Welcome to the World of Feila!

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

The Warehouse District (Gawain)

This is where all of the Age of Cyborgs role-plays are archived.
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx

The Warehouse District (Gawain)

Post by Rackenhammer » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:58 pm

If the underground market did not exist, it would be necessary to invent it.

Not necessarily just for handling the illegal trade, though that was most of it. All the mass of laws and regulations which had piled up over the centuries to deal with new technologies made getting legal licenses a pain to acquire, and prohibitively expensive for your average entrepreneur to afford. If you wanted to be a start-up, you mostly had to keep it on the down-low, until you built up enough capital to show your face in public.

Everyone knew it happened, and lately a compromise had been more or less set up. The cops wouldn't raid for that kind of business (having more pressing crimes to deal with), provided no kind of fuss was made. You were on your own, as far as theft was concerned, and you'd better pray none of your goods could be traced to any incident that came to the attention of law enforcement.
A lot of the businesses had come to band together lately, in a more or less loose confederation to watch each other's backs. This was in the old warehouse district, on the south edges of the Bayreuth urban sprawl. If you wanted to meet a shopkeeper face-to-face, this was where you went.

Kolin von Drake was just returning from a delivery run. Being a winged hybrid made him ideal as a courier, and he didn't mind working a low-pay job if it got him out of the technocratic circle for now. That scene still wasn't safe for him quite yet.
He came in for a landing within the narrow serviceways in the complex, resting his wings as he walked the rest of the way. His boss always wanted to keep an eye on street level here, information was key in navigating the business...
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Rackenhammer's RP Experience "blog"

e-mail: [email protected]

All my characters in their insane length

Sponsor

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Re: The Warehouse District (Gawain)

Post by Asyriel » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:32 pm

Sasha was in the serviceway, near a door when a winged hybrid came walking toward her. She wasn't overly surprised by his appearance; several of her surveillance drones had spotted him on his way in. The kangaroo leaned against the wall opposite the door, impatiently waiting for an answer or at least a stirring of life. She hated deliveries, and even more deliveries in person, but the customer had paid plenty extra for it. She of course was only a representative of the gunsmith that had done the work, or at least that was the story, and one she was not about to change. She took careful measures to make sure that any dealings with "The Gunsmith" were disguised, and done by proxy in one form or another. Nobody knew "The Gunsmith's" true identity and she wanted to keep it that way. It was thoughts on this subject that made her wonder if maybe she should have had somebody else bring the goods. She continued to watch the hybrid walking toward her, the thermographics in her cybernetic eyes letting her see the heat patterns on him.

"you going in there?" she asked the hybrid as he got close enough for a quiet conversation to be feasible. From her left hand hung a large case, secure, and built to handle a lot of punishment. "I have some goods to drop off, was told to deliver them in person, but nobody's let me in yet." She looked down at the back of her free hand as if looking at an old fashioned wrist watch "and I have other stuff I need to do." she continued as she gave Kolin a slightly skeptical look up and down, almost as if she wasn't quite sure she believed he belonged here.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:58 pm

Kolin was just as unsurprised to see Sasha as she was to see him. It didn't pay to be unobservant, in any sense of the word. He was just about to pass with only an acknowledging nod, when she hailed him.

He knew her as an agent for the Gunsmith's business, but that was about it. His boss didn't do much dealing with the custom-weapon maker, and he'd never been asked to deliver anything to or from him. "I wasn't actually." He replied curtly, eyeing her and the case. "Hm, this is... ah, Ramachandrin's place. He's new here, probably wouldn't know you. Most newcomers get panicky when they start out, don't open any doors to unfamiliar faces. I made sure to give him a welcome first day, on behalf of my boss, so he knows me."
He leaned against the corner of the building, wings tilted forward, in a most unhurried manner. He'd stated the case, now it was up to Sasha to make the offer.

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:23 pm

Shasha looked at Kolin with a frown for a moment, then back at the closed door with an intensity that might make one wonder if she was trying to will the door open. "well..." she said as she dropped the case to the ground. "..what's the price of admission?" she asked the hybrid before a large grin crept onto her face, and it was filled with a malicious glee as an idea came to her mind. "of course, then again...perhaps the customer would like a demonstration of the product's capabilities." she proclaimed as she bent over and began undoing the latches on the case. "it does make quite the test.." she continued as she pulled the lid off the case, and reached down into it. "what would you say that door is...about two inches hardened steel perhaps?" she asked as she pulled out a heavily modified version of the most popular disintegration lance on the market. "I'd give that door five seconds tops." she said as she turned to face Kolin with the weapon held loosely in her grip, and pointed vaguely at the door. She cocked her head to one side in a gesture that could have been childlike were it not for the weaponry in her hands "what do you think?" she asked, the grin returning to her features "I'll treat you to lunch if I'm right.."

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:03 pm

Kolin witheld immediate reply as it seemed that Sasha had another alternative in mind. He raised an eyebrow at her casual revelation of the strongbox's contents. Secrecy could be worth a premium, in this kind of place.

"Well," He drawled out, as he crossed his hands behind his head. "I've never heard that wanton property damage was a good way of establishing business relations with a customer. Doors are not cheap." He leaned forward a bit, to get a closer look at the gun. It hadn't been modded to the point of obscuring its origin, the design was more streamlined. Good engineering, too, by what he could see of it. "That thing could punch through the steel, alright, and you've got a good shot of hitting Mr. Ramachandrin after." He chuckled. "No takers."

He stepped forward suddenly, his voice quicker and more serious. "And if you did hit him, I can personally guarantee you'll never do business here again. Loose canons are not welcome."
Flapping his wings once, he said. "Lunch I call a fair price of admission, provided you promise not to be stupid."

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Post by Kitsunegami » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:10 am

"Now, now. There's no need for that." a familiar feminine voice called from behind the door moments before latches, locks, and several other security measures were disengaged. Out stepped Rosa, a fairly tall, and slightly imposing figure with an archaic music device on her shoulder with its matching audio output. (mp3 player with ear-buds for a reptilian) She was wearing her work clothes with her courier satchel and backpack on.

Rosa grinned at Kolin before kissing him on the cheek, "We still haven't gone on a date, but you're taking her out to lunch?"

"Oh, by the by, Mr. Ramachandrin, I'll have these parcels delivered cross-town and back in 20 minutes. You know I'm good for it." she said with a wink and a grin back inside the shop. "Call me Kolin!" she said before sprinting off at surprising speed, and leaping her way to a higher elevation.

One thing Rosa was known for all over the city was delivering parcels and packages at a competitive speed to most of the vehicle based delivery services, and guaranteed delivery. This made the fact that she did so on foot even more impressive to most who only knew her reputation. Kolin was one of the rare few who knew her outside of her reputation...

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:05 pm

Sasha chuckled at Kolin's assessment "A door can be dealt with, but hitting the customer is never a good idea, though I have to wonder why he would do something so foolish as to hang out on the other side of his door if he wasn't planning on opening it." she mused before setting the weapon back into it's case. "I do like your proposal though, sounds like a win win situation for everyone..you have a deal." she continued as she put the lid back on the case, and latched it back up again, and sighed at the comment about not being stupid. "he makes poor impressions of his own..." she said, not to explain her own behavior, but more the situation. "a delivery from my employer is a rare exception to policy. Considering this, being kept outside waiting for extended amounts of time will raise the price of any further deliveries to him, if he gets anymore at all..." it was then that she heard Rosa's voice from the door. "could be you'll be picking up further shipments for Mr. Ramachandrin instead of me delivering them." she said as the reptile stepped out into the service way. She raised an eyebrow a bit as she watched the interaction between Kolin and Rosa. "I didn't get you into trouble now did I?" she asked quietly as Rosa headed off. She headed for the open door, once again carrying the case she had brought with her. "Mr. Ramachandrin, your order from the gunsmith." she said as she made it to the doorway.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:47 pm

Kolin did have to admit it was odd to keep a called-for delivery waiting, but then a personal staff delivery was rather unusual in and of itself, he explained. "I'm surprised he's sent you out on this job, frankly. Your boss must be real penny-pincher if he won't spring for a courier."

Speaking of, another seemed to have arrived first, explaining Ramachandrin's no-show, and it was one Kolin recognized. "Well, hello Rosa, you've got your hand in I see." He smirked as the reptile kissed him. "This is a business lunch, it doesn't count." He said flippantly.
He gave a courier's salute (a vague three-finger wave in the direction of his forehead) as Rosa went off. In the meantime, Sasha had finished her own delivery, though she may still have been interested in lunch.

"Ach, don't worry about it. Rosa's an old friend of mine, from back in the riot days." The 'riot days' were referring to one of the biggest civil disruptions in Gawain's history since the fall of the Bayreuth wall. As far as anyone could tell, one of the major crime families had suddenly and completely gone bonkers, and went totally crazy on a looting, shooting, and arson spree through three quarters of the city. Some of the poorer sections still hadn't quite recovered from that.
"You still interested in Lunch? I know a couple of good places."

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:46 pm

Sasha nodded "in a way, I suppose he is, though it was requested that someone with knowledge of the work done accompany the delivery so we kill two birds with one stone so to speak. if you'll excuse me, I won't be but a minute or two...and yes, lunch sounds great." with that, she turned to Mr. Ramachandrin "you've kept me waiting, so you get the abridged version" she told him as she dropped the case, and opened it up. "here you've got an M57 MK IV." she said as she once again pulled the weapon out of the case. "we've installed an upgraded power pack, bypassed the power limiter, installed a variable power switch, and upgraded to a military grade barrel to handle the increased power output. Also installed a holographic site with 4Didar interface, and biological safety. Provided everything is in order, I will take payment and be on my way." She said all but the last sentance in one breath and picked up another, smaller, case that was sitting near Mr. Ramachandrin's feet and turned for the door.

Once she was back outside with Kolin she smiled. "so, lunch...you're choice, my treat" she said as she fell into step with him "the riot days huh...so which side of that one were you on?" she asked out of curiosity, and to make conversation

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:30 pm

Sasha's meeting with the customer was brief, a summation of tech specs. Kolin supposed that including them on a chip in the device itself would be asking for it to be traced back. He did offer one comment on it, though. "This handheld arms race seems to be just a little ridiculous at times. I once saw a suit of personal protection so intricately nano-woven to disrupt a disintegrator that an old-fashioned slug thrower could punch a hole right through it." Indeed, Kolin happened to know that Rosa still carried one, though he didn't mention it.

As the pair moved into the city proper, Kolin cast his thoughts back to the riot. "Odd story, actually; I don't think there's more than 20 furs right now who know the real story behind it all. I happened to be acquainted with some of the central actors at the time, so I got an inside view of it. Apparently, the Hyeri syndicate boss, Marcus, had a fallout with his ex-wife, a nasty one too. She wasn't in good shape when she came home, and, unfortunately for Marcus, a dragon had just fallen in lover with her. So what happens? The dragon goes on a rampage against the family, the family strikes back in revenge while the boss loses his rotten mind." He shrugged. "I was on the side of the law enforcement. Didn't like a clown like that tearing up my city, you know?"

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:45 pm

sasha nodded in complete agreement with Kolin's assessment of the handheld arms race, but she couldn't complain, it did keep her hip deep in orders after all. "I'm personally a fan of railgun technology" she commented on the subject of old fashioned slug thowers.

She listened closely as Kolin recounted the story of the riots. "so all of that came about from a vendetta between a syndicate, and a dragon...crazy." she said, shaking her head. "It's probably best that the law took care of that one. I had heard rumors of a bunch of independents putting together a sort of taskforce to put their own end to the trouble before the law finally got things settled. the boss was even planning on supplying weapons. probably would have gotten messy...or messier I suppose." she chuckled "all's well and good till it starts effecting business" she joked. As they moved into the city proper, Sasha looked at their surroundings both from her own view point and that of a couple of her airborne drones. Once she had her bearings, she started using the drones as a sort of real time traffic, and area feed. She had brought the drones with her for the delivery, and now didn't have much else to do with them. "So, where did you have in mind for lunch?" she asked curiously.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:19 pm

"Magnetic launchers? Not bad, but you need to know what you're doing with the power packs, otherwise it throws the balance right off." He shrugged. "As far as I can see, it's more like rock-paper-scissors than anything else. It was always like that; rigid plate was good against bladed weapons, but bullets punched right through. Kevlar dispelled the force, but you could stab a knife right through." He imitated the gesture. "Your best bet is always to know what they're prepared for beforehand, and usually, you can't. Not unless you're three steps ahead of the tech curve." His lips curled up in a smirk. "Or, ten behind."

He batted, cat-like, at one of the drones as it buzzed him. "Not sure where to go, honest. Used to be a good bar here; run by the zebra and dragon I told you about. They had to move out west, witness protection. New guy's not really up to the standard, though I still drop by from time to time. There's a whole street of Piriqui restaurants; they give you a discount if one of your party has wings. Interested?"

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:51 am

"you should see a couple of the ones we have in the shop" Sasha commented about the rail guns. "like works of art....course I may be a little biased" she admitted without remorse. She nodded in response to Kolin's comments about weaponry and armor. "sounds about right...till somebody finds that ultimate trump card at least." She grinned "though I prefer to be on the ahead of side of the tech curve, or better, creating the tech curve." she did quirk a eyebrow at the ten behind comment "I suppose...in some ways maybe...still don't think I'd like to get into a fight while wearing a siute of full plate though."

She puased a moment to think about Kolin's lunch suggestion. As she did, she continued to monitor the feed from her drones, more out of habit than anything else. "Piriqui food sounds good to me if that's your choice, I'll never turn down a discount" she said with a laugh as she waited for Kolin to take the lead, falling in step with him.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:31 pm

"Ah." Kolin replied to Sasha in a rather curiously-intoned monosyllable, more like an explorer who had finally figured out a secret and filed away the meaning for later, than one who'd listened to an engineer explain their trade.
"I'm more methodic than creative as an engineer, myself. I suppose you might call me a 'reverse-engineer,' save, perhaps, for a few imaginative blueprints of astronautical vehicles from my younger days." He looked up into the sky and sighed. "The sky makes such a restrictive limit, especially in these parts."

He shook his head as he guided her into a restaurant. He was apparently a familiar figure, greeted warmly by the waitress who staffed the little eatery at this hour. "What will you take?" The hybrid asked as he perched upon his chair. "The curries are consistently good, and the Tikka Masala is as fine as any that have come out of... The East." He spoke the phrase like a Euphemism, covering some horrible secret.

Asyriel
God
United States of America

Post by Asyriel » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:00 pm

"reverse engineer...maybe I don't want to show you anything after all." Sasha replied in playful tones. She followed his gaze to the sky, "there are ways around restrictions.." she commented "some are harder to find of course, but with proper dilligence..." she trailed off as they arrived at their destination. She smiled and greeted the waitress as they entered the eatery. "it's been a while since I've had a good curry" she replied as she looked over the menu "which would you reccomend?" she asked "seems you come here often enough that you would know which ones are the best." she said with a smile. she raised an eyebrow at Kolin's last comment. "The East?" she asked