Odd Jobs

This is where all of the Age of Space role-plays are archived.
Asyriel
God
God

Re: Odd Jobs

Post by Asyriel »

Sakura had been fairly oblivious to the shop proprietor's look, so it was a look of slight confusion that she cast down on App as he made his comment. "what would he think?" she asked innocently. "All we did was buy you a flight suit...and with legitimate currency even."

“So, should we go load the ship?”

Sakura frowned and shook her head. "much as I'd like to, the supplies won't be there till morning." She yawned, her mouth open wide, and showing teeth as she did. "we should probably get some rest so we can be there to load them bright and early." she commented as she started walking in the general direction she remembered her hotel to be. "I can give you some money if you wish to go pick yourself up some weaponry...or we can just worry about that later. Other than that, you're welcome to stay the night with me if you wish." she offered as they walked.

Sponsor

osprey77
Marquis
Marquis
Species: Black Cat/Raven

Post by osprey77 »

App opened his mouth to explain his comment, then thought better of it. Most Dmitri furs didn’t care what others thought—why else were the Gen Mods common?—but App’s father of course, was not so easy-going, and App was beginning to realize he’d picked up more than just sword fighting form his father. “Nothing just…I’m probably a little young—in his eyes—for space travel.”

Yawning is, of course, contagious, but App had learned a trick to stop himself from getting caught in the cycle. He swallowed hard, suppressing the impulse, but began to realize that he was tired, too.

"I can give you some money if you wish to go pick yourself up some weaponry...or we can just worry about that later.”

App tried to imagine what carrying either enough money for a weapon, or the weapon itself in the neighborhood of his hotel would lead to, and it was not the best mental picture. “Let’s just worry about that later.”

Then Sakura offered to let him spend the night in her hotel room. He remembered the couch, decidedly more comfortably than the lumpy bed in his current lodgings, but he still hesitated. It’s not like that, App! Despite the mental reprimand, he was on the cusp of refusing the offer, when he remembered the shrewd look in the eye of the goat who’d been in the lobby of his hotel this morning, most likely picking out App as the runaway he was. It was probably not the best idea to go back anytime soon.

“Sure, why not? It’s this way, by the way…”
"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C. S. Lewis

"With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere."
C. S. Lewis

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"
C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:
http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5253

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Sakura nodded as App decided to wait on getting any weapons.

“Sure, why not? It’s this way, by the way…”

Great, that will make things much easier in the morning" she said with a big grin. She grimaced a bit as App pointed out that she had headed off in the wrong direction. "oops...navigating cities isn't exactly my strong point" she said sheepishly as she fell into step beside App, heading for the hotel.

Once they reached the hotel, Sakura led the way up to the room, completely ignoring any dirty looks that may have been thrown their way as they crossed the lobby. Once in the room, Sakura let out a sigh, and stretched. "make yourself at home" She said with a smile "you hungry for anything?" she asked as she headed toward the bedroom, determined to change into something more suitable for bed.

osprey77
Marquis
Marquis

Post by osprey77 »

App managed a grin as Sakura ‘course corrected,’ choosing to say nothing for risk of going too far with the teasing. His smile faded as they entered the hotel, though the young hybrid didn’t know if the dirty looks were because of his admittedly shabby appearance, or the odd sight the pair of them made.

*“There are times when one cannot avoid making a scene, my son. In such situations, the temptation is to run away, but that destroys whatever chance you have appearing respectable. Instead walk forward, head held high, with measured tread, with such an air of confidence that those same furs who would cast aspersions at you have cause to doubt their own assumptions.”*

The memory of his father’s words might have been sweeter, if App hadn’t heard the old fur mutter as he went upstairs: *“And with the changes he’s made, he’ll need that advice…”* It had been the night after the first Gen Mod—the night things started to go wrong.

Even as he felt the sting of resentment, he followed his father’s words, not dropping his stance until they were in Sakura’s room—far from prying eyes.

"Make yourself at home. You hungry for anything?"

“What? Oh, no, I’m fine. Dinner at Izzy’s is always filling, to say the least.” He stretched, yawning. “See you in the morning, Sakura.”
C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"
C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Sakura smiled "till morning then" she replied before shutting the door to the bedroom. She stripped off her clothes as she headed for the bed. She fell asleep soon after her head hit the pillow, marveling a just how comfortable a hotel bed could be after extended time in space.

She woke early the next morning, tiptoeing quietly to the shower in an attempt to keep from waking App. A short time later, she headed back toward the bedroom, wrapped in a towel. She phoned down to the lobby to get something sent up for breakfast before she changed into a set of coveralls and a tank top, suitable clothes for a day of loading supplies and working on the ship. Dressed once again, she emerged from the bedroom and set to waking App up.

She went over to where App was sleeping, and leaned in close enough that the end of her muzzle was nearly touching his. She then proceeded to softly poke him in the side while calling his name. "App...App...wakey wakey..."

osprey77
Marquis
Marquis

Post by osprey77 »

App sat bolt upright, instantly awake. The downside was that Sakura hadn’t pulled back, so the two ended up banging their heads together. “Sorry about that!” the young hybrid exclaimed, rubbing his temple.

Noting Sakura’s coveralls, he glanced down at his own shabby outfit. He hadn’t been kidding when he said he didn’t travel with luggage, but then again, it didn’t particularly matter to him if this outfit got messed up, so he figured he didn’t need to change.

App stretched a bit, then bounced to his feet. While he was never one to call himself a ‘morning person’ he was blessed with the trait of being able to come fully awake pretty much instantaneously—a fact which often annoyed his more sleep-prizing friends at school.

“So, breakfast, then loading the ship?” Anyone looking at the bouncing, fidgeting, and, above all, grinning figure would instantly give one diagnosis—hyperactively excited.
C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Sakura chuckled as she regained an upright position. "no need to apologize, got a thick skull" she replied with a wink as rapped her own forehead with a knuckle. "besides, that probably wasn't the smartest thing to do on my part" she continued. She was a little surprised at the energy App had so early in the morning.

“So, breakfast, then loading the ship?”

"indeed" Sakura replied "breakfast should be here any moment" She couldn't help but smile at App's excitement, she couldn't blame him for being excited either, today was a tangible step closer to realizing his goal of making it into space. A knock at the door brought her out of her thoughts. "And that should be breakfast now" she said cheerfully as she headed for the door. she came back wheeling a cart with trays on top of it. The trays were piled with eggs, sausage, toast, fresh fruit and pancakes as well as a carafe of freshly brewed coffee. "I wasn't sure what you would want so I ordered a bit of a variety. I hope it's ok." she said as she set to loading a plate for herself with a little bit of everything. "mmm...good fresh food is one thing you miss when you are out traveling in space, that's for sure" She commented as she ate.

When breakfast was finished, Sakura let App take the lead as the pair headed to the spaceport. Once there, she led them to her ship.
"there she is, Inari" Sakura commented as they arrived at the dock her ship was at. The ship was nothing like the typical Dmitrian, or Feilan ship. It didn't resemble a sea vessel, nor did it have any detachable modules like nearly all Dmitrian ships. It's design was much closer to that of an ancient aircraft, though not quite as aerodynamic. "heh....history classes may have influenced my design a bit" she commented as she headed toward the supplies that were being dropped off near the ship.

osprey77
Marquis
Marquis

Post by osprey77 »

App grinned ruefully at Sakura’s ‘thick skull’ comment. “The scales probably help, too,” he observed, rubbing his wolf’s head until the last remaining vestiges of pain were gone.

Breakfast arrived, and App’s eyes widened. “Variety sounds great! Looks good, too.” With no more commentary, he set into the meal, following Sakura’s lead by taking a bit of everything.

"Mmm...good fresh food is one thing you miss when you are out traveling in space, that's for sure."

App’s head came up from his meal at this comment, and tilted to one side as he thought about it, remembering both his mother and father saying similar things. He shrugged. *If that’s the price to pay…Well, it’s not like we’ll never come back.*

Finally, the time came to see the ship. It was quite fair to say that App had never seen anything like it. He circled the small craft slowly, taking in the unique features and design.

"Heh....history classes may have influenced my design a bit."

“It’s incredible! To come up with a design like that from scratch…you definitely weren’t kidding when you said you had a knack for engineering!” App left off his inspection to go help Sakura with the supplies. “How’d you even begin to come up with a design like that?”
C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

“It’s incredible! To come up with a design like that from scratch…you definitely weren’t kidding when you said you had a knack for engineering!”

Sakura tried, unsuccessfully, to hide the deep blush that came to her scales. "thank you for the compliment" she replied

“How’d you even begin to come up with a design like that?”

Sakura paused a moment at App's question as she thought about it. "well, like I said...my history classes had some influence. The first mechanical flight of furs, the first jets, stealth technology, and even early spacecraft all fascinated me. I'd heard what the nickname for most current spacecraft, had seen a few Dmitrian ships, and pictures of Feilan ships....I wanted to do something different, so I started with old aircraft designs, and changed a few things, and adapted what needed to be for space travel." Sakura smiled as she looked at her ship. "She's fast and maneuverable, and does pretty well in atmospheric flight as well. I designed her to be fast, and long range without sacrificing too much in the way of mobility. She's a match for most fighters out there as well as having some heavier armaments." She shrugged as pulled out a remote from a pocket and hit a button on it. The cargo hatch on the underside of the ship opened up and she grabbed a case of rations from the quickly growing stack. "c'mon and check it out...if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask" she said with a smile as she started up the ramp into the ship.

Inside the ship was a cargo area with a decent amount of space, to the left was the captain's, shower, and toilet. On the right side of the ship were quarters for the other two crew members, as well as the ration warmer, and dining area. In the front bulkhead were two doors, and a small fitness area, the door on the left led through a short hallway into the cockpit, and the other into the food storage room. Near the rear of the ship was a large bin set into the floor where the slugs for the rail gun could be stored for use.

"rations go in the front, the door on the right." she said as she headed for said door. "you can have whichever of the living quarters you prefer on the right side of the ship" she continued as she put the case she was carrying into the storage room. "want to see the cockpit?" she asked as she came back out of the room.

osprey77
Marquis
Marquis

Post by osprey77 »

App followed Sakura to the waiting supplies as she told the story of designing the ship and of all her influences. He smiled at the pride in his new friend’s voice as she extolled the virtues of her ship. “She’s a beauty all right, Sakura.”

He followed her inside, looking everywhere, taking in the details. It was an unusual design, but it adhered to the one value that mattered in any space craft: economy of space. App poked his head briefly into the crew’s quarters, before heading to set down the box of rations.

"Want to see the cockpit?"

“Absolutely! Lead the way!” A sudden thought struck App. When he’d started to call her miss, she’d insisted on a first name. But now that she was his boss on a more permanent basis…“Hey, Sakura, when we’re ‘on duty’ or in front of customers, is there a title I should use? Boss or captain, or something like that?” Both his mother and father had flown for merchant corporations—App had no idea how the hierarchy worked for independent civilians.
C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Sakura led the way through the door in the front bulkhead, and down the short hallway into the cockpit of the ship.

“Hey, Sakura, when we’re ‘on duty’ or in front of customers, is there a title I should use? Boss or captain, or something like that?”

Sakura stopped, and turned around to look at App "captain?" she wrinkled her nose, and shook her head....way to formal...especially for a ship this size. "I'm not sure I should have a title, I saw this as more an endeavor of mutual friendship, but if you want to use a title...boss would work I suppose, but only in front of customers please." She would have preferred not to have any kind of title, but figured she would give App the option. After a moment she turned to face toward the cockpit windows. "so, here it is" she said while making an expansive gesture. "Sensors station is off to the right" she said gesturing to the seat for the sensors operator. "feel free to take a look, I'll explain everything once we get on our way...should have plenty of time then." she said with a grin as she looked over to her own seat in the center of the cockpit. "oh, there's a message" she said as she flipped on a screen. A short, to the point message was displayed.

Courier requested to deliver to Von Drake Observatory.
please reply to: Light Weaponry Specialties LTD.

Thank you for your time.

"Well, looks like we've found ourselves a potential job already." She commented cheerfully "lets get things loaded, and go check out the details"

osprey77
Marquis
Marquis

Post by osprey77 »

One look at Sakura’s face, and it was clear she was reluctant to take on any kind of title. “Boss, and just in front of customers—got it. Sorry, but I figured having someone as young as me on the crew would look a bit odd to some people, especially if I didn’t use any terms of respect.”

With that out of the way, he began to take in the cockpit, noting the three stations, especially the one she identified as the sensor station—his post. We stepped over to it, eyes flicking from display to display, recognizing some of the gauges his mother had taught him about, at a loss when it came to others.

"Feel free to take a look, I'll explain everything once we get on our way...should have plenty of time then."

*Right,* App thought, remembering her promise to teach him. *You don’t have to be an expert on day one.*

He sat down, getting a feel for the station, trying to familiarize himself with the various computers and controls.

"Oh, there's a message!"

App sprang up and walked over, reading over her shoulders. His excitement grew suddenly less, and he began to feel a little queasy.

"Well, looks like we've found ourselves a potential job already. Let’s get things loaded, and go check out the details."

Apollo swallowed, trying to hide his nerves, and indeed, his own reservations as he followed her out to help with the rest of the loading. However, he couldn’t help asking: “Von Drake observatory? Isn’t that…you know…Feilan?”

The young hybrid glanced down self-consciously as he helped to load the rest of the supplies. Most people on Dmitri didn’t give him a second glance—indeed, at lot of the furs his age thought it was a great look for him. Btu if his father’s reaction was anything to go by…*We’ll get laughed off the station. Hopefully, they’d let us finish the job…but what if they don’t? And what kind of Feilan observatory orders from a Dmitrian weapons supplier?* He wasn’t sure if the implied connection to Dmitri was a good thing or a bad thing…

*Well, plan for the worst, hope for the best, I suppose…*
C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

“Von Drake observatory? Isn’t that…you know…Feilan?”

Sakura tilted her head a little bit, and looked at App curiously for a moment before she answered. "it is...it's where they send people they want to get rid of...from what I've heard at least." She frowned in thought for another moment. "we may want to pick up some clothing a little more in the Feilan style on the way....if we get the chance" she thought aloud.

"you worried?" she asked as she headed for the door back into the main hull area of the ship. She immediately set to getting the supplies loaded onto the ship. While she still dedicated a portion of her attention to App, and anything he wanted to discuss, she put the majority of it on the task at hand.

once all of the supplies were loaded, she turned her full attention back to App. "ready?" she asked "do you know where the shop in the message is, or do we need to look it up?"

osprey77
Marquis
Marquis

Post by osprey77 »

App wasn’t sure how to explain his reaction in a way that didn’t sound like what it was: bias bordering on superstition. After all, in his mind, he’s runaway to avoid being shipped to Feila, and it was difficult for him to imagine willingly going to an station/planet associated with his father’s home…

Bit of a stupid position, he reminded himself, Considering independents like us are often called on for jobs like this. I’m just going to have to get over it.

Easier said, er, thought, than done, but it seemed Sakura had misinterpreted his reluctance:

"We may want to pick up some clothing a little more in the Feilan style on the way....if we get the chance."

App managed a grin. ‘Yeah, that’s probably best…don’t want to frighten the locals, after all…”

They continued loading supplies, and App was more than willing to concentrate on the task at hand.

“You worried?”

“Me? Nah. Just—” How could he explain it? “Surprised. A Feilan observatory getting a shipment from a Dmitrian weapons supplier? Bit odd, if you ask me…”

After that, he fell silent until the task was completed, hoping Sakura wouldn’t pry more. I’ll be fine. In fact, start with a hard job like this, and it’ll get easier…right?*

"Do you know where the shop in the message is, or do we need to look it up?"

App winced, shrugging. “Beats me. I guess we’ll have to look it up. I hope it’s not too far away…”
C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

"A Feilan observatory getting a shipment from a Dmitrian weapons supplier? Bit odd, if you ask me…”

Sakura paused "yeah, I suppose it is a bit odd...perhaps there's something nefarious being plotted" she said that last bit with a hint of excitement and a small grin. "that or it's some kind of personal delivery...guess we'll find out soon enough."

“Beats me. I guess we’ll have to look it up. I hope it’s not too far away…”

"all right then, let's go see what we can find out" she replied before heading to a nearby directory. The directory indicated that the business in question was not far away at all, only a few blocks from the port itself. Sakura let App take the lead, figuring he'd probably find the way easier than she would.

The shop itself was not too large, but it was well stocked with a variety of personal weapons; slug throwers, and ammunition as well as swords in a variety of styles all seemed to be of high quality craftsmanship.

A tall female snow leopard stepped in from a back room "yes, how can I help you today?" she asked as she looked at the pair. She was wearing clothes that could have been considered conservative by Dmitrian standards, but at the same time rather liberal by Feilan standards, it was about as close as one could come to a middle ground as far as fashion went. Judging by her clothing an mannerisms, one could probably safely deduce that she had spent a fair amount of time among the people of both cultures.
"we're here about a courier job." Sakura replied. she then leaned down to App's ear "if you're interested in a weapon, now's your chance to take a look" she whispered to him.
"Ah, yes" the feline replied with a smile "I thank you for your prompt response. I have a package that needs to be delivered to a miss Catalina Tamiko aboard the Von Drake Observatory. I need it to arrive as quickly as possible"
Sakura nodded "I think we can handle that, now I suppose we should discuss compensation..."