Due to the dead- (Arctic, Open)

This is where all of the Twilight Zone role-plays are archived.
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx

Re: Due to the dead- (Arctic, Open)

Post by Rackenhammer »

"Thank you." Mia sank into one of the chairs, closing her eyes as she let go of the tension she'd held for the past few weeks. She had a soft spot for libraries, though she didn't spend too much time in them.
"Yes, I was the commander there, unless he was referring to Montcalm. He's the mayor now, you know?" She smiled a bit, bringing to recollection the near-constant indignation of the vulpine/feline crossbreed who'd become the militia commander. "I always got the feeling that he would fight all Feila for the sake of a mathematical theorem. That kind of attitude's useful in getting rid of entrenched corruption. Tends to lead to the guillotine when left to itself, though." Mia shook her head, dispelling memories. "Eh, I just helped to clear the streets. Couldn't stay for the reconstruction." Despite her humility, she was pleased to hear that she'd earned respect from an anti-authoritarian. *I wonder, did he ever get cashiered from the military like me, and have to re-enlist as his own son?*

The commander had kept her curiosity in check, in order to give some logical sequence to her queries. By this time, the tea was ready. She accepted it, supplementing it's strength with some Gawainian scotch from a small pocket flask. "I don't drink when on duty, but I often require one when off, especially after a job like this." She drained about half the cup, disregarding the temperature.
Mia began her questioning somewhat circumspectly. "It's true that I have a lot of questions, but I'd like to explain a little first, so you see where I'm coming from. You know how a lot of people don't believe in the supernatural, paranormal, spiritual, or just plain weird, even though they've heard of or even experienced things they couldn't explain? I'm a bit of the opposite. I've always entertained such beliefs, even though I could explain everything without resorting to such postulates." She took a sip of her remaining tea.
"Such beliefs weren't encouraged by the ruling authorities, where I grew up. Materialistic inevitability, that was their underlying belief. All of history was mere economic trends, culminating in one unavoidable triumph, themselves." She gave an ironic smile. "A cocksure bunch, those SPG folks. Of course, it was hard to argue with them, considering they were pretty much small gods, having in their possession all the wealth and power the East Gawainian state had to offer. When they said that the rest of the world would fall before the Bayreuth wall, they meant it.
"They made no secret of their contempt for anyone who thought otherwise. You really have no idea how much resistance was stifled in the East. For us, 1984 was Orwell's 1984. I don't want to go into detail; suffice it to say that one in every six persons you met reported everything he saw to the SPG, and their enforcement arm, the Stasi. About the only people who kept up a faint gleam of resistance were those who, as far as anyone could tell, were crazy. Some were religious, others were quite genuinely insane, but they all believed that the SPG were wrong. Still they remained on the fringe until..."
Mia drained her tea. "I'm sorry to be going on so long, but this is important. I don't know what exactly happened next. I could give a half-dozen explanations, but they all boil down to this: The Gawainian people, who had never in their entire history had anything amounting to a revolution, started one in summer of 1989. They had no reason to, other than a blind faith in God or justice, but every Monday more and more people gathered onto the streets. And that is when things started to really shake up. In six months, the world turned upside-down. What was once a SPG-affiliated sinecure for furs who didn't mind a little mystic ritual became a hotbed of revolutionary discussion, and it seemed that the SPG could do nothing about it. However, the SPG weren't the rulers for nothing, and they embarked on a campaign along the lines of 'If you can't beat them, join them.' They managed to co-op most of the intellectual leaders of the movement into building 'A brighter, freer East Gawain.' Probably would have managed it, too, except that the world, instead of turning upside-down, blew up."
"The wall fell. No one planned for that. No one asked for that. Fact remains, on November 8th, the wall sealed East from West, and the next day it didn't. It started with an announcement that limited visas might be distributed. The SPG PR guy was not prepared for the interview, and misspoke to the effect that visas were available for anyone with the proper papers. By the time it hit the streets, everyone was packed against the checkpoints, demanding exit. The gates opened, and that was that. The SPG fell out of power in the January elections, and Gawain was one country by July."

Mia finished her tea. "That all happened before I was twelve. Do you see why I had no trouble believing my eyes, when one Kiba Kurokage demonstrated abilities beyond normal ken? I require no explanation of 'abnormals,' as you call them. I accept them as facts. I can accept you and you son's longevity."
She looked up at the clock and was mildly startled by how much time she'd spent talking. "I guess what I'm trying to say is, I want your story. When did you grow up, and where? How did you encounter these abnormals, and begin providing them sanctuary? When did you adopt Tim? Why is this a secret organization? How did the war with the Kabal start, and how did it grow to such proportions? And what, pray, is the deal with these statues?" Mia's voice had risen in volume with these questions, almost approaching a shout. After taking a calming breath, she said. "You have my story, such as it is. Let's have yours."

(Whoa, this ended up much longer than I expected.)
Last edited by Rackenhammer on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Sponsor

materwolf
Omnipresence
Omnipresence
Species: Collie

Post by materwolf »

Magnus listened politly as she sipped at her tea. She hadn't known some of the story behind the West part of the wall, noone really had exept for those furs trapped behind it. After Mia had finished her story magnus politly cleared her throat "My story starts in 1708 in Nottingham. I was part of a scientific comunity that had begun experamenting on ourselves. We had found a sample of fluid someone said was 'untainted vampire blood.' The five of us each took an injection of the blood. After we recorded our changes-each of us had a seperate effect of the injection-we had gone our seperate ways. My effect was my long life span, another had developed an increased mental capacity. he later on became the influence for the Sherlock Holms novels. Anyway, after I started researching 'ghost stories' and things, I found there were valid causes fr some of those reports, but most were deemed 'unexplained.' I eventualy found teh abmormal responcible and offered them a place to stay, free from persecution. All I asked for in return was information about them. That soon lead to another, and another abnormal. This house belonged to my father-a scientist as well-and I built the lab according to the one he designed but never built."
Magnus sipped from her tea and looked at Tim. he nodded that he trusted Mia with the story and Magnus continued,
"Sometime in the early 1830's I went on an expidition to the Arctic. I came upon a villiage that had been attacked, most likely by group of bandits. Everyone in the villiage was either severly hurt or dying. I found Tim's birth mother craddling him and looking at me with a worried expresion. He had been shot through the chest with one of teh -at-the-time-new rifled muskets and apperantly didnt have the dominant gene that Tim has. The wolfess grabbed my paw and made me promise to take care of her pup as my own. I did, and thats when Tim became my son. I only found out years later that Tim's DNA structure was similar to mine, but slightly more resiliant. It was durring the Edwinish Rebellion of 1861 that Tim was shot by a stray bullet. He was deemed dead and set aside quickly for there was a battle about to start, but after a short nap, he woke up and made his way home for an explination. I was confused at first, but somewhere along Tim's family ties there must have been someone with blood similar t the Vampire blood I injected myself with years earlier. Oh forgive me, I've forgotten to answer a few of your questions. I grew up in Nottingham with my father, Mother had died of pneumonia when I was three. Tim grew up here with me. Well, he accompanied me to all the different expaditions I went on and learned as much as I could teach him about science." She paused to finish her tea an continued, "The Sanctuary network is a secret organisation for a few reasons, firstly to provide more protection to its visitors and occupants than it would be able to provide otherwise. Secondly, if most regular furs found out the fact of abnormals, there would almost certainly be riots outside every Sanctuary facility in Edwin if not the world. We don't work seperate from the gonvernment however. I actually advised Feild Marshall Montgumry on the utilisation of some of the abnormals within his ranks.The Sanctuary is seperate from the government however, so they do not control our organisation. If they did we would be far too much like the Kabal. We first encountered teh kabal durring an expadition in the south parts of Edwin. We had discovered a tomb with three female furs inside. After a short gunbattle with the caretaker creatures to get inside, we found teh furs had been in the tomb since the early 12th century, and they hadn't aged a day. It was some form of yelowish liquid that bathed them what prevented their aging. After learning their story here at the 'Head Facility' as some call it, thats when the Kabal arrived. in search of their 'prizes'. The facility here wasn't prepared for such an assault as the Kabal gave, what with helecoptors and such, anyways they took the girls and Tim and I found out where they hid from us. Another few gunbattles to get inside and rescue the girls and to escape. We relocated them to the Arctic Sanctuary facility and started gearing up to defend ourselves from the Kabal. We've had to race them to each new discovery ever since."

Magnus refilled her teacup and looked at Tim. The wolf had long since fallen asleep on the couch. It was a story he had heard and told hundreds of times over the years. Tim's feet were up on the far armrest, his head on the near one as his old hat drapped over his face as he lightly snored.

"The statues are dreadfully important." Magnus said. "We need to find them all and get to the destination they lead to before the Kabal." She sighed "The 'Light of God' is what the statues lead to. I'm assuming it is some sort of energy weapon/genorator." She grabs a very old looking bible and opens to a bookmarked page. Drawn in the page was the image of four furs one on each corner holding up the Arc of the Covenent. Out of the arc shot a lighning bolt out over the cliff and caused havok with an army below. "If the Kabal get this, it could be disasterous." The vixen said as she showed the page to Mia.

(Wow. Really sorry for the length.)
"Fate protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise."
-Commander William Riker, USS Enterprise, NCC-1701D-

My characters
[url]http://www.twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?t=4044[/url]

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

('s alright. Sorry I took so long in response.)

Mia gave as polite a listening to Magnus' story as she had done for hers, even though she had to suppress a few reactions. *Seriously, you injected yourself with an unknown and possibly lethal serum for "science." I know I did stupid stuff when I was 17, but I don't think I would ave gone quite that far. That other guy must have been long-lived himself, if a late 19th century author could base stories on an early 18th century crime solver.*
She did inject a quick response after hearing Tim's story. "Huh, so he's of Arctic extraction? I would have guessed Domusian."
She frowned, but did not interrupt, when Magnus gave the reason for keeping secret. Mia had a few beliefs which were passionately held if not expressed as such, and one was a real belief in democracy. To hear the great mass of ordinary furs dismissed as incontrovertible bigots in an upper-class Edwinish accent struck a nerve in her. That, plus the fact in sheer terms of practicality, if the Sanctuary were not secret, it could expose the Kabal to the public eye too, which would make it easier to end the conflict once and for all.

All of that, however, went from her mind when Magnus told her about what they were looking for. "Mein Gotz," she half-whispered, leaning over the page, "That's the actual shekina you're talking about. The great Glory of God." The commander took a deep breath, folding her paws under her chin and looking up, as if praying for guidance. Looking down again, she said. "I will certainly help you, but..." Another deep breath. "Has it ever occurred to you that this may not exactly be in the realms of science at all?"

materwolf
Omnipresence
Omnipresence

Post by materwolf »

Magnus nodded "Well that is a possability. Any help you could previde would be indeed apreciated, Commander." She smiled and stood up to stretch "I assume your journey here was somewhat uncomfortable? Tim does have a tendancy to choose old fassion modes of transport for some reason. Your more then welcome to stay the night here. 'Sanctuary for All' isn't just an idle catch phrase." The vixen looks at Tim "Oh, its been so long since he stayed here. he rarely gets the oportunity to sleep under this roof you know." She placed a small throw-blanket over the wolf and tucking him in. A motherly kiss on the nose soon followed as well "Care to get a room for your stay?" she asked Mia.

My characters

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Mia smiled ruefully. "Uncomfortable? You could say that. I suppose Tim's nostalgic for that sort of thing, but that's not all. I just don't the ocean, even on cruise ship." She yawned, stretching one arm while running the other through her cropped auburn hair. "Thank you for the room. Hope you don't mind if I sleep in a little, I have to catch up on lost sleep. Be sure to let me know what the analysis turns up."

Mia had an spartan taste, but appreciated a comfortable bed. Fortunately, that matched the guest room she was shown to exactly. *Perfect.* Fifteen minutes later, she was resting in the dreamless sleep of the just... which was odd, considering that her journey and it's cause were rather potent nightmare fuel, but whatever.
It was 10 AM before Mia was up and about, wandering the halls in search of something to eat, and coffee. Not being familiar with the place, her route was rather circuitous, and fallowed tantalizing but faint smells of cooking...

materwolf
Omnipresence
Omnipresence

Post by materwolf »

In the kitchen was a german Shepherd wearing an apron and a funny cheff's hat. he was cooking blueberry pancakes and a small pot of coffee was being made. An old fassioned kettle was boiling water for tea. The shepherd looked at you and he smiled "Hey there. You must be a new guest here. I'm Henrey." He finished the batch of pancakes he was making and set them on a plate. "Magnus and Tim already ate, but they figured I should probably make fresh pancakes in case you woke up."

My characters

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

The sight and smell of breakfast brought a beatific smile to Mia's face. "Quite so." She said with a nod as she took a seat. Such generic replies were about as much as she could muster before breakfast. She did not eat her pancakes with syrup, though; she took one of the lemons reserved for the tea and squeezed it over them, and added a little salt before digging in voraciously. Not even considering how weird this might seem, she addressed the german shepherd in front of her. "Henry, eh? You just get back from Yamaha, then? Tim told me you were away."

materwolf
Omnipresence
Omnipresence

Post by materwolf »

He smiled and sat down across from Mia as he began to get his own food ready "Yeah, I got back the same night you and Tim did." He replied. He drowned his pancakes in syrup and waited till it soaked into the cakes as he looked at the Commander "So your from Gawain? I've heard its kinda nice out there, at least in the countryside. haven't heard much about the city parts." He was telling the truth. He had only heard teh things from tourist brochures, and was fairly ignorant to most of the political situations there.

My characters

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Mia took a sip of her coffee as she considered her home country. "Hm, yes, the country is beautiful in it's way. It's different, though, from what most think of a beautiful landscape. There is a kind of barbaric darkness at the heart of it; there are still places where you can lose all sight and sound of civilized things. The overall effect is hard to describe to someone who's never seen it. As for the cities..." She trailed off, thinking. "Well, the wild backdrop makes them stand out quite a bit. If our countryside shows both the beauty and terror in nature, our cities do the same for civilization. In Bayreuth, for instance, a medieval cathedral and the headquarters of the third Reich are just a few blocks from each other.
"Things have changed a lot in the past 20 years, you know. The entire East had been treated like a toxic waste dump for decades, but you'd hardly know that now. Actually, most of our cities are remarkably clean, compared with the rest of the world." She drained her coffee, cleaning her lips with a napkin. "Also, we know how to party, especially in West Bayreuth. Once in your life you should attend a Wall Day, Christmas, or New Year's celebration in the city."

Having finished her breakfast, Mia gathered her dishes together. "Where do I put these, and do you know where I can find Magnus?"

materwolf
Omnipresence
Omnipresence

Post by materwolf »

Henrey listened interested and when Mia stood he got to his feet "Oh please allow me. If i remember right, Magnus is in her office with Tim." Henrey took the dishes and headed to teh kitchen.

Tim looked at the artifact he and Mia had retreived as he sat in magnus' office. He was going over in his head everything he'd ever known-or thought he'd known-about the Ark. Admittedly it wasn't much, but as magnus had always told him 'the Devil's in teh details.' As he was staring at the artifact he recalled a few comedy movies that the main charactor was searching for the very thing he was hoping to find.

Dr. helen magnus was sitting behind her computer doin a more in-depth study about the ark and its supposed purpose. many cults and religions through the years had pledged to hide the ark, but there were just as many-if not more-scientists, archeologists, historians, and military-types determined to find it. Now magnus had joined the search, only she had an advantage over the others. She possessed the first authentic peice of the map.

My characters

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Thanking Henry for the breakfast, Mia made her way down to the office where Magnus and Tim were. "Guten Marten, ensign." She nodded to the wolf before heading over to the vixen.
"I know it might be a little much to expect results overnight, but did you get any information about the next step?" The commander asked as she took a nearby seat. "I'm not going to be able to accompany you personally, but if you know anything about where you need to go next, chances are I'll have a few friends I can send your way. The Dresden come from, and have gone to, pretty much everywhere."

materwolf
Omnipresence
Omnipresence

Post by materwolf »

Tim stood politly and saluted "'Mornin' Commander." He replied before he returned to inspecting the artifact again. "Sleep well?" He asked.

Magnus looked up from her computer screen "I'm afraid there isn't much-at least anything reliable. There are plenty of tabloid websites, but those are hardly ever accurate. I do beleive the second peice is also in Gawain, so you may be able to help us a little longer than expected. I'll try to convince Tim to book a charter plane instead of using teh Catalina he has." She jibed teh last part at Tim. He looked at her "My heat's set on using that ol' tin can, ma."

My characters

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Mia half-distractedly acknowledged the salute. "Well enough, ensign."

She cocked her head a little bit at Magnus' report. "Eh? No clue to the statue's location on the statue itself?" She shook her head. "It seems so unnecessarily complicated. One location isn't hard to memorize, so if the cult that made these statues intended to keep it a secret, why would they make a map? And if they did not intend to keep it a secret, why make the map so darn difficult to find? Speaking from a strategical standpoint, it doesn't make much sense, unless we're missing part of the story."
The hybrid perked up a little bit at hearing that the next was probably in Gawain. "Ah, then I know the just the folks to help you. Most of my HQ work is done in Bayreuth, and they live in Mecklenburg, so I can accompany you part of the way there, at least. On a commercial flight." She packed every single bit of officership into that phrase and spat it right between Tim's eyes. "You may use the Catalina if you want, but I won't be on it. Actually, it might make sense for you to take it, and for Magnus to send someone else with me, as a precaution."
She turned back to Magnus. "That sound good to you?"

materwolf
Omnipresence
Omnipresence

Post by materwolf »

The vixen smiled "I'll acompany you myself. I've never liked warplanes, they're just so...uncomfortable-and from the era the Catalina is from-cold. But I suppose it woudn't hurt to have a private means of leaving should something go wrong." She looked at Tim who was nodding in agreement. He set teh statuette down and stood "Where should we meet up once we're in-country? And when should we meet?" He asked. Tim had gotten out his small notebook and a pet to write this information down so he wouldn't forget.

My characters

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Spanish Scion

Post by Rackenhammer »

Mia's head shot up and looked at Magnus with more than a little surprise. "You're coming yourself?" After a second, however, she let out a small laugh at herself. "Well, far be it from me to discourage leadership from the front lines. A good place to meet would probably be the Getreide und Trauben, a rather good restaurant not too far from the Bayreuth airport." After giving the address to Tim, she pulled out her own PDA and started looking through the flights to Bayreuth. "When we meet depends on what flight I can get, and how soon you can pack... There's an evening flight still available, if you don't mind flying coach. We can meet tomorrow morning, where I can give you directions to the folks."

Looking up again, Mia regarded the pair before her. "While I'm flattered you've let me in on your secret, I don't know as you'd want to do so indiscriminately. I'm sure you'd not be pleased by the reaction the revelation would provoke. However, it wouldn't be too hard to come up with a cover story. Philanthropists still do sponsor archeological expeditions, and that's pretty much what you're doing. You'll be dealing with both a professional and academic scholar, at least, so you'll fit in well."