Points of View, Chapter 1: Crossroads

Once one of the weakest nations of Feila, ruled and predominately populated by the Rodents. Recently, it has recovered from a famine and Civil War, leaving it governed by a duumvirate of King and Tribune. While still economically disadvantaged, its technology is surprisingly advanced, and it is primed to take a larger place on the world stage. Similar to Earth's medieval Spain.
AceofBlades
Peasant
Peasant
Species: Badger

Points of View, Chapter 1: Crossroads

Post by AceofBlades »

The shouting in the port escalated rapidly. The seaside city of Redmoore had turned on the little rat quickly upon her demonstrations. A mob of angry people from all over town wielded torches, shovels, and even a pitchfork. Scared for her life, Trisha Sparktail, hid in between two of the buildings on the road. She didn't know what to do, so she ran.

-2 weeks later-

Creston was a small town built on a crossroads of two trading routes. Small, unassuming, and bustling during trade seasons. Most people coming into town only stay for a day or two before moving on. Which made Creston the perfect little town for it's main attraction. The Devil's Drink tavern! The smell of ale, drugs, and adulterous actions filled the smokey little main room of the tavern. Tables across the large main room hosted card games, or arm wrestling matches. While a second level of tables simply ate, talked, and watched. The little rat girl with the goggles over her forehead held her tail as she sat in the corner of the tavern with a single untouched drink in front of her.

Her table was a nice one. A single candle lit the circular indent in the wall and somewhat hidden as long as she blew out the candle. The rat girl sighed and looked up as a man in Redmoore guard attire spoke to the innkeeper.

Trisha Evergleen Sparktail is a young rat woman of only nineteen years. She wears well tailored clothing, and heavy leather aprons, gloves, and boots. A large toolbag always falls to her right thigh! She wears goggles over her forehead, around her neck, or just on her eyes if she feels she needs them. A strange pipe with a wooden handle stuck off from her back, and out of her belt. Spherical clay balls hang from her belt too.

After a few moments the guards turn and approach Trisha. "You, RAT!... You're coming with us!" the guard demanded!

Sponsor

Asyriel
God
God

Re: Points of View, Chapter 1: Crossroads

Post by Asyriel »

Jessica Trygalle was a diminutive chinchilla, only four-foot-ten-inches tall and not even topping a hundred pounds in weight. Her soft fur was a dark shade of grey that bordered on black and her large eyes were a dark shade of blue. She wore a light, somewhat short, skirt that only reached down to her knees. It had a low cut, laced bodice that left her arms exposed, though her hands were covered by gloves. On top of that, she wore a heavy travel cloak with a hood. Her ears were pierced near the top, and from each of those piercings dangled a wire wrapped stone from a short length of chain. She carried with her a satchel, slung across her body, and from it's strap dangled several stone figurines. The figurines were carved into a variety of fantastically shaped creatures, and amazingly detailed.

She worked as a caravan guard along the trade routes, and currently called Creston home, though she was away more often than she was in residence. Folks often looked at her incredulously when she mentioned her chosen profession. The sight of her diminutive size, and lack of physical strength just didn't mesh with the traditional preconception of a caravan guard. It was always frustrating, especially when the ones giving her the look were potential employers. That look always changed though when she displayed her skills, and she had started to gain some notoriety among the members of the merchant guilds.

The Devil's Drink was one of Jessica's favorite places to spend her free time, when she was in town at least, and she had walked into the establishment just behind the guard, and wearing a wide grin. She had big plans for the evening most of which involved drinking and gambling and if the mood struck her, perhaps she would partake in some of the more lewd activities the place was known for.

She had stepped past the guard, and was heading for one of the tables hosting card games when the guard spoke up, addressing a female rat at one of the more out-of-the-way tables. Jessica stopped in her tracks, turning her head to watch the guard for a moment before she changed her course and started to approach the guard.

"Hey there, what seems to be the problem?" She asked the guard. She casually brushed one of her hands across his arm as her other hand reached up to grab one of the figurines hanging from the strap near the middle of her chest. She merely held on to the figurine as if it were a nervous habit as she waited for the guard's response.

Rosaris
Duke
Duke
Species: Grey/Fennec Foxtaur

Post by Rosaris »

“Interesting…” said Rene as she watched the tavern from across the street, her large radar-like ears perking from time to time as she listened to the scene from afar. The most of her body hidden beneath a black cloak of sorts as she idly listened in on the situation. She had arrived in town not too long ago, and had heard odd tales about this place seemingly clinging to the old ways of the civil war, so she figured that she might as well check the place out and see what there is to do in a place like this… she honestly wondered in the back of her mind what would befall the people in the tavern across the street.

I should probably keep my nose out of things over there…” she thought to herself, not wanting to cause a ruckus amongst the rodents and other residents of the town… at most she should probably go back to her posing as a merchant to hide the fact she was a Black Order knight from Kahun.

She was an odd one at most… a hybrid of sorts, a mix between a ringtail cat and a fennec fox, with other bits and pieces of other animals making up her body’s biology. This was concealed by the black cloak she wore over the majority of her body, occasionally making low-level sales from her cart from the locals in order to keep herself busy and hopefully not in trouble with the locals.
My Characters in Detailed Things and plus Threads!
The light must be extinguished, for the shadows to Disappear...
Feila Discord Server! Join Naoh!!
National Project Thingy!
Winter is Coming... are you prepared for the coming STORM?!

TBNRmunoz
Cub
Cub

Post by TBNRmunoz »

"Oh no, not another criminal in my bar!" said Seth Engris the main bartender of the Devil's Drink Tavern. He was a large muscular leopard and puma mix. He didn't wear a shirt or shoes as the bar was scorching hot and his thick black fur didn't do well with the intense heat. His ice blue eyes blazed with fury as he observed the event taking hold in his very establishment. "What is going on here!?" He demanded with a voice as dark as his fur from across the tavern. "You leave that little rat alone or give me a darn good reason to disrupt my bar like this!"this time his voice was full of rage. The whiskers on his sleek face were twitching with disgust as he stared the guard in the eyes. "I'm sorry sir but this rat right here is in huge trouble with the Kingdom of Maze! We need her for questioning. Now if you don't mind we will be taking the rat with us." His voice was shaky for Seth had walked over to him and he realized that Seth was about 17 inches taller than him. The guard knew that by the size of the muscles on that fur he should be talking with a little more respect. " I'm sorry sir, I didn't mean to anger you." Darn straight you didn't. I don't know if you have been informed but I have a paper signed by the king stating that you are not allowed to enter my tavern and if you have any criminals in here that you need to talk to you have to wait until they have exited the building. Now get you little scrawny butt out of here before I have to get mean." His voice was a low growl at this point. "Yes sir" said the guard his knees knocking. They started to leave with the rat. " leave the girl here" His voice passive aggressive. They let her go and ran out of the tavern.

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Tapatalk

AceofBlades
Peasant
Peasant

Post by AceofBlades »

Trisha looked around her at each passing moment. One speaker to the next, than back to the floor before the guards departed. Baffled by the whole ordeal, she lifted a hand in thanks to the bartender. She grabbed a heavy pack from under the table and sighed before rooting through it.

Metallic clanks and rattles could be heard from the pack by Jessica since she was so near. Taking note, and remembering her words, Trisha finally looked up at her.

"Umm... Thank you for trying to help." She gave a meek smile while her ears flattened. "... The guard here blames be for not fixing a boiler underneath the barracks for 'Patriotism'."

She pulled out a strange block wrapped in burlap, and tied up with twine. Trisha held the box out to Jessica, offering it as a reward my the warm and apologetic smile she offered. Another sat on the table already, likely for the large bartender.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Jessica was a little surprised, but eventually just shook her head, and moved out of the way as the bartender decided to get involved and took care of the guard problem. She watched the scene for a time, shaking her head again as it concluded, and she turned her attention back to the rat in the booth.

She looked down at Trisha's pack with some curiosity; she tilted her head to one side a bit. "Oh, it's not a problem." She replied "I think Seth probably intervened as much to help you as to keep me from getting out of hand." She dropped her voice low before continuing. "Things usually get broke if I get involved in any kind of fights." She told Trisha with a soft chuckle. "When patriotism is used as a reason to force people to do things, patriotism may as well be lost." She commented in somewhat sour tones.

She looked down at the wrapped box, and put a hand on it. "No need for rewards dear, altruism isn't quite dead." She told the rat with a warm smile. "If you really want to reward me, how bout you let me join you for a drink, and tell me your story." She said as she sat down opposite Trisha in the booth. "Can I get a bottle of peach brandy please Seth?" She asked the bartender before turning her attention back to the rat opposite the table from her. "My name is Jessica Trygalle. You can call me Jess if you want." She introduced herself as she held a hand out across the table.

AceofBlades
Peasant
Peasant

Post by AceofBlades »

The small woman looked down at her gift wrapped box as the brandy was ordered. She climbed back into the seat and, like a child, had barely her shoulders over the table once she'd said her bag down closer to the wall with a heavy THUNK and the rattling of springs and loose metallic contents. She stood up and slid the small box over towards Jessica.

"I know you didn't ask for it, but it's the least I could do for someone who's actually willing to help me." She looked around at the onlookers still staring her down. "... despite my affiliations."

Box Contents: A small one shot pistol, a wonder of her engineering prowess since the small, with narrow tipped bullet and sealed casing capable of firing even under water with a decent powered shot.

Trisha sat back down and looked over towards Jessica. The rat gave a genuine smile this time and took a deep breath. "So, my story."

With the words of a poet Trisha recounted her life thus far. A meager sixteen years, and already a prominent figure in a group she calls 'House of
Contraptions'. She tells the tale of the first crossbow she built and helping defend the once tiny farm village to defend itself when the resident wizard was stricken ill with a poison, snuck into the well nights before the outlaws attacked, all at the age of just seven. How she had taught, along with her mentor, many others to think the same way and assemble great wonders of science. The rat's rail swung back and forth, cheeks rose colored, as she told of a Ferret sorcerer in the 'Academy of the Arcane' that she found particularly attractive in the most wonderful way. And although not as exciting, her sway from the brandy brought life to a tale of her once getting her tail stuck in tar.

Most tales were of merriment and laughs. "But that all changes when the two schools, stopped being friends." She said, the smile dying from her face. "... The Academy's headmaster fell sick and died. The same Wizard, now Headmaster Aretur, was the one who failed to save the town all those years ago. He hated our technology, our science. Called it inferior, inefficient, and crude. One day a fight broke out and somebody died. Damius, the leader of my school retaliated and the town has been caught in the crossfire for a year now." she finished her brandy.

"We thought it would be a spat, but it's become a full on war. I left the House of the Contraption and began to try serving the town in order to mitigate the damage caused... it was no use. So they sent me out to find people to help, maybe the King might lend soldiers. But the stories have spread to wide and everyone just thinks i'm another overly aggressive gearhead trying to bring other towns into that STUPID war!" She slammed her fists on the table as she shouted. The table barely moved but her cup wobbled a bit.

Trisha looked back up the Jessica. "So that's my story!"

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Jessica looked at the box for a moment before shrugging. "If you insist." She replied as she took the box and opened it. She looked at the device inside and tilted her head a bit, her expression revealing that she had no real idea what she was looking at. "Hmm...thank you." She said, smiling again as she shut the box, and stuffed it into her satchel. She was curious just what affiliations Trisha was talking about, but the rat launched into her story before she could ask.

She listened with interest as Trisha told her story, appropriately shocked, and amused at various points during the story. "You've been through quite a bit." She commented into the pause when Trisha shifted to the subject of the war. "I have to admit I'm more of the magical persuasion, not that I have anything against mechanical innovation." She said with a smile, and a slight shrug.

Jessica was again drawn in as Trisha spoke of how a disagreement had turned into a full blown war. She recoiled a bit from the intensity of Trisha's speech as the rat slammed her fist on the table. "Well, that's certainly quite the story." She replied as she gulped down the last of the bottle of brandy on the table, and signaled for another. "I don't know that throwing soldiers into this would be such a good thing though....you may be better served with an unbiased diplomat first." She suggested. "Though I haven't been in the middle of it, I have heard a few stories from my fellow caravan guards." A thoughtful expression came to her, and she was silent a few moments before she spoke again. "We may be able to convince the guild to get involved though...if things get bad enough, the merchants will stop going that way, and that's a loss for everyone." She mused quietly.

Her expression lit up as the next bottle of brandy arrived. "Time for that later though." She announced with a grin as she snatched the bottle and took a long drink before passing it to Trisha.

Rosaris
Duke
Duke

Post by Rosaris »

Making her way over to the tavern after the guards had left, the obsidian armored hybrid hummed slightly as she looked around, stepping into the tavern without much of a word as her armor clinked with each step, the girl sitting down at the bar as her large ears quirked to the sounds of the tavern, getting a few odd stares from the locals. She smiled to the tender and gave a couple motions to him to come over, setting two silver on the counter before ordering a mug of mead.

“Yer not welcome here, slayer” growled a large rodent mutt as he stepped over, glaring at the small woman in the armor with a strong smell of alcohol about himself. “Sew wry doncha run off back to Kahun where ye belong?” he growled, glaring at her.

“Because, I have just as much of a right to be in this tavern as anyone else, mutt” she said simply to the rodent pestering her, giving a nod of thanks to the tender as he handed her the drink she ordered, giving a glance toward the man as he continued to show aggression toward her. “So why doncha leave me in peace, hmmm?” she said simply, moving to sip from the mug, only to have it knocked out of her hand and to the floor.

“YOU WILL LEAVE NOW, BITCH!” he roared loudly, only to have a sword drawn on him. “Oh, so you’re gonna cut me down then?” he laughed and drew his own sword, a stand off beginning anew within the bar as a few of the other locals seemed to be getting ready to gang up on her. “Yer outnumbered lassie, so might as well heed our advice before we gut ya!”

Rene gave a look of annoyance as she glanced around, before sighing as she shook her head. “Nope, not gonna leave, even if I have to punt you fools to the curb myself!” she said, the tender seeming to ignore the situation for the moment… it wasn’t any fun for the hybrid, all she wanted to do was relax. Seems trouble followed her in… from the looks of it...
National Project Thingy!

AceofBlades
Peasant
Peasant

Post by AceofBlades »

Trisha opened her mouth to speak, but the interruption of the foul language at the bar made her squeak and jump. After a few seconds of hiding under the table she peaked out, ears flat against her head. She glared as the blade's ringing sung out a dirge of impending conflict. The little rats ears shot straight up now and she grabbed a sort of metal covered belt with dozens of gadgets attached to it before standing up to a whopping 3'11'.

"You!..." She glared, pulling something from her belt and tossing it to his blade. " You pestered me when I arrived too!" The device would magnetize to the metal of his blade and the body of the device glowed with a glyph of conjuration. The device suddenly becoming 100 pounds heavier making the blade impossible to wield. "I'm tired of your rudeness!!"

She pulled out another and tossed it at his chest. The device would rumble a deep tone and glow before the mans breathe would expel and not allow him to keep breathing in for a whole five second.

She stood now between the newcomer and the mob. She pulled out two more of the same device, making a show of cranking up their timers and that she had at least seven more on that belt...

"Anybody else want to argue!?" She stared out into the crowd as the man would just be able to catch his breath.

The men laughed at the miniscule rat woman. One man shouting 'just take her out too!' amongst the crowd. Trisha growled at the not-so-intimidated men. Two tables stood up and began to move to stand behind the original drunkard to show their support for this would-be beat down. Trisha looked back and her ears sunk by lay flat as her gaze caught a very large Bear standing at the back of the group with a giant hammer.

"Break eet up! NOW!!" the bear shouted, silencing the entire tavern. Ears perked at the northern accented bear in chain and leather armor. An eight foot tall monstrous man with an eye patch over a heavily scarred face. "Leave zhem all alone, and return tyo your own business!"

The crowd, for a moment, chuckled. But as the bears grip on the hammer that was the same height as him tightened, they silenced and began to dissipate... All but the drunkard who still glared at the newcomer.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Trisha wasn't the only one taking action against the abundance of bigotry in what was normally Jessica's favorite place to hang out and unwind. Jessica had once again grabbed hold of one of the figurines hanging from the strap of her satchel. As she touched it, it began to glow. An image of a creature of vaguely humanoid shape, and crystalline structure began to appear near where the bear had stood up.

The image coalesced and solidified. The summoned entity towered above even the bear and green and brown energies swirled within it's crystalline structure.. "I think it's time for you to leave." She announced to the drunkard who hadn't heeded the bears words. She pointed at the offending drunk as she spoke, and the massive entity moved toward him. It plucked him from the ground before lumbering to the door and tossing him unceremoniously well out into the road.

She approached Rene as the crystalline beast lumbered back toward her. "Thank you Tiber." She said with a smile before she spoke to Rene. "Bigot like him isn't worth staining your blade." She said in tones that held nothing but contempt for said bigot. "Why don't you come have a seat with us?" She asked, motioning for Rene to follow as she headed back to where she had been sitting with Trisha earlier. She motioned for Trisha to follow her back to the seat as well. She snagged another bottle of peach brandy on her way before settling down, opening the bottle, and taking a long drink.

"So, with that done, maybe now we can get some peace to enjoy ourselves." She announced when the other two joined her at the table.

AceofBlades
Peasant
Peasant

Post by AceofBlades »

Trisha turned and nodded at Jessica. But the dispersing crowd, and drunkard left the towering bear in armor standing where he was. Trisha looked back and walked up to the bear. He took a knee, setting the hammer down against the floor gently. "Thank y-" She began.

"Are you going to be alright, little one?" The gentle giant said, offering her a smile.

Trisha's face turned to one of confusion as the bear spoke to her as if she were a child. His entire demeanor, his speech, and face all seemed to lead to the belief that she was in fact simply a child amongst adults. She smiled however and nodded to the giant man. "Yeah... i'll be fine! Thank you!"

A boisterous laugh echoed in the tavern as the man scooped the rat up quickly, evoking a squeak from her. "Good than I will join you for drink!" The bear boomed! He carried Trisha over to the table in one hand, hammer in the other. "Little woman, grab bottle!" He said, Trisha looked down at the bar and grabbed two bottles that the bartender had placed on the bar with a smirk. The bear set Trisha down before leaning the hammer against the wall and addressing the tavern.

"Enough of speaking friends! DRINK! It is on me!" He exclaimed, following by a roaring cheer from the crowd.

Rosaris
Duke
Duke

Post by Rosaris »

Rene couldn't help but tense as things started to take a turn for the worst, reaching for her magi's lance as the chaos seemed to flail about until... it ended? Her hand moved away from her weapon and back to her drink, only to realize she didn't have one anymore... ignoring whatever else that may come her way until she looked over at the two women that approached her. "Uh..." she looked around, seeing those hateful looks still, before giving a smile and nodding a bit, following the offering woman back to the table and taking a seat with a heavy sigh. "Mya... sorry about all that, people just dun' like me for whatever reason... I think it's the alcohol or something" she said with a small laugh, the sound of armor clinking about her form as she shifted around and adjusted a few things here and there. "Name's Rene, I'm... more or less a trouble solver when I'm not getting myself into a heap just by existing, I do apologize for the craziness I brought in..." she said with a small droop in her head, frowning a bit as she idly flicked her tail about behind herself.

"Hope they don't mind the armor and such..." she thought to herself, pondering a bit on possibly trying to order another drink that wouldn't make herself fuzzyheaded and drunk like the people that were assaulting her were.
National Project Thingy!

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Jessica was glad the bear wasn't talking to her. SHe was not a fan of being talked to like she were a child or helpless, and probably would have given the bear an earful if he had talked like that to her. She instead took another drink from the bottle she held, then passed it to Rene. "No worries, some people just think they need to spread hate." She replied to the armored hybrid. She grinned as Rene introduced herself and replied cheerfully. "Nice to meet you, name's Jessica but you can call me Jess if you like."

She turned her attention to Trisha. "So, who's your new friend?" She asked, referring to the bear. "And he may regret offering to pay for the drinks." She continued with a laugh. It was then that she realized the crystalline behemoth she had summoned was still standing nearby waiting to see if she had any new commands. "That's all for now Tiber." She said to the entity before it shimmered and faded. One of the figurines hanging from the satchel strap across her chest glowed for a few moments, then the glow faded to nothing.

AceofBlades
Peasant
Peasant

Post by AceofBlades »

With a bewildered face she turned and followed the other girls to the table. The boisterous laughs and songs of the large bear man in the background. She'd taken the armored belt from her waist and hopped up onto her seat beside Jessica now. This was obviously the small people side of the table. Trisha realized quickly though that her stuff was on the other side and slid down under the seat and between her bag and Rene. She put the belt back into the bag before raising her hand to a passing barmaid. The barmaid walked passed, not seeing her tiny arm waving, or perhaps not willing the serve her? The small rat woman huffed.

At Jessica's question she turned. "I don't know who that guy is, but he's certainly good at controlling the crowd." Her ears perked up at another loud song they began to chant in revelry with the bear. "At least he's keeping their attention away from us... even if it is by, likely, losing all of his coin."

Trisha then turned to Rene and smiled. "I'm Trisha by the way!" She'd extend her hand out toward the hybrid.