Cygnus x-1 (Non-feilan, space age, human/furry, closed)

This is where all of the Twilight Zone role-plays are archived.
cossant
Marquis
Marquis
Species: Wolf

Re: Cygnus x-1 (Non-feilan, space age, human/furry, PM to jo

Post by cossant »

Joseph shook his head. "I don't see whats so complicated about it."

Jade interjected. "Outsiders have a different way of climbing down than us, albeit slower, but safer to learn." While speaking, she drew out two curved blades, and walked close to the edge of the cliff. She stabbed her knife into the side of the cliff. "The ice should be thick enough to slow my descent." She got back up, and walked a good distance away from the cliff edge, tying one end of the rope around her waist, Joseph doing the same with the other. Joseph crouched down. "Ready?" Jade called out. "I'm good over here." He called back.

Without further delay, she sprinted for the cliff edge, and dived out over it. Joseph leaned back, hearing his sister's blades carve into the ice. A few seconds later, the rope around him quickly pulled him toward the cliff, though his stance prevented him from going far.

"Okay, I've got a foot hold!" Jade yelled back up. Joseph nodded to the rope. "Hurry up, and climb down. I don't feel like being a living stake for too much longer." he growled, trying to keep his stance firm.

Sponsor

lxHowlxl
Count
Count
Location: On my ship, the Rocinante, wheeling through the galaxies

Post by lxHowlxl »

Howl gestured Leon forward, smiling. "Already, bud, I'm far too heavy for any of you to support alone, so you go ahead first, and once you get to him, I want you to help him out."

Leon frowned, reluctant to go ahead. "I don't know...seems like a long fall..."

"IF you fall, I'm right here to catch you. Just get on with it, we don't want to keep our gracious hosts waiting."

"Ugh, fine..." Leon grasped the rope, slowly climbing down, his heart in his mouth, as he descended towards Joseph. When he finally go to him, he looked up and shouted, "Alright Howl, we're ready!"

Howl, though a bit aged, and very large, still managed to get down with speed. He grabbed the rope with both of his hands and climbed down with haste, his breathes becoming deeper, but not faster, and his heart beat slowing down as well. By these vital signs, most would find Howl surprisingly calm. This is due to his carelessness towards death, developed from years of warfare. Howl reached Leon and Joseph at the foothold, smiling. "Alright, who's next?"
Proudly supporting our soldiers out in Afghanistan and Iraq. Get the job done, then come back home.

Join me on the RP discussion channel on IRC: http://widget.mibbit.com/?settings=bf36 ... la-Serious

I'm an admin there, so don't be trollin' while I'm around.

cossant
Marquis
Marquis

Post by cossant »

Joseph looked down, before taking a piece of ice, and dropping it down. It disappeared from sight, Joseph silently counting the seconds.
The sound of ice shattering floated up to his ears. "14 seconds. We got about ten minutes until we reach the bottom. After that, we should be able to reach the other side. Then we start the long climb back up." He looked up at how far they were. The light was faded from the cliff's shadow, and the top was a good climb up. It was always fun jumping, but the climb back up would take a few hours.

"Alright, lets go." Jade suggested. She began the last part of the descent. "You seem a lot calmer than most others, Howl. You've done this kind of thing before?" she asked.

lxHowlxl
Count
Count

Post by lxHowlxl »

Leon processed the information about the decent. He wasn't worried so much about it, if anything, the climb up would be a challenge for him, considering his thinner frame and weaker upper-body. Howl, on the other hand, was not concerned at all. In fact, he was excited. He always liked hiking and climbing, so just the thought of it made him smile. He knew he'd have to watch out for Leon; he's not the most skilled athlete.

Howl looked at Jade when he addressed him, and smiled. "Yes, and I've done it all my life, actually. As I said before, I come from the mountainous part of my planet, so climbing was common there, in fact, you'd be useless if you didn't know it. Leon, on the other hand..." Howl glanced at him, and Leon stuck his tongue out at him. "...well, let's just say he never got the hang of it like I did. The only problem people have with me climbing is that icy places like this have the tendency to have weak climbing surfaces, and my weight alone could break them."
Proudly supporting our soldiers out in Afghanistan and Iraq. Get the job done, then come back home.

Join me on the RP discussion channel on IRC: http://widget.mibbit.com/?settings=bf36 ... la-Serious

cossant
Marquis
Marquis

Post by cossant »

Jade nodded, knowing fully well what happened to those who tried to normally climbed the ice near the top. Thats why they had developed a way to get down to the rock that was sturdy enough to climb down. Though, getting back up the ice would be a slight problem.

As Joseph descended, he heard a loud gust overheard. Looking up, he could see that a blizzard had started up, though it didn't reach too far down the cliffs. "We'll have to find a resting point once we get farther down. No point in trying to climb back up through a blizzard." He informed the others.

Joseph scanned the cliffs below, noticing a small break in the cliff, about twelve yards down. A good enough resting point. Untying the rope from himself, he separated from the group to scout it out. Jade looked over to her brother. "Be careful, Joseph. the last thing we need is you to fall." she cautioned. "Have I ever fallen, Jade?" he called back, as he quickly climbed down, easily covering the distance. Before he got to the cave, he took out his gun, and slowly lowered himself down and into the cave. He swept his aim over the cave, which wasn't too big. Only enough to accommodate Jade and their guests.

He looked back up from the entrance. "The cave is empty. We can rest here." He called back up to the others.

lxHowlxl
Count
Count

Post by lxHowlxl »

After Leon and Howl both descended from the cliff and into the caves, Leon began to look into his PDA again, checking up on the research teams and mercenaries back at the ship. Howl drew his ACR and turned on the attached flashlight, scanning the cave. "Well, the fact that something could climb up here and live in here is troubling."

Leon nodded. "I've been reading up on the wild life here, and apparently there's plenty of flying species here, so you can imagine searching one of these caves and find a dragon nested in it. Sounds to me that the natives got it hard..." Leon put his PDA into his pocket, drawing his pistol and examining it with his green feline eyes.

Howl, looked outside the cave, leaning on the side of the cave's walls, keeping a watchful eye on their surroundings.

cossant
Marquis
Marquis

Post by cossant »

As Jade sat down, she took out a small cloth from under her coat, setting her gun in her lap. "Its not so bad. We know which species to avoid and which to hunt. We got adequate shelter to shield us from the blizzards, the different creatures around here provide good skins for coats, and our weapons keep most threats at bay." she said, as she wiped off the snow and ice from the gun. Joseph, had produced a small waterskin and a cloth, dripping the solution on the cloth and beginning to clean the inside of his barrel. "Of course, we have to constantly clean and repair them. I hope whatever we trade with the others, we get something reliable and a little less maintenance." Joseph remarked. He ejected his clip, and cleared a bit of ice around the sides of the chamber.

Jade looked over to the entrance to the cave. "it might be awhile until this blizzard blows over. We don't have too far left to go down, though, so we can start our climb back up afterwards." She remarked. Joseph set aside his gun, positive that it would survive the trip back home, at least. "We'll if we got nothing better to do, I'm going to sleep." he said, laying back against the cave wall.

Jade rolled her eyes. Leave it to her brother to sleep all day and stay up all night.

"So, you travel a lot, Howl?" she asked, still cleaning her gun.

lxHowlxl
Count
Count

Post by lxHowlxl »

It wasn't surprising that the inhabitants of the planet had worked their way around such dangerous animals, though it would be impossible for them to get to the space-age without the extinction of key lifeforms. In any case, Howl decided that it would be even more beneficial to have a guide, given the mythic creatures that roam the lands. Leon was thinking more about the valuable resources of the planet and how they've been left untouched by modern civilization. He had no thoughts of taking advantage of the people here, and there was plenty of resources with the exploration of hundreds of planets. But Leon was tired from the long trip, and sleep sounded good, so he leaned up against the cave wall and drifted to sleep.

Howl listened to Jade as she tried to start up a conversation. He nodded, smiling. "You'd be surprised how many wars I've been in, I mostly settle foreign wars, since I can relate to the inhabitants on developing civilizations. I've seen just about everything...except dragons, and I really hope I never do, since I'll most likely get eaten." Howl chuckled, but then frowned, since the possibility of it happening was there. He looked at Joseph, who was trying to get asleep, and he looked at his rifle. He raised an eyebrow at both his and Jade's weapons, then spoke up. "I'm sure you haven't been properly educated with those guns? Most people who use them don't even know their names..." Howl looked down at his ACR, he had his iron-sights flipped up, since any optics would get fogged up and freeze in the unforgiving climate. He had a flashlight on the left railing running along his barrel. Compared to the native's guns, his was more sophisticated and better in many aspects. He looked up at the cave ceiling, staring deep in thought. "All the wars are the same, ya know? It's either a revolution, or ignorance. Religious conflict, money, corruption...it's like living in the past, before Earth and the others rose up from inner conflict and were still fighting over those same exact things...all the main powers have been able to settle these problems in their own planets, but they can barely help anyone else. Outsiders can't hold the hand of the undeveloped nations the whole way, they have to solve it on their own at some point. But there's only one problem: they don't know how." He looked at Jade, his expression was serious. "Whenever you look at that gun, just remember, it's probably been in more wars and killed more men and women then you will ever kill. Hell, if that pod hadn't crashed, I'd be here to settle the conflicts in the mainlands on your planet. If my life wasn't extended by 150 years due to advanced technology, I would have been far too old for this shit."

He got up and walked towards Jade, but his glance fell towards Joseph, who was asleep, he assumed. "Your brother is young, and would be more than willing to shoot me over his prejudice against outsiders than get to know me...I don't blame him. Just remember that as eager as he is to learn and grow, he may pick up some dangerous beliefs on the way. I was like him, once. Always wanting to learn more, intelligent, but childish. He has that youthful spark in his eye, don't let him loose it...I lost it somewhere along all that damn killing." He looked away from him, and back to Jade. "I suppose you know a thing or two about your tribe and its traditions, I'd be happy to learn about them now before I make an ass out of myself later in front of your whole tribe. No matter how many places I visit, the rituals are always too alien to me."

cossant
Marquis
Marquis

Post by cossant »

Jade, still maintaining her gun, let out a soft laugh. "Don't worry about my brother. He doesn't hate outsiders as much as he lets on. In fact, I think he's taking a liking to one of the other outsiders that crashed here about a year ago. We let them come an go as they please, and they supply us with the knowledge of their languages, and certain battle tactics." She informed.

"As for our traditions, our tribe does not have as many as the other tribes. Mainly, we have an Alpha pair to command and direct what we do. The Alpha Male is in charge of the Hunting Parties, defense of our main camps, taking care of any threats to any of our camps, enforcing laws, and maintaining peace among us, to name a few of his responsibilities. Don't let my Father fool you with his hostility. He may be the Alpha Male, but he's a nice guy when he gets to know you. Okay, then we have the Alpha Female, my Mother. She's in charge of relations with other tribes, trade routes, peace treaties, education, law interpretation, and keeping my Father in check." She laughed a bit as she said the last part. "She has no qualms about talking with outsiders, so we'll seek her out first. Oh, and if you see two people fighting and wrestling, don't worry, thats just a way some of us settle disputes or even just to pass the time. Let's see....Well, we all are trained to fight, speaking of which, we are one of the few tribes to teach our females to fight. We all have to learn how to use a rifle, as well as our ancestors weapons. After that, we are free to help the tribe in whatever way we can. Our people can choose their own mates, whether inside the tribe or not. Most of us believe in Arkia, our Spiritual Protector and Guide. And thats about it. As long as you don't try to court another's mate, steal, shoot at us, or something like that, you'll be fine. We are a very accepting people, and the most you'll have to worry about is a few suspicious glances." she finished.

With a yawn, she slung her rifle onto her back and lay against the wall. "Well, I think I'll rest for awhile as well." she announced, as she closed her eyes.

lxHowlxl
Count
Count

Post by lxHowlxl »

Howl nodded as Jade spoke, taking in the information she was feeding to him. He noted how her parents were like, and thought about how he should act there. He decided that they weren't new to outsiders, and that he wouldn't have to worry about adhering to any special rituals. The fact that Joseph befriended an outsider surprised Howl at first, but considering how he wasn't very "hostile" during the trip to their camp, he began to realize that it wasn't all that hard to believe. Still, he would have to be on his best behavior despite his relations with other outsiders. I shouldn't dwell on this...my mission is to get a guide and find the pod, nothing else. He nodded at Jade when she decided to rest. With his footsteps lighter than usual, Howl went back to his spot, keeping watch on the group as they slept.

cossant
Marquis
Marquis

Post by cossant »

Joseph's ear kept twitching in anxiety as he slept. His breath became a bit irregular.

His dream consisted of him in a burned out wreckage. As he looked down, he could see blood running from his arm. A shadow passed his face, and he grabbed for his gun, but found he wasn't armed.

The shadow seemed to take form as it growled, threateningly. But it didn't go for him. It just circled him, as if waiting for the right moment to strike. Joseph tried to move, but found himself frozen by some unknown feeling. The shadow stopped, and let out a rallying battle howl.

Joseph sat up with a start, the fur along his back bristled, breathing heavily. Looking around in a fright, he saw no shadow circling him. Finally, he remembered he was in the cave, waiting out the storm. Laying back down, if anything just to calm his nerves, he listened to the blizzard. It was beginning to settle down. Joseph guessed that he had been asleep for at least three hours.

With a groan, he sat up. The dreams were starting to become more frequent. That wasn't a good sign. He would have to deal with that soon.

Jade stirred, starting to wake up. Three hours was enough rest. As Jade sat up, she stretched, before standing up. "Well, that was a good rest." she yawned. She brushed some dust off her pants, Trying to shake off a bit of ice that had collected on them. The coat was made from the under-flesh of a korugoe, though, so it was pretty durable. Still, she liked to keep things neat.

"Everyone ready to head out?" Jade called to the others.

lxHowlxl
Count
Count

Post by lxHowlxl »

Leon had a deep, dark sleep, and as he stirred, he remembered having a dream. He struggled to remember it, but it was futile. The only things he could piece together was him raising his pistol and firing it at a man in a blizzard. He couldn't identify who the man was, only his silhouette against the light snow was visible. Leon looked to Howl, who had not slept at all, his thoughts making him restless.

Howl was relieved to hear that they would get moving. "Alright...let's go, then." He went to Leon, who was still shaking off his drowsiness. After helping up and patting his back, he approached the exit of the cave, looking to the others. "Alright Jade, Joseph, you two lead the way."

cossant
Marquis
Marquis

Post by cossant »

Joseph cleared a bit of ice from the side of his gun before moving out of the cave. As he dug one of his knives into the thick ice, he looked over and figured out the distance between his side of the cliff and the other side. Not too far. And the other side wasn't a complete sheet of ice. The solid rock offered many holds to climb up.....but something caught his attention. The ice normally covering the rock face seemed to be disturbed. In fact, he could see a small clearing of solid rock leading straight to the top. Considering the extreme of the cold, that meant someone had sheared a pathway up. No one in his tribe would do that. Not even the Striker teams, though they had the power to do so.

A chill swept through his spine, and it wasn't because it was cold. He knew something was wrong.

"Jade, get that roped tied to something sturdy." He called to Jade. Jade, sensing something was wrong, retrieved one end of the rope, the other end in his brother's possession. "Something has him on edge. Usually, he would never pass up a chance to see how far down some of these cliffs go." Jade explained as she tied the rope around a solid looking rock embedded into the ground. She made sure she tied it as tight as possible. Testing the rope with a pull, she felt the rope tightened as her brother had managed to jump the distance and tie it to something on the other side. Jade didn't think about how her brother took a few too many risks. She didn't think about exactly what had her brother scared. All she thought about was getting back to camp. When Joseph acted like this, she knew he spotted something that spelled trouble.

In the back of her mind, away from the adrenaline fueling her actions, she thought about how good of a Striker her brother would make one day.

"Grab the rope, get to the other side, and climb up to the top. Don't stop for anything, or we'll leave you behind." she hurried, as she grabbed the rope, and began to throw one hand over the other, making her way to the opposite side. Joseph had already started climbing up, his desperate lunges and grabs propelling himself up.

lxHowlxl
Count
Count

Post by lxHowlxl »

((Sorry for the very late response, I've been lazy lately. And don't ever worry about me leaving all the sudden, I'll let you know if I want to stop. :P ))

Howl followed orders, despite Jade not having any rank; he'll follow anyone if they know what they're doing, and if it doesn't put anyone into unnecessary danger, of course. He swung across the gap between the mountains with ease, his legs hitting the ice with a thud, luckily not cracking the ice.

Leon, on the other hand, was a bit afraid. For a scientist, many considered him ballsy, but this was different. He had a bad experience as a child, when he tried to swing across a gap in a small canyon, and nearly let go upon impact on the other side. It was an odd thing, to say the least, since he had been climbing throughout most of his life. It wasn't total fear that consumed him, more of just an anxiety nudging on his mind, making him hesitate. The thought of tumbling down that deep, icy pit, meeting a horrible death, his carcass would lay forgotten until some monster would-

"HEY, LEON! COME ON! WE'RE WAITING!" Howl called out on the other side of the cliff, who had already climbed up to the top with Joseph and Jade. Something odd had struck Howl, though. When he was climbing up, he saw that pieces of ice had fallen off before they started their ascension, suggesting the presence of other climbers here. "Do you know of anyone in your tribe that climbs like this? Their tracks in the ice are pretty...conspicuous."

Leon, with his heart in his mouth, grabbed the rope. He didn't look down, only straight ahead. With a deep breath and exhale, he swung across. His feet landed on the ice, and a small, weakened piece of ice fell off. "That's odd..." Leon's eyes followed the piece on it's decent, and accidentally caught a glimpse of the way down. "Sh-shit!" Leon scrambled up the rope, his heart rate sky-rocketing, when he reached the top, he trembled a bit, his legs shaking. "That was c-close...let's go..."

cossant
Marquis
Marquis

Post by cossant »

Jade nodded. "Joseph, would you mind telling us why-Hey! Joseph!" Jade had turned around, and seen that Joseph had already took off. He was already a good distance away from them. "Something's got him really riled up." she announced. Her brother only acted like this once before. It was when he had fought for the safety of the camp, on his own. It had almost cost him his life.

"Raiders...." Jade had her rifle slung off her shoulder in a blur of motion. "We have to hurry." She glanced over to Howl. "You might want to keep your head low. This could turn ugly real fast." She began to hurry off toward her brother.

Joseph was sprinting as fast as he could, the adrenaline propelling him forward. His eyes were set with a fierce determination. "Not this time, you blood-thirsty bastards." he growled as he ran. As he came to the top of another steep hill, he dived to the ground, the cold snow blending perfectly with his coat. He could see the camp just ahead. It wasn't more than a twenty minute run to it. But thats not what caught his attention.

A group of raiders was in front of him, no farther than a stone's throw away. A quick glance told him that their was at least twenty of them, all spaced out. Their weapons varied from shotguns and pistols, to automatic rifles. But that wasn't what caught his attention. A small tank was moving in the center. And that spelled disaster for their camp.

Joseph heard his sister approaching behind him, and crawled back out of sight. He held up a paw balled into a fist.

Jade got the message. "Stop." she ordered, crouching low to the ground. "He sees something." Jade knew what the raiders were capable of. And that had her a bit worried, Not only for her and her brother's life, but for the camp as well.

For a second, Joseph held completely still. Then, his paw opened, and lowered to the ground. Jade nodded up, motioning for the others to stay silent. She slowly crept up to her brother.