Welcome to the World of Feila!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

The Lost Technocrat (Domus, Open)

This is where all of the Age of Cyborgs role-plays are archived.
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx

Re: The Lost Technocrat (Domus, Open)

Post by Rackenhammer » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:21 pm

Kolin smiled at Rosa's observation. "I'm friends with two dragons, a vampire, a mystic Lioness, Nica, and I had a chimera for an English teacher! Counting you, I think the majority of the people I know well are magical in some way, shape, or form."
The hybrid took a seat, shrugging. "You do realize I have nowhere else to go right now? Until the embassy reprocesses my papers, I can't pay a cafe bill."
Kolin kept the dinner conversation to trivialities as best he could, trying to give his brain a rest from the circles it was running in. He made a few calls home before turning in, getting only a message each time. *Time zones,* he thought as he yawned. *Still haven't gotten over the jet lag myself.* He slept draped over the spare bed, his wings having made a habit of forcing odd sleeping positions.

He was up fairly early in the morning, stretching his wings on the balcony. He wondered if Luke would show up for breakfast like yesterday.
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Rackenhammer's RP Experience "blog"

e-mail: [email protected]

All my characters in their insane length

Sponsor

Rainwhisker
King
Species: Lynx canadensis

Post by Rainwhisker » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:46 pm

"Je vais sortir." Luke said, taking a quick jab of his last piece of omelet.

"Où?" came a hard, blunt reply.

The blue-furred cat blinked. "Tu me pensera quand je sort?"

"Pas vraimant," another blunt reply. Luke screwed his face.

"Oublie-la. Au revoir, je retournerai a nuit." he got up from his chair and quickly gulped down some water, heading out the door. His father watched, then listened as the motorcycle started up, and zooming away, the sounds dying off. In silence, he heaved a heavy sigh.

---
Luke found himself stopping in front of Kolin and Rosa's place, the motorcycle halting to a stop in front. Unlike most other young teenagers with bikes of his model, he hadn't modified his to make a huge racket. Right now, he didn't feel like making any. The egg he had eaten had left a sour, awful taste in his mouth, and he only growled, hopping off and walking to the room's door, knocking on it. "J'arrive," he announced.
Image Image- I pranked/shot Felia. Mwahahaaha!

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:06 pm

A knocking noise came from below. Kolin didn't have to look down to see who it was. "Guten marten! I'll get the door in just a minute."
The air hadn't yet lost the chill of the night, as the rays of the sun had been tangible for only fifteen minutes. Kolin was sorry that he couldn't fly without attracting undue attention; the juxtaposition of heating and cold made for an invigorating flight. Releasing a lungful of that air, he strolled back inside to let Luke in.

"Have you had breakfast yet? I haven't." The hybrid almost never ate heavy breakfasts, partly out of habit and partly because he was adverse to cooking so early in the morning. A croissant, and apple, a cup of coffee, and he was good until lunch.
"Are you quite alright? You look as if something's been bothering you."

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:56 am

"Ah...c'est pas probleme." he broke off into Domish, dismissing Kolin's question entirely. "I've had breakfast, yes." he said, coming back to his accented Edwinish. The blue and white furred cat came inside, still looking a bit distressed. "I'll feel a bit better later." he knew he wasn't doing a good job hiding it, so he may as well ease the hybrid's worry. "And yourselves? I came over today, and I wondered how I could help." he brought himself to come in and sat with a plop, with a lot less of a rhythm that he used to swing to the previous day. He shoved his lack of energy as something he could thank to Papa, and threw it aside. Relaxing himself, the feline leaned on the chair. He looked at Kolin and admittedly wished he could've been a Technocrat at times. Even if this hybrid had a job, with all the money, he could've just enjoyed the rest of his days, not worry about unemployment, or a good-for-nothing Papa--

An irritated flick of the tail, and the cat regained his electric mood. "I still don't know why there's people after you," he said, opting out to add that it might've been possible Kolin was into some shady business. In fact - with something like a 'magic rock' in his possession, that was potentially possible.

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Post by Kitsunegami » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:35 am

Rosa was still asleep when Kolin let Luke in, but it was hunger that woke her from her slumber, not the sound of conversation. Rosa sat up and stretched, topless in bed, then got up and started walking toward the kitchen. She stopped herself, still a little groggy, and decided a shower would best wake her up. She grabbed a tank-top and shorts, then took a shower. She stepped out of the bathroom after a short time, getting her top on just before entering the kitchen. "Oh! I didn't realize you were already here Luke." she said as she opened the fridge and pulled out a small steak and some eggs. She began cooking them immediately.

"Nothing quite beats a steak breakfast." she said, plucking an apple from the bowl in the center of the table. "So, what's the plan today Kolin?"

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:40 pm

"Hm, it doesn't seem to have sat well with you." Kolin noted on Luke's listlessness, but refrained from commenting further. It seemed a sensitive issue with the cat, and he was willing to let it slide for now.

Kolin sipped his coffee, rolling the black, bitter liquid over his tongue before gulping it down. "I could think," He mused, "Of about a half-dozen sane reasons why. Of the insane reasons, there is no number. In any case, the question for now is not why, but who. And I think I've got an idea as to that..."

Rosa walked in then. Giving another guten marten to her, Kolin set forward his plans in a businesslike manner. "Today, I'm due at the consulate to get my papers reprocessed. I don't know how long it will take, but afterward I should be free to act on my assumptions.
"See, I overheard you talking to M. LeBlanc outside the Necropole, and I do not think that it was a coincidence that he was the one who met me at M. Deuxvrey's office to take the First Edition. My preliminary hypothesis is that our M. LeBlanc is a fraud, who met me to take the delivery, then set thugs to remove a witness. I suppose they thought one more corpse among the many wouldn't be noticed." Kolin had to chuckle a bit at the black humor of the thing. "Perhaps that's why they used the penthanol on me; they may have heard that I reacted to it, and thought it would simply send me into a fatal anaphyletic shock. Without papers, and with a little work done with a wine bottle to the face, I'd be just another druggie fallen victim to the streets."

Kolin stood up. "Such, anyway, may have been the plan. I would like you two to ask around the city to see if Deuxvrey is putting up a fuss about not getting his First Edition. Don't look so surprised, the thing's worth quite a few Credit-Marks on the market, and is priceless to any collector. Furs have killed over less before..." He shook his head. "Anyway, you might also want to inquire as to Vassikin and his partner, though that might be a little more dangerous. Up for the PI work?"

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:26 pm

Luke was greeted by the reptile. He waved, still leaning against the chair. "Bonjour, Rosa." he said, as the lady came into the room. She began to cook some breakfast for herself, asking Kolin the plan.

The winged feline explained his plan, then. Luke kept quiet, listening patiently and intently, his mind picturing what sorts of trouble they would get into today. Information gathering, it looked like. Not many people appreciate poking at private affairs, but perhaps there was a way to get at this. Luke loved a challenge. "But of course." he said, leaping off his chair, a spark in his eye. "I'll get you the information you need, and more. After all, no tall and important people will know who I am, anyway." he grinned.

Yet, anyway.

"I've had my share of...experience, of this sort of thing, oui." he flicked his tail. "Asking about the people who drugged you might be a bit difficult, but if an opportunity comes along..."

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:31 pm

(Start your investigation anyway you like; I'll feed you leads)

Kolin had wolfed down his breakfast, barely tasting it. It may or may not have been complimentary to the cook, but culinary appreciation hadn't been far up on his mind this morning in any case.
"Inconspicuousness, yes, that will be key. I'm not a local, so Rosa will have to say where'd you'd best start. Probably in a bar somewhere. Any gathering place of rumors about the rich. At least you will have a more exciting day than me."

With that, he departed for the consulate, riding the same rented bike from last night.

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Post by Kitsunegami » Thu May 05, 2011 6:37 pm

((OOC: I'll be bowing out for a little bit, though I will keep tabs and jump in when I can help.))

"I've got a bit of work to do today. A few packages to deliver and all that. Feel free to crash here Kolin." she said as he passed her on his way out. With that, she put a key in his paw, and locked up behind herself. Today was gonna have her running all over town. Hopefully there wouldn't be too many unfriendly rooftops...

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:11 am

"Right," Luke sat up. "I'll start by asking some old friends for what they know," he explained, frowning. He wasn't looking forward to speaking to anyone he used to hang out with - but Marc had been someone much more reliable than the rest, and thankfully, he was always one with the information, and not the shady dealings.

---
Luke was on his motorcycle, zipping to the southern part of the city. He couldn't believe that for once, he felt a need to speak with someone part of the Chevalier Noir - a small, upstart group of children who knew nothing but stirring up trouble with the wrong people. A group that he had been part of - one that he had long abandoned once he realized how ridiculous it was. It had come a long way by then, having but a handful members but the small size has kept their operation compact and hassle-free.

He didn't even think why he had kept tabs on their progress since he left, but now he was glad he did. At the same time, he was frowning at himself for going back and asking for help. This time it was for a better cause - or was it? Kolin and Rosa had been quite secretive of their purpose - and it looked like they were involved in something bigger than it seemed. Or it could be another case of gang rivalry.

It didn't seem like stepping out of the loop was any better. All he looked forward to were raves, parties and drinks. If not that, Papa.

Luke felt like throwing up, and just sped up even faster.

---
"Luke...bien venue." an armadilllo of young age waved his paw as the feline came into the old shack, laying in the middle of a scrapyard. "Pourquoi tu es ici? Je pense que tu as quitté."

The armadillo, Marc was a more sincere sort of person. Deals in all kinds of information that he managed to dig up from observing and hacking about the shady dealings that transpired in the entire state. Unlike the rest, he wasn't entirely after making it big - he was much more easily amused with smaller fortunes and the simple fun of feeling like he belonged.

"Je veux information."

"De quoi? Pourquoi?' he stared at him, surprised.

"Je prefere que tu n'as me poser des questions, mais je te racontera que je veux aider un ami."

"Oh...bien, de quoi tu as besoin?" the armadillo relaxed himself, staring back to his computer.

"Information sur les activites d'un monsieur Deuxvrey." he asked, moving over to another chair and taking a seat himself.

"Ok...attends un peu..." he began clicking away on his computer, while Luke just looked around the room.

"Comment va tout?" the blue feline asked, idly.

"Ca va...Marron à gagné un metièr, Bastillot c'est la meme comme normal..."

----
((Translation of my fail french:

"Hey Luke. Why are you here?"
"I want information."
"Of what? Why?"
"I'd like it if you didn't ask questions, but I'll let you know I'm helping a friend."
"Oh...Ok. What do you need?"
"Information on a M. Devreaux."
"Alright. Wait a bit."
"How's things?"
"Fine. Marron got a job, Bastillot's the same as always..."

So what'll be the information an up-to-date information digger will uncover?))

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:43 am

(You don't mind that I'm giving this in English?)

It had been a while since Luke had come to him, or any of them. Not that is was so unusual, a group that focused upon keeping a manageable size had to deal with turnover.
Nor did the return seem unusual. After all, Marc thought, they were the premier information brokers for that peculiar class of people sloughing off the lower end of the middle class, and willing to turn to anything to keep from crashing. Luke had too much joi de vivre to just submit to being pushed under.

M. Deuxvrey though... that was unusual. The old labrador was a technocrat, long part of the commercial oligarchy that had somehow survived multiple revolutions in the country. Marc couldn't help but feel curious about what kind of "friend" Luke had landed.

No time for speculation, though, the file was coming up. "There's not much that I can say for certain about the dog himself, he was always reclusive, and he hasn't been seen in public now for years. There's a rumor floating around that he's actually dead, and that hasn't made things so stable for his investment company." So much would have been known to anyone who kept up with the financial papers, but Marc doubted that Luke had ever been interested in that.
"Public face of the company's Matthieu LeBlanc, and he's an interesting character all right. No one seems to know where he came from. I've found literally nothing, no birth certificates, no criminal record, no indication of his existence before he first started representing himself as Deuxvrey's 'personal assistant'. Always wears shades, indoors and out, regardless of the weather. Throws fine parties, I've heard.
"Haven't really been able to find any dirt about them, though I think they're up to something." The armadillo finished off in the tone of a person who thought everyone was up to something. "There's been secretive meetings, and just the other day a representative of the MEZER pharma-cyber giant went to meet with LeBlanc. Dunno about what, though. Could be that old Deuxvrey's really sick though, and desperate for some kind of miracle cure."

"Anything else you wanted to know?" Marc asked the feline brightly.

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:53 pm

((Pfft, I don't mind at all. :D))

Luke was glad to hear Marc being as supportive as ever. "So it seems that M. Deuvrey's been in hiding all this time..." he rubbed his temble. "And hasn't been seen in public...yet sends a representative, Matthieu LeBlanc - a mystery man with absolutely no records of anything available. And that awful fashion statement of wearing shades everywhere...with fine parties. And recently, a meeting with a pharma-cyber giant." he summed up everything that Marc had just told him, heaving himself off the chair with a creak.

"That's about all I could find." Marc told him, then abruptly changed the subject after looking over the feline.. "Gee, Leon would've been quite happy to see you here right now."

A sharp exhale and a roll of the eyes came from the cat. "Last thing I need would be to see that furball..." his throat swallowed impulsively and his stomach lurched. He wouldn't be able to hide it to say that he might've liked to see the young leopard, and Marc just laughed at how blatantly obvious it was. "I got no time anyway." the feline shook his head. "The only other thing I could ask you is to look up someone - a doberman - Vassikin was his name. Not a lot to go by, I know, but just in case..."

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:21 pm

Marc dropped the subject as abruptly as he brought it up. Luke could probably guess that tabs were being kept on him. One didn't want secrets to be spilled, of course, but Luke had been a friend to most of the group, and this was the first they'd heard of any real friend outside it.

"Vassikin, Vassikin..." The armadillo murmured as his computer ran through its search program. There was a lot of files to run through, but cross-searching with 'doberman' should help narrow it down.
"Huh, looks like I've got your fur, Luke." Marc called up a picture on the screen. "Bruiser type, a born mook. Not picky about who hires him, no real scruples on legality. Not a bottom feeder, but not apt to rise above his station. Commonly seen with-" Another picture was calle up. "Tassos Britva."
Vassikin was by no means handsome, but his figure could support a rough visage. Britva was ostensibly a pine marted with some canine ancestry, but he looked at the world through the eyes of a rat. "The brains of the operation, I'm guessing. They operate independently, and reasonably competently. They're usually seen hainging around this little dive," Here Marc called up an address on the Rue de Champlain. "At least, when they're not on a job. They weren't there yesterday or the day before. Dunno what they were handling, though."

He leaned back from his computer. "Strange two things to put together." The armadillo remarked, fishing for information. Sure, Luke was a friend and all, but if there was a connection between the lowlifes and the technocrats, there was something worth knowing.

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:55 am

Luke watched the computer screen flicker by with pictures of Vassikin and Tassos, and the address at Rue de Champlain. A smile lit on his face. All the information he needed.

Marc leaned back. "Strange two things to put together." He said, obviously hinting at how he needs to know more. Luke grinned - of course Marc needed to know more. Luke happily obliged the trade of information with what he knew at the moment.

"Someone was targeted to be erased by Matthieu LeBlanc after receiving a delivery. A technocrat, foreign to Domus. He was jumped on by Vassikin - and probably Tassos, here." he motioned to the computer screen, half his mind working on which detail to reveal to Marc. "LeBlanc was also seen by the Necropole the other day..." he chose not to make mention of the odd devices he saw Kolin have in his possession, nor mention of Rosa. "I'm just trying to find out why LeBlanc wanted to keep the delivery a secret to warrant a silence on the courier." his tail swished as he explained, trailing a few of his words as he talked.

Marc raised an eyebrow, clearly not fully convinced that that was the whole story. "Now you've got me all interested in this whole LeBlanc case..."

Luke sharply swung his tail. "It's my issue right now. Chevalier Noir shouldn't get involved. You have your saying, yes?" he broke into a grin, which only brought an amused chuckle to Marc.

"...we won't, unless it concerns us."

"Yes -- " the sound of a chain gate opening from outside the shack cut Luke off. "...fantastic. Look - I'm not looking forward to running into the others at the moment. I never was here, alright?"

"Not unless it concerns us." Marc repeated, a knowing smile forming. Luke only scoffed and shook his head, instead just leaping out through the back window.

Shortly after, the door opened - revealing a young leopard and swallow, wandering in. "Marc, we're back --" the leopard started, but frowned, his nose sniffing the air. "Luke?"

"...oh, it certainly concerns us, now." Marc chuckled again.

---
Luke was on his motorcycle by then, already driving back to Kolin's apartment. Once he got there, he'd wait for the hybrid to return, and tell him what he's learnt - hopefully then he'd learn a lot more about what is going on behind this entire ordeal.

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:23 pm

(It's not Kolin's apartment.)

Philosophically, Kolin was an egalitarian, and a bit of a Jacobin politically. However, he was only mortal, and found that philosophical conviction do not stand up very well to the prospect of being a source of sadistic pleasure to petty bureaucrats.
It was with pleasure, then, that he watched the dumpy face of the Consul secretary grow alarmed and then respectful as she realized who Kolin's parents were. "Yes, I'm one of those von Drakes." The hybrid threw off the statement with easy imperiousness. No more words were needed.
In 45 minutes, the papers were processed, and Kolin had his new passport in hand. "By the way," Kolin turned, on his way out, to address the secretary one last time, "If any of my friends come by, and receive any less than the prompt service I got, well! I have a lot of friends in all places, and a few'd be glad of a job."

That would put the fear of, if not God, then at least of furs into her for a few weeks, at least. By the month's end, perhaps, she'd forget, or realize that technocrats could not really dictate the hiring practices of the Gawainian Foreign Service. Still, Kolin felt he'd rendered enough service to the common fur to justify his use of privilege.
Still didn't stop the feeling that he'd been untrue to himself, though, as he flew back to the apartment.

~

He found Luke waiting for him, and smiled. "Well, you're here earlier than I expected, not that I'm one to talk. Good hunting?"