentionally or not. He wanted to know its history, why he had inherited it, what it even really meant. The raccoon knew none of that information would help him, much as he may want to know. He silently vowed to find all this out at some point, but for now, That left the next most important question.

"So how do I get rid of it?" Arneo was very forward in his questioning. This was a tricky one, because he had feeling that whatever possible solution the bird told him would conveniently involve freeing the lieutenant. The king had a few ideas in mind for how to proceed, depending on the answer, but he would wait to see what the ninja had to say.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Whilst all the talking was going on, a fox hooded and furred in grey had slipped through the crowds, coming from Miles' side to Lucas. His silent paws went unnoticed amidst the hubbub and noise, and he got the Order's attention through a gentle tap on the shoulder. "Pardon me if I startled you," He began in a gentle voice, "But I couldn't help but notice your reactions to Milord's... well, general manner. He has had to exaggerate his presence greatly all his life, lest he be ignored and trampled by those older and stronger than he. He causes chaos because it is the only state in which he can stand as tall, or taller, than those around him. But if you keep your head, or ride the wave, you should be fine. I have never seen the tactic fail in all my years of service to him, though God only knows how he manages it. If I wasn't born with grey fur, Lord Miles would have given it to me. Well, good luck; both with this, and with your own... overlookers." And with a slight nod to the elders surrounding Lucas, Rulf the healer slipped back to his master's side.

Said master was in his element, smiling down upon the paladin acolyte from atop his lupine perch. "Oh, relax. I should think I have a better read on the moods of a lady than you would." Miles quipped, with a wink towards the traditional celibacy of the Paladin order. Not that it was an altogether strict observance, if the fact that Catalina had married a member of said Order was any indication. Still, the ferret detected no hostility from the tigress, and was willing to bank on the fact that she was willing to deal with him. Of course, you know what they say about demons cutting deals...

In any case, it seemed his proposal was going through. "That's a good idea, Caius; I've no objection to the Order drafting the resolution, subject to revision, of course. We don't want our friend Lucas to have no say in what happens to his country, do we?" In truth, having a little wiggle room in what would actually be in the draft would probably be vital in actually getting all the present delegates to sign it. One defector could be pressured, but two would tank it for sure. If it looked as if they were being forced to swallow a whole pill with no input... well, the tenuous agreement might not last the test. Best not to push the ambassadors too far.

~***~

Below the cellars, in the darkness of the dungeon, a pair of avian eyes were shining as if to almost illuminate the room. The king was had, and he knew it. At this point, all the Avian had to do was pull and twist. "Werl naow Arnie, that's the sort of street talk that comes more from freein' than free. If that ain't on the table, don't rightly know what you've got to do." The lieutenants tone was as cool and relaxed as you please, like a negotiator knowing its all over but the signing... or an expert bluffer on the last hand of the game. Which is it, your majesty, with crown and country on the line?