Welcome to the World of Feila!

New to the forum? Get started by reading general information about Feila and the rules of the forum.

Need help? Send a private message to RabidFox. The staff is always willing to assist users with questions and problems. There's also a thread for how to role-play.

Don't be shy. Feel free to start posting when you're ready. We have a friendly community that is more than happy to welcome you and invite you to role-play. And don't worry about all the informational threads! You only need minimal knowledge to role-play. There's no need to do lots of reading.

Role-players wanting to write role-playing posts under five sentences, see the One Liners board.

Check out our announcement forum, The World Court, for important information about what's going on in our community.

Want to chat with other Feilans? Check out our Discord server!

Treason Among the Sands (OPEN)

A reasonably powerful nation, ruled by the Reptile. The current system of government is Absolute Monarchy, with a monarch controlling the power. It has the largest Army in Feila, but not the most well-trained. It consists of the Kahunian Army. It geographically is connected to Maze, and is a small country. Similar to Earth's medieval Arabia.
Bailen
Cub
United States of America

Treason Among the Sands (OPEN)

Post by Bailen » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:31 pm

Will you be remembered for centuries to come, or forgotten in the sands of time?

The ancient kingdom of Kahun has long been dead. Many of the ideals and traditions have been carried from generation to generation, but technological advances and the discovery of other civilizations have improved Kahun's society greatly. The Medjay, an ancient order of wandering defenders under the Kahun king's rule, is one example of the old kingdom's death. With a more stable economy and a better militaristic grasp around its borders, the new kingdom of Kahun is thriving and no longer in need of the ancient protectors. Many of the Medjay have either died or moved on with their lives as mercenaries, gladiators, or even retiring from fighting altogether. There are some Medjay, however, that refuse to throw away their old ways, continuing to roam the deserts to assist those in need.

As with any government, corruption is rampant throughout the Kahun Monarchy. Although the king denies it, many of the wealthier houses and politicians thrive on the exploitation of the poor and powerless citizens. A rogue group of Medjay have come to the aid of the downtrodden, upholding their honorable code and turning their backs on the throne they once defended, even going as far as declaring war on the Monarchy itself. A recent failed assassination attempt on the king by an unknown assailant has left fingers pointed at these rogue Medjay, all of whom deny the claim entirely. With tensions high and all-out war on the horizon, the Monarchy, Medjay and the Kahun citizens brace for the violence to come.

History is what you make of it, so choose your side wisely...
Last edited by Bailen on Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor

Bailen
Cub
United States of America

Post by Bailen » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:07 pm

A blurry haze enveloped the distant dunes as the sun rose in Kahun. It was still very early, but the sand was already heating up beneath the jackal's feet. His sharp ears swiveled atop his head as he surveyed the region. He was a long way from home, yet the area was somewhat familiar to him. Still, it had been years since he'd seen the great white walls of Abydos. With a tug of the reigns, Sefka led his trusty camel down the final dune and onto what could barely be considered a road. Instead of a saddle, the camel was fitted with an assortment of fish bags, fruit baskets and other raw goods.

Sef held out his hand, shielding the light from his eyes to see the city on the horizon. The trip across the sands from Amunet to Abydos was a four day journey, and he'd finally arrived. His home village was much smaller in comparison to the walled city. Ironically, Sef felt safer outside in the barren deserts than he did in Abydos. The appointed leader of the city was lining his own pockets with taxpayer money, so there were very few guards on duty. Violence and theft were running rampant. This prompted Sef to keep an extra keen eye on his goods and his coin purse.

To further deter any unwanted hoodlums, Sefka kept his sickle sword looped through his belt rather than in a scabbard. The bright glint of a sharp blade often kept thieves at bay, but he also wasn't afraid to get rough if he really needed to. That, however, was what he really wanted to avoid. The last thing he needed was his name or title as a Medjay being mentioned around here, even though he was retired. And so, with his ragged hood pulled over his ears, Sefka began setting up his merchant stall in a corner of the Abydos Bazaar, intent on selling what he could and leaving in a timely manner.

The Friar
Peasant
Species: Red/Bengal fox
United States of America

Re: Treason Among the Sands (OPEN)

Post by The Friar » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:49 pm

A puff of sand erupts from beneath a pair of uncovered, clawed feet as a gray lizard hops down from the back of a covered wagon. Kadr adjusts and tightens his headscarf as his eyes adjust to the change in light from the back of the wagon to the blazing, desert sun. He had just arrived in the Abydos Bazaar on a merchant caravan from the coast. It had been a long journey, and an unusually arduous one. The caravan leader brought Kadr on to monitor and compile the actions of his employees, which required that he go outside of the wagons to keep an eye on the drivers. Fortunately: his contract with the caravan was now over, and he could return to being outside on his own terms.

He puts his collection of leather-bound parchment books under his arm and looks around for a place to stow himself. He notices a small alcove in a wall in a corner of the bazaar, around 4 feet tall by 4 feet across by 1 foot deep; the perfect size to serve as Kadr's home while he's in Abydos. There is a jackal setting up a merchant stall very near the alcove, but Kadr assumes that he will have no problem with him taking the space. He'll be quiet, after all. As the anxiety of the open space of the bazaar begins to creep up on Kadr, the lizard dashes for the alcove. The closer he gets, the harder it feels to breathe. The more nervous he feels. The more exposed he feels. In the last couple of feet, he drops to the ground and half-slides half-crawls into the alcove. Kadr breathes a heavy sigh of relief as he adjusts himself to be more comfortable in the dark space. Once his breathing and heartbeat return to normal, he lays out one of his parchment volumes on the dusty ground. He takes a quill pen and an inkwell out from his pockets, and begins to write.
This is my signature.

It is a very good signature.

My Characters

Shiloh
Cub
Great Britain

Post by Shiloh » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:23 am

The crowd's roar thundered all around the Abydos arena as two combatants clashed violently in the sandy pit. The armored opponent wore a mask that covered his face, but he was smaller than the spotted hyena he was fighting. She stood a full head taller than him and was clad in gladiatorial armor and cloth. Her tan, spotted fur was almost unrecognizable beneath the layer of blood that covered her arms. Judging by how the fight was going, very little of the blood was her own. Her name was Neith and she had been a gladiator all her life. Many of the arena fighters started out as slaves, but not her. She chose this life in her youth and trained for many years to become a proper gladiator.

Neith ground her teeth, growling furiously as her sword relentlessly smashed against her opponent's shield. The wind from each blow howled and sparks flew as the shield began to break. The opposing fighter, already wounded, staggered back and threw the remains of his shield to the ground. He dropped to his knees, exhausted and wishing to surrender. Neith gave a nod and plunged her curved blade into the sand. The crowd was a mixture of cheers and booing, but Neith shrugged it off. She'd won the fight and she'd be compensated for it. The hyena exited the arena and made her way to her overseer for payment. She grabbed one of the towels hanging as she entered the barracks and began wiping away the blood and grit staining her fur. Several new cuts and bruises were hidden beneath her fur and armor, but she ignored them for now. They weren't bad, so she didn't bother washing them yet.

"Ah, there's my favorite fighter! Another win, another glorious payday!" A deep voice echoed as an overweight bear waddled his way in. He was an older fellow, with deep scars that covered his face and body. "Watching you makes me think about coming out of retirement." He provided a half-smile, showing his yellow teeth as he tossed her a leather sack of gold drachmas. Neith caught the coin purse, not bothering to count it. She trusted him. "I don't know if you'd get very far with that big gut in your way." She smiled back and started to exit the arena barracks. "I'm going to grab some food. I'd offer to pick something up for you, though I don't know if I could afford your kind of appetite, Ziba." The bear scoffed and shooed her away. "Bah! Get out of here before I show you what kind of fighter I used to be!"

The day in Abydos was warm and dry as usual. The bazaar was the best place to get fresh food, but it was always so busy. Neith practically had to fight the crowd just to get into the bazaar. Once there, she started eyeing the stalls for good meat and fresh fruit. All the fighting she endured helped conjure up her appetite.

Bailen
Cub
United States of America

Post by Bailen » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:42 pm

Business began to pick up as the day went on in the bazaar. Sef managed to sell two full bushels of fruit and over a dozen fish. So far, it was a good day. He made more than enough already, and would be able to pick up the supplies he needed for his farm's upkeep. He only owned a few acres of land, but it was precious to him. It was given to him by his father and the soil was very fertile. He often thought of it; the hard work and time he'd put into it, which eventually paid off. The farm sprouted plenty of crops for the yearly harvest. The Gods were definitely looking out for him.

Sef shifted in his seat for a moment, crossing his arms as he kept a keen eye on the people browsing his stall. Amidst the hustle and bustle, Sef noticed a gray lizard making a spot for himself in a nearby alcove. Not that the lizard was trying to stay hidden or anything, but he seemed to be in a hurry, or maybe just anxious. Once the lizard was settled in he removed some papyrus and began scribbling something down. So, he was educated enough to read and write, which meant a great deal around here. Very few could read, even less so could write.

"Are you an acolyte?" Sef decided to speak to the lizard, not wanting to be estranged to someone he was about to sit next to for potentially hours. "An acolyte to the priests I mean," he elaborated as he took payment from a passerby who purchased an apple. "I haven't seen many around here who can write." He provided a friendly, albeit curious smile. It wasn't often that he got a chance to speak to others, at least not lately. Sef was mostly secluded on his farm. Come to think of it, the only people he'd spoken to in the last few weeks were his parents. He patiently awaited a response from his neighbor as the sun grew high.

The Friar
Peasant
Species: Red/Bengal fox
United States of America

Post by The Friar » Wed May 09, 2018 8:59 pm

Kadr is fully engrossed in his writing, as he always is. He smiles as his quill swishes across the papyrus, creating the characters of the words of the story of his own life. He is describing his journey to Abydos in colorful detail, admittedly embellishing a bit to make himself seem less anxious and more heroic. Kadr is, unfortunately, pulled from the fantasy world he is creating for himself by the sound of someone speaking to him back in the real world. the lizard snaps back to reality in order to hear the jackal addressing him. It takes Kadr a moment to fully process what Sef had asked him.

"Oh, no. I have no connection to the men of the cloth." Kadr says, flashing the jackal a wide smile. Kadr is extremely pleased to have such a friendly person to spend the business day with, and the lizard hopes this jackal returns every day he will be spending in Abydos. He elaborates on how he came about his education to Sef. "I belong to a very small sect, where everyone was taught to read and write in the off-chance they were to become the last person able to continue on our traditions. Unfortunately, that great fear came to pass. I put what they taught me too good use, though."
This is my signature.

It is a very good signature.

My Characters