A Wild Goose Chase? (Gawain and beyond)

This is where all of the Age of Cyborgs role-plays are archived.
Asyriel
God
God

A Wild Goose Chase? (Gawain and beyond)

Post by Asyriel »

Sasha locked the doors to her store, having sent her apprentice and employees home hours ago when they had closed for the night. As the heavy bolt clicked into place on the high security door, the kangaroo reflected on the endeavor she was about to begin.

several weeks ago a tabby from Edwin had showed up, former party he claimed. He said all of his assets had been frozen when he escaped, but he needed a weapon as he was fairly sure that there would soon be a mark on his head if there wasn't already. In return for the weapon, he offered her a juicy bit of information that was too good to pass up, so despite it being against her normal policies, she made the deal. She handed the tabby a nice piece of personal security weaponry and he tossed her a memory chip and began to tell her about a secret experimental facility in Edwin that had been "lost" some years ago. He told her that all of the information he had found out about it was on the chip, and was why he was now a refugee in fear for his life, and good riddance to it, then walked out the door...if the information turned out to be accurate, she could stand to make a lot of money off it.

Sasha broke herself out of her reverie, and headed down the street, the evening was brisk, and in her current mood, perfect for a walk. She thought about what she had seen on the memory chip as she walked, and before she knew it she was standing outside a seedy bar that she had selected as a meeting place to hopefully get a few furs to help her get into this "lost" facility, and loot everything that wasn't bolted down. She had sent word out through some of her contacts that she was looking for a few capable furs that weren't afraid of working on the wrong side of the law, for a price, and breaking into an "abandoned" party facility.

She ordered a glass of whiskey, and went to a booth near the back of the bar, one with a good view of the door. she leaned back, and took a sip of her drink; now all there was to do was wait, and see who showed up.

Sponsor

SnowFire
Marquis
Marquis
Species: Monkey!

Re: A Wild Goose Chase? (Gawain and beyond)

Post by SnowFire »

"can I help you miss?" Tyger-i asked. He was sitting in the booth the kangaroo had just slipped into. 'figures. I'm dark. It's dark. Guess I blend in' he gave a slight chuckle at the thought. He took a sip of his drink and fiddlers with something in his pocket.
If I don't have to do it, I probably won't
and if I have too, I'll do it quick.

My characters page

cossant
Marquis
Marquis
Species: Wolf

Post by cossant »

"I told you it was a botched mission. Their was no way we could have broken out of that place and still had time to secure the information." An almost pure white wolf growled. A similar looking wolf just shrugged. "I could have gotten the information if I was just a bit quicker on the draw. If that guard hadn't hit the alarm, we'd have ended up with enough money to retire."

Marcus, the first wolf, sighed. "Yeah. Retire at 19 and 21. Fat chance that will happen." His brother, Jeremy, smiled at Marcus' sarcastic behavior. "We'll find something." His eye caught the kangaroo moving towards a booth just within earshot. Jeremy gave Marcus a signal for silence, and the two listened in. When it came to an instinct for a possible lucrative job, Jeremy's was almost uncannily accurate.

Kael
God
God
Species: Panther or Dragon

Post by Kael »

Solara and Jan had gone to the bar in the hopes of finding a black market dealer. Solara was sorely in need of parts in order to upgrade Jan. The two minks walked into the bar, heads up. Jan had sleek fur with nice clothes, while Solara had clumped, dirty fur and oil and grease stained clothing. Solara had the backpack on her that she always carried.

She had heard through the grapevine that someone was also looking for furs for a job. That had interested Jan, as she always was keenly aware of the state of their finances.
Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work: "Hello. Can't work today, still queer." ~Robin Tyler

War. Rape. Murder. Poverty. Equal rights for gays. Guess which one the Southern Baptist Convention is protesting? ~The Value of Families

Did you hear about the Scottish drag queen? He wore pants. ~Lynn Lavner

Why can't they have gay people in the army? Personally, I think they are just afraid of a thousand guys with M16s going, "Who'd you call a faggot?" ~John Stewart

Soldiers who are not afraid of guns, bombs, capture, torture or death say they are afraid of homosexuals. Clearly we should not be used as soldiers; we should be used as weapons. ~Letter to the editor, The Advocate

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Sasha raised an eyebrow as she looked at the dragon she had sat next to in the booth, seemed she'd have to start using her infrared vision when she came into the bar. She smiled at the dragon briefly before replying "if you have to ask, probably not" she replied as she got up from the seat "I'll leave you to your drink, sorry to have bothered you" she said as she prepared to find another seat. She didn't think the dragon was one of the prospective furs she was waiting for, anybody who had actually heard about her job offering would have been given a description of who they were supposed to meet (an athletic, red-brown, female kangaroo with shoulder length hair named Sasha), where, and when.

Nearby, she heard a pair of wolves talking about a job of some sort, perhaps they had been informed of her job offering. she glanced in their direction for a moment, her eyes giving of a momentary telltale glint of cybernetics, before she turned to look for a new seat.

As Sasha turned, a Jackal came through the door "Sasha, I figured I'd find you here" he said as he approached "tell your boss I found those special barrels she was looking for...they're not cheap" he said to her quietly with a Domish accent as he gave her a kiss on the cheek "if you'll excuse me, I believe I need a drink" he said before moving off to the bar. "I'll pass the message" she replied as the Jackal moved off, and then she sighed and started heading to a different booth.

(OOC: it's safe to assume your characters have been told about the job from some source or another...Sasha's not going to be approaching random furs in a bar about the job. It's not how she does business, and not really the smartest thing for someone to do considering the job)

SnowFire
Marquis
Marquis

Post by SnowFire »

"ya know. Talking about those things around someone like me is livel to get you in trouble" He said standing up. As he walked into a brighter area it was noticeable that patcheson his arms, knees, wings tail and pretty much every where here darker than the rest of his normal coloration. "and besides I was told to be looking out for someone who matched your description. Just a little habbit I have out waiting" he says walking up to the group.

My characters page

cossant
Marquis
Marquis

Post by cossant »

Jeremy had begun to look through his wrist-com, scrolling through the images, before settling on one that looked like the kangaroo.
"I think that's her. Matches the description. This could be our next paycheck."

"Or our next screw-up. You sure you want to dive right into another job just after our previous one almost ended us?" Marcus questioned. Jeremy just nodded, which Marcus returned with a smile. "Great. I wouldn't have it any other way. Being a civilian gets boring after awhile."

As the kangaroo was approached by a Jackal, Jeremy listened in, catching the kangaroo's name. "Sasha. That's the name we were given." he informed, closing out his wrist-com. "C'mon. We got more work to do. Got your weapons ready in case of an ambush?"

Marcus nodded. "Loaded and ready to kill. Explosives?"

Jeremy smiled. "inert and safe for now, but ready to cause some massive damage."

With that, both got up and began approaching Sasha, though hesitated on sight of the shadowy figure. Jeremy just motioned a 2, then 1, if it got out of hand.

Kael
God
God

Post by Kael »

Solara moved up to the kangaroo, Jan hanging back a bit.

"I was told to meet you. My name is Solara, and this is Jan." Solara had a gruff voice, and her hand extended, showing rough calluses from hard work.

"I heard you need some help. I would be glad to offer whatever assistance we may."
Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work: "Hello. Can't work today, still queer." ~Robin Tyler

War. Rape. Murder. Poverty. Equal rights for gays. Guess which one the Southern Baptist Convention is protesting? ~The Value of Families

Why can't they have gay people in the army? Personally, I think they are just afraid of a thousand guys with M16s going, "Who'd you call a faggot?" ~John Stewart

Soldiers who are not afraid of guns, bombs, capture, torture or death say they are afraid of homosexuals. Clearly we should not be used as soldiers; we should be used as weapons. ~Letter to the editor, The Advocate

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Sasha smiled an unintentionally patronizing smile at the dragon. "yes, because special barrels are such troublesome things." she replied to his comment about her conversation. "looking for me huh?" she said after a brief pause "hmm...well in that case, you might be able to help me after all" she said just before a pair of minks approached. Solara introduced herself and her companion. Sasha shook Solara's hand, her own hand much like Solara's in that it was hardened by hard work with machines between her gunsmithing, and her robotics projects. "nice to meet you Solara" she nodded toward Jan "Jan" she turned her attention back to Solara "I'm guessing you do mechanical work of one sort or another" she said, putting the oil and grease together with the calluses to come up with her conclusion. As she spoke with Solara and Jan, she noticed the pair of wolves she had seen before getting up from their seats, and approaching. She waved the pair of wolves over and headed for a nearby empty booth where she sat down and waited for the others to sit too before she spoke again. "I'm assuming you are all here because through one source or another, you heard I was offering a job opportunity. before I go into any sort of details, I want to hear a little about each of you, and what you can bring to the table" she said as she drained her drink, and sat the glass on the table in front of her and waited for the first to speak.

SnowFire
Marquis
Marquis

Post by SnowFire »

Tyger-i sat down at the booth. "Well lets just say I'm looking for my next near death experience." [LOL A-Team reference] he puased for a moment. "As for what I bring to the table." He glanced around and pealed off part of his left arm's skin. Underneath was a complete robotic arm. "I bring good skills and a sense for the crazy." He said pulling the skin back up. "and this" he said opening his palm. A hole opened and a little capsule about the size of a handle popped out. It fit his hand perfectly. the tip of the capsule flashed and a little light blue energy dagger appeared. "Just call me Jak for now. I have no intention of revealing everything of course. Just in case things go south." he added with a grin

My characters page

Kael
God
God

Post by Kael »

Solara nodded to Sasha's guess. "Odds and ends, but mostly robotics." She sat at the table, while Jan stood on guard. Just like her, Solara thought, always watching out for me, a very good friend.

"I bring to the table... well, you could say that I bring a bit of smarts, a bit of dedication, and a bit of need."

Jan scoffed. "A bit of smarts? Sol, you are brilliant. Hell, you built me from scratch!"

Solara blushed at the comment. "Not really... Anyone can do it, if they have the right parts..." She then blushed harder as she realized what she had just said. "I mean, anyone could build a robot. I suppose it is harder to build a cyborg." She then hid her face, trying not to laser an even deeper hole for her to be buried in.

Jan then spoke up. "I myself bring what she built me for. My strength surpasses my figure, and I have combat training. Also, I have this." She tossed a small ball into the air, then her arm transformed. A disintegration beam shot at the ball, destroying it instantly. "Compliments of my brilliant friend here." She pointed at Solara.

cossant
Marquis
Marquis

Post by cossant »

As Jeremy and Marcus walked over to the table, they listened in to the introductions, before the small robot disintegrated the ball. Marcus couldn't help but be impressed. Noting that they hadn't introduced themselves, Jeremy gave a quick intro. "My name's Jeremy, this is my brother, Marcus. I'm proficient in long-range combat, and stealth operations, as well as piloting aircraft. My brother here is good with explosives and close-quarters-combat. He drives the ground vehicles."

"That's because you couldn't drive a straight line if your life depended on it." Marcus quipped. Jeremy scowled, and elbowed his brother in the ribs. "We're both good soldiers, and have experience in many combat situations." Jeremy said.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Sasha listened as everybody introduced themselves. The dragon seemed a little cocky to her, but perhaps it was warranted. Cybernetic limbs weren't anything new or unusual to her, she had some implants of her own, albeit nothing as much as a limb. his weapon was something of a little more interest though she was hoping it wouldn't come down to hand to hand combat. Solara could be a bit of a gamble, Sasha thought to herself, this didn't quite seem her element, but she did have Jan who hid a decent bit of potential. She had to admit that building an AI was no small feat, but wasn't sure how suited Solara would be to any conflict that may come up. The last to speak was the pair of wolves, and listening to them set her a little more at ease, at least these two had an air of professionalism to them which would hopefully counterbalance the others who seemed to be a bit in the way of amateurs as far as what she had in mind. As Sasha came to her conclusions, her face betrayed nothing but a bit of a thoughtful expression.

Sasha nodded after the introductions were done, and smiled. "alright then, my name is Sasha, as you all should know, and I'll be leading this little expedition. I know my way around a gun, have a fair bit of robotics experience, and will be covering surveillance" as she said this, she used her communications implants to let the bartender know that she would be using the private room. "now, if you'll follow me, I'll let you all in on the specifics" With that, she rose from her seat, and led the group through a door in the back of the bar, and into a short hallway with a door on either side, and a set of stairs at the end. she led the group down the stairs, and through another door into what seemed like a small conference room with a modest stock of drinks.

Once the door was closed to the private room, Sasha spoke again. "now that we don't have to worry about unwanted ears, I'll get down to the heart of the matter." as she said this, she dropped the memory chip she had gotten from the tabby into a small computer and a pair of maps were projected in the air above the center of the table in the room. "This, is an Edwinish experimental facility that was "lost" some years ago, and according to my sources, full of tech for the picking." she paused to let everyone get a look at the maps, and take in the implications before she continued...

Kael
God
God

Post by Kael »

Jan looked at Solara. Solara knew exactly what was going through her mind. It was going through hers too. <Jackpot.> Solara pulled out a small interface that she fitted over her left eye, then did a scan. She hacked the Edwinish database and looked over the region the map showed.

The response was that the region didn't exist.

Solara was confounded for a second, then realized that it was probably a cover-up by the government to prevent an embarrassing explanation. She searched for the sloppy work in the mainframe, picked it apart, and found herself confirming the maps on the table.

"The maps don't lie," she said to Jan.

SnowFire
Marquis
Marquis

Post by SnowFire »

Tyger-i nodded and listened. "I could always use some new tech. Plenty of people willing to buy it too." he grinned. He didn't need any upgrade. He was fit for almost anything after his first encounter. Still cant believe I ain't dead yet. he thought to himself before surveying the map

My characters page