The Sword of Cutting Light

A nation weaker than all but Maze, ruled by the Feline. The current system of government is Imperialist Monarchy, with an Emperor or Empress as Head of State. Its military is only ahead of Maze, as the Yamahanese Army and Navy. It geographically shares a large continent with the Territory of the Ravens. Similar to Earth's medieval Japan.
Asyriel
God
God

Re: The Sword of Cutting Light

Post by Asyriel »

"As you wish." Was Daichi's simple reply to Soun before they headed out into the streets. He could almost feel the samurai's regard on him as they made their way toward the docks. It wasn't hard to guess that Soun probably had questions, but was holding back in observance of proper decorum. Questions were something Daichi had received much of during his travels, and something he was used to. He figured that indulging a few questions would be something to pass the time on the boat, if he could pry them out of the samurai.

He eyed the boat captain's guards warily for a few moments. He closely watched the interactions between the captain and the hybrid that seemed to be in charge of the security detail. There was something unsaid being passed between the two in glances and posture, there was a tension that did not put him at ease.

The fox behind him spoke up quietly, and he almost chuckled. "You've trained, don't let them hit you." He replied quietly in teasing tones. "I will do what I can." He finished before moving onto the boat.

He took a seat not far from Soun, and leaned against some boxes, his tail wrapped around to stretch out parallel to his legs, and his staff leaning on his shoulder. He leaned his head back a bit, then spoke to Soun. "I would share information about myself, if there is anything you would like to know." He offered with a bit of a smile.

Sponsor

Eddy
Baron
Baron
Species: Otter

Post by Eddy »

Removing the sword from his waist sash, Soun sat down on his saddlebags. Laying the sword across his crossed legs, he considered the lizard for a moment, he strokes his whiskers thoughtfully. "I'll admit, I'm curious as to who you are. Your accent says that you are from the east, yet I have heard of any scales living there. Excuse my ignorance, Holy One, but I am not sure where I stand with you."

Awaiting the Monk's answer, he looked over the fox who had tagged along with curiosity, perhaps he was a servant of the monk? Or a novice? If she was in his order, he must not have been with them long, his bearing was all wrong for a Monk.

As they spoke, the shipmaster began barking orders to his crew, who began the process of warping the boat out into the river. Casting the occasional nervous glance at the 'bodyguards' he'd hired
Nemo me impune lacessit
"Dieu n'est pas pour les gros bataillons, mais pour ceux qui tirent le mieux" - Voltaire
Characters
- Uthred
- Bjor
- Captain S.B. Fleming
- Lukas
- Eddy

Chiashi Zane
Rogue
Rogue
Species: Kitsune

Post by Chiashi Zane »

Chiashi sidestepped, putting the monk between herself and the crew. Her hands twisted loosely around the cord on her wrists, preparing to use it, "Hai."

All around, the crew was moving, pulling lines across the deck and laying into the sails and spars. Some of them moved with more trained purpose. The kitsune kept closer watch of them, as the ones clearly trained, and thus most likely dangerous. The less trained crew could probably be subdued easily, but she had to be careful. She had a limited number of free darts, and her rope-darts were only good for nearby targets.
"Seat me there, atop the highest hill, that I might sight my artillery. I shall paint our opposition in bright colors of reds and yellows and blues." - Chiashi Zane; Trickster, Siege Engineer; Yamaha.

HistoricVeggies
Thief
Thief

Post by HistoricVeggies »

While Takeo had instructed his thugs to blend in and they did so try to look as though they belonged on a boat, they no doubt stuck out a bit. However the hybrid himself settled on some crates across the deck from the other three travelers reclining, just staring at them waiting to see if they made any moves. The young leopard seemed to have accepted their guise whether he had any clue as to their true identity did not matter to Takeo and the monk seemed to be having a similar reaction to the "new" crew, but the multi-tailed fox was looking about nervously, he could see his hands tightening in expectation of a fight and this made Takeo laugh. His laugh rang out across the deck and his now deadly smile was aimed right at the nervous little fox.

Before he could continue with his scare tactics one of his hired help approached him and whispered in his ear, "What's the plan now, boss?" Takeo immediately stood up and took him by the throat but released him just as quickly so not to start an incident. "We'll travel on this river a bit, once we have gone far enough into the river to guarantee no interruptions I will take the boat and those fools." Takeo's grimace grew into a dirty grin, "Shouldn't take long to get them talking about that sword." The ronin threw a glance their direction to ensure they were still talking amongst themselves before shoving his thug away "Get back to work!"

The ship's captain stood at the helm, he was no brave captain just a simple ferryman that traveled the river and as he watched this vile vagabond with a sword take his ship and disgrace his crew he became filled with rage. Moving across the deck he now stood before his samurai passenger bowing deeply. "My lord, might I have a word?" As he bowed he quickly looked behind him to make sure the ronin bastard was still harassing his crew.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Daichi watched as Chiashi moved around the ship, the fox was putting out way too much nervous energy in his opinion, but he wasn't going to dwell on it. Whatever was coming was going to happen, he could not control the world around him, but he could prepare himself to face what may come. He instead turned his attention back to Soun, and gave a small smile. "I was given to the order at a very early age, but from what I know, there is a small reptile settlement in the eastern mountains somewhere near my monastery" He paused for several moments as he contemplated Soun's dilemma. "Well, many weapons of legend were created by the masters, and grand masters of my order, and our weapons are oft sought out by samurai. I am currently on a journey as the last step to becoming a grand master of my order. May I suggest that a position of friendly mutual respect would serve best for the nature of this current quest. I of course recognize your position as leader and will follow you."

He went silent, and watched the altercation between two of the supposed guards, while the captain approached to ask for a word with Soun. He pulled one leg in till his knee was close to his chest, and shifted his weight slightly to allow himself to get to his feet quickly should the need arise. He then divided his attention between what was going on between the captain and Soun, and what was going on with the 'guards'.

Eddy
Baron
Baron

Post by Eddy »

Soun's eyes widened, he he lowered himself in a kneeling bow. "It is an honour to have a Master with me. I expect your wisdom and experience will serve well!" Chuckling, he sat back up, visibly more relaxed, "it is indeed a good omen. My ancestor and namesake was a blacksmith, he was elevated in the service of Emperor Go-Reizei almost a century ago!" He opened his mouth to continue the tale with the enthusiasm that most Samurai had when speaking about their great Ancestors, but stopped when he was approached by the ship's Captain.

Upon hearing the Captian's query, he rose with sword in hand. Following him a distance from his companions, he looked at the Captain, suddenly realising that he seemed rather anxious. "What is it Captain?"
Nemo me impune lacessit
"Dieu n'est pas pour les gros bataillons, mais pour ceux qui tirent le mieux" - Voltaire
Characters
- Uthred
- Bjor
- Captain S.B. Fleming
- Lukas
- Eddy

Chiashi Zane
Rogue
Rogue

Post by Chiashi Zane »

The fox glanced around, ears focusing tightly on the words of the captain. Almost noiselessly she leaned up to the lizard's ear-hole, "Brother, what do you smell?" Lizards were famous for their sense of smell, while foxes like her were known for being eerily good at overhearing what they weren't supposed to. But she couldn't tell what the captain's attitude was just from the tone of his voice. She had lied enough to know that tone was far from the most reliable way to read a person.

Any information her brother-monk could gather on the physical state of the captain would help. And then maybe, if it was innocent, she could relax. She knew that if anyone could see her tails beneath her robes, they would instantly know how tense she was, muscles rippling under her fur, preparing her to launch into action.
"Seat me there, atop the highest hill, that I might sight my artillery. I shall paint our opposition in bright colors of reds and yellows and blues." - Chiashi Zane; Trickster, Siege Engineer; Yamaha.

HistoricVeggies
Thief
Thief

The captain held a deep bow before his samurai guest, but quickly released from tradition to save time in this dangerous situation. Leaning closely to the samurai he softly began explaining their situation while glancing behind him every few words. "The bodyguard you see there, the hybrid, I never hired him, lord. He forced his way on to my ship and threatened me should I out him and his thugs." Before he could give any assumption as to what they were after or why they would take a simple river ferry an arm snaked around his shoulders holding him tightly.

Takeo had noticed the captain come down from the helm and when he saw him request an audience with the young samurai he immediately knew what the captain was playing at. "Do we have a security concern, captain?" Takeo's words were thick with malice, "You mustn't trouble our guests even if they are samurai, after all I'm just as capable." His smile grew large and nasty as he turned from the captain to Soun. "Forgive the captain, he has always been the nervous type, I assure the safety of this ferry, lord." Once again Takeo allowed the word "lord" to drip with venom and with this last word he quickly turned himself and the captain back towards the helm.

As he walked with captain in hand he put his mouth very close to his ear, "You may have pushed our plan ahead in time a bit, ferryman. Which in turn has pushed your death a bit ahead in time." he gave him a shove and turned toward his thugs giving them a nonverbal cue to began preparing for their attack. The thugs slowly made their way around the group of travelers, still acting as thought they where crewmen, however one began reaching in his kimono for a dagger.

(OOC: I know a fight is coming and sometimes fights are a bit difficult to roleplay, so I will just say now the thugs are total fodder and feel free to take control of them, kill them, incapacitate them, etc. As for characters fighting, I figure we can discuss it in the shady tavern beforehand and decide an outcome.)

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Daichi had always been in the habit of observing those that were around him, and after decades had become very good at reading peoples movements and behaviours. He was silent for a moment, watching what was going on around them, before he replied to the fox. "Fear, anticipation...." He replied at length. "Their movements tell it all though." He said as he nodded toward where the Captain had just been interrupted by Takeo. "He fears the ronin, and they are not as familiar with each other as the ronin would have us believe." He paused for another brief moment to glance around the ship. "there are others that move with the anticipation of wolves closing to kill"

As he finished the last word, he exploded into motion. He rose to his feet, swept Chiashi to one side, and brought his staff across to slam into the arm one of the thugs who had crept up behind the fox was reaching for a dagger with, all in one smooth motion. He spread his stance for stability and squared off with the thug for a moment, speaking as he did. "Watch my back, and I will watch yours." He told the fox as he took a quick glance at Soun to ensure that he was not in need of immediate assistance.

The thug took Daichi's momentary distraction as a chance to attack. The thug drew his dagger and lunged in an attempt to get inside Daichi's reach, and it worked for a moment. Daichi reacted quickly, twisting his hand at one end of his staff to separate it from the rest. A quick flick of motion brought the separated end of the staff swinging by it's chain into the underside of the thug's jaw. The thug stopped in his tracks as his mouth was snapped shut by the impact, and Daichi took the moment's reprieve to again check make sure his companions were not in need of his help.

Eddy
Baron
Baron

Post by Eddy »

Feeling his hackles rise, Soun noticed the crew slowly moving to surround him. Taking a breath, he cleared his mind and took stock of the situation. The deck was cluttered and was moving under him, meaning that it would be a poor place for effective swordsmanship. In a casual manner, he leant his sword against a stack of crates, causing smiles and sniggers amongst his attackers.

Taking another deep breath, he lowered himself naturally into a fighting stance, legs bent, arms raised in front of him. Realising the ruse was up, one of the thugs, a tattooed hybrid stepped forward, drawing a tarnished sword. "This one's mine! Always wanted to take the head of a Samurai. Even if he is just a cub the Masters will pay well for it."

With a yell, the thug swung his sword in a two handed slash designed to sever the leopard's head from his shoulders, from there Soun's body moved on it's own. Stepping in, he took control of the hybrid's arm and used the momentum to toss his opponent onto the hard deck timbers. Drawing the knife from his sash in a single fluid motion, he plunged it into his opponent's ribs before twisting and removing it just as smoothly. Rising back into his stance, he shook blood from his sleeves before turning to the rest of the momentarily stunned attackers.

They attacked again, but with more caution, the remaining three splitting apart intending to catch him from all angles. Sound felt fear rise in his chest, but quickly swallowed it down, emptying his mind into a void as the attackers made their move. The countless hours of training paid off, Soun's body moved instinctively, twisting aside blows controlling opponent's limbs and opening them up for swift counter-attacks. Although he felt a few cuts and bruises they didn't register as he felt his limbs moving through the techniques as if he were in a training session.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Characters
- Uthred
- Bjor
- Captain S.B. Fleming
- Lukas
- Eddy

Chiashi Zane
Rogue
Rogue

Post by Chiashi Zane »

As the monk moved away, Chiashi took two quick steps back, keeping her tails close to his feet. It wasn't common knowledge, but the position of the feet was a good indicator of the direction the body was going to move. The flicking of her tail caught the almost delicate motion of toes gripping the deck for a dodge, which way was irrelevant, and she launched herself up. Arms outstretched, she arched over his head, and that of the thug he was levelling. There was another thug that had seen her jump, and was waiting to catch her, arms out, blades in hand. A delicate twist brought her arms to his wrists, using her weight against him to drive both blades into the deck.

The next move was a standard sweep, leg knocking him across the shins before her fist, now clutching the steel head of her dart, slammed into his pelvis hard enough to crack bone. He went down, and she jerked one of the swords out of the deck, "Who's next?!"

HistoricVeggies
Thief
Thief

Takeo slid his blade from its sheath returning the scabbard to his sash. The thugs he had brought along were quickly dispatched as he stood casually swinging his sword from side to side. As the fighting erupted on the deck the captain made a dash back toward the hybrid who gave him a violent shove as he passed and Takeo let out a demented chuckle. The hired criminals now lie about the deck subdued and the fox made a challenge to future attackers to which the scarred ronin happily replied. "You'll have to deal with me now!" the sick grin on his face grew larger as he slid his sandals across the boards widening his stance and pointing the tip of his sword at the the three.

Takeo knew he was at a great disadvantage with this current predicament considering he was now facing several relatively skilled fighters. The ronin's swordmanship was no doubt his greatest asset and he could easily face one opponent on a crowded and moving ship with just his katana or even defeat three on solid ground, but his position favored neither scenario. Takeo continued to posture as though he could easily take all three, but hoped that perhaps they would misjudge his threat and come at him one at a time. "What!? You're not scared are ya'!?" He followed this statement with a violent rush leading to a feint overhead slash.

Asyriel
God
God

Post by Asyriel »

Daichi watched as Chiashi vaulted over him. He had dodged, but he hadn't moved far. "So much for watching backs." He muttered to himself under his breath as he brought the free swinging end of his staff across to finish off his opponent. He took a moment to assess the situation, and it seemed the only hostile individual left was the hybrid ronin.

He moved up close to Soun, and spoke quietly. "Watch his movements, his stance. He is skilled, we would be well advised to use a coordinated attack." He suggested quietly. They weren't allowed a chance to coordinate any further before the ronin rushed.

Daichi stepped back while unlocking the other end of his staff. He watched carefully, waiting for the ronin to be distracted and leave an opening for him to step in, and counterattack.

Eddy
Baron
Baron

Post by Eddy »

With his opponents defeated, Soun advanced on the final Ronin. This one evidently had more skill, but it didn't take much to sense the advantage was on the side of the allies. Holding his long knife in a guard ahead of him, he advanced slowly. His heart was beating, his swordsmanship was good but he sensed that the hybrid's posturing was only a front to get his opponents to drop their guard.

Suddenly the Ronin charged at the fox, it was a clumsy attack, in his swordsman's eyes an obvious feint but to those without experience a frightening attack. He moved quickly, using what cover the deck afforded to close the distance. Regardless of whether the feint worked or failed, it would give him an opening to catch the hybrid in a body lock. Glancing out of the corner of his vision, he saw that the monk's mind was much the same as his own. Hopefully the fox was capable of weathering the attack.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Characters
- Uthred
- Bjor
- Captain S.B. Fleming
- Lukas
- Eddy

Chiashi Zane
Rogue
Rogue

Post by Chiashi Zane »

The strike just barely connected, the blade sliding through the fabric of her sleeve as she brought a dart up to block. She ducked down under the blade, and struck forward, dart clasped in her other hand to reinforce her punch, even as he blocking arm came down, blood running out of the sleeve, staining her tunic scarlet down the left side, "Aow!" Her tails slid against the deck, coiling in preparation for an uppercut strike from her bloodied arm.