The Lost Technocrat (Domus, Open)

This is where all of the Age of Cyborgs role-plays are archived.
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx

Re: The Lost Technocrat (Domus, Open)

Post by Rackenhammer »

Hearing Luke's assent, Kolin widened his smile. "Excellent! Now I give you the story. To put it shortly, I was assaulted and drugged last night, I cannot remember exactly when or why. I remember a little about who, though. In any case, I got free of them, but without my shoes, most of my clothes, and any of my belongings. It would not, I think," He paused reflectively, "be a good idea to call in the gendarmes just yet. Anyone with the courage to attack a technocrat probably has ways of diddling police." *That's if they knew who I was, and weren't just common street thieves. Some instinct tells me otherwise, but I can't be sure. Damn my faulty memory!*
Rosa came back then. Kolin greeted her returning message with an approving nod. "Ah, good. Thank you. Now, I think the first order of business is to return to where I you found me. That would probably jog my memory a little, and I might get my shoes back." He looked a little ruefully at his bare feet. Clothes had been easy for Rosa to scrounge, but shoes weren't quite as adaptable. "Oh, and if I could borrow a comm from you, Rosa, I ought to call and make sure to cancel all purchases made with my stolen account cards. I can take care of that on the way."

The hybrid stood up. After coffee, a shower, and some breakfast, he was feeling much better, and ready to face whatever was waiting for him. "What are we waiting for, eh? Let's go." He stopped still, remembering that he had no idea where he was going. "Ah, you'd better lead."
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Sponsor

Rainwhisker
King
King
Species: Lynx canadensis

Post by Rainwhisker »

((How did I miss this!?))

Luke sat up from the chair following the story. A pretty strange occasion, but the pale blue fur nodded. "You want to figure out who would try to mug you, hein?" he said, shuffling about and letting his backpack drop to the floor. "If Ms. Rosa won't mind, I can leave this here, unless we're travelling by other means...?" he directed the question at her. "I prefer to travel light." Whatever this odd request entailed, the thought of running into thugs possibly behind a greater mystery only served to further his want to join. The blue feline padded on besides Kolin. "I can help you with whatever, but...I'm not sure how much." it was awfully curious, but the prospect of adventure continued to drive him on.
Image Image- I pranked/shot Felia. Mwahahaaha!

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Post by Kitsunegami »

Rosa looked at the two and laughed to herself. "You two need to get a ride. I run everywhere I need to go, and I doubt you could keep up if you're on foot. I'd suggest renting a bike and following me." She smiled at Kolin, "You could probably keep up if you fly, but that would give you away."

"I hope you've got some energy boys. I'm ready do some running! Just let me know what you plan to do to keep up with me." she said with a smile and a wink as she hopped out of the window and slid down the wall that lead to the alley.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Kolin bit his lower lip and nodded at Rosa as he picked up the comm unit. "Got it. I'll pay you back for the hoverbike rental when I get my credit cards back." He took a more orthodox exit from the apartment as he talked to his new friend. "Simple safety in numbers is help enough, as well as familiarity with the local terrain. If nothing else, you can be a lookout. In any case, I'm glad you're coming."
It was the work of a moment to make the calls canceling purchases. There had been a very expensive restaurant charge on the card, but that was easily dealt with. There was a hoverbike rental agency near as well. The mag-lev roads were generally kept in good repair in the city, though there was always some maintenance work somewhere that snarled traffic for a few blocks around. Not normally having to deal with vehicles, Kolin deferred to his companions' judgment on the proper bike.
"Right." Kolin got on the bike, a little awkwardly, and nodded to Rosa. "Lead the way to where you found me."

Rainwhisker
King
King

Post by Rainwhisker »

Luke followed Kolin outside, his doubts being relieved as the hybrid made quick calls. "My bike's somewhere there. I'll go get it." he said, motioning to where he parked his own vehicle; hard-earned with a long period's worth of working part-time and full time during whatever chance he got, it was a bike with a similar blue sheen that matched his own fur. It was neatly tucked at the curb by the alleyway he was at earlier. The feline took his keys and started the engine, driving by next to Kolin. "Whenever you're ready."

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Marquis

Post by Kitsunegami »

Rosa was stretching for a few minutes before she started to run, her musculature and flexibility displayed admirably. Rosa first took them out to the old railway station that had been remodeled for the rave, then out to the area where she found Kolin sitting.

"This is where I found you." she said as she indicated the spot. Rosa pulled a massive revolver from a pack she wore on her lower back. ((3-shot .50 caliber revolver. :P ) "Hope I don't need to use ol' Boomer here. Dad's gun is, well, it could stop pretty much anything..."

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Being unfamiliar with his mode of transport, Kolin had some trouble applying the brakes, with is no easy task for any hovering craft. Breezing past his companions for a couple hundred feet before finally powering down, the hybrid had enough time to size up the building he'd been found in.
"Nécropole..." He said softly to himself. "Does that mean what I think it does?" Using the borrowed comm unit, Kolin looked up a quick translation. "Yep, practically the same word. Why the hell is it called that?"

Closer inspection revealed that it was actually an old cryogenics facility from the early decades of the 21st century. It had become a bit of a political football these days since the company had since gone bankrupt, but had built their facility well enough so that it still preserved bodies. Reviving them was just on the cusp of possible, but still in the experimental stage, and very expensive. Both the mere fiscal question and the ethical dilemma of which lives would be put at the most risk had been going on for some time now, and still the old furs slept... if they still lived at all.
All in all, it wasn't a bad place for a criminal to hide. It was highly unlikely that anyone would actually venture into the basement vaults unannounced.

"Ach, let's get this over with. I'll bet the floors are freezing too." The front door was locked, but there were a back and side entrance that could be forced open.
The place had been kept as well as it could by automatic maintenance machines, which were grudgingly serviced by the city budget while the debate raged on. At least the lights worked, though the harsh fluorescent bulbs did not make the situation any less creepy. Shaking off these thoughts, Kolin turned to his companions. "Alright, this search could take a while; the basements are large and I don't quite remember in what nook they stashed me. Rosa, you'd best stay on lookout outside, you should be able to take care of the goons if they come back. Luke, I need you to watch my back in case they are still here, alright?"
Without really waiting for a response, Kolin went to the basement stairs door. Maintenance or not, there was no way he was trusting the elevators.

Rainwhisker
King
King

Post by Rainwhisker »

Luke drove by Kolin as they passed the remade railway station that the feline spent his night raving. A light grin marked his face as he remembered the night before. Kolin rushed past, then slowed down in front of a particularly large facility, ominously named Nécropole. Luke frowned as he powered down the bike and got off, following Kolin from behind. "Ach, let's get this over with." The hybrid began. "I'll bet the floors are freezing too." The front door was locked, so they trekked around and opened the side entrance that was forced open.

The fluorescent lights was all the lighting they had inside and automated maintenance had done a shoddy job at keeping the place sparkling clean. The feline peered inside and his ears were wide open to listen for any signs of movement whatsoever, awaiting for any odd footstep to come out in the poorly lit gloom. "Alright, this search could take a while;" Kolin was ready with a plan, it seemed. "the basements are large and I don't quite remember in what nook they stashed me. Rosa, you'd best stay on lookout outside, you should be able to take care of the goons if they come back. Luke, I need you to watch my back in case they are still here, alright?"

Luke was about to answer but Kolin had already started for the basement door, not far from where they were. He shot a look at Rosa. "Bon chance." he said, and followed Kolin.

Coming from behind, Luke curiously asked. "What kind of people...stashed you here?" He didn't like the idea of running into very dangerous gangs while they were here. He mentally mapped an escape route or hiding areas whatever way possible. It wasn't his first time being involved with a rough sort of folk; but he certainly didn't want to return to a life like this since his last experience. Still, this time, it was far too tempting. Life had been pretty dull. This might prove to give him a thrill that he so wanted. Or perhaps an end.

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

(Sorry for leaving you all hanging here...)

"Two solid specimens of the Canidae family." Kolin barely paused when he put his bare foot on the cold concrete of the basement stairs. *This will be unpleasant.* "I could not discern exact species. One was you typical bruiser, big, bulky, chewed pineapple-flavored bubble gum. I think he was called Vassikin by other one. Ja, I remember the other was a wiry fellow, may have had a mustelid in his ancestry. Dressed slightly better, definitely talked more. Can't remember much else."

The pair reached the first basement floor. The decor was significantly more creepy, even as it was more sparse. There was nothing to break the monotony of case after case of frozen corpses... "I remember this didn't look any better when on... whatever it was they drugged me with, fast-penta I think. I react to that strangely."
The cold floor echoed even barefoot steps as Kolin and Luke slowly made their way deeper into the building. "Keep a look out for an open door."

Meanwhile, outside:

A long, black hoversine pulled up to the Nécropole, stopping at the front door, well within Rosa's view. It deposited upon the curb one white Ermine, young but conservatively dressed in a three-piece suit colored a dark, rich purple. He was apparently concluding a discussion with another in the interior. "... really, I won't be more than a minute. You needn't come out." He kept the door open, but the interior was too shadowy to make out more than a dim figure inside.
Turning, he faced Rosa and seemed to do a double-take. He had a pleasant expression almost permanently engraved on his features, but a pair of dark spectacles his his eyes from view. "Oh, what's a lovely lady like you doing in a place like this?" The pickup line was the oldest in the book, but the question was fair enough.

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Marquis

Post by Kitsunegami »

Not too sure I like how this guy looks. Rosa thought to herself as she glanced around at the buildings.
"I'm just out for a walk. I recently renovated that old abandoned station down the way for a rave. I'm simply trying to think of what to do with it next, if anything." she spoke the truth with a pinch of misdirection to cover her true motive for waiting in the alley.

"If you don't mind a touch of turn-about, what would youhappen to be doing at a drab place like this?" she asked with a smile.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

"Haha, oh yes, I did hear about that rave. Sorry I wasn't able to attend, but alas, my boss is not sympathetic to such things." The ermine did not seem in the least fazed about the question addressed to him. "Oh, I represent one of the interested parties in the dispute concerning this little facility. I'm just down here to make sure there hasn't been any break-ins or sabotage. Oh, forgive my rudeness, Matthieu LeBlanc."
He extended his hand and his name with easy and kind grace, that would have been perfectly reassuring...if not for those great goblin shaded spectacles on his face. They broke its curves, removed all the clues that would mark a statement as sincere or deceptive.

Rainwhisker
King
King

Post by Rainwhisker »

The feline crept quietly keeping an eye on his surroundings. The basement unnerved him, especially with the cold cases and the echoing halls, ever so silent and dead. "What did you say this place was, again?" he quietly asked, keeping his ears opened for any noise. He wondered whatever could happen while they are here. This rang a soft echo through his mind, like ripples, bringing about a faint memory of a younger time. How times have changed, but then again, things might not actually have since he was here after all.

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

"The city of the dead, at least by literal translation." Kolin was not very susceptible to atmospheres, but row after row of frozen corpses can have an effect on a guy, especially since he was also dealing with memories of a hallucinatory fit he had the last time he was here. Still, he held up pretty well by concentrating on finding where he had been held.
"In reality, it's a cryogenic storage facility. Quite a few moneyed furs had themselves frozen, hoping to be revived when medical tech caught up with their maladies. Truth be told, it probably has, and we could revive any here who weren't beyond it already... but politics got snarled in the mess..." Kolin cut himself off with a wave. He didn't know too much about himself. He had to admit that it was the last place anyone would look for evidence of a kidnapping.

*So how'd they get the keys then? Unless they entered by the same door we did, but I think that it was the same one I opened from the inside last night. Still, it's not unlikely whoever did this to me has connections leading here. Another clue to follow up on.*

They'd actually got down to a subbasement level before Kolin found his open door. A janitorial closet left slightly ajar, in fact. "Hallo, what's this?" Kolin stood in the open doorway, taking in the scene. It looked ordinary enough... except for the faint smell of pineapple. "Look for... anything unusual, but don't touch... unless you have gloves or a handkerchief to keep from leaving prints."

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Marquis

Post by Kitsunegami »

"You can call me Rose. So, if you don't mind me asking, what is that place?" she asked, dragging her tail around a little in the dirt of the alley. She was making sure to keep what she was actually doing to herself. She was drawing a crude magic array to make a crude connection to the lodestone that Kolin had on him.

It was like the old baby monitors, Kolin should be able to hear what's going on on her end, but not the other way around...

Rainwhisker
King
King

Post by Rainwhisker »

Luke blinked and drew back when that very out of place scent of pineapple drifted into his mouth. Peeking inside and following instructions, the cat avoided touching anything and decided to take slow, careful steps. He inspected the closet from the outside, peeking for anything that seemed off. "I do have gloves, if you want to use them." Luke offered Kolin some leather gloves that the feline had withdrawn from his bag.

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!