Welcome to the World of Feila!

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

A Good Life (Dmitri, various) (Restarted) (Open)

This is where all of the Age of Space role-plays are archived.
Ziger
Baron

Re: A Good Life (Dmitri, various) (Restarted) (Open)

Post by Ziger » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:10 pm

Dutch tilted his head over the edge of the book to try and peek at the text, but it closed before he could get a better angle. The small rabbit thought of what Blackjack said about the bible, but then grinned to himself. "Well, obviously the book isn't for every one! After all, how could that book account for you being my creator?" Dutch chuckled and climbed up onto the back of the couch, sitting precariously on the edge. He repeated each new word as the wolf spoke them, eyeing the cover of the book as it was brought into view. "Steven King?... Fiction?" He also gave the cover a quick sniff for good measure. "Salem's Lot." Dutch tilted his head and scanned the picture for context clues before looking up to Blackjack with an inquisitive frown. "Why would any one write a book of lies, Creator Jack? It seems counter productive to publish lies instead of facts and views."

Dutch fell quiet as the wolf began to answer his question. He sat quietly and proudly as Blackjack spoke of his lifespan, having overshot the expected date by some time now. Little bunny hips began to wiggle in place in anticipation of the answer that was to come. He could already imagine himself dashing about the Creator's place of business, fixing things, rewiring broken components, showing him his real worth as the living, thinking, problem solving, think-tank of a mechanic and electrician he was! Then the answer finally came, and Dutch nearly burst with excitement! The little rabbit began to bounce in place, until finally, the excited little pitter patter of feet took him right over the edge of the couch, and fell behind it with a soft, padded thump! Fur bottomed feet quickly set to full speed, carrying him around the couch with quite the power slide, drifting around one end to collied with the front of the couch. He peeked his head up over the edge of the couch and grinned wide. "Yes, Creator Jack! I love it! I'll finally be able to repay you for all the great things you did for me!" He practically dances in place before skittering off. "I must explore my new home!" He took off, running into the hallway.

There he came to a complete stop, and his brightly colored eyes grew wide. 'Stranger! I've been spotted! Calm down Dutch, just act like a pet would. Just don't give away what you really are.' The little dutch bunny stared up at the Belgian, tail pom twitching nervously behind him. He churred and tilted his head, looking back to the room where he had just come from.

Sponsor

DamonMcLarren
Outlaw
Species: wolf

Post by DamonMcLarren » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:00 pm

Blackjack nodded as Dutch examined the fine leather cover of the book. "Because, while not informative, it allows people to use their imagination, and possibly escape to another time and place for a while. Reading a novel is a form of entertainment for many, though today it is mostly done with haptic-tablets. I prefer the old fashoined ink and paper, however."

Blackjack laughs a little as Dutch runs around in his excitement, then looks up as the door opens, watching the Belgian Shepard poke his head in. He sighs a bit and puts his book aside, standing up with a stretch. "Well, you've found him," he replies to the Shepard's question, looking him over. "What can I help you with?" He puts his paws on his hips, studying the Shepard a bit.
"When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye
I turned to look, but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown, the dream is gone
And I have become comfortably numb"
~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack

VC_Wolffe
Rogue
Species: Belgian Shepherd

Post by VC_Wolffe » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:29 pm

VC, now focusing on the person sitting in the middle of the room.
He suddenly felt like a small child. He squeezed his way through the door and stood next to it.
His body was small and thin, his clothes hung off his small body, reviling his starved stomach and twitching muscles.
He was nervous but wanted the job, so he decided to just go for it.
He took small gulp and tried he best to maintain eye contact.
“I hear you have a job. I was told to come back here and talk to you about it.”
He obviously was not a native speaker of the language, but with some effort, he was easy to under stand.
Now that he started talking he became more confident. He took a few small steps closer and kept talking.
“Now, before you ask. I may be a little young. (pauses for a moment, then lies) I’m 21 years of age. But I got more experience in those 21 years then most have in 60 years. I can cook, I can clean, I can make drinks you never even heard of before. I can speak over 7 languages. 3 of them are trade, 2 are interplanetary, and the other 2 are local dialects.”
He blathers on, trying to give his entire résumé before BlackJack could turn him away.
Finally stops, running out of breath. Then waits, nervously watching for any signs from BlackJack.
Character Information
Talk to me about Ghost Writing for you!

Review my story.
http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2813648/1/Origin

Ziger
Baron

Disaproving Bunny

Post by Ziger » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:38 pm

Relief swept through Dutch when the attention shifted from him to his creator, allowing him to feel more comfortable around the stranger. Never the less, it was desirable to be noticeable to some one he didn't know. The little rabbit skittered back into the living room he had just come out of, peeking dark furred head back into the hall to see what the stranger wanted. Short Dutch ears stand on end as the strange canine spoke to Blackjack, spitting out as much about himself as the newcomer possibly could before being told to stop. The dog's apparent accent didn't bother the duct runner much, since Dutch had to learn quite the array of of languages, and knew all too well that it was impossible to speak each one perfectly, but the stranger's manners did strike a chord on the little one's nerves.

'He walks into Creator Jack's home uninvited, and sputters off his life's story with out so much as apologizing for bothering Creator Jack, or offering his own name,' thought Dutch, ears folding back atop his head. They were signs of disrespect, according to the duct runner, who saw Blackjack as a sort of demigod. Dutch clenched his jaws firmly to keep from letting anything slip. The only way he could show more disrespect to the creator than the stranger had, would be to break yet another rule, and give away the true nature of what the dog must have perceived as Blackjack's pet.

DamonMcLarren
Outlaw

Post by DamonMcLarren » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:52 pm

Blackjack waits until the dog has finished, his paws on his hips. When the Shepard finally runs out of breath, the wolf says. "Couple things you could've done better, just there, 'specially since you're lookin' for a job. You could start with knocking on the door instead of just opening it and walking in, this is my house after all, not the club. Second, try introducing yourself before you give me your life's story, it makes first impressions quite a bit nicer. Third, don't lie. You're not 21 and we both know it, and I'm pretty confident that you could name off any drink in your memory, and I could tell you where it came from and what's in it. I'm not impressed by bragging."

His words and tone make it obvious that he's a bit annoyed with the young dog, and he sighs a bit. "Now, what do you say we start over, and treat this like it's not the Biography Channel.1 Hi, I'm Blackjack, what's your name?"

1. A reference that VC and Dutch probably won't understand, as they weren't around for "old fashioned" television. :P
2. Just so everyone is clear about the layout of the house, I drew this. http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/1600/housesketch.jpg
Last edited by DamonMcLarren on Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack

VC_Wolffe
Rogue

Post by VC_Wolffe » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:12 am

VC pulled his hands out of his pockets.
“Rude? You want-”
He cut himself off.
Now defiantly wasn’t the time.
“Call it a bad habit…”
He changed into a smile.
“Sure. I’m called VC. I really am 21.” He insisted, besides no one had cared before, why should they start now?
He crossed his arms before continuing on.
“And its not bragging if its true.”
He decided to let this Blackjack guy lead off the next conversation.
Blackjack seemed like another one of those picky hires.
Rights, protocols, procedures, courtesies, BAH!
If you had something to say, say it.
That’s how VC worked.
As he thought, he glanced around the room, and for the first time noticed the rabbit thing sitting a ways away.
He watched it a little bit, then turned away, it didn’t interest him in the slightest.
Character Information

Review my story.

Ziger
Baron

Post by Ziger » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:12 pm

[Skip me. There's not a whole lot of interaction for Dutch, and I'm too drained to come up with filler episode.]

DamonMcLarren
Outlaw

Post by DamonMcLarren » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:17 pm

Blackjack hasn't neglected to notice just how thin the Shepard is, or how nervous he seems. A twinge of compassion flutters through him, despite being annoyed with the young dog. He knew what it was like to be starving, knew how hard it was to survive on your own, and remembered well the brashness that youth sometimes brought on. He cocks an eyebrow at VC.

"No, you're not 21," he says. "It doesn't honestly matter if you're younger than that as far as hiring goes, the point is, you're lying to me. What that tells me is that I can't trust you to be honest with me in the future. I'm not going to hire someone I don't feel that I can trust, and it should be the same with almost any other employer." He crosses his arms over his chest. "I can, however, see that you really want the job. I can also see that your stomach is empty. Why don't you come and sit, I'll make you something to eat if you'll have it, and we can talk a bit more before I decide whether to hire you or not. Sound all right?"
~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack

VC_Wolffe
Rogue

Post by VC_Wolffe » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:19 pm

VC couldn’t help but put on a slight annoyed facial expression.
Not 21.
So Blackjack was worried about VC being honest.
VC smiled a bit at the statement.
It seemed kind of ironic, Most people wouldn’t expect a bartender to be picky about honesty and trust.
Seemed odd, VC thought, that Blackjack was seriously considering hiring some one he knew was not over 21. Maybe something else was going on.
See my stomach is empty?
Its been empty for 18 years.
VC couldn’t remember a time when we wasn’t starving.
But he had gotten used to the feeling.
VCs suspicions’ jumped through the roof as soon as Blackjacks tone changed.
They went even farther when he offered VC to sit down.
A strange place, a strange person, and a strange planet.
Why would Blackjack be so hospitable to some one he didn’t even know?
VC imminently became worried.
He wanted the job, and food sounded nice, but things seemed off here.
Like something wasn’t quite right.
After a slight pause VC made his choice.
“I’ll stand thanks. And I’m not hungry.”
VC knew he lying, he was very hungry. But his uneasiness got the better of him.
As for standing, VC felt like he shouldn’t get too comfortable in this place for some reason.
That and he didn’t want to get Blackjack mad when his dirt rubbed off onto the furniture.
VC took a few more steps closer though and tried to act friendly.
“So, I am guessing your not thinking of a drink mixer. What kind of job do you have in mind?”
Character Information

Review my story.

DamonMcLarren
Outlaw

Post by DamonMcLarren » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:54 pm

Blackjack shrugs when VC declines his offer of food and seating. If he wanted to let himself starve, then so be it, it was his choice. "You'd be behind the bar quite a bit actually. The job includes but isn't necessarily limited to mixing and serving drinks, short order cooking, cleaning, and waiting tables. You're to be polite and courteous to the customers, and if someone has a problem you would send them to me. You'd also be responsible for handling money and making sure that customers pay the proper amount. Any tips that you make are yours and remain off the record. Room and board in an apartment above the bar are included with the job if you need it, and you eat free, provided you don't make a complete pig of yourself. I wouldn't expect you to perform any bouncing duties. I would start you off working with me so I can get a feel for how you perform individual tasks, and once I feel comfortable with your abilities I'd give you your own shift, most likely in the mornings to start. I'd start you at minimum wage while I feel out your skills, and bump you up to higher pay if you make the cut. If you have trouble with your duties, I'll help you until you get them down. Does that sound reasonable to you?"

The wolf leans back against a bookcase as he talks, obtaining a comfortable posture and waiting for VC's reply.
~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack

VC_Wolffe
Rogue

Post by VC_Wolffe » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:55 am

(Sorry, I was thinking Ziger was next. Then I reread the order and realized everyone was waiting on me. OOPS.)
Hmmm..
VC thought over Blackjacks offer only because he felt saying ‘yes’ right off the bat would be uncouth.
“Sounds like a plan. Whats minimum wage around here?”
VC began to smirk a bit, working his hands over.
Working was a good thing to be doing. It helped keep your mind off how bad things may really be.
Truth be told, VC couldn’t wait till he started getting back to work.
Seems Blackjack didn’t wasn’t concerned, about his age anymore.
VC began to nervously fidget as he stood in front of Blackjack.
Character Information

Review my story.

Ziger
Baron

Post by Ziger » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:55 pm

Dutch smiled up at his creator with a sense of pride that he was a product of such a noble, caring person. The duct runner had been on countless vessels and seen the way people treated each other. Blackjack was a category all his own. 'This rough stranger just pads on in, demands a job, turns down your hospitality, and tells you that you are wrong again and again, but still you let him in under your shelter,' thought Dutch, admiring the tall wolf. 'I should not be so surprised, as he took something as unrefined as me and created a conscious being, but he is just so unlike every one else I've seen!' Dutch sat tall, or as tall as he could, at the thought that Jack was as good as a demigod, this idea that the wolf was near sinless.

Dutch was having a hard time resisting the urge to talk, but sat true to his earlier belief. The only way he could be worse than this stranger, was to break another code right before the creator's eyes! The rabbit bit his tongue, standing by should his creator need him for any reason.

DamonMcLarren
Outlaw

Post by DamonMcLarren » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:48 am

"600 Dinars a week, or 15 Dinars an hour. I pay by the hour, as some shifts are shorter than others depending on how the schedule works out. That's better than any minimum wage you would find in a Felian colony. If you like the deal, you start tonight, when I go back to the club. If I decide to keep you on, we'll go through the paperwork and officially make you an employee. If not, it's off the record."

There was a good bit of doubt brewing in the back of Blackjack's head about this skinny pup that had shown up at his door. He thought it likely that VC was bluffing about quite a few of his skills, and knew that he still hadn't told him his real age. Still, he was comfortable enough financially to hire him on a trial basis and see how he did. If he was at least a hard worker and didn't steal from the register then the biomechanical wolf really didn't see a problem with training him properly and keeping him. It would all be determined in time.

Blackjack straightens and walks towards VC, holding out his paw for him to shake. "Do we have a deal?"

~Pink Floyd

Links to Characters
Damon (outdated)
Blackjack

VC_Wolffe
Rogue

Post by VC_Wolffe » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:54 pm

VC looks down at Blackjacks extended paw.
He couldn’t help but smile, as he happily shook it with a firm handshake.
“Agreed. You won’t regret it.”
He felt good about this deal for some reason, and he was determined to make the most of it.
VCs eyes began to wonder around the room. Then rested on the strange rabbit like creature again.
VC began to feel uneasy at its stare, but since Blackjack didn’t talk about it, VC felt it wasn’t worth worrying about.
He then looked away, feeling like he may have stared a bit too long.
“What about that room?”
Feeling like he needed to quickly change the subject before Blackjack reconsidered, he tried to find out more on the room.
Not that it mattered, VC could sleep anywhere, and often did.
But a room would be a nice change of pace.
Even more so if it was heated.
Character Information

Review my story.