Bells in the void part 2 (closed.)

Feilans have finally entered the realm of space in their solar system, a vast area, full of exotic planets and phenomena. The colonies created by the old Edwinish Party have developed into a new faction, the Dmitrians, whom are descended from Feilans, but whom have developed a separate cultural identity from their colonial forefathers. At the edge of the system lurks the formidable faction known as the Immortals, a group of furs whom have used technology to live forever, in a constant state of hostility with Feila and Dmitri, both of whom are on tense enough relations as it is. All natives are furry (Skin Avian are present here too). No native humans.
Catalina Tamiko
King
King
Species: Feline-Tiger/Panther

Re: Bells in the void part 2 (closed.)

Post by Catalina Tamiko »

Mort nodded softly. Comforted by her smile. After finishing his work he led her back to the quarters. He immediately went to the food. "Ok. Im going to pack some of this in a bag. Should last us at least a few days." As he set about putting pouches into a bag he motioned to a wall. "There is a medkit in that small access panel. And im going to download a copy of the ships emergency medical protocols. Basically its a field medic guide. We may need it if this line of work continues." As he finished putting food in the bag he set up a couple pouches to make their meals. Then he moved to a small access panel. Opening it he dimmed the lights in the room just enough they could still see.

"Alright. Now then. Lets have ourselves a meal and get a few hours sleep...." he said softly. He knew what to do. And that he was likely going to end up a criminal for life.
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

My Cast of critters. (INCOMPLETE) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6514

Sponsor

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Sakura nodded as Mort packed a bag of food, and she went over to grab the medkit. She carried it over to where Mort was packing up the food. She grinned at the mention of the medical protocols. "My ship's computer actually has a fairly comprehensive medical library. One of my former partners had ambitions toward the medical field. I kept copies of all the material we had gotten for him." She shrugged. "Of course, another source can't hurt." She added with a grin.

She sat down at the table with Mort to eat a meal. She hoped that Mort wasn't going to have any regrets about what they were about to do. After the pair ate, she laid down in her bunk to sleep. Sleep proved elusive for some time, but she eventually dozed.

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Mort found sleep easily enough. But he had fitful dreams. Finally the alarm clock woke him. He sat up and stretched. He then gqve Sakura a shake on the arm. "Hey. Its time. I'm going to get started. You head for your ship. You have ten minutes to get it fixed. After that I should be able to get there and finish off the last of the protocols. We can leave inside of.. 15 minutes. Just dont leave me behind." He picked up his tool kit and moved to the access panel behind his bunk. Opening thr hatch and working his way inside.

Slinking down inside the system he found his way to the panels he needed. Setting up his tools he began to tinker. This would easily be fixed. But he didnt want to just kill them. This vented the primary energy cells to space, discharging their power safely. The back ups would provide life support.
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Sakura was awake as soon as Mort gripped her arm. She sat bolt upright and nodded as Mort spoke. "Don't worry. I'm not going to leave you behind, that would just be ungrateful....not to mention a terrible thing to do." She replied "I'll have the ship warmed up and ready to go when you get there.

Sakura stepped out of their room, and started toward her ship. As she made her way toward the lift, she reached out with her telekinesis. She worked from well practiced memory as the undamaged fuel line snaked out of it's hiding place. She walked somewhat slowly though the ship, and wore an expression that suggested she was pretty sure she knew where she was going, just digging through her memories to remember the course.

As she rode the lift she was able to concentrate fully on what she was doing on her ship, and the damaged fuel line disconnected before the undamaged one moved into position and hooked up. Valves opened, and the ship was primed to start as soon as she was closer to it.

The lift opened into the cargo bay and she stepped out. With the hard work on her ship finished, she concentrated on the large crates in the bay. She walked up to one, and walked around the crate inspecting it as she did, making notes of any markings. Eventually She picked a crate at random, and used her telekinesis to lift it, and drag it along in her wake as she continued on toward her ship.

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Mort fairly snaked his way deep inside the shaft. Coming to a maintenance panel. He set his pistol aside and brought out his tool kit. As he began work he whispered silently. "Please. Let me be making the right choice." He set the system with a remote charge. And then punched in the codes. He looked at his watch. Just one minute to spare. He primed the charge and hit the switch. Scrambling away as he clutched his tool kit, he took a turn to a ladder that ran beside a lift shaft. Climbing down to the docking bay he looked at his watch. The lights suddenly went out. He scrambled out a hatch and slammed it shut. There was a shudder in the walls as the maintenance shafts were sealed off. Then the power core vented to space. The ship slowed to a stop and the emergency lights came on. The main systems failed to come back on. Mortain was sprinting toward the ship. "SAKURA!!!" He yelled as he heard ofhers coming as well. Then a gunshot. He staggered and kept running. But one arm hung limp. He yelled in pain. Blood dripping off his arm. He had been shot. He reached for his holster. Realization dawned on him. He had left the pistol in the shaft. He was unarmed and in the open running for a ship fhat was still twenty yards off.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Sakura had made it to her ship just as the core vented. She quickly double checked the repairs she had made as she settled the crate in the cargo bay of her ship. she went back down the ramp to wait for Mort as she telekinetically began the ships startup sequence.

Inari began humming to life as Mortian sprinted toward her. Sakura stood at the bottom of the cargo ramp as he yelled, wearing a manic grin. Projectiles whizzed past Mort on unerring paths to his assailants without any other indication that she had returned fire. She debated for a split second how to handle the situation before deciding to throw caution completely to the wind. With that decision, Mort was snagged by an unseen force, his feet lifted barely off the ground before he was pulled to Sakura far faster than he could ever have possibly run.

The cargo ramp was already closing as Mort was drug into the ship, and sakura ran toward the cockpit. "C'mon, no time to waste. If you're not mortally wounded, we can see to that once we're away." She called to him as she went. She was manipulating the controls before she even made it to her seat, the cargo ramp closing as she got her self seated, and the ship maneuvering toward a hasty exit.

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Mort was startled by being snatched up. He screamed, first thinging the access bay was being vented to space. Once on the ship he ran after her. Strapping himself into a random seat he tried to recognize the controls before him. With no idea what he was looking at he just gripped the chair tight.

Withnothing but a thin door between them and space mort whispered a silent prayer that the people chasing them had the sense to run back into the main ship before the door were opened. Recognising a communications set up he reached over and punched in the maintenance door codes. The main doors slowly opened. One unfortunate soul was blown out by the force of air moving.

In a moment they were in space. The ship sitting quiet and still behind them. "Ok lets go before they signal a ship for aid." He wasnt wounded to baddly thankfully. He was still wondering if he had made a devils bargain. It was now that something like a black hole opened up to their left. And from it a ship twice the size of a dreadnaught slid out. "Whaaaa....." mortain said. Comm signals opened on their own. "Thank you Sakura... we shall handle it from here. You will be contacted in a few days with another mission. Enjoy your payment until then."the same voice as the woman from before. The massive ship dwarfed even the cruiser they had fled from. It was at least three miles long and of an unearthly design. Almost... evil in shape and color. It attached a tether to the cruiser and pulled it into a side bay. "Who... what was that?!?" Mortain screamed.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Sakura was easily running a cockpit built for a crew of three, and some of the controls reflected an altered layout from what Mort would easily recognize. She had been about to use other means to open the bay doors when Mort entered the codes to get them open. She grinned at him. "Thank you" She said as she directed her ship out into space.

She had been about to punch the throttle to full when an enormous ship appeared from what one could perceive as nowhere. "Thank you very much, I'm glad the work done was to your liking." She replied cheerfully over the com channel. "If it's not too much to ask, would you be willing to extend the anonymity you promised me to my new crew member mort as well?" She asked, hoping she wasn't overstepping any bounds, but wanting to fulfil her promise to Mort. She offered him a small smile. "Our employer." She offered in response to his question.

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

There was a pause and something along the lines of a muffled chuckle. After a moment the wolfess spoke. "Certainly. I hope you enjoyed yourselves.... ta ta.." the comms softly turned off. Mortain stared at the masdige ship as it turned and reopened whatever hole it came from. Vanishing just as fast as it arrived. He cupped his arm and looked at the blood. Projectile was still lodged in his arm. He could feel it. "Carbonite Slug.... it must be a ricoche. If it had hit me first it would have torn my arm off...." he fumbled for his bag. Pulling out some wire he tied it off above the wound. "Ok... can we get out of here and get the bullet out of my arm please...?" He was frightened. Not of his new partner. Not of what they had just done. He wasnt even frightened of the massive ship. He was afraid of the most common cause of mortality. He was afraid to die.

He shakily unbuckled his belt and reached up. Pulling himself up. Space was wonderful. But he was used to the gravity generators of Fleet ships. This... as unbalanced as it was, comforted him. Not so uniform. More free. But the throbbing pain pulled his mind back to his arm. A bullet and likely impending infection. Mortain sighed and steadied his floating by holding a console.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Sakura grinned as her request was granted, and she watched the strange ship turn and disappear again. She turned her head briefly to look at Mort as he commented on the projectile lodged in his arm. She turned back to the controls, and started setting their course. She turned back to Mort and grinned as he asked if they could be on their way. "Of course" She replied cheerfully as her ship began picking up speed.

With their course set, she didn't have to worry about monitoring the controls too much, and could concentrate on more urgent matters. She unbuckled herself, and pushed off toward Mort. She moved gracefully in the zero gravity environment of her ship, as if it were second nature. She used her momentum, and telekinesis to keep course as she hooked an arm around Mort's waist, and pull him along into the living area of the ship. She snagged a med-kit from a cabinet, and pushed Mort down onto a stool in the small eating area. "all right, let's get you taken care of." She said as she pulled out a tube of cauterizing disinfectant.

She wasn't highly trained, but she knew enough to at least be effective. She cut away at Mort's sleeve to expose the wound before she examined it for a couple moments with a thoughtful look before she nodded to herself. She snaked her telekinesis into the wound to wrap around the projectile inside. Once she had hold of it, she gently pulled it from the wound, letting it float nearby. She was quick to use the cauterizing disinfectant. Once the bleeding was stopped, she pulled out some gauze. Using some gel, she cleaned the area around the wound. She then pulled another tube from the medical supplies. She rubbed some of the numbing agent from the tube in the wound, then shaved a small patch of fur around it before she pulled out a medical stapler to seal everything up.

A couple of staples to seal the wound, and then she started wrapping a bandage around his arm. "there we go." She said finally, still sounding quite cheerful. "should heal up pretty quick I think." She pronounced. "Probably ought to eat and drink something though....help replace the lost blood." She commented as she started cleaning up her medical supplies. "So, how does it feel, sweet freedom?" She asked

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Mort grit his teeth until the numbing agent was applied. Relaxing he sighed. "Well... now what?" He asked. His fur was bristled and sweaty. He waited until she was done to move. "I mean... where do we go now?"

He was new to this. Mercenary work was a bit beyond his scope of things. He was frightened. And kept pawing at his tail as he floated there.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Sakura gave a slight chuckle when Mort asked what was next, and where they would go. "well..." She started "that's really going to depend on what you want to do." She replied with a warm smile. "If you want to continue working with me, we'll probably head for New Hoshiruki, or the asteroids." She paused for a moment. "Of course, if you understandably don't want to continue on this path, I will uphold my promise. I will give you your credits, and take you to Dmitri. A nice quiet space port where you can get a feel for things, and get started on whatever new life you wish to make for yourself." Her smile widened enough to show off her teeth. "So, now I ask you...Now what? Do you want to stick around, or head for Dmitri?"

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Mortain didnt have to think. He responded easily. "I said i was with you. May as well tough it out. Though i would like to get somewhere we can bunk down for a day. Get some sleep and a meal." He knew it was her ship. He just wanted to sleep after this. The ferret unzipped the top of his jump suit snd pulled it down. Tying it at his waist he let out a sigh. His bare chest fur was sweaty and bristled up. His tail much the same. Anxiety. He let out a soft 'Dook' noise. A simple sound ferrets made from time to time.

He reached up and snagged the bullet that had come out of his arm. "Im surprised this didnt rip my arm off......" looking at her he whispered. "Wanna ooen that crate up now?"

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Sakura's answering smile was one of joyful gratitude that Mort had decided to stay along. She wrapped her arms around him in an enthusiastic hug. "all right then..." she said as she let go of him. "We'll head for New Hoshiruki. It's going to take some time to get there, but we've bunks and food aboard to hold us over. She watched with some interest as Mort pulled down his jump suit, her mind wandered a bit.

Mort asking her about the crate brought her back to reality. "Oh! Yes, let's open it. I'm curious as to what's inside." She said with a smile as she pushed herself toward said crate.

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

mort floated with her. Coming to the crate he gave it a once over. "Hermetically sealed, paw print identification, retinal scanning... they didnt want this thing opened before they were ready." He reached to his belt and brought out his tool kit. "I'll need a hand with this. You know anything about by passing a twin binary encryption code?" he asked as he moved to open the side panel where the circuits for the scanners were located." If all else fails I can just blow the hinges. But I dont want to leave a mess in your cargo hold."

Mort took his time in opening the panel. As he pulled it away he smiled. Auxiliary maintenance access ports everywhere. "We will need a computer with an access panel and possibly a few power tools. If nothing more i can just yank some wires out. It's going to take us an hour to get this thing open. but we can at least disarm any security devices inside it before then."