Welcome to the World of Feila!

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

Seeking Fortune

Feilans have finally entered the realm of space in their solar system, a vast area, full of exotic planets and phenomena. The colonies created by the old Edwinish Party have developed into a new faction, the Dmitrians, whom are descended from Feilans, but whom have developed a separate cultural identity from their colonial forefathers. At the edge of the system lurks the formidable faction known as the Immortals, a group of furs whom have used technology to live forever, in a constant state of hostility with Feila and Dmitri, both of whom are on tense enough relations as it is. All natives are furry (Skin Avian are present here too). No native humans.
Asyriel
God
United States of America

Re: Seeking Fortune

Post by Asyriel » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:25 pm

Sakura nodded at Alfred. "Regardless of what function it originally served, it looked pretty broken to me in that holo." She paused for a moment. "I think we're going to have to pay these religious fanatics a visit at some point. I'd like to know just how a broken ancient artifact is going to help them leave the solar system."

She nodded as the subject of Ludolf was brought up. "I'm not a big fan of it either." She replied before shrugging at the comment about cybernetics. "Cybernetics aren't that uncommon. I mean, most furs tend to go with gene editing now days, but there are still a lot of them out there with some sort of cybernetics." She chuckled briefly. "Though I definitely agree that it's no reason not to err on the side of caution. Checking for unusual signals couldn't hurt, and we should definitely keep an eye on him. Make no mistake that he is here to keep an eye on us."

She sat heavily in her seat at the ship's controls before responding to Alfred's question. "I've seen that holo of the artifact somewhere before. The one who hired be to get that chip. I think we need to pay her a visit first. She may know something about it. Something that Robinson either didn't know, or neglected to tell us." She paused for a moment, pulling up a set of coordinates for a Dmitrian moon on her console and sending them to Alfted's statio. "After that, I'd like to meet with the religious fanatics. Weather Robinson would consider it sating idle curiosity or not, I'm not going through all this effort without knowing their story."

A few minutes later, Ludolf made his way into the cockpit, and Sakura looked up at his question. "You'll take the weapons station should we run into any need for it. You're welcome to familiarize yourself with the systems. Station's right up that ladder." She said before pointing to the ladder that lead to the weapons station. "Otherwise, you're welcome to occupy the open seat over here." She pointed to the empty seat across from Alfred. "We're about to set course for a previous engagement that I would prefer to keep before moving on to more recent obligations." She finished setting the course into the ship's computers before setting the ship back into motion under ordinary propulsion while the big drive warmed up again. "Perhaps you'd like to tell us a bit about yourself. It seems you were likely privy to all sorts of information about me already

Sponsor

Sade
Dysuhlian >:C
Species: Toaster

Post by Sade » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:09 am

The bear climbed the ladder to the weapons station and hefted himself into the seat with a grunt. He grunted again on inspection of his surroundings; while the ship had certainly accumulated its fair wear and tear, everything in it was efficiently and sensibly laid out, and this station was no exception. Ludolf didn’t know anything about designing ships, but he’d acquired an eye for it from years of operating them. He had easy access to the controls he would need the most, and while some weren’t where he’d want them there was still a logic to their placement. He spent a few minutes checking things over, and a little while longer pivoting the railguns and missile pods around, observing their range of motion and noting their blindspots, before climbing back down to the cockpit and taking his seat across from Alfred.

“I read your file,” he replied shortly to Sakura’s probe. “It was a long file.”

“Not much to say about myself. I’m from these parts, born and raised. I served most my life on the Green Avarice under a captain Allswell D’Tendswell.” He shrugged at the obvious pun in the name, “Captain Al had a strange sense of humor, and far reaching.” While the name Allswell lacked the vicious notoriety of Robinson, it had the same kind of old history to it. The Green Avarice had been a commerce raider in operation a few decades ago, during what might charitably be called the romantic age of piracy in the system. The positioning of Atalfa, Dmitri, and Feila in their orbits at that time had lent itself nicely to commerce raiding. Piracy was and would always be a dangerous, violent, often bloody affair, of course, whether the public romanticized it or not.

“Spent most of my life on that ship, eventually making first mate, even. Allswell was a good captain, he looked after his crew, we made some good money, but the system was changing. I could feel the shift in the wind. So could he, but the difference is I didn’t try to stand in its way, and that is why Robinson let me keep this,” he indicated his remaining natural eye, “when it was all over.” There was the briefest flash of regret in his normally stoic, dour expression. “Rest of the crew wasn’t so lucky, those what didn’t escape. No idea where Allswell is now, if he’s still alive…”

“Speaking of eyes,” he continued, eyeing Alfred with the glowing cybernetic one, “I know what you’re trying to do, otter, as clearly as if I was eyeing a status panel. This thing is no simple civie transmitter; it’s packed with the latest Feilan military transmission technology. You ain’t gonna throw up a simple EM field and block it. It’ll cut through that no problem.”

“The Agony’s computers are watching and listening to everything we do and say. That’s no secret. You’ve surely guessed it already. They’ll alert Robinson if we- if you- do anything unusual or unexpected. That’s why I’m here.”

Now he did look troubled, regretful. “I don’t like that: playing at being a crewman to spy on his ‘captain’. I like to think I remember what it means to be first mate, and my captain- any captain- whoever that is in the moment- deserves better. But its why I’m here, and there’s nothing to be done about it.”

Alden
Baron
United States of America

Post by Alden » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:48 pm

The otter frowned. "So... Robinson takes unwilling crew?" He scratches at his whiskers, pondering this. "Seems pretty low for any captain, let alone one who has a ship like that. Still, the captain a ship does not make."

"I really don't like any of this, but I suppose I can tolerate you.... unless you try anything funny." The otter grumbles, glaring at the bear, or at least trying to, which wasn't terribly easy considering he only had one eye himself. "This whole thing reeks of lack of information and misinformation, and I don't fully trust your captain's good intent, as much as I'd like to."

Alfred sighed, and glanced out a view port, and then took a seat, his webbed paw straying inside his coat for a brief moment before he shook his head and took it back out. "I really don't care for having to deal with people we have very limited information about, especially on Feila. At least in the outer territories, security forces wouldn't be so much of a consideration, but on the homeworld...... they might prove to be a major hassle.
"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:26 pm

Sakura listened to Ludolf as he inspected the weapons station, unsure if the grunts were those of approval or disapproval. When the bear answered her probe as to just how much he knew about her, it only left her frustrated and still wondering just how much he knew. The admission that it was a long file didn't exactly instil comfort.

She listened with some interest as Ludolf talked about himself. She hadn't really studied about piracy as she grew up, but in the murky grey areas she tended to find herself working there were names that came up from time to time. She recognized the Green Avarice, and Captain D'Tendswell. As Ludolf continued his story, Sakura found herself harboring some sympathy she didn't want to admit to.

She sighed as Ludolf effortlessly caught on to their plan to attempt to jam any signals the bear might be sending out, then emphasised that nothing she currently had on her ship would counter it.

She tilted her head a bit at Ludolf's expression as he confessed that he didn't necessarily agree with his current role. "Well..." She eventually replied. "We know what's going on, so for now I guess we just have to live with it." She admitted with no small amount of chagrin

She frowned a bit when Alfred implied that Ludolf was an unwilling member of Robinson's crew. "I don't think it's as much a matter of unwilling crew as pragmatic." She offered. She was glad that Alfred was willing to at least work with their current situation, though at his statement about Robinson's good intent she barked a short laugh. "I don't believe he has any 'good' intent." She commented, "and weather or not he continues to live up to his word has yet to be seen."

She nodded as Alfred mentioned not liking the lack of information they were currently facing. "Well, I'm hoping that the one we're going to see will be able to help fill in some of those information gaps." As she finished that statement, the sound of the big drive on the ship that had been slowly building as they spoke seemed to have plateaued. An alert flashed on her station, and with a smile she flipped a switch on her console. The ship quickly accelerated and shot off, once again at speeds that most ships could never match.

They sped toward Dmitri, or more specifically, one of it's many moons. They reached the small moon much more quickly than most would expect. As the ship approached the moon, Sakura brought them back down to more normal speeds. As they continued their approach, a relatively small environment dome appeared on the surface, something one would expect for either a large homestead or small settlement. The dome seemed old, and poorly maintained but still intact. As the ship came close enough to begin making out details there was a moment where the ship lurched, and all the electronics flickered momentarily, and several alarms started going off. Sakura cursed as she flipped several switches on several different panels at her station. The ship dropped for a moment before Sakura grabbed her controls again and redirected the engine thrust to bring them down onto a landing pad.

It was pretty obvious that they had passed through some sort of EM field, but there was more to it than that. There was an energy beneath it that hung just at the edge of perception, but felt nearly tangible enough to reach out and grab. No signal of any kind could penetrate that barrier, even Ludolf's military grade hardware.

"Well..." Sakura said after taking a couple calming breaths. "That was interesting, let's go see if she's home." She continued as she set the ship into an auto shutdown routine. There was the faint sound from outside the ship of an attaching airlock as Sakura got up from her seat and headed for the ship's airlock. She shuddered a bit as she waited for the panel next to the door to confirm that the link was pressurized, and it was safe to step out. "Is it just me, or does it feel weird here?" She asked her companions before she opened the door and stepped out into the corridor that led into the dome.

Past the airlock, and into the dome proper, it seemed almost like they were walking into a jungle. large leaved plants grew everywhere, leaves reaching up to the inside edge of the dome. The leaves of the plants blocked out nearly all of the light coming from outside, but occasionally one of the plants had a dim light attached to it. The lights seemed to be prescribing a path through the foliage that led toward the center of the domed enclosure, and to a stairway that led underground.

((I wasn't really sure just how far to go with this, I could take it out to meeting their contact, let me know if you think I should add more))

Sade

Post by Sade » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:44 pm

(Looks fine to me! I think we should get to the meeting soon, though.)

Ludolf frowned. He had been pragmatic about it once. These days it didn’t matter how he felt. He was as much a prisoner as these two would soon be. The only difference between his status and the rest of the so-called unwilling crew was that he had been left his free will with which to really see and feel what they were doing.

And that is why he was startled when all those cheerful green indicators in the periphery of his cybernetically enhanced vision winked out or turned red one after the other in rapid succession. His eye had lost connection with the Black Agony. This was the first time in over eleven years that he had not been under constant surveillance.

Eleven years… had it really only been eleven years? It seemed an eternity.

During the approach to the dome he donned his usual boarding attire. It had the outward appearance of what a 20th century fur might mistake for brown leather, complimented by various buckles and accouterments of a modern piratical persuasion. In reality the outfit was a kind of synthetic molecular armor designed to offer some decent protection without sacrificing too much mobility. Sakura did not appear to expect trouble. This was a business visit, after all. A pirate learns to always expect trouble, especially during a business visit.

He joined his two temporary compatriots in the ship’s airlock, cinching down the last of his buckles and straps.

“Is it just me, or does it feel weird here?”

The bear considered, but nothing felt out of the ordinary to him, physically. He did not mention that he’d lost his connection to Robinson. The eye would continue to record everything it observed and transmit it once that connection was restored. Unless he decided to take action. He shifted slightly, just enough to feel the reassuring edges of the pistol against the small of his back, beneath his jacket.

Ludolf peered around the interior of the dome. He’d been to abandoned domes where surviving plants had taken over, but this one seemed to be intentionally cultivated. It wasn’t overgrown, per se. If not for so many other factors, he might have found this place pleasant. There certainly wasn’t anything like this on the Agony.

He followed Sakura and Alfred toward the center of the dome, eyes shifting, ever-watchful for danger.

Alden
Baron
United States of America

Post by Alden » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:39 pm

The otter paused for a moment in the door frame, cautiously looking about the room. "Huh.... seems like these plants might be the remains of one of the more archaic oxygen systems." He remarks, slipping his right paw closer to the grip of his gyrojet. "Say, Ludolf..... do you have any visual sensors besides the main artificial eye? Anything in other wavelengths?" He asks."If ya do, I'd certainly appreciate you having a look around for any more obvious traps or people hiding in here. I can only see so much ya know."

Alfred resumed walking, actually taking the lead from Sakura. After walking some distance further in, he paused, and tapped his helmet. "Give me a moment and I'll check if the air in here is still breathable." He pulled out a small box from a pouch on the front of his more blatantly armor-plated suit, and glanced down at it, checking the readings. "There's at least some oxygen in here still, but I don't fully trust this thing. It's quite old and hasn't had a new battery in years. Either of you have a newer meter?"
"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
I will face my fear.

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:21 pm

Sakura shrugged at her Alfred's suggestion at the plants' purpose. "That or she's an avid gardener." She replied with a chuckle. as she continued to lead the way through the dome toward the stairs in the middle. "There's a newer meter on the ship, but considering someone lives here, I think we're probably safe." She told Alfred. She couldn't shake the strange feeling that there was an unusual energy filling the dome. She scanned around carefully as they got closer to the stairs, just before she set foot down on the first step.

As they crossed the threshold into the stairwell, a dome affixed to the wall began to glow. The dome seemed to be mostly filled with a liquid that emitted a blue-white glow, and got brighter as they got closer to it. As they passed the first light, it began to dim, and another further down the stairway began to glow and brighten.

The lights revealed that the stairs, and area underground seemed to be much more well maintained than the dome itself. The stairs ended in a large room carved directly from the stone of the moon. Spheres of the same glowing liquid hung from the ceiling, lighting the room filled with various pieces of machinery, many of them looking like they dated back to the first colony ships sent off Feila. Others looked like they had no practical purpose, these ones seemed to be covered in engravings of some ancient language.

At the end of the room opposite the stairwell, was a heavy blast door. Sakura led the group to the door. Next to the door was a simple intercom system, and Sakura hit the button and spoke. "Hello, It's Sakura. I need to update you on the job you gave me." There was a pause before a feminine voice floated out of the speaker in response.
"Oh? Well, come in then."

The blast door opened into what seemed to be a living space, though it was strewn with tools, and various objects that were likely parts of a larger whole. A female dragon/dog hybrid stepped into the the room from another side room. She was nearly as tall as Sakura, had silver colored eyes and white hair, and exuded a quiet confidence.
"Looks like you've picked up a couple tagalongs since we spoke last." She said cheerfully to Sakura as she looked over Alfred and Ludolf. She raised an eyebrow slightly as she noticed the obvious differences between Sakura's companions as well as Ludolf's cybernetics.
"And I'm sure there's quite the story behind it too. My name is Lenares" She said the last to Alfred and Ludolf. As she turned her attention to the room they were in, she gave a slight 'humph' sound before she spoke again. "So, what was your update?" She asked as she started picking tools and parts off of a couch, and tossing them aside.
"Feel free to have a seat." She said with a toothy grin once there was some space cleared on the couch. "Want anything to drink?" She asked as if this group were the first visitors she'd had in some time.

"Ahm, thank you." Sakura replied before gingerly taking a seat as if she expected something to come up through the cushion and poke her. "So..." She paused for a moment before deciding to just get it over with. "I lost the chip." She blurted before sighing, and looking down at her hands in her lap. "I surrendered it to save my ship, and our hides." As she said the last bit she looked over at Alfred.

Lenares watched Sakura as she explained about the chip, then frowned slightly before looking at Ludolf. "Hmm, well, that's certainly a shame. I thought you had one of the fastest ships in the system."

Sakura sighed again. "Emphasis on one of. The one that caught up with us managed to get a drive system like the one I have." She explained.

Lenares frowned a bit more. "Well, that is a shame. Luckily I think I have a backup for that chip somewhere...well not quite as polished a copy. Hmm." She stuck the middle knuckle of one of her fingers in her mouth while she thought. Eventually she shook her head as if dismissing whatever train of thought she was on, and spoke again. "Well, I appreciate that you had the courtesy to let me know what was going on. I hope you're not expecting the rest of the payment for the job though."

Sakura shook her head, still looking down at her hands, and sniffed a bit before looking back up at Lenares. "No, but I was hoping I could ask you for some information about something."

Lenares raised an eyebrow "Oh? That depends on the information you want, and the payment you have." She replied with a slight smile.

Sakura looked up at Alfred and Ludolf as if she were seeking input.

Sakura's companions may not have noticed initially, but if they were of the observant type, they may have begun to notice that there were a lot of subtle similarities between Sakura and Lenares. These were things that may be considered familial; things like eye shape, build and body structure, shape and sweep of their horns, and likely more if there were more skin to be seen.

Sade

Post by Sade » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:10 pm

Ludolf grunted agreement, “Aye, if all she cared was for oxygen, they’ve had algae systems a hundredth the size of this place for more than a century.” The bear had seen some of those himself in times past; old stuff left over from Yamaha’s efforts to colonize Atalfa and its moons. “This all looks tended to.”

“I’m seeing lots of compartments and spaces behind the bulkheads,” he said in response to Alfred, “but that’s not unusual for construction like this.” He frowned to himself. He wasn’t seeing much of anything else he’d expect to, though; cameras, sensor beams, and things of the like that his eye could detect. If he’d been living here he’d want to keep an eye on things. He’d have some kind of security. It was conspicuously absent up here, yet the further they went the more he got the impression they were being watched somehow. Sakura had been right; this place did feel strange.

In younger years he might have spent his time adding up the value of the machines he saw as they descended deeper into and beneath the structure. Some of this stuff would fetch quite a bit on the black market. He couldn’t begin to guess the nature of the more arcane artifacts, but he was sure there were collectors out there who’d be interested. That sort of stuff wasn’t so important to him anymore, though, and Robinson wouldn’t care either. The old wolf was thinking so much bigger.

The woman they were meeting was a surprise. Ludolf hadn’t seen many reptile-mammal hybrids. He was given to understand they were expensive. Mammal hybrids went back to antiquity, but reptile-mammal children had been nearly unheard-of until sometime in the 21st century. A dragon-mammal hybrid was even more unusual because dragons were unusual; Sakura was the first dragon Ludolf had seen in person. He wondered if the scarcity of her kind made her lonely.

When offered a seat he remained standing from force of habit. Sakura was his captain, temporary or not, and it would be inappropriate to lower his guard while they were off the ship. He met the hybrid’s gaze but maintained a very Ludolf-like silence as the two of them conversed. He didn’t have anything to say when Sakura looked to him and Alfred for input. He wasn’t sure what she wanted.

The bear paid no mind to any similarity between the two women. He wasn’t used to thinking that way, and the hybrid nature of the other woman threw him off further. He wasn’t one to make assumptions about peoples relations either, and Sakura wasn’t treating this new female like family.

Alden
Baron
United States of America

Post by Alden » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:20 pm

The otter followed Sakura's lead, and took a seat next to her. However, he wasn't quite so careful, and ended up sitting on a stray bolt. Alfred winced, and tossed the offending part over with the hybrid's tools before assuming a more dignified posture and beginning to listen intently to the women's conversation. He discretely looked their host over, up and down, beginning to notice the similarities between she and Sakura. He didn't remark on it for now, but decided he'd ask her about it later.

As Alfred listened to the conversation, he started to look about at all the ancient machinery, and his tail started to wag a little. He grinned, and twisted, looking around at the old writing on the walls. He'd have to check through this stuff later if he was able. Perhaps their host would be open to him buying some of the old junk.....The otter shook his head, and resumed his more proper posture and returned to listening. He hoped he hadn't missed much during his brief period of distraction.
"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
I will face my fear.

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:43 pm

Sakura gave a small sigh when her companions added nothing to the conversation. Of course, she couldn't blame them for being silent. It wasn't like she'd actually asked for them to speak up.

She turned her attention back to Lenares with a small frown, and spoke again. "There's an object that I'm looking for..." She started as she loaded the data chip Robinson had given them into her wrist com. A moment later, the image of the artifact that Robinson had showed them materialized. "It's an ancient artifact from Feila. I was hoping you might know something about it." She finished.

Lenares was quick to hide her initial shock at seeing the image, but a keen observer could have caught it. "And what exactly makes you think I'd know anything about it?" She asked with a slight frown.

Sakura gave a slightly embarrassed chuckle. "I caught a glimpse of an image of it in one of our previous calls." She admitted with a little sheepishness

"Why on Feila would you want to know about it though?" Lenares asked before shaking her head. "What do you want to know about it?" She asked

Sakura hesitated a moment before speaking. "Well, mostly where to find it. Maybe just what it is if you know." She paused. "I don't really have anything to offer in payment though..."

Lenares flashed a predatory grin that would have done the draconic side of her family proud. "Oh, well I'm willing to take payment in the form of a future favor." She held out a hand. The energy in the room seemed to change a bit as the hybrid held out her hand.

Sakura looked at her companions for a moment before shrugging. "Ok, I suppose....as long as it's something I'm actually capable of doing." She replied as she took hold of Lenares' hand and shook it. She felt like some sort of slow moving shock ran up her arm and dispersed into her body. The feeling made her shudder a moment before Lenares let go of her hand.

"Good." Lenares said in satisfied tones. "And don't worry, I'll find you when I'm ready to collect." She told the dragon before relaxing again. "That object is an ancient arcane artifact. A product of alchemy called the magicapacitor. Last I know of it, my mother hid it somewhere under the old Odell Group headquarters in Edwin. If you're looking for it, you're better off finding her, and asking her. Good luck convincing her to tell you how to get to it or part with it though."

Sakura frowned as she tried to place the Odell Group. Her eyes widened for a moment though as something from her history lessons came through, and she realized just how long ago what Lenares was talking about potentially was. "So, I need to find your mother?" she asked.

Lenares smiled again. "Yes, her name is Freya, and as far as I know she still live on Feila. Best of luck. I don't know what you plan on doing with that broken old thing. It's not worth much as anything but an antiquity." She commented before heading toward the blast door and opening it. "Now, if there's nothing else, I have work to catch up on now." She announced as an obvious dismissal. "If you come up with more questions, feel free to contact me."

Sakura took the hint, and got up from her seat on the couch and headed toward the door. "Thank you." She replied as she waved for her companions to follow, and stepped through. As soon as they were all on the other side of the blast door, it slammed shut. The feeling of being watched didn't go away though, if anything it was stronger.

"Well, that's a much more first hand account I suppose." Sakura commented as she led the way through the large underground room again, and toward the ship. "We have a place and a person. I'd like to know why the religious nuts want it now."

Sade

Post by Sade » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:11 pm

Ludolf’s eyes narrowed. He was always watching people for slight twitches and tells- anything that would help him anticipate the kind of backstabbing and turncoat politics endemic to piracy of all eras- and so he readily caught the hybrid female’s shock at seeing the artifact. His dour expression deepened. He wasn’t a huge fan of secrets. They made his life more difficult, as inescapable as they were. In his more introspective moments he was able to see the irony of that.

Alchemy and magic were nothing but fairytales. He’d seen some strange stuff out in the system, but nothing he’d call supernatural. Whatever the true nature of the artifact, their employers wanted it and were willing to pay a great deal for it. That is all that mattered in the end, though, sometimes Ludolf wondered…

The bear was silent while they moved back through the structure. Something about this place felt wrong to him, for all that it was serene, and he couldn’t shake the feeling of eyes following them. It wouldn’t have felt right to discuss details of their contract here. “She’s hiding something,” Ludolf stated gruffly when they reached the ship. “She was surprised to see the artifact. Maybe startled, even.” He frowned, “this is starting to smell like a trap… I hate traps…”

“Our employers- the religious fanatics- want to meet their god or gods or whatever, and they think it’ll help them do that somehow. Robinson told you that already.” The bear took his seat across from Alfred and keyed in a series of coordinates. If the captain wanted to meet the religious fundamentalists, well, at least it wasn’t too far out of the way. The coordinates lay in the Felicis Asteroid Belt.

The Black Agony flew in formation with other pirate ships for the first time in a generation. There were dozens of them, with dozens more on their way. They could all smell the change on the wind now, and they wouldn’t turn down an invitation by Robinson. If they’d been singled out, sure, they would have avoided this place like the plague. But inviting every pirate in the system was no way to stab a single one in the back. Whatever he was up to, he meant business, not murder.

The big old wolf sat hunched in a suitably black, unfriendly-looking captain’s chair like a mad gothic throne, gazing at the younger gnarled face on the screen. Bloodfang. He sneered at the name. Pirates these days had it all wrong. A name was not meant to be fearsome in of itself, it was meant to be made fearsome by the actions of its namesake. He had made people fear the name Robinson. He created that fear himself. The wolf couldn’t afford to ignore the man, though. Bloodfang had a large, modern ship, and a large capable crew. “Are you in or not,” he growled.

The hyena-mammal-hybrid-mutt-of-some-kind rubbed his chin, “I don’t know, Robinson.”

“The others have already agreed,” the wolf pressed. “Don’t waste my time man. You’re either in or out.”

The hyena looked skeptical.

“I am about to make a breakthrough that will change everything, Bloodfang. I can make this happen without you if I must. You really don’t want your cut?”

“Well, captain, its just I’ve heard from an old friend of yours recently, and Allswell had some pretty convincing arguments that you’re completely batshit insane.”

Robinson slammed his cybernetic fist into the chair’s armrest, “that old fool’s living in the past! He’s a relic! A nothing! So much putrefying FLOATSOME!” He heaved himself from his chair and stalked back and forth, fuming. Allswell was alive!? By god, what would it take to keep that feline dead!? He wheeled around on the comm screen, “listen carefully, Bloodfang. I grow tired of your reticence. I have assembled the greatest pirate fleet in history. If you will not fly in it, you will fly against it, alone. Why don’t you take a few minutes to weigh your odds in such a contest. Think carefully.” The wolf flicked off the comm channel and lowered himself back into his chair. He steepled his metallic fingers and glared over them at the fleet arrayed on his view screens.

(I know there isn't much to go on here, but it was getting late and I've had a lot of work to do. I'll move things along to the religious nuts next posting cycle)

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:44 pm

Sakura frowned when Ludolf mentioned that Lenares was hiding something. "It's possible that she is, likely I suppose." She was quiet for a moment as Ludolf mentioned the hybrid's surprise. "It would be nice to know why she was surprised, but I doubt she's going to share." She sighed. "Unless you have some sort of insight into it." Ludolf mentioned the feeling of a trap, and Sakura couldn't help the helpless laugh that escaped her. "This whole thing has felt like a trap from the beginning to me." she told the bear before sighing.

She rolled her eyes as Ludolf reiterated the reason Robinson had given for the religious nuts wanting the ancient broken device. "Fine, then I want to know how they think that broken piece of antiquity is going to help them get to their gods, and just who those gods are." As they spoke, the ship began running through startup sequences, despite the fact that none of them had physically touched any of the controls yet. "Either way, they're a variable that's still a mystery. I prefer to know as much about a job as I can before I take it....sadly in this case I wasn't afforded the opportunity. It doesn't mean I don't still want to know as much as I can about what I've been dragged into." She explained before she made her way into the cockpit. "So, next stop religious fanatics." She finished as she sat down at her station and took hold of the ships controls.

A deft manipulation of the ship's controls, and they were heading off again. As they left, it seemed that the barrier they had passed through on the way in had either disappeared, or Sakura had compensated for it on the way out. They were on the move again, the next leg in their journey, making their way to wherever the religious fanatics chose to set up their meeting.

Sade

Post by Sade » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:34 pm

They entered a denser region of the asteroid belt and made for a largish asteroid, a great stone in space a couple tens of kilometers across. Its surface was pockmarked with innumerable craters, some from impacts by smaller asteroids, others caused by weapons fire. It wasn’t that anyone wanted this particular rock, but this was the Felicis Asteroid Belt. It was the poorly defined and endlessly contested boundary between Feilan and Dimitrian space. The whole belt was one vast minefield, littered with hidden weaponry stationed there in preparation for a war which may never come. Few prospectors ventured far into the belt, for fear of triggering one of these hidden weapons systems, and transiting spacecraft stuck to specific corridors where safe(ish) passage had been established. The Belt was a great place to hide.

As they approached, Ludolf transmitted a coded message; a simple sequence of numbers. Almost immediately the Inari’s readouts showed that they were being scanned from somewhere, but the precise source couldn’t be pinned down. The energy signature seemed to be coming from every direction simultaneously. After a few minutes the asteroid transmitted a coded message in response, which Ludolf explained was an invitation to enter the asteroid. He gave Sakura the coordinates of a concealed docking bay.

The entrance led down into the asteroid and was very well disguised, but beyond the doors it was just like any mundane docking bay; a big empty space with trusses, ports, and metal walls. It was littered with ships of various makes and sizes, mostly smaller vessels similar to the Inari’s size, a few larger freighters. The asteroid hardly exerted any gravity at all, so most of the ships were simply tethered to the walls. One of the docking ports became active, rings of indicator lights sweeping out to in, out to in, an obvious invitation. The port was plenty strong to hold the Inari in place against the minuscule gravity.

Beyond the docking port was a short corridor opening into a plain grey room with another door on the far side and a table with chairs in the center. This interior space had the usual feilan style artificial gravity.

Aside from being well hidden, nothing about this place looked out of the ordinary. It looked like any other asteroid base; mundane. The three things that entered through that far door were the first deviation from this. They were obviously powered armors, which isn’t too strange in of itself, but each one had a cobbled-together, haphazard appearance. They looked almost like they were assembled from random junk, and yet there was some kind of method to the madness, like the odds and ends and mismatched parts were there for ornamentation. A lot of it looked worn out, but paradoxically also very carefully maintained so that the wear did not impede its functioning. The occupants were completely hidden from view. And no two of the armors was even remotely similar in appearance.

The armor standing in the center spoke. “Robinson said you might come,” a surprisingly high-pitched voice that seemed quite mismatched to the armors bulk emanated from a speaker near its shoulder. “Please sit,” it continued as the three armors lowered themselves onto sturdy seats, “Ludolf, you may remain standing if you like.”

The bear grunted and did so. The captain always sits; the first mate always stands at the ready, just in case.

“You have questions,” said the powered armor on the left, its voice also unusually high-pitched, “what would you like to know?”

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:52 pm

((Alden, I'm not sure if you plan on continuing in this RP. For now I'm going to continue under the assumption that your character is just kinda hanging out silently in the background for now.))

Sakura wasn't sure what she had been expecting from what amounted in her mind to be a religious cult; it definitely wasn't what the reality turned out to be. The base itself was about as mundane as it could get. In a strange way, she was a little disappointed. Docking Inari was done quickly and easily. She had to give them credit for that much; even with a number of ships in the bay, it was organized enough to make the process simple.

She released a small sigh as they traveled through the corridor, and into the boring room. Her entire demeanor changed though when their hosts entered. She perked up, her ears and eyebrows raised, and she tilted her head slightly as she inspected the armor they wore. At first glance, the powered armors seemed like something thrown together out of spare parts. When she looked closer though, she noticed that it was deliberate. It seemed they either had a thing for looking cobbled together, or they hoped the appearance would lead to an underestimation; perhaps both.

When the first one spoke, she nearly laughed. Instead, she lightly bit her lower lip and gave a slight nod before she sat down, leaving her crewmates to sit or stand at their own discretion. The incongruity between the armors, and the voices they emitted had Sakura wondering if there were furs inside the armors at all. She didn't doubt for a moment though that everything about this meeting was purposely done, and likely meant to throw her off balance.

"I do." She replied as she put her forearms on the table and leaned forward. She flashed a toothy smile before she spoke again. "Robinson enlisted my services in retrieving an artifact for you. I suppose I'd just like to try to figure out just what I've gotten myself into. My main two questions are: how is this ancient broken device going to help you get to your deity, and who is that deity?" She asked with genuine curiosity. She had probably half a dozen other questions that she would like to ask, and the answers to the two big ones would probably generate even more. For now though, she continued to lean on her arms and wait for the mismatched power armors with their mismatched voices to give some form of answer.

Alden
Baron
United States of America

Post by Alden » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:24 pm

(sorry, it's just been an incredibly hectic few weeks, and it'll stay that way for a while longer. It's probably best that you continue without me for a little while longer. )

:(
"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
I will face my fear.