A backdrop of Stars (closed. racken, asry, oz and me only)

This is where all of the Age of Space role-plays are archived.
osprey77
Marquis
Marquis
Species: Black Cat/Raven

Re: A backdrop of Stars (closed. racken, asry, oz and me onl

Post by osprey77 »

*The foundations of existence…* App tried to see things from the other scientists’ perspective, but it was difficult, to say the least. App was just at that point of life where he’d come to realize there was a lot out there he didn’t know about, and he hadn’t quite outgrown fairytales and fantasy. That wasn’t to say he’d ever believed them (he simply hadn’t given them much thought) but he hadn’t out and rejected them either. To him, it didn’t ‘rock the world’ so much to think that there might be more out there than was previously thought. And anyway—wasn’t that what science was always supposed to be looking for? The things everybody wasn’t sure existed or not? More discoveries, etc.?

Before the young hybrid could say any of this, the self-proclaimed ‘prophet’ wandered off at last.

"Touched with madness. But then, he is on Von Drake station."

“I don’t know, Kuril…” Before app could say anything more, Sakura re-emerged and began leading them towards the med-bay.

“Alright! You mean, they’ll take me on?” He began to get eager again, his crocodile-smile showing—not a sight for the faint of heart.

"I guess the botanist decided to take off?"

“Huh? Oh, yeah. Guess he’d said his piece. Maybe he just needed someone to listen to him, for once.”
"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C. S. Lewis

"With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere."
C. S. Lewis

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"
C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:
http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5253

Sponsor

Catalina Tamiko
King
King
Species: Feline-Tiger/Panther

Post by Catalina Tamiko »

Catalina twitiched at the name. but Derigo slammed the breaks. He threw the ship in full reverse trying to get away before his controls just pulled out of his hands. Panicking he screamed, "NO!!! FOR THE LOVE OF SHIBA NO!! CAT NO!!!!" she silenced him with a raised paw, though not an aggressive one. flipping her own monitor up, she sighed as she turned on the video feed.

Staring at the face before her, she closed her eyes, before opening them. A gentler glow there, half hurt, half happy. "My my my, all grown up I see. You were not but a baby the last I laid eyes upon you darling. Your father's death was not at my paws. Though I doubt he would have liked that much. He was close enough I considered him a dear friend. Even after Ishimi died, I still kept tabs on him. Tell me, were you just assigned to me because you were in the area? Or is there some taunting manner to our meeting? Has the high and mighty command sent you to finish off the last of their loose ends?" She paused, considering her next choice of words before speaking. "You know, that business with Agreal could have gone much better if your father had had half his senses about him. My siblings and My brother Amadeas I understood. We were warriors. Agreal was just a fox. He was depressed, his mate was dead. He was immortal with no reason to live. Can you even imagine what that is like? No? Didn't think so. Beings such as we can often run out of things to live for. And that is truly a hell no mortal can ever understand."

Her voice was level, but the ship was still under her absolute control, turning back and bringing with it a full array of weapons. Most wouldn't dint the ship she was facing. Derigo's pleading voice in the background could still be heard, though faintly now as he begged her to turn away. Then from the top of the Outlaw Star, a twin set of barrels slid up and into view. Locking on the nose of the mammoth war ship. Though they gave no energy signature yet. "Speak your peace, tell me what you came to tell me. Though I assume it is a plea to surrender peacefully. One day, we will settle the affair left by your father. Agreal will be avenged, if not on Klaus, then on his son. Though I hold nothing against Mia. Rest her soul. Your mother understood what war really was. And why it should be stopped." The barrels began to hum softly, as they began charging power. The mag shields distorted around the Outlaw Star now, as the full intent of the barrels became clear. Space based rail guns, the kind that don't need a gravitational pull, they generate their own. The physics behind them were mind boggling at the time. Now, not so much. But the purpose was still relevant. They could and would do serious damage. And Catalina had aimed them at the tip of the dreadnought. Lives lost and damage done would be minimal. But maximum penetration was promised.

Derigo was shrieking now, pleading with Shiba, God, St. Tellisa, and every other deity he could think of for help to stop her. He was sure he was going to die. A prospect that terrorized him to no end. The great unknown. And faced with it, was sending him into insanity. Catalina's eyes left the monitor to gaze at the equine. His pleas for life were having an affect on her. Then she turned back. "I want you to know.... I do have a reason for my actions. There are things in this world you know nothing about. Things that can destroy your world in micro seconds and they are free right now. My job is to stop them. Consider this your only warning.... I have never failed a mission. You have me outgunned, outmatched, and out numbered. But then..so was your father when he fought Andarian...and he still won that fight."
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

My Cast of critters. (INCOMPLETE) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6514

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx

Post by Rackenhammer »

"I've been sector head since before you went to Von Drake Station, fortunately for you, since I'm probably the only high-ranking official who understands what you're talking about, and why you say it." Gil sighed, pinching his temples between his thumb and middle finger. "The message I've come to give you is this, and I quote," He cleared his throat as he read out Baxter's message. "Kindly endeavor not to be a fool, I've found your jewelry in the package you said contained but alcohol. Stand down, come back, and try telling me the whole truth this time, if you know it."

He made a show of putting down the plastic flimsy wherein the message was written. "I have several points of my own to add. I'm not as green as I am cabbage-looking, and I really don't appreciate the condescending tone you take with me in talking of... things beyond normal experience. Second, I am letting you both go, since you haven't caused trouble here, but when my superiors have to read the after action reports of this whole mess, they will start to ask questions, which I will be obliged to answer. So, Captain Derigo, if you were thinking about moving, or changing your line of business, consider stepping up your timetable; save unpleasantness all around. Finally," he leaned forward in the view screen, eyes meeting Catalina's, "Put your guns away; I can quite understand any residual hostility, but my crew has nothing to do with it. If you hurt one of them... I will finish what my father started, and the gates of Inferno shall not stop me. All clear?"

~***~

Kuril shrugged. "Isolation is a terrible thing; I couldn't be an independent ship-owner. Too much time alone, I'd be gibbering by journey's end, eh?" He followed Sakura to the med bay, currently dealing with the influx of patients from Catalina's little rampage. Not that there were many living patients left from that, but it was the closest thing they had to a morgue. The rest were minor injuries from the chaos that followed the lights going out.

The surgery was makeshift as any old hospital on Feila. The head doctor himself was working on a patient, and didn't even look up as the party entered, only holding out his hand, saying "Number 3a scalpel."
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Sakura chuckled at Kuril's comment. "Isolation isn't too bad, but I do admit that having a good companion makes a trip worlds better." She replied with a wink at App. once the small group made it to the med bay, Sakura quickly made sure to get out of the way, a med bay was way outside her area of expertise and she didn't want to ruin anything for App by getting in the way or distracting the medical personel. She gave App a pat on the back. "see if you can get in and help without getting in the way. Make a good impression, and they'll be asking you to work with them." She said with a large grin. She turned her attention to Kuril. "so what all did the crazy botanist have to say?" she asked quietly to pass the time

osprey77
Marquis
Marquis

Post by osprey77 »

App caught Sakura’s wink, and his smile widened. “You know it, mate!”

Then they reached the Med bay and its current set of patients…if the many bodies could be called that. App was a little taken aback at first, but his main instinct was to help those he could, and he wasn’t so much squeamish as he was sad that it was too late for some.

"See if you can get in and help without getting in the way. Make a good impression, and they'll be asking you to work with them."

*Right.* With a nervous swallow, the boy stepped into the makeshift surgery.

"Number 3a scalpel."

App looked over at the table of implements, and his smile returned in part—he actually recognized them, thanks to Sakura’s ship-board manuals. He retrieved the scalpel in question, passing it to the oblivious doctor, feeling his confidence return. He’d just wait for more orders, do what he could. Ti was almost…a game. Yes, if he thought of it somewhere along the lines of a game testing his knowledge of the implements and minor position, he could control his nerves, stay on top of things. Afterwards? Who could say? He was taking this one step at a time.
C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"
C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Catalina reached off screen and her paw gently tapped Gil's shoulder before she brought it in to view. "You and I will have a chat when this business is said and done." She flipped a few switches, and powered down the weapons module. "Seeing as you think you are capable of killing me, I would gladly let you if you have the strength to do it. Your father would be proud of you either way." She let Derigo take the controls again, as he angled the ship back toward Von Drake. Before cutting the line, Catalina made a final jab at the male, "Oh and, as for your crew.... You were taught about Damno collateralis in academy weren't you?" she killed the line and made a hand motion to Derigo. The equine nodded and kicked the ship into full speed.

It shot away from the massive war ship with the speed of a comet headed for a planet, leaving just an ion trail. As they went, she flipped channels and opened a line to Von Drake. "This is Commando Catalina Tamiko. We are returning. If there is the slightest hint of aggressive action I will terminate the station and all on board. Non-negotiable. Second matter, I expect my gun, knife, and personal effects released to me upon arrival. Non-negotiable. Respect those terms and I will deem it fit to work with you. There are things that you do not understand little kitty. I will meet you in the bar when I arrive. Catalina, out." she leaned back, waiting for the usual garbage about not negotiating with terrorists.

As she waited, she glanced at the equine. He had fairly well lost weight with sweating bullets. What would be his fate? Were they to betray him in the end? Would he be safer on Atlantis? Could she entrust his protection to the Supreme Comm? The last thought was more a joke to her. She was in the habit of distrusting commanding persons, as they often only sought to keep their own careers alive. She had the power to kill them all, certainly. But she as more concerned with dealing with the amulets. They were he top priority.

It wasn't long before the ship came back into view. Only a few hours, in fact. Catalina stood and cracked her neck. "Don't dock. We are close enough that I can warp myself into the station. maneuver behind the station. Keep a gun locked on the vents. If they try anything stupid, fire on it. I'll come to you babe." He nodded as she walked to the back and vanished in a swirl of fire.

A swirl of blue flame signaled her arrival within the bar. Behind the counter, where she stood facing the stock. Taking a moment she reached for a bottle of aged brandy, pouring two glasses and turning to the bar. Setting them out she smiled. The game was well known to her. Interrogation, but this time a two way. She would have her answers, either by her succubus charms or by sheer brute force. She could eliminate the guards if they acted against her. No doubt, though, they would want to avoid her now. Her earlier temper tantrum had probably put everyone here on alert. Then she had a thought Closing her eyes, she spoke in someone's mind "Barth.... barth sweety, its me. Don't be frightened. Come to the bar love. I have your favorite drink here for you."
With power comes responsibility. With responsibility comes duty. With duty comes honor. With honor comes shame......

There is no purpose in denying that you know nothing in the grand scheme of things. In an effort to prove otherwise, you would simply go mad.

To gaze at the Elder Scroll is to look into both the past, and the future, all possibilities of each, all at the same time, and believe that each, even the false ones, are all true, all at the same time.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Her first jab had hurt, no question about it. Perhaps she didn't know how mean it was, to bind together war guilt, family pride, ambivalence, ambition, and abilities into one bitter pill for him. It rather made Catalina's parting shot fall flat. As she had cut the line, Gil'd lieutenant, who had been to the academy and knew at least some Latin, looked at his commander, puzzled. "I... don't remember that from the curriculum. We're supposed to minimize collateral damage."

Gil sighed and turned away from the console. "She... is from the old school."
"The ought-to-have-died-from-old-age school, I should think." His subordinate quipped.
Gil snorted. It was almost funny, if you knew the whole story, which the lieutenant didn't. "Right. Well, we've got some more pirates to deal with. Set course for Beta Quadrant."

~***~

Kuril shrugged as Apollo was drawn in to helping the surgeon. "Oh, just some mystic gibberish. Believes in ghosts, and the like. Seems his colleagues thought he'd be a better fit here." He tapped his foot a bit, then asked. "Was he right when he said that belief in the supernatural was rather discouraged in Dmitri?"

The Doctor, meanwhile, had called for more tools, and had them ready to paw, thanks to App. When he'd finished the stitches, he went to wash his hands and, looking up, saw the hybrid for the first time. "And you are?" He asked.

Kuril stepped forward. "These passengers have been stranded by the Audit, and the officers figured the lad would do worse than serve an apprenticeship here."

The doctor looked him up and down, then offered his hand. "Dr. Mossy Lawn." He gave Sakura and Kuril a look. "If you aren't here to help, please go away. We're going to be busy for a while, and I'd appreciate not having my elbows jostled."

***~***

Baxter heard Catalina's little "communique" and sighed. "I had been about to say the same. I'm generally not thought good at working with other furs, but I do try. You, however, are quite unsurpassed in terms of sheer exasperation that you have wrought. Honestly, if you do not bother to explain yourself or your actions, you can hardly blame us for not understanding. I should have thought that a sufficiently elementary fact for you to grasp. I hope that by the time we meet, you will have applied yourself to learning it."

The cat terminated the line, but continued working with his papers for another quarter-hour. He had no worries as to his own career. He was far too high up himself for anyone within a light-hour to even dare challenge him. Even Supremecomm would wait until his final report to take any action against him.

***~***

Barth had slunk from the Hydroponics department upon hearing the call, and arrived at the bar. He'd served as a sort of glorified janitor before being elevated to his present position, and he knew how to get from place to place without being harassed by guards. It was a running joke among them that he may have been a ghost himself.

He walked right up to the bar, looked Catalina in the eye, then smacked her right on the forehead. "Bad Kitty! Why you so stupid?" With a huff, he took a barseat, and snatched the drink. "You have any idea the trouble you cause? Have you no sense, girl?"

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Sakura looked at App and the doctor, then at Kuril and shrugged. "I'll meet you later App. I'll see about getting our lodging situated." She grinned "you'll do great." She turned to Kuril "care to keep a girl company?" she asked him as she started out of the med bay with no real immediate destination in mind. She figured she would find her way to the administration and personnel areas. She walked with her hands behind her back, observing and adding to her mental map as she went. Eventually she broke the silence "Do you think Baxter would tell me what was really in that box we delivered?" She asked. She couldn't help but think that her delivery of that package had something to do with all of the recent events aboard the station. She walked as she talked occasionally poking her head through a doorway to see what was on the other side.

osprey77
Marquis
Marquis

Post by osprey77 »

Apollo shook the proffered hand, glad that the doctor had actually washed it before he noticed hi visitor. “Apollo Mayfield, but I go by App.”

Judging by the doctor’s curt dismissal of Sakura and Kuril, App gathered that he had been accepted, albeit informally. Well, it was good enough for him.

"I'll meet you later App. I'll see about getting our lodging situated."

“Alright! I’ll meet you later, Sakura!” Another in his position might have felt nervous about letting the only two familiar faces on the station out of sight, but as a runaway, App had gotten used to being on his own in more-or-less unfamiliar situations.

“What do you need me to do, Dr. Lawn?”
C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Catalina purred when he hit her. To her it had been like a child. "Old and set in my ways love. Old and set in my ways. Too much death for one fur to see has numbed me to it. Now to the matter at paw," she refilled his glass. "I'm going to need the materials to make more shells for my Caster gun. Numbers 10, 12, 17, and a couple number 20's. And yes I know the 20 shells are volatile. You don't need to scold me dear. Get me what I need and I can get you some nice things. Like a whole bottle of that and a little chat with our old friend Shiba. Maybe a little time with a pretty girl too."

She sighed as she looked at her watch. Baxter would be arriving in a moment. She moved to the cooler, pulling out some water for him. Then she lit herself a smoke and sat on her chair behind the counter. Looking over her amulet, she sighed. "He will never understand unless I show him the hard way," she whispered softly. Taking a drink from her own glass, she fingered the ornate jewelry. She was wondering if she should take the blasted thing off and REALLY show him what she looked like. Possibly, but there were other ways. The medical lab had some scanners on hand. She could let him have a look see inside her. See that difference in body and size, density of bone and even the extra organs. Even better just give him a sample of her crystalline armor. Let him TRY to place that in the table of elements.

As she was rolling how to explain it through her head, Derigo was in his ship. It was in place behind the station, well out of the way of most of their defensive measures. He sat there, thinking hard on just what he was to do. Catalina was mad. Worse yet she was angry. That coupled with the fact she was powerful, and often given to using her succubus powers to manipulate the weak minded. Even the strong minded fall within a few days after exposure. Tapping his horn he wondered if prison might just be that much better. food, a roof, showers, and a roommate. Though the thought of living in a prison cell until he died was not appealing either. The colt looked to the monitor. The station was making no aggressive action, so Cat must be playing nice.

He sighed as he went to the console, bringing up some information. Looking it over, he began to ponder if he should help the feline. Cat was pretty well mad. Derigo had come to that conclusion on his own. She was powerful, pissed off easily, and prone to violent reactions. He did care for her. And he owed her his life. But there came a point when you have to grow a pair and do something o save yourself form a sinking ship. And half the things she spoke about he had no idea what they were.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Barth would have normally settled down into a good-natured grumble, but the arrival of the Auditor had perturbed him a bit too much. "Do you hate me, kitty? I don't want attention when that- well, you know, is here. Very... awkward questions will be asked. It will be the Physics Board all over again." He groaned, rubbing his face with his paws, before sighing and downing his drink.

"Mph, the vines are old. I can actually get you a stable 20, but only one. You shook up the station too much for me to risk cooking up more. 10 and 12 I can do... 17 might prove a problem though; Mossy used all my raw materials for the measles case that got brought in a couple months back. I take it you won't wait a week for that."
He slid off the barstool calling back, "You know where to find me, I'll have them ready." He vanished into some side corridor, only a minute before Baxter entered, the white cat being the very picture of the unruffled accountant.

He didn't mince words in opening. "I need to know first whether you were lying to me, or whether you were lied to. The Dmitrians let me open the package they had for you, and what we found wasn't alcohol. I think you can guess what it was."

***~***

The station doctor sighed, and rubbed his eyes. "Right now, I want an extra pair of paws. Just hand me the tools I ask for; I won't put any patients under you yet." What followed was more or less a practical exam of medical implements. It might have been especially designed for App. None of the patients were in any life-threatening condition, and Mossy could afford to correct any errors his student made. Not that App made many, his studies had paid off.

When the last suture was completed, the surgeon took off his gloves and mask with some relief, revealing himself to be of Kahunian extraction, a green-scaled lizard whose dimpled skin earned him the nickname "Mossy." He sized up Apollo, before nodding. "Not bad for somefur without formal schooling. I should have my old texts on file if you need to brush up; otherwise your training will be practical. Mostly shadowing, I'm not allowed by regulation or conscience to actually put any patient under you. Not sure where you'll bunk, but not with me."

***~***

Kuril was only too happy to keep a girl company. He didn't know the station any better than Sakura, so he was content to follow for now, as a sort of 'handler.' He mused as a question was put to him about his boss. "I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask, but I don't know if he'd tell. Must be something big, though; he sent Kruger to check on it, and I haven't gotten anything from him directly, so Baxter must have thought it important enough to keep under wraps for now."

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

"I don't know if it's so much believing in the super natural that's discouraged..." Sakura mused as they walked, addressing Kuril's earlier question. "or more just believing that the inexplicable can't be explained by science somehow...if that makes any sense..." She looked back at Kuril after poking her head through another doorway, and not finding the personnel section. her scales darkened a bit at the poor explanation, "sorry, I really wasn't let out much growing up..." she commented as if it were the reason. Now that she was alone with Kuril, in a less businesslike setting, she seemed a little tentative in her interactions, like she was testing new ground a bit.

Eventually Sakura got the pair to the personnel section. "I'm here to see about lodging for myself and my partner, we're stuck here during the audit." she announced as she stepped in.

osprey77
Marquis
Marquis

Post by osprey77 »

App kept up his little ‘It’s all a game/test’ mind trick all the way through his time helping Dr. Lawn, and felt he’d avoided making a fool of himself too much. In fact, a small part of him wondered if the doctor had been trying to make it a test, but he decided not to pursue the matter, simply to accept the fact that he hadn’t made too many mistakes, and no major ones.

"Not bad for somefur without formal schooling. I should have my old texts on file if you need to brush up; otherwise your training will be practical. Mostly shadowing, I'm not allowed by regulation or conscience to actually put any patient under you. Not sure where you'll bunk, but not with me."

App stood a little straighter at the doctor’s compliment, a teenager’s pride in a job well done. At the offer of the doctor’s text, the young man brightened up. “I’d like that very much, thank you! And practical training sounds fine—I tend to learn best hands-on anyway.” It made sense that they wouldn’t entrust patients to him for a while; after all, even if you overlooked the lack of training, the fact remained that he was still technically a minor.

“So, um, now what?”
C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:

Catalina Tamiko
King
King

Catalina was quiet, swirling her drink around a bit before taking a sip. Setting the water bottle she had picked up in front of the feline, she spoke. "There are three things you should know about me. I don't lie to people to cover something like that. I terrify them beyond all compare so they stay away from it. If I had known they were in the package, I would have killed you and everyone between me and them. I think you know that for certain. Second, I am a half-succubus. I will live as long as I have an ample supply of souls in my own amulet to feed from. And during that war I harvested entire cities of souls. I am good for a long time to come. I lost count a long time ago, but I'm close to three thousand years old, give or take a couple centuries. Third, If you ever take that tone with me again you will be doing your job from a cryo-stasis unit on a backwater station because I will forcibly rip every limb off your body, all five of them. I have one arm and no tail. Do not think for a half a second you can intimidate me in the least. If I wanted to I could have taken over all Feila. I spent my whole life saving it, and now I'm the outcast. I have no love for you or your superiors. You saw my files. You saw what I did for them. What I lost. Who I lost. So don't think your little position grants you any power over me you sorry sack of meat. You address me with a please or ma'am. You do that, we will get along just fine. You can do your job and live to see another day. I can go about the rest of my eternity and never see your kind again. My kind take pleasure in many things. And we all have a dark side, so unless you want to unleash a creature with the ability to teleport where she pleases and kill with a touch, you keep a civil tone in your mouth and your thoughts in your head."

She downed the rest of her glass, refilled it and then slumped in her seat. There had been no anger in her speech. No malice. It was as monotone as a professor reciting speech notes for the ten billionth time in his life. In fact she now seemed to look and feel worse after that little speech. Her head wings twitching softly as she stared into the glass. "How much death can a person see before they finally just don't value life anymore?" she whispered softly. She held up a paw, forming a crystal of her armor in it, and setting it on the counter. "Here. Analyze it all you want. You wont find that in your own table of elements."

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Kuril shrugged and laughed again. A cynical observer might wonder if he knew any other gestures. "Oh, I can't say it makes any sense or difference to me. If a thing's weird, it's just plain weird, whether you tell it in stories or equations." The dog, for his part, didn't seem any less comfortable in a casual than a business setting, but then, as a diplomat in employ of Baxter, it was pretty much his job to be personable.

The station's personnel officer had no such friendly compunctions. He was a dried-up sourpuss of a weasel, clearly resentful of the career dead-end he was stuck in, and the recent excitement had not lifted his spirits in the least. He gave Sakura a cold expression, much more like the average Feilan would give a Dmitrian. "If it were up to me, you'd sleep in your ship, outside the docks. However," he sighed, "The Auditor has specifically requested that you be given a spare dorm, next to our bartender's actually." He may have been sour, but he wasn't completely stupid, and he gave a sharp look at Sakura, clearly waiting for her to give something away.

~***~

Mossy Lawn raised his eyebrows at his young charge's enthusiasm. He couldn't help but smile at it; such enthusiasm was not often seen on this station. "Well, we're out of patients now, so I guess the next step is to show you where everything is. I try to keep my equipment as logically arranged as possible; you've been able to find most of the things I wanted in good time, so that validates my method."

It didn't take more that an quarter hour, all told, to give a complete rundown on equipment. Most of the high-tech stuff was multi-purpose, and pretty durable. "Not as advanced as a Feilan surface hospital; the tech takes a while to get here, but the bugs are all worked out by then." Dr. Lawn was not as personable as, say, Kuril, but he was equitable, and not difficult to get along with. "I suppose you'll be reading when we don't have patients; we don't usually have a lot." He sighed. "Things have been... pretty crazy, lately."

~***~

Baxter's face, if anything, was even more impassive than Catalina's as she made her spiel. The feline didn't indicate it, but it was a little unsettling for him to be talking to her like this. Not that he intentionally cultivated any aura of menace, of course, but the fact remained that for the past 15 years or so, he had always been the scariest fur in the room. That puts some habits of thought into a fur's head that are not easy to set out.

"Very well, ma'am, if pleasantries will secure your cooperation, you shall have them." He rustled his papers, bring the relevant ones to the fore. Not realizing the tigress' question was rhetorical, he answered it. "Really, it depends. I've known some for whom 5 years was enough. That you had to lose so much, for so long, to become like this says something good, I suppose." He wasn't used to giving compliments, naturally.

He looked up at the crystal, mildly interested. Being an accountant rather than an engineer or chemist, he really had no idea just how remarkable it might be. "Really? So is it not actually made of atoms?" He narrowed his eyes, "Are the pendants made of this substance? Not to pile my questions so fast, ma'am, but I suspect they are something more than mere power sources; could you please tell me what exactly they are, and what they can do that nothing else can?"