Welcome to the World of Feila!

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

Clockwork capers (Open - Edwin)

This is where all of the Age of Steam role-plays are archived.
zakorath
Duke
Species: Raccoon
Great Britain

Clockwork capers (Open - Edwin)

Post by zakorath » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:53 am

Once again Nikola was in yet another workshop putting the final touches to his latest clockwork creation. He lifted his goggles and stared at the pile of gears to his left. After a while he selected a large brass gear, and pulled his goggles back on; looking back at the robot, he put down two more magnifying glasses over his left eye, and placed the final gear in it's place.

He closed the back of the robot, and stood back to admire his creation. He wrapped his metal fingers around a lever in the robot's head, and took a deep breath before pulling it sharply down, and releasing the gears to move freely. The robot, which was slumped over, stood up straight, and turned to face it's creator. "It worked." Whispered Nikola. "It worked!" He yelled with exitement.

The robot slowly raised an arm, which promptly fell off, along with a whole load of gears and shafts from inside it. Nikola removed his gloves and threw them at the wall. "Another failure..." he sighed, and began picking up the fallen gears, when he was disturbed by a knock at the workshop door.

(OOC - Had some identity trouble before. My avatar is my medieval char, the one in this story is a Meerkat, not a Raccoon.)
Last edited by zakorath on Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor

FallenLeaf
Count
Species: Mephitis (Skunk)

Post by FallenLeaf » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:47 pm

Arcturus sighed as he stood outside the wooden door to the small workshop.Taking apart clocks to find the gears he needed for his tinkerings was rather tedious work, and he had come to this shop in hopes of buying some raw clockwork.
As the young white dog lifted his fist to knock upon the workshop door, he heard a yell, and a small crash from inside. This was followed by the obvious clattering of a clockwork machine being flung apart by its own power.
Arcturus lifted a brow. Slowly, he reached for the door, ready to knock once more. His knuckles were mere inches from the door, when he stopped, and perked a brow again, this time at the pair of gloves being thrown against the window.
For a moment, the canine considered walking away. He knew from experience that it was best to let inventors suffer their own failures and flying cog springs. But, against his better judgment, the dog reached for the door once again, pausing just as his knuckles took position.
Softly, Arcturus knocked on the door, which was answered by a meerkat, even younger than himself.
"Hello," said Arcturus, speaking slowly, as his Edwinish was boorish and sloppy at best, and many folks seemed unable to hear through his thick Domish accent.
"I... Came to buy some parts."
"A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones" ` Proverbs 17:22

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:05 pm

Nikola opened the door with handfulls of gears. He was surprised to get a visitor at all, but pleased none the less. "Come in. Excuse the mess." he said striding over the carcass of his creation. "I'll just be a second." He pulled off his goggles and shoved them in the drawer of his desk.

Nikola stood behind the workbench and began dismantling the wolf-like head of his robot, his metalic fingers clinking against the metal head. "Now then, what was it you were looking for?" He asked without looking up from his work. He was always a cheerful creature, except when his creations broke, which was quite often. The workshop was mostly full of broken parts of the robots he ahd built. He had been attempting to create a robot with a mind of it's won, a robot with soul. He had never accomplished this.

FallenLeaf
Count

Post by FallenLeaf » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Entering the meerkat's workshop, Arcturus' eyes darted about, taking in everything, which was quite a task considering the sheer quantity of trinkets and parts that were placed about the shop.
The snowy canine waited patiently as the meerkat set about disassembling what appeared to be a mechanical fur, although it seemed to be missing parts... Quite a few, in fact, which accounted for the crash Arcturus had heard from the doorstep.
"Now then, what was it you were looking for?" the inventor asked Arcturus, never once taking an eye off of his work. The canine's eyes were locked on the mechanical head as well, his curiosity piqued by the mere sight of it.
"Oh," replied Arcturus. "I need a box of quarter inch brass screws, a box of nails, and a few gears. I've also been looking for some kind of small piston system." As he spoke, he continued to eyeball the meerkat's work. Finally, curiousity got the best of him.
"What... What is it you've done here?" he asked, politely indicating the meerkat's creation with a wave of his hand.
"A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones" ` Proverbs 17:22

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:46 pm

Nikola looked up with a smile, held one finger in the air, and turned away. He began sleceting boxes and parts from a set of drawers behind him. Still facing the wall, he replied "Sentient robots. One day, I'll unlock the secret. One day..." He turned back and dropped a large wooden box of gears on the workbench. He lent his elbow on the edge, and continued. "Just imagine it... An eternal workforse, never stopping to eat, or sleep. That'll be my gift to the world..."

He shook his head "Now then, you." He lifted the lid from the box, and began pulling gears out apparently at random. Each one he placed in a grid infront of the dog. "Just a sec." He walked into the back of the shop.

When he returned he came back in with a set of scales. "Witht he price of Brass on the increase, I sell by weight, not number." He said, pointing att he scales. He let the dog select the parts he wanted, and then stopped. "Pistons, eh?" He thought for a moment, then pulled a brass torso from behing him, and broke it's back open with a crack. "Hmm?"

He plunged his metalic hand into the robot's back, and yanked out what looked like a lung made from leather tubing. He pulled the tubign off to reveal a miniature combustion engine. "Latest tech, here. Whadda-ya-think?"

FallenLeaf
Count

Post by FallenLeaf » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:24 am

Arcturus smiled as the meerkat told him of his ambitions.
"Yes, that's something that could set in motion the steps toward a Utopian society," he said to the meerkat. Or a dystopian one, he thought to himself.
"Now then, you," announced the meerkat, lifting the lid to a large wooden box and placing its contents neatly on the counter. "With he price of Brass on the increase, I sell by weight, not number." He said, pointing at a set of scales he had brought from the back.
Arcturus went through the parts, picking out each one he needed, and placing them in a small cloth bag. When he had taken a good deal of them, he placed the bag upon the scales, and waited for the Meerkat to give him a price.
Then the inventor showed Arcturus something that really got his attention. From the torso of one of the broken robots, he pulled a very small engine.
"Latest tech, here. Whadda-ya-think?" the meerkat asked.
The dog was taken aback. He had only seen a few combustion engines in his entire life, but none like this. It was small, and heavy, built solid like an engine but with pieces one would expect to find in a very sturdy clock.
"That's simply amazing," he said, looking at it closely

As the meerkat tallied up the bill, Arcturus began to look around at all of the machines... The mechanical furs, that this meerkat had made.
"If you don't mind me saying, sir, I think you should try doing the same thing on a smaller scale first. Once you perfect that, then make the big ones. Thing is, if you can figure it out with clockwork, moving it up to the scale of a combustion engine shouldn't be hard," he suggested, offering his own input on the subject. "Maybe start by perfecting a mechanical rat, and then move your way up the line."

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:00 am

Nikola sighed, as he took the dog's money and bundled all his parts into one lerger bag. "I suppose it couldn't hurt to start off small..." He said lookign around at all his failures.

Absent mindedly playing about with the head on the desk, Nikola's metal finger connected two electronic componants and the head sprang to life momentarily, before the open side of it's face began spilling gears all over the place. "oh, crap!"

He then stared at his own mechanical arm, "This is my only successful invention... And I did it with one arm, while bleeding profucely... In about half an hour while I waited for a surgeon." He said, leaning sadly on the workbench. He had never been able to work out what mechanics or even what theories he had used to build his arm. The loss of blood when he built it affected his brain in a way he couldn't safely repeat.

FallenLeaf
Count

Post by FallenLeaf » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Arcturus looked at the arm. And when he looked, he didn't just look. He actually stared for a moment. The limb was an amazing thing to see; the intricate clockwork of the arm allowed it to move and flex in every way like the meerkat's original lime.
"Well, I'd say that's more than a start," the dog stammered, highly impressed by the meerkat's only successful creation.
"Why don't you reverse engineer it? See how it works, figure out how you managed something like this?

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:16 pm

"Funding." replied Nikola bluntly. "It got cut after the explosion..." He could hardly pay the bills for his current experiments as it was, without taking his own arm apart. The law was on his tail, that's why he kept moving to different workshops all over the world. He owed the government thousands in unpaid taxes, and he had a lot of loans to pay on top of it all.

Nikola surprised the dog by ducking down under his bench, he had seen the debt collector walk past. The debt collectors still didn't know where he was, but word always got out. He knew he'd have to move soon. The last thing he always did before moving on was dismantle all his work so nobody could steal his ideas.

Standing back up, he leant over to one side to watcht he collector walk past each window in turn until he dissapeared. He shiftilly walked to the windows, and shut the blinds. Gently pushing two of them apart, he looked out at the collector, and saw a sight that chilled his blood. Someone was pointing him in the direction of the workshop.

Nikola ran back to the counter, and threw many of his creations to the floor, scatterign parts everywhere. "Oh, my! Look at the mess; I've got my work cut out for me. You'd better go, shop's closing." He said hurriedly, and ran out the back door, carrying only his personal items in a small bag he slung oevr his shoulder as he left.

He looked through the door one last time, "All sales are final, no refunds I'm afraid... RUN!" He shouted the alst word as the collector's face appeared at the front window.

FallenLeaf
Count

Post by FallenLeaf » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Arcturus perked a brow as the meerkat suddenly disappeared, having hit the deck as a middle aged bobcat had walked by. For a moment, the dog watched the collector, who casually strode down the street, glancing here and there into shop windows, and stopping to chat with a passerby occasionally. As he watched, the dog saw an old cougar pointing the bobcat in the direction of the shop. As she did this, Arcturus turned back to the meerkat, who had busied himself with the task of frantically shoving his personal effects into a satchel while simultaneously making a huge mess of his work.
"Oh, my! Look at the mess; I've got my work cut out for me. You'd better go, shop's closing." He said hurriedly, and ran out the back door, as Arcturus turned to face the fr4ont of the store. The collector was walking quickly toward the workshop, and the meerkat was running much more quickly out of it.
"All sales are final, no refunds I'm afraid," the inventor called out as he stepped out the back door. As the face of the bobcat came pressed to the front window of the shop, Arcturus caught the final word.
"RUN!"
Too late. The bobcat, seeing someone inside, had already reached for the door, and was pushing it open as he stepped into the shop and looked at Arcturus, who smiled at the bobcat.
"Can I help you," asked the dog.
"Perhaps," said the bobcat, closing the door behind him. "I'm looking for a meerkat named Nikola Vinci. Word has it he's set up shop here."
"Well, sir, I don't know anyone by that name, and, as for this workshop, it's where I do my tinkering, good sir. Now if you don't mind, I've had a long day and I must clean this mess so that I can close shop, so unless you're here for goods or services, I must ask you to go look for your meerkat elsewhere," replied the dog, a somewhat stubborn tone in his voice. The bobcat simply nodded, and walked out of the shop. Arcturus promptly locked the door behind him, and stepped into the back of the shop. Out into the alley he walked, and looked both directions, seeing if the inventor was still there. He wasn't, and so the snowy white canine shouldered his bag of parts, and set off up the alley.

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Post by zakorath » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:27 pm

Nikola watched the dog leave the building, he then snuck back in and checked that the collector was gone. He quicky opened a secret pannet in the wall and opened the box within. He grabbed the item inside it. It appeared to ba a large brass box with a tube stickign out one end, a clip on the top, and three glass canisters of mist on the other three sides.

He looked around a while longer to amke sure everything was trashed, and then clipped his mechanical arm into the item. "ahh. reunited at last." He said as he gently stroked the brasswork. No-one but Nikola had ever seen his weaponry. There was only one int he wold, it was specifically designed to work with his mehanical arm. He invented the Tesla Coil Lightning Gun during a short period of time when electricity was a popular new science. He ahd hoped never to sue it, but he had finally run out of countires where he wasn't wanted for tax-scams and fraud.

Nikola had always been a benign creature, but with things the way they were he decided it was time to fight. He checked that the TCLG was working. He put out his arm, facing one wall; the glass canisters began to glow, and electricity jumped between them. Finally the device hummed and a bolt of focused electricity jumped from the tube at the front and burned a hole right through the solid brick wall. "Perfect." He said, and once again ran out the back of his workshop to set off into the unknown future.

SaphFortuna
Cub

Re: Clockwork capers (Open - Edwin)

Post by SaphFortuna » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

How would I go about joining this fantastical clockwork adventure?

zakorath
Duke
Great Britain

Re: Clockwork capers (Open - Edwin)

Post by zakorath » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:27 am

Started a discussion for a restart of this: http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.p ... 89&start=0