Odd Jobs

This is where all of the Age of Space role-plays are archived.
osprey77
Marquis
Marquis
Species: Black Cat/Raven

Re: Odd Jobs

Post by osprey77 »

App couldn’t help shaking his head at Sakura’s excitement at the idea of ‘something nefarious.’ On the other hand, it did sound interesting. Their task completed, they were soon on their way to the weapons shop, which was thankfully not too hard to find.

App’s eyes darted around, taking everything in. He noticed the dual influence, and it began to seem less strange that someone, even a Feilan, would order form this particular supplier. Then the shopkeeper appeared, and App had to hide a smile. *Try to avoid offending anyone, and you end up in a position where you could look strange to everyone.*

"If you're interested in a weapon, now's your chance to take a look."

App nodded silently, leaving Sakura to carry on the business negotiations, feeling that this was more her forte than his. He drifted over to the sword display, trying to find one with the right weight and balance for him. He wasn’t big or strong, so he tended more towards lightweight sabers or rapiers.

The young hybrid found one he liked the look of, and lifted it form the rack, testing the feel of it. It was a rapier with a basket hilt but simple, unadorned pommel. The blade had no special markings, but it was well-balanced. App tested it a little. It wasn’t too heavy, as rapiers tended not to be, but it wasn’t flimsy, either. *You can cut, but you can’t slash,* App reminded himself, thinking of his Father’s lessons in swordplay. Fighting with a light blade was all about outthinking and outmaneuvering your opponent, not out-smashing them.

Apollo looked at the price. It was fairly reasonable, especially for a sword of this quality, and he knew his mind was made up. He stood, waiting for Sakura to finish her negotiations with the leopard.
"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C. S. Lewis

"With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere."
C. S. Lewis

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"
C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:
http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5253

Sponsor

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Sakura had pulled out a small datapad and was working the calculations for fuel, and ration consumption for the trip.

"I do want this package to be hand delivered to it's intended recipient, not left in one of the cargo bays for someone else to take." their client clarified
"not a problem, we'll take it to her ourselves, we'll let nothing stand in our way" Sakura replied "here's our estimate" Sakura continued as she handed over the datapad. she looked over at App and noticed that it seemed he had picked out a blade for himself "oh, and my associate will need a blade, we can take the price out of my estimate if that is agreeable"
The snow leopard nodded, then looked over at App. She arched an eyebrow as she looked at him, and the blade he had chosen "you sure that's the one you want?" she asked as she made an adjustment to the figures on the datapad, and handed it back to Sakura.

Sakura took the pad, looked it over, and nodded "all right then, I believe we're in business" She said with a grin as she put her signature into the pad and waited for their client to do the same.

"I'll have the package at your ship within the hour" the snow leopard said as Sakura waited for App to be ready so they could depart.

osprey77
Marquis
Marquis

Post by osprey77 »

"You sure that's the one you want?"

“Yes, ma’am,” App replied, but her bit back a more…acerbic reply. *What did she mean by that? Oh, calm down, App,* he told himself. *Most Dmitri teenagers couldn’t care less about swords, and those that are exceptions typically go for heavier blades. She’s probably just surprised.* He smiled at the leopard, but it was not exactly warm or genuine…indeed, he was rather hoping to get the typical ‘I’m unnerved but I’m not going to show it’ reaction his crocodile teeth usually earned him. A bit juvenile, yes, but her skeptical tone had annoyed him.

The leopard turned back to Sakura, and it seemed their business was almost concluded. App reached back with one scaly arm and found the part of his belt the sword would slip through, then proceeded to secure his new blade. His belt had earned him more than one sideways glance on Dmitri, as it was his father’s sword belt, but the hybrid had held onto it in the hopes of one day having a sword of his own. *And now, I do.*

“Ready when you are, Sakura,” he said, when he realized the dragon was waiting on him.
C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"
C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

"All right then, let's get going. We need to get started on the pre-flight checks if we want to be ready to go when the package arrives" Sakura replied with a grin as she headed out the door.
She let App take the lead back to the ship. Once they arrived, Sakura wasted no time in opening the ship again, and heading for the cockpit. "alright.." she said as she led the way through the ship. "We need to make sure everything is working properly before we can set out." She bumped a WRASS robot with her foot, waiting for it to boot up. "that guy will take care of a lot of the tedious stuff for us." she said, indicating the now powering on robot. "but it still falls on us to double check fuel levels, engine output, flight controls, as well as the sensors. "since we're already here, we may as well start at the sensors panel" she said as she headed to the aforementioned panel.

Sakura took the time to explain every check she went through as she showed App what she was doing, and what the different results meant. She also explained what the results would be if something were broken or not working properly. She did this with each of the pre-flight checks that they needed to do, taking the time to make sure that App was absorbing as much as possible as they went. She didn't expect him to have every check down after seeing it only once, but she also wanted to give him plenty of information to soak up as well.

The package showed up while they were doing their checks, but it wasn't too long before they were finished, and had it loaded, and secured in the cargo area. With everything done, and the ship checked and ready to go, Sakura closed up the doors and turned to App with a wide smile. "Ready to get off this rock?" she asked playfully

osprey77
Marquis
Marquis

Post by osprey77 »

((ooc: this’ll be my last post for a while. I’ll be unable to get to the site until late Sunday, so I probably won’t post until Monday.))

It took no time at all to get back to the now-familiar section of the space port, and App followed Sakura inside eagerly.

The young hybrid watched as the WRASS powered up and began to motor around the ship, smiling a little. In their own, funny way, the maintenance bots were kind of…cute. And handy. It would take care of the menial tasks, while he could get on with learning about the ship that would be ‘home away from planet.’

Sakura was a good teacher, and while App wasn’t a genius or necessarily the fastest study, he applied himself and found the subject fascinating anyway. He knew he wouldn’t be able to understand or remember it all form the first time, so made a mental note to see if he could find the books Sakura mentioned earlier.

Next came loading the package, which didn’t take nearly as long as the check had. After that, there was only one thing that could come next…

"Ready to get off this rock?"

“Do you have to ask, mate? I’ve been ready for ten years!” So saying, App took his place, looking to Sakura to take the lead, trying not to physically vibrate form his pent-up excitement.
C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Sakura couldn't help but laugh at App's response to her question, as well as his barely contained excitement.

"all right then, here we go." she said as she began manipulating the ship's controls. She moved with an air of practiced efficiency as she raised the output of the engines, and vented the thrust downward, lifting the ship off of it's landing struts. While this was going on she was calling up to docking and flight control to clear their departure, and get their departure path. Once their clearance was confirmed, she adjusted the thrust, and backed the ship out of the bay, watching her sensor display closely to make sure she was clear of any obstacles. Once they were out of the docks it was a quick trip to their takeoff point.

"Fasten your seat belt, and hold on tight." she said as they quickly approached the launch ramp. "cause we are outta here!" and with that final statement, she threw engine output to near full, and adjusted the thrust, and the ship shot forward down the ramp, and into the atmosphere literally like a rocket. The ship rumbled and shook as they passed through the atmosphere, but it was only a couple of minutes before the sky in front of them began to darken, and the ride smoothed out as they broke through into space.

"well, you've made it" Sakura commented with a grin as she maneuvered the ship onto course. "take a look, there it goes" she said as the ship angled enough for them to see the planet they had just left in the windows of the cockpit.

"now, keep an eye on those screes for a few minutes, and let me know if any alerts pop up, I'm going to get us on course, and then we'll have some time to kill"

osprey77
Marquis
Marquis

Post by osprey77 »

"All right then, here we go!"

A thrill went through App as the take-off procedures began. He watched Sakura as she deftly moved from one task to another, and the ship responded immediately. App’s grin grew broader and broader as the ramp drew closer.

"Fasten your seat belt, and hold on tight; ‘cause we are outta here!"

With that, forward motion suddenly became upward propulsion. The young hybrid swore he could feel his teeth vibrate in the first turbulent minutes, then gradually, the light gave way to an impossibly larger, almost black view dotted with innumerable stars. App gasped at the vista, eyes wide as if seeking not miss a single detail.

"Take a look; there it goes."

App stared out the cockpit window at the planet that ad bee, until that moment, all he knew. His throat suddenly felt tight as he thought of his friends, the few furs like Izzy who had honestly wanted to help him; his family, even his sometimes curmudgeonly father; and…Nezzie. He nodded at the blue planet as it receded form view, remembering his promise to the silver cat. *Not forever…I [/u]will[/u] come back someday.*

"Now, keep an eye on those screes for a few minutes, and let me know if any alerts pop up, I'm going to get us on course, and then we'll have some time to kill."

“Sure thing, Sakura.” With that, he turned to his station as their ship flew on against a backdrop of stars…

((ooc: I think it’s time we switched over to the other story, what do you say?))
C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

All my Characters: