What we were, or might have been... (AU, Catalina)

Set some 1000 years before the Mediaeval period, this Age is dominated by the Edwinan empire known as Senatus Populusque Edwinus (SPQE). The time period is like that of Earth's Roman Republic, when the Republic encompassed much of the known world, and conquered against the Barbarians of the surrounding countries. All natives are furry (Skin Avian are present here too). No native humans.
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx

Re: What we were, or might have been... (AU, Catalina)

Post by Rackenhammer »

In all the business of preparation, Vaughnian had neglected to silence Conradus, and the lack of fear upon the slave's face, although a comic contrast with that of the two cubi siblings of Catalina, failed to stir any laughter in the wolf's soul. Only apprehension rose in his breast as he saw the puckish smile across his friend and servant's face. At what point was he going to interject, and to what result?

He didn't have to wait long. "Hell of an opening remark, eh? If you're like this to your nearest and dearest, I don't want to hear any surprise at your reputation among strangers." Vaughnian let him go no further than that, visibly shushing him with a darker glare than any Cat had yet seen from him, though Conradus had seen it once or twice. He never talked back to it.

The proceedings following this were more of interest to Gracchus, who had at first not been sure why his presence was desired at this occasion. His face grew conflicted at the prospects offered now to his brother and his recently-expanded family; the way their fate was, and apparently had always been, in the paws of others who were not of their blood or kind, and whose intention were hardly trustworthy. Of course, to hear Delia so dismiss them awoke less ambiguous feelings, and had Ikarus not restrained him the horse probably would have done something regrettable.

Fortunately, Vaughnian had been prepared for this. Reaching beside him, he placed two nuggets, one of copper and one of iron upon the table. "These were taken from the mines I own yesterday, and they are true samples of the whole. Of course, it wouldn't normally be legal for a citizen to export metal of this quality to a barbarian, except as payment for mercenary work." He raised one finger in the manner of an Imperial Senator summing up a point. "Now, the ultimate upshot of this meeting was apparent to you from the first; Catalina is establishing her independence, and is willing to bargain for your assistance in defending it against her infanticidal mother. This is the offer; one smith plus apprentices, and metal for him to work with."
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length
Sponsor

Catalina Tamiko
King
King
Species: Feline-Tiger/Panther

Post by Catalina Tamiko »

Delia remained silent a moment. Her eyes fixated on the metal nuggests. Metal she knew. She almoat coveted it as a wealthy citzen would covet silver and gold. Her headwings slowly arched up. And after a moment Alacarian spoke. "How much metal is to be paid to her?"

Delia would have slapped him for intruding upon her dealings. But this was something she could not afford to interrupt. A real blacksmith with apprentices. After a moment her eyes fell on Gracchus. "If hes half as decent looking and skilled as tyour slave I would take him." "He has a name. And his name is Gracchus. He isnt me slave or servant."

That elected an arched eyebrow from both older cubi. They glanced at one another. Thwir young siblingwas playing a dangerous game. "Ten silver coins plus metal and smith. His familynare not my concern but if they are included I can certainly put them in a well enough place. If the smithy has skill with a weapon I will skip the coins."

Delia was beyond her element. All demons made deals, but her skill was not like cat or her brother. She found something she wanted and almost any price was acceptable. "When can I meet him?" She blurted suddenly.
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

My Cast of critters. (INCOMPLETE) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6514
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

So that was it, was it? Gracchus never took a baleful stare off of Delia. His brother had been sold, to pay the bill of a mercenary? Without changing his expression in the slightest, the equine stated, "All our family knows our way around a blade; a smith who can't use his own products isn't of much to anyone." Had surnames been registered in those days, the whole family would have been called simply 'Smith,' one of the tribe that was to go to all ends of the earth and cover it with their name.

Vaughnian did not interrupt him; after all, the greater cost was obviously borne by the horse's house, and not his own. But as the deal neared its conclusion, he moved in to seal it. "Then it is agreed. If the smith is not busy, there's no particular reason you can't see him as soon as possible, as far as I know." The wolf shot a significant look towards Gracchus, who shrugged.

"If you're bound on it." He was looking curiously now at Catalina. While being a slave was not exactly pleasant or respectable, it was accepted as part of the society. But if he'd been bought and branded, and wasn't a slave, what in heaven or earth was he supposed to be?

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Delia nodded. Wth that done, Catalina stood. "I bid you good meal ane good day. Vaughnian, I will be on the west end of the villa if I am needed." Turning practically on her heel she started off. "Come." Was all she said. Ikarus bowed politely to the others and motioned for the equine to follow.

Away from the others and at least well out of sight catalina relaxed, and whimpered. "Ikarus... it hurts..." the dragon knelt beside his mistress. "When did you feed last? When Alacarian tended your wounds?" She nodded. The dragon nodded and picked her up. "Gracchus, come. You may as well see now and grow used to it." He went outside, still carrying catalina. "There. That mutt. Conradus managed to bring it here when Catalina was first injured. Get it to follow but do not get yourself hurt please."

Alacarian was startled by Catalina leaving so suddenly. He had suspicians, but stayed beside the table. The older succubus was trying to decide just how to come across telling the blacksmith she had place for him. Her charms had never failed her. If all else failed she could just transport them with magic as she did herself. "What town is he in?" She asked as she quietly broke a piece of bread in half and held half to her brother. "And why does Catalina pretend we cant sense the pain she is in. If she would but ask we would help her." Delia said softly. The woman was genuinely concerned for her sibling it seemed. That care was simply buried under years of animosity
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Well, whatever Catalina thought he was, Gracchus was apparently expected to follow the tigress and her orders as much as a slave or servant would. Still, he couldn't but admit that getting away from a gathering of cubi was something of a relief to him. There were all sorts of rumors about their feeding habits-

Oh.

Not sure what was going to happen, but more than certain that it was not going to be pleasant, he called over the dog. It didn't come, possibly sensing the horse's trepidation. He had to go and bodily pick it up; the poor mutt looked sick, and Gracchus didn't feel so easy in his own stomach as he brought the poor creature to Catalina...

~***~

Vaughnian watched Catalina depart,waiting until she had left before letting out a sigh. He dipped a crust of bread in his wine, chewing thoughtfully as he said, "Last we knew of the fellow, he lived in Lyonne, which is by no means as grubby a hole as Catalina represented, though its somewhat worse than it used to be." Indeed, the young cubi throwing all social relations into chaos had affected more than the village smith; the place as a whole had not realized how marginal its wealth was, until that margin was almost wholly consumed in one unplanned holiday. He didn't think it would take the smith much convincing to leave.

As Delia asked after her sister, the wolf tried to judge just in what spirit that question had been asked. He directed a glance over to Conradus, who was a sharper judge of these things. The hybrid nodded, she was genuine. Therefore, the host was willing to answer, "Well, I don't think she knows that; from what I've gathered, there's been precious little mutual support in your House for some time. Plus... one doesn't like to show weakness in front of elder siblings. It was the same way with my sister and me." He sighed. "I don't suppose I'm in a position to judge, but I do try to keep my house in order. No blood relation of mine is in this house, I was the last one left when my father died. If I could have them back..." He shook his head. "Well, it may not be too late for you, as compared with me, but I don't know. I hope so. That's why I'm helping her."

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Ikarus carried Catalina far enough from the house they wouldn't hear. With the dog present, he sat the succubus down and came to Gracchus. "Mistress does not feed live unless they attack her first. In this instance, she prefers feral beasts to mortals." Taking the dog he felt pity for it, but his mistress came first. With a swift movement he ended it's life painlessly. Bringing it to Catalina he watched her place a paw on hit. Shame in her eyes as she did the act. Drawing the soul from the still warm creature, she held it in her paw. staring at it as if she were ill at her stomach. "Such a pitiful existence we are..... his life held far more value than my own. He could have been a loyal companion to another.... and now he is but a meal for me...."

She did what she needed, Breathing it in through her lips. When it was done she sat there on the ground. She couldn't look either in the eye. Ikarus carried the dog off behind some trees. After a moment his full form was revealed as he did what he had to do as well. Returning to Anthro form he returned, though none disturbed by his own needs. Catalina looked up at Gracchus. After a moment she spoke. "I dont blame you for hating my very being. And I can not fault your desire to avenge yourself and sire straights upon me. But please... Wait until I am at least free. Then I will gladly let you end my life. Ikarus wont harm you. He knows better..." She looked away. Ikarus was saddened, seeing his mistress in her state.

Delia sighed. "I have... tried in my own way. I reached out and offered her a place in my own clan. Wealth, pillage and plunder. Feeding as she wanted. harems or whatever else she fancied. IT seems she is more like our younger brother than Alacarian or myself. We embraced our nature. Their buried theirs in research and books and tomes older than they are." She remained silent as she chewed her bite. Then spoke again. "Alacarian keeps souls of convicts in a jar, as I can tell you have seen. Murderers, rapists, thieves. Convicted and sentenced to death. He carries out the sentence. I assure you we are not so bad as one may believe. We have standards. In my own raids, I do not purposefully allow my raiders to freely take and pillage and murder. We are only after material wealth. We do kill soldiers and guards, yes. But at least they have weapons and skill to fight back. Alacarian has yet to kill a mortal that has not first been convicted of crimes against your own first. Such is how catalina feeds when she has too. That is when she eats. The poor child starves herself... purposefully. I think she wants to die."

Alacarian grew uncomfortable with this subject. Delia nudged him. "Say it naive... Dont be daft. I may be blunt but at least I am not damned for dishonesty." The incubus growled but finally spoke. "She is smaller than she should be. She eats only when she absolutely has to to keep herself from going into a feeding craze. no doubt you noticed she is small for a succubus. By now she should be at least a foot taller and beginning to represent the figure of a fine woman. She still looks as a child. I have tried in the past to coax her into feeding properly, but always with the same result. She threatens to purify us and gets her tail tied in knots by mother. Grandmother is disturbed, but not one to tell mother how to raise her own children." He sighed and folded his paws, tapping his claws against his bare paws. "I give her... thirty years... possibly forty before her body shuts down and she dies. We have brought her slaves, convicts, bandits, rabid animals, feral beasts. Even half dead cattle... she still refuses to feed until it becomes absolutely needed.... And now I have an idea why..."

He looked at Vaughnian. "She's going to leave everything she is and has to that horse. A mortal that has nothing and will then have everything. her powers, her knowledge, her battlemount, her lands and riches. And under Tamikoan law He would become one of the respected line of the family. mother would be furious but unable to even look at him if Catalina's dying wish so requested it. She may have put him in that plight, but with her final breath she will make him a king..."

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Gracchus could not, throughout the whole proceedings, shake the feeling that he was now being initiated into some rite or ceremony, such as was sealed off with terrors by the priests at some temple to the gods in the city. The whole was not without parallel, particularly in the animal sacrifice. It was no pleasant business, but by the time it was over, the plight of the clearly half-starved tigress had managed to move his heart slightly. At least, pure hatred or resentment was no longer even considered.

He knelt beside her, not knowing what to say, nor even if anything should be said. He only got down far enough for them to look each other in the eye, and communicate without the need for clumsy words.

~***~

As he listened, Vaughnian seemed to grow slightly abstracted, as if his thoughts were several miles and two decades away. "There is something my people call verracondia. It is not easy to translate, especially to you, but it roughly means the true knowledge of all one's shames that balances the pride in our virtues. It is a difficult thing to hold, as it is like a building in the mind; one cannot allow nature to have its way, or it crumbles; nor can one ignore nature, otherwise one loses balance in construction. Still, on the whole, I have more respect for one who fails out of defying the evils to which their flesh is heir, rather than merely striking a bargain with them."

The wolf seemed to have come to himself, and smiled apologetically, for the first time actually showing his teeth... and the one elongated fang that marked him as something not quite mortal himself. "I speak, not as one who has no knowledge, but one who struggles the same. And... she is as mortal as I, if you recall. The fight against her own nature may not be so hopeless as you suppose. Mine wasn't."

"Well, you might be slightly more mortal than she; I know I am." Conradus was grinning openly, and now they could see he also sprouted a similar fang, which looked severely out of place in his herbivorous jaws.

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Catalina could barely hold his gaze. After a moment she had to look away again. It was more shame, than anything. NOt just shame of what she was or what she had done before. But what she would have to continue to do. After a moment, her voice spoke clearly in his mind alone. "You understand now, yes? You see what I am. What I will become in the future. I can live thousands of years, but that will cost thousands of lives. Or you can save those thousands of lives and strike me down. I leave that choice to you. If you killed me, you would gain all my power, knowledge, and my standing in the ruling clan of my home realm. You are the only one to wear my brand... which means you inherit all that I am and have. Ikarus would answer to you alone."

She pushed herself up into a proper sitting position. "I can't stop you. All I ask is that in exchange for a fair revenge with ease, you let me be released from my own chains...." Catalina looked at her small paws. Their size belied her strength and skill. Strength and skill she never wanted.

Delia growled softly. "Be what you are as you may, I find none of this amusing enough to smile about. Albeit her own choosing, I will be damned to the 15th circle of Tartarus long before she lets herself die. If you want to sit and grin among yourselves like fools..." Alacarian silenced her with a gentle grip on her arm. "Sister... please. If nothing more, respect that this is his home. We are but guests to him. And will be gone in time. If either of them could...." He put a paw on his face. Delia softened her expression. "Its both our fault. Our jealousy drove her to this. I suppose watching her die in such a manner and known we caused it would be our own punishment. for a vile act as we committed."

Alacarian nodded softly. Delia looked at Vaughnian and spoke. "I suppose we owe you the entire truth of the matter. About 100 years ago... For fear and jealousy of her power we purposefully deceived our sister. We spoke to her that she was not worth licking our boots. That she had no power and her father was a worthless mortal mother ate right after she finished with him. We didn't realize at the time how.... deeply we wounded her. We wanted to sting her pride. Diminish her faith in herself. So that she would just fall in line and be... like us."

She looked at her paws. "It was just a few years later that she blew open the doors to my own bedchamber. I was enraged but my anger turned to horror. She had my favorite slave by the throat. The feral look in her eye. An animal in bloodlust. I knew then what had happened. We had driven her to starve herself in her pursuit to prove us wrong. To prove she was better than we. more gifted more... everything. Mother settled her down alright enough. But it wasn't over. As time marched on, we saw it. Glimpses of that feral rage. That hidden power. Every time mother scolded or hit her. We could see it peek out. Every time one of us would win over grandmother's favor rather than she. After a while I let to forge my own kingdom, and Alacarian had already been called away by some idiot summoner hell bend on controlling the arcane powers of a demon lord." "He got his spells wrong... summoned me instead." Alacarian said from behind his paw.

Delia looked sadly at her brother. "There was a time in our youth we vied for the attentions and affections of all we passed. Now, we would do most anything to see Catalina and our brother smile again. We ruined them sire... we did it. our younger brother is alright enough. He studies. his personal slave tends to making sure he keeps up his meals and remembers to bathe. BUt Catalina..... She's had no one since she was 45." The pair looked more like shamed youths than the proud demons they supposedly were. "You're half of one of the blood drinkers. Your servant as well. By magic or birth matters not. But unlike you, we cant defy our nature forever. Unless you know of a mage that can remove her demonic nature... her best chance at normal life... Is as far from our kind as she can be.... and possibly the death of mother."

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

In these increasingly luxurious and decadent days, self-sacrifice was more and more rarely seen within the Empire. But, when it was seen, was always admired. Gracchus could see it in Catalina, and her offer even now to him struck that chord. Vaughnian had spoke of verracondia, and the equine's own was roused.

"And... would I inherit that appetite as well?" It was a half-rhetorical question, but the acquisition of power would, by necessity, change his nature to suit it. "If I were, I do not think that I could deny my hungers quite so well as you do yours. I made myself a slave for bread. What do you think I would do for souls?" He shook his head. "I will forego vengeance."

~***~

And out came the truth at last. Vaughnian, arms folded, looked down at the table. "I know that story all too well. My family was... divided, on the question of what side of our nature to embrace. My older sister did drink the blood of mortals, and taunted me with such strength as that gave her. But I, and those who thought as I did, had one great advantage; that we could rouse the fear of our neighbors against our own flesh and blood. Even a full vampire is not a match for an agry mob..."

He shut his eyes. He could still hear the cries, smell the smoke of guttering torches... "We never really recovered from that. Those of us that survived scattered to all corners. I still have no idea what happened to my sister. Up until recently, the estate was in decline, to the point that in a few years it would have probably dropped out of cultivation entirely, and left all of us in a desperate way." He looked up at the pair of cubi. "As much as possible, I want to spare your family the fate of mine. Disunity will ultimately mean decline. For Catalina's sake, then, I am willing to do much, but not just for her, you understand?"

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Catalina had no answer to give. She did not know if he would get the hunger for souls. After a moment she pushed herself up. Using the tree as support she leaned against it. "What do you enjoy most in this world? What is it you favor to spend time doing?"

Catalinaknew she had been the cause of his woes. So it seemed to her the gods wanted her to make it right. Ikarus was calm and quiet. He was confident the equine knew now he had more leeway than the average servant.

"We are too far gone to save sire..." alacarian said softly. "Though our younger siblings may have a chance still. Our younger brother is brilliant." "Hes mad but his studies have indeed produced results. I know of no spell that can produce such pure diamonds as he crafts by his art."

The panthress purred softly as she pulled a small bag from her toga. Upending it on the table. Gems. Pure clear as the sky and sparkling. "His work. He sends them to me regularly. Its much easier to barter with gems than threats and weapons." Alacarian was amazed. "I had no idea he was so skilled!" The female smiled. "He delves into potions as well. A very skilled alchemist. If it causes you ill he can probably cure it. Speaking of, brother he did send more supplies for you own alchemical needs." She looked at the wolf. "I trust he is also part of the reason you help. For I have my own lands and freedom. My brother, bound to serve a mortal master as it is, is fed and content." Delia held no lie in her voice. She was certain there was nothing more for herself or her brother to gain. But their younger siblings were still young and needed that help.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

It was, under the circumstances, a rather strange question that Cat had just asked Gracchus. For one thing, it was pretty darn rare for a master to care much about what a slave wanted, especially with the solicitude that implied that the slave was likely to get what they asked for. But after all that he had seen, and all he knew...

Well, what did he want? He hardly knew himself. "Never did take much time to enjoy myself. Had to take care of the house while my brother served his time as a soldier, and after..." He let the matter drop, shrugging. "I like to see fine things. A grand orator speaking, an expert fighter dueling, a great artist carving or painting." He admired greatness, though these days he hardly dared to aspire to it.

~***~

Conradus' eyes sparkled like the very gems spread out on the table. "Well, I'd call that more of an unexpected bonus, myself. Long life to the geniuses, I say!" And he raised a cup in a mock toast before clearing it away, to drain the contents in the kitchen.

Vaughnian rolled his eyes indulgently before returning to the business at hand. "Well, if I can't do anything else for you, I can at least give you a chance to reconcile with your younger siblings. At least, Cat won't be able to muster any real anger or hatred if you're willing to stand out in support of her."

"Now, as I understand it, the plan is to go before your grandmother to plead her case for having established her own independent territory; with you as backup in case her mother interferes. Have I got that right?"

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

The tigriss gave a smile. "So it shall be then. I shall find great things for you. Fortunately here is wone already. Ikarus, as you are aware is a dragon. Have you ever ridden upon a dragon before?" Ikarus knew that was hus signal. He backed up and changed again. Though an impressive sight, he was still a child himself and he knew it.

He lowered down silently awaiting his instruction. "When I was ten... I wandered I to his mothers nest. I surmise she sensed no danger to her brood from me. Or else I would not be here today. It was then that Ikarus choose to hatch. Im.. not certain. But his mother took that as a sign. He has been in my care since. I brought him home. Fed him, taught him magic and strength. In return, he supports me as a friend, and when needed, a battlemount." She came to Ikarus and gently pet his spines along his neck. "mmm ikarus will not harm you. Dont be frightened." The dragon churred softly as she pet him. Like a loyal dog would lean into its master at being pet.

"I will provide the physical support. Combat is my specialty. Alacarian is well versed in magic and our laws from the home land. He can advise you in the matters and how to address Grandmother." The succubus was quietly thinking herself. One could see the gears turning in her head. Then she spoke. "Oh hell... she has slave battle mount and ownership of land... but she still needs some subjects to rule over....." alacaria looked up. "I believe we have that covered as well. She was gifted with the tongue of the animal. If I remember correctly she was a horse breeder, and managed the forest and the animals there in yes? What better kingdom for one such as she than a kingdom as wild as her own spirit? Mother may have slain her breeding stock. However there are other horses she could use. There are wild horses in the forest. Left by soldiers from old battles or lost in trade caravans. They are strong enough to survive there. Surely she could tame such horses and have a full breeding stock again."

Delia looked into her cup. "Possibly. She tried doing things by the book before. Using her power to bend the rules may not be such a bad thing this time. After all..... the empire is honor bound to protect even she. And a being capable of taming forest creatures with words would be helpful to them." Alacarian chuckled. "You think like me sister. Assets and allies... no. Catalina is different. Whatever life she forges from here on in... will be hers. Immediate concerns are her well being and her freedom. Once she is healed we can restore her home and help her return to some normalcy."

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

(Sorry this took so long!)

Dragon-riding was, as one might expect, a complete novelty for the average inhabitant of the Empire. Dragons were not unknown, of course; a few tribes lived in the lands of the Barbarians; but no one had the temerity to actually try to put a saddle on them!

But that wasn't the most difficult thing for Gracchus to grasp. It was that Ikarus could switch from being something like himself, to another thing that was more like a pet dog. The horse wondered if there was some kind of affront to dignity he was risking, as one might if they tried to put a saddle on him. From the churring of the beast, however, he guessed that there was not.
Mounting was a slightly more delicate affair than usual, with the scales and the spines, but he managed it eventually. "A good war-beast is worth more than its weight in soldiers, my brother used to tell me." Gracchus leaned over to give an experimental pat himself.

~***~

"Depending on how thin we can stretch the wire of legal definition, we could represent ourselves as subjects. After all, technically by legal ineritance rights, we're living on her ancestral lands, from Catalina's father." Conradus piped up, earning another glare from Vaughnian, but not a strong one. The wolf even had to sigh, admitting the point.
"If we can settle this peacefully, it would be worth a shot. That will probably be her best shot at normalcy, after all." He got to his feet, extending his paw. "I believe, then, that we have an agreement?"

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Catalina smiled as she levitated up and rested just in front of Gracchus. Ikarus still churred from the pat. Affection it seemed was readily accepted in all its forms. Cat clicked her tongue and the dragon rose slowly. There he waited until cat held out her paw and the reigns formed. She held them over her shoulder. "He can not fly yet. But he is the swiftest mount this side of the heavens." She smiled over her shoulder at the equine. A soft smile. "Here. He wont bolt. Not with a new rider on his back."

Delia stood and took the offered paw. Though her own swallowed his. "We are in agreement it seems. I shall leave these gems here for you. As payment in advance. When this ends, I will see to it you are compensated properly." Alacarian stood. "Sire. With your permission. I shall begin the preperation to summon our younger brother. He can provide materials and has a full copy of the law from our realm to study. That would allow us to prepare for any loop holes in the law. Its likely written in Infernian so I would have to translate for you. "

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

It was evident now that Gracchus was being led by a child, and it was not inappropriate, for all children love to see things of any kind done, and done well. It is only as we grow older that experiences begin to bore us. Still, one would have to be considerably more jaded than the equine was not to be thrilled as Ikarus began slowly, and then accelerated to speeds unheard of in that time!

The horse couldn't help himself; he whinnied in exhilaration from atop the dragon as it galloped at speed, and as the ride eventually came to an end, he was grinning broadly and breathing heavily. "Well, that was certainly a find ride, mistress!" He patted Ikarus more firmly this time. "Truly a wonderful beast, this."

~***~

Shaking her paw firmly, Vaughnian nodded. "Yes, we had better begin." He said to Alacarian, before turning to Conradus. "Help him with whatever he needs."

(Do you want to cut to a Delia/blacksmith and younger brother/Maris scene?)