Welcome to the World of Feila!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

Seeking Fortune

Feilans have finally entered the realm of space in their solar system, a vast area, full of exotic planets and phenomena. The colonies created by the old Edwinish Party have developed into a new faction, the Dmitrians, whom are descended from Feilans, but whom have developed a separate cultural identity from their colonial forefathers. At the edge of the system lurks the formidable faction known as the Immortals, a group of furs whom have used technology to live forever, in a constant state of hostility with Feila and Dmitri, both of whom are on tense enough relations as it is. All natives are furry (Skin Avian are present here too). No native humans.
Asyriel
God
United States of America

Re: Seeking Fortune

Post by Asyriel » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:25 pm

Sakura nodded at Alfred. "Regardless of what function it originally served, it looked pretty broken to me in that holo." She paused for a moment. "I think we're going to have to pay these religious fanatics a visit at some point. I'd like to know just how a broken ancient artifact is going to help them leave the solar system."

She nodded as the subject of Ludolf was brought up. "I'm not a big fan of it either." She replied before shrugging at the comment about cybernetics. "Cybernetics aren't that uncommon. I mean, most furs tend to go with gene editing now days, but there are still a lot of them out there with some sort of cybernetics." She chuckled briefly. "Though I definitely agree that it's no reason not to err on the side of caution. Checking for unusual signals couldn't hurt, and we should definitely keep an eye on him. Make no mistake that he is here to keep an eye on us."

She sat heavily in her seat at the ship's controls before responding to Alfred's question. "I've seen that holo of the artifact somewhere before. The one who hired be to get that chip. I think we need to pay her a visit first. She may know something about it. Something that Robinson either didn't know, or neglected to tell us." She paused for a moment, pulling up a set of coordinates for a Dmitrian moon on her console and sending them to Alfted's statio. "After that, I'd like to meet with the religious fanatics. Weather Robinson would consider it sating idle curiosity or not, I'm not going through all this effort without knowing their story."

A few minutes later, Ludolf made his way into the cockpit, and Sakura looked up at his question. "You'll take the weapons station should we run into any need for it. You're welcome to familiarize yourself with the systems. Station's right up that ladder." She said before pointing to the ladder that lead to the weapons station. "Otherwise, you're welcome to occupy the open seat over here." She pointed to the empty seat across from Alfred. "We're about to set course for a previous engagement that I would prefer to keep before moving on to more recent obligations." She finished setting the course into the ship's computers before setting the ship back into motion under ordinary propulsion while the big drive warmed up again. "Perhaps you'd like to tell us a bit about yourself. It seems you were likely privy to all sorts of information about me already

Sponsor

Sade
Dysuhlian >:C
Species: Toaster

Post by Sade » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:09 am

The bear climbed the ladder to the weapons station and hefted himself into the seat with a grunt. He grunted again on inspection of his surroundings; while the ship had certainly accumulated its fair wear and tear, everything in it was efficiently and sensibly laid out, and this station was no exception. Ludolf didn’t know anything about designing ships, but he’d acquired an eye for it from years of operating them. He had easy access to the controls he would need the most, and while some weren’t where he’d want them there was still a logic to their placement. He spent a few minutes checking things over, and a little while longer pivoting the railguns and missile pods around, observing their range of motion and noting their blindspots, before climbing back down to the cockpit and taking his seat across from Alfred.

“I read your file,” he replied shortly to Sakura’s probe. “It was a long file.”

“Not much to say about myself. I’m from these parts, born and raised. I served most my life on the Green Avarice under a captain Allswell D’Tendswell.” He shrugged at the obvious pun in the name, “Captain Al had a strange sense of humor, and far reaching.” While the name Allswell lacked the vicious notoriety of Robinson, it had the same kind of old history to it. The Green Avarice had been a commerce raider in operation a few decades ago, during what might charitably be called the romantic age of piracy in the system. The positioning of Atalfa, Dmitri, and Feila in their orbits at that time had lent itself nicely to commerce raiding. Piracy was and would always be a dangerous, violent, often bloody affair, of course, whether the public romanticized it or not.

“Spent most of my life on that ship, eventually making first mate, even. Allswell was a good captain, he looked after his crew, we made some good money, but the system was changing. I could feel the shift in the wind. So could he, but the difference is I didn’t try to stand in its way, and that is why Robinson let me keep this,” he indicated his remaining natural eye, “when it was all over.” There was the briefest flash of regret in his normally stoic, dour expression. “Rest of the crew wasn’t so lucky, those what didn’t escape. No idea where Allswell is now, if he’s still alive…”

“Speaking of eyes,” he continued, eyeing Alfred with the glowing cybernetic one, “I know what you’re trying to do, otter, as clearly as if I was eyeing a status panel. This thing is no simple civie transmitter; it’s packed with the latest Feilan military transmission technology. You ain’t gonna throw up a simple EM field and block it. It’ll cut through that no problem.”

“The Agony’s computers are watching and listening to everything we do and say. That’s no secret. You’ve surely guessed it already. They’ll alert Robinson if we- if you- do anything unusual or unexpected. That’s why I’m here.”

Now he did look troubled, regretful. “I don’t like that: playing at being a crewman to spy on his ‘captain’. I like to think I remember what it means to be first mate, and my captain- any captain- whoever that is in the moment- deserves better. But its why I’m here, and there’s nothing to be done about it.”

Alden
Baron
United States of America

Post by Alden » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:48 pm

The otter frowned. "So... Robinson takes unwilling crew?" He scratches at his whiskers, pondering this. "Seems pretty low for any captain, let alone one who has a ship like that. Still, the captain a ship does not make."

"I really don't like any of this, but I suppose I can tolerate you.... unless you try anything funny." The otter grumbles, glaring at the bear, or at least trying to, which wasn't terribly easy considering he only had one eye himself. "This whole thing reeks of lack of information and misinformation, and I don't fully trust your captain's good intent, as much as I'd like to."

Alfred sighed, and glanced out a view port, and then took a seat, his webbed paw straying inside his coat for a brief moment before he shook his head and took it back out. "I really don't care for having to deal with people we have very limited information about, especially on Feila. At least in the outer territories, security forces wouldn't be so much of a consideration, but on the homeworld...... they might prove to be a major hassle.
"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:26 pm

Sakura listened to Ludolf as he inspected the weapons station, unsure if the grunts were those of approval or disapproval. When the bear answered her probe as to just how much he knew about her, it only left her frustrated and still wondering just how much he knew. The admission that it was a long file didn't exactly instil comfort.

She listened with some interest as Ludolf talked about himself. She hadn't really studied about piracy as she grew up, but in the murky grey areas she tended to find herself working there were names that came up from time to time. She recognized the Green Avarice, and Captain D'Tendswell. As Ludolf continued his story, Sakura found herself harboring some sympathy she didn't want to admit to.

She sighed as Ludolf effortlessly caught on to their plan to attempt to jam any signals the bear might be sending out, then emphasised that nothing she currently had on her ship would counter it.

She tilted her head a bit at Ludolf's expression as he confessed that he didn't necessarily agree with his current role. "Well..." She eventually replied. "We know what's going on, so for now I guess we just have to live with it." She admitted with no small amount of chagrin

She frowned a bit when Alfred implied that Ludolf was an unwilling member of Robinson's crew. "I don't think it's as much a matter of unwilling crew as pragmatic." She offered. She was glad that Alfred was willing to at least work with their current situation, though at his statement about Robinson's good intent she barked a short laugh. "I don't believe he has any 'good' intent." She commented, "and weather or not he continues to live up to his word has yet to be seen."

She nodded as Alfred mentioned not liking the lack of information they were currently facing. "Well, I'm hoping that the one we're going to see will be able to help fill in some of those information gaps." As she finished that statement, the sound of the big drive on the ship that had been slowly building as they spoke seemed to have plateaued. An alert flashed on her station, and with a smile she flipped a switch on her console. The ship quickly accelerated and shot off, once again at speeds that most ships could never match.

They sped toward Dmitri, or more specifically, one of it's many moons. They reached the small moon much more quickly than most would expect. As the ship approached the moon, Sakura brought them back down to more normal speeds. As they continued their approach, a relatively small environment dome appeared on the surface, something one would expect for either a large homestead or small settlement. The dome seemed old, and poorly maintained but still intact. As the ship came close enough to begin making out details there was a moment where the ship lurched, and all the electronics flickered momentarily, and several alarms started going off. Sakura cursed as she flipped several switches on several different panels at her station. The ship dropped for a moment before Sakura grabbed her controls again and redirected the engine thrust to bring them down onto a landing pad.

It was pretty obvious that they had passed through some sort of EM field, but there was more to it than that. There was an energy beneath it that hung just at the edge of perception, but felt nearly tangible enough to reach out and grab. No signal of any kind could penetrate that barrier, even Ludolf's military grade hardware.

"Well..." Sakura said after taking a couple calming breaths. "That was interesting, let's go see if she's home." She continued as she set the ship into an auto shutdown routine. There was the faint sound from outside the ship of an attaching airlock as Sakura got up from her seat and headed for the ship's airlock. She shuddered a bit as she waited for the panel next to the door to confirm that the link was pressurized, and it was safe to step out. "Is it just me, or does it feel weird here?" She asked her companions before she opened the door and stepped out into the corridor that led into the dome.

Past the airlock, and into the dome proper, it seemed almost like they were walking into a jungle. large leaved plants grew everywhere, leaves reaching up to the inside edge of the dome. The leaves of the plants blocked out nearly all of the light coming from outside, but occasionally one of the plants had a dim light attached to it. The lights seemed to be prescribing a path through the foliage that led toward the center of the domed enclosure, and to a stairway that led underground.

((I wasn't really sure just how far to go with this, I could take it out to meeting their contact, let me know if you think I should add more))

Sade
Dysuhlian >:C
Species: Toaster

Post by Sade » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:44 pm

(Looks fine to me! I think we should get to the meeting soon, though.)

Ludolf frowned. He had been pragmatic about it once. These days it didn’t matter how he felt. He was as much a prisoner as these two would soon be. The only difference between his status and the rest of the so-called unwilling crew was that he had been left his free will with which to really see and feel what they were doing.

And that is why he was startled when all those cheerful green indicators in the periphery of his cybernetically enhanced vision winked out or turned red one after the other in rapid succession. His eye had lost connection with the Black Agony. This was the first time in over eleven years that he had not been under constant surveillance.

Eleven years… had it really only been eleven years? It seemed an eternity.

During the approach to the dome he donned his usual boarding attire. It had the outward appearance of what a 20th century fur might mistake for brown leather, complimented by various buckles and accouterments of a modern piratical persuasion. In reality the outfit was a kind of synthetic molecular armor designed to offer some decent protection without sacrificing too much mobility. Sakura did not appear to expect trouble. This was a business visit, after all. A pirate learns to always expect trouble, especially during a business visit.

He joined his two temporary compatriots in the ship’s airlock, cinching down the last of his buckles and straps.

“Is it just me, or does it feel weird here?”

The bear considered, but nothing felt out of the ordinary to him, physically. He did not mention that he’d lost his connection to Robinson. The eye would continue to record everything it observed and transmit it once that connection was restored. Unless he decided to take action. He shifted slightly, just enough to feel the reassuring edges of the ripper pistol against the small of his back, beneath his jacket.

Ludolf peered around the interior of the dome. He’d been to abandoned domes where surviving plants had taken over, but this one seemed to be intentionally cultivated. It wasn’t overgrown, per se. If not for so many other factors, he might have found this place pleasant. There certainly wasn’t anything like this on the Agony.

He followed Sakura and Alfred toward the center of the dome, eyes shifting, ever-watchful for danger.