In Brightest Day, in Blackest Night...

This is where all of the medieval Gawain role-plays are archived.
Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
Species: Ferx
United States of America

Re: In Brightest Day, in Blackest Night...

Post by Rackenhammer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:53 am

Telemain couldn't have really been sure if Melissa was right or not. For all he knew, the University could have been building golems in his absence. He did remember they'd taken an intact one into the grounds...
The more the ferx thought about it though, the more familiar the enrgy burst seemed. There was something, on that ship- "Amelengrien. That soul-reaver must be doing something." He explained his companions. "Back when I first encountered Vedicus, I was with a young wolf named Logan, who'd had to deal with having a 400-year old wizard in his head called Amelengrien, an expert oul-reaver, and a fellow-enemy of Vedicus." He sighed. "We eventually managed to get him a separate body, and struck an alliance with him. He'd proven helpful, but... well, under any other circumstances, we would have had nothing to do with him. The Dean didn't want his help, but she was overruled by the rest of the Octariat."

As for what they were to do right now... "We'll stay with Naia. She's the most powerful soul present, and with a reaver on the loose, someone's going to have to stand guard over her." With that, he led the way alongside Miranda into the infirmary, standing close over his apprentice.

~

The Dean was grateful for Nessus' help in briefing Zodt. She wanted all her strength for running. *He'd better have not done anything to one of my students...* Valencii, her fellow Octariat council member, and Matteo were close behind her as she barreled through the door, stopping short as she saw Caraennyn and another student with a disheveled-looking Logan.
"He looked really sick when we found him, like after his friend Azzad had been killed." The cat explained. Concern for her student trumping all others for a moment, Dr. Martin went over to him, examining him. She did not like what she saw. "Dear child.... what has happened to you? What have you done?"
She turned to Matteo. "You, fetch Naismith and Kosigan. Have them take Logan and place him under vigil. Giolen, Crisena, fetch all the faculty you can on this floor. We have a potential disaster on our hands..."
Be Humble in Yourself, but Adamant in the Truth.

Discord: PrinceBlueblood#8840
All my characters in their insane length

Sponsor

Indrick151
King
Species: Wolf
Location: Before the altar, below the earth, above the heavens

Post by Indrick151 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:23 am

Amelangrien looked out of the window in his ‘room’, thinking on the events that could or might transpire, he didn’t care whether Logan managed to hide his new power from the Dean and her lackeys. In fact he didn’t care if the boy got himself killed in the process. He’d already had his victory. He’d completely corrupted something that had been good. There was no path back for Logan now, even if he confessed and spoke his heart to the Dean and the academy he could most likely expect their mercy to keep him contained here. Logan had thought he knew just how much it would cost him when he came to Amelangrien, and he had learnt just what a monster he was becoming, but he had absolutely no idea just how steep the price would become in just a few minutes. He would lose everything that he had built here, and every friend, every person would become an alien to him. Either way, the most benign solution would still end in the very life that he feared to have. And Logan’s fears were something that Amelangrien knew quite well. And anyhow, for Amelangrien it was a triumph over the Dean and her kindness, for all her gentle attitude and soft approaches, she had still utterly failed to save Logan from Amelangrien.

Amelangrien was tempted to leave the academy now, he’d done his deed, but that would ruin the main course, the satisfaction of seeing the Dean now that he had defeated her in the battlefield for Logan and his redemption. Perhaps a final word would not hurt, a parting insult to her noble self. And so rising from his seat, he strode from the room, through the open door stepping over the alarm wards, setting their magical claxons off as he set out for a final insult before his departure once and for all from this place.

Logan looked around him when he heard Caraennyn’s voice and saw the cat there, his entire attention was focussed inward, trying to work out how to silence the girl, to shut her up and keep his sanity. But he tried to smile at Caraennyn, it was tight and forced, as he leant against the wall, “uh hey, just uhh... tired... training and all” he replied, “I’ll be good, don’t need to go... to the infirmary...” he trailed off as another bout of hysterics began from the soul within his body, making his left arm tense and send small flickers of magic down it, the energy dissipating swiftly before he brought himself under control.

Damnit, she can affect my body? Could she... control it? could she control me? He thought, his eyes widening in no small amount of fear. He couldn’t let a soul control him, not again, not ever, he’d bind this stupid girl down, he’d shut her up and keep his own body. She would never control him. He would never take back seat to his life again. And in his mind these fearful thoughts slammed into the child’s vulnerable soul like a ton of stone, crushing it into a wailing submission.

It was by this point that another had come and found him, he remembered seeing him, but didn’t know his name. And so gritting his teeth he stood up, trying to straighten his posture before more arrived. “I’m fine... just pushed myself too hard. I need to rest in my room” he grunted out.

However he was not to make such an easy escape from anyone, and as he took even two steps to walk past the other two furs he saw the Dean and company rounding the corner ahead. And that sent his blood running cold. His abject terror this time holding him there, if the Dean knew what he’d done, if she realised that he had gone to Amelangrien, that he had given into his grief and anger and need for revenge in the worst possible way then there was no telling what could happen. And it was then that the cold truth sunk in, he’d accepted to become a monster, he had made a deal with the devil and had become one himself. He’d never achieve his dreams. They would lock him up, they would reject him, and he would not only have the ghosts of the dead haunting his thoughts but the scorn of the living. And that look in the Dean’s eyes as she checked him, it was like she knew, she knew that he’d done it, she was going to lock him up, she would rob him of everything. She’d take it from him, her and the rest of the teachers, he could never let another control his fate, he’d made this choice because everyone used him like a pawn. He had chosen to go to Amelangrien because he could never let others take his fate into their hands. He had to stop his feelings and his dreams being trod into the mud. He would be no pawn like he had always been. Amelangrien had used him to break free of his prison, the mages were training him to be just another pawn in their war with Vedicus, and no matter how righteous their cause, he was still a foot soldier. How else could the tasks he’d assisted them with such as the locating of the Dyshulian survivors be justified? They wanted to train him to fight and die. All because they didn’t have the power and means to rival Vedicus, so instead they would use numbers. And to the Dyshulians he was just as expendable, a wolf that was inferior to them in every single way, just like Azad, expendable and ultimately worthless except as a bargaining chip if the need arose. Everybody either saw him as a tool or as a fragile creature to be used, discarded or cared for like a baby.

Yes the Dean had been kind to him, yes she had cared, but she’d hate him now, she’d condemn him as a beast, one that needed to be locked up, one who could never be allowed out. And he could not allow that, even if it meant lying to her or deceiving her. Or an even darker possibility slithered through the darkest recesses of his mind, so deep that he denied them, he was not so far gone yet. He could never do that to her or anyone else he had cared about yet.

“I’m fine Dean... I was just training on my own... I pushed myself too hard and a spell backfired. I think I just need to rest” he lied, his voice growing steadier, it was easier to control the girl now, and he had put her in her place and was learning how to block out her voice. Or at least his fear was doing that for him for now. However his ability to contain her and to keep thinking straight was a balancing act, which at any moment could come tumbling down.

It was only a few moments after he said that that Amelangrien made his ill timed appearance, walking down the corridor behind Logan, his golden eyes flashing over those present, his head cocked slightly as a soft smile was on his features. He looked almost serene. If a beast like him could look serene. He nodded to the Dean and Nessus, ignoring the rest present as he walked. He saw no reason to acknowledge the rest, unless they gave him reason otherwise.

Logan turned to see Amelangrien and he stared, his blood running colder if that were possible, and in those eyes and satisfied expression he could see the depths of the malice used upon him. Amelangrien had done this not to help himself or Logan. Instead he was playing a game, he had not wanted an apprentice, instead he had wanted to have fun bringing down others dreams and hopes. Because although killing and destroying souls did that, it was too easy. By far it was more satisfying to undermine and shatter ones dreams while they lived, to draw pleasure from the pain in their faces and in their hearts as their world slips away while they desperately try to cling to it. To see them alone and shattered in ways that death alone could never achieve. He had drawn pleasure from Logan every single moment of that day thus far. He drew pleasure from the knowledge that in but a few minutes time all here would be in some way hurt by Logan’s actions. And that ultimately it was Amelangrien and Logan’s fault. To him this was almost paradise. Only one thing better existed and that would be to add them to his collection after hurting them so. But he could not do that now.

“Hello Dean, Nessus, I’m sorry to walk out of my ‘pleasant’ cell, but I had to see what the commotion was about, it was so distracting and made it hard to focus on my thoughts” he said nonchalantly, as though he were not responsible for Logan’s condition. “And my my, I wonder what Logan’s doing here? By the by, don’t you all have jobs? Or is chasing after tired students more important than the war we’re in?”
'reality is bending and screwing me over but at least it has decency' - Jackie twisting my words.

'In a war in heaven, Angels fall first'

[url=http://indrick.mypersonality.info][img]http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/17/175572.png[/img][/url]

Rainwhisker
King
Species: Lynx canadensis

Post by Rainwhisker » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:57 pm

"Soulreaver," Feres echoed quietly. What about that word sounds so familiar?

His father spoke of it once - the art was taboo, a practice so inhumane, it was also a large threat to the world. Many times in history's past they would quell those who practice it - yet this day and age there's no certainty as to how many there are or how well they are kept under watch. The lynx shuddered; not because of the fact that one could be near - it's simply because he did not remember his father speaking such words to him. Perhaps a book? No, he was sure someone had told him, and that was his father.

Breaking out of his quiet moment, he stuck with the rest of the party, watching Naia carefully. The beauty was clearly something else - and had shown a great deal of mysterious power in the past which is completely unstable. He shuddered again; he wondered what can happen should a soulreaver take her soul for his own. His mind brooded on, thinking of the potential uncontrollable destructive capabilities.
Image Image- I pranked/shot Felia. Mwahahaaha!

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Sade
Dysuhlian >:C
Species: Toaster

Post by Sade » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:35 pm

Use him, part of Nessus urged. Use them both; they are tools. First one was more useful than the other, now both are very useful. They are weapons. Use them as weapons! But he shook the thoughts away. He could treat the entire history of his people as a great experiment, and it had proven the folly of such thinking. It had ended poorly for all involved.

"Of course we have jobs," Nessus blurted incredulously at the black and golden-eyed creature, "and we are at war; all of us, you included. But we cannot fight it effectively unless we maintain order in the ranks!" How they could have convinced themselves that this wolf was controllable… he no longer knew. It'd made sense at the time.

Zodt looked at Nessus a moment. She did not agree with his reasoning; law and order should come from the passions and wisdom of the fur, not be forced upon it by some external regime. What these wolves were doing was absolutely wrong, but it was for another reason entirely. "To use a soul for fuel is to corrupt the soul within and injure a person's sense of what is right and wrong. A warrior cannot fight for the betterment of her people with her mind so skewed! How can we now trust this boy?"

Melissa followed Telemain and the others into the infirmary, glowering if she could be said to glower.

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Post by Kitsunegami » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:57 am

Once she was in the infirmary, Naia showed the first hints of coming out of her catatonic state. She was starting to get used to the sheer magical power present in the university grounds. Jyya had been preoccupied after her fall, but sensed the burst of energy from where Logan was. She was thinking of how she could make up for her earlier blunder with the tamper. She caught up with Marcus, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to fall, but something nearly blinded me up on the tamper. I'd like to make it up to you some how." she said to him.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:06 am

Dr. Letitia Martin was a fur of simple hatreds. There was no corruption or decadence involved; it was the simple revulsion any decent soul felt when confronted with a mountain of pride and evil. The look on Amelengrien's face, the way he poised himself, the cruel assumption of innocence in his voice... Right now, she hated all of these more than anything else; not even Vedicus had struck to the heart of the University so.

It was all easy to see; this was an essentially a purposeless act of cruelty, designed to crush the boy and crack her own heart. *No. I'm not going to give this one an ounce of satisfaction.*
She turned slowly to face Nessus and Zodt, putting up a paw for silence. This was between her and her student. She knelt down, looking Logan straight in the eyes, paws on each side of his head. "Dear child... I'd thought I could keep you safe behind these walls. I'm sorry; I'm so, so sorry. Please, let her go." She spoke softly, aware that the wolf was literally coming to pieces in front of her. "It doesn't have to be like this. He is not in charge of this University. If you need help, I'll get it for you. If you want to be kept out, I'll keep you away from all this. Just... let her go. That's all you need to do. I'm not going to hurt you. Please, release the soul; let her pass on. I'll grant her safe passage, and we'll stay with you. I won't abandon you. Just let her go."

The Dean knew that Logan had chosen a dark path. It hurt her; it hurt her deeply. But, she had been the Dean of Students for over 20 years now, long enough to know what her students really needed. Right now, Logan needed a way out; needed to know that he didn't have to keep walking this way. It was up to him, now. The badger would not reject him here, but he could reject her. *I'll bet you never expected this, you SOB.*

~

Telemain was heartened by the signs of consciousness Naia was showing. "Seems she's coming around."
"Yes," Miranda eased the still-out fur onto a bench. "Simple shock, is all. Off the top of my head, I'd say it had to do with her magical field encountering the Universities. I gather she's used to being to dominant influence in her area."
"I... guess you could say that." The last of Tel's anxiety bubbled off in a small laugh of relief. Was that all? He began to think he'd acted uncommonly like a fool. He gave a sort of sheepish smile to his companions. "I suppose I should have considered that. Just had so much on my mind right then-"

The ferx's smile did not so much fade as drain. "We still haven't told them about the impending attack! And... what is with all those rats in the town, anyway?" Tel found hismelf with a new host of worries replacing those of his apprentice. "And there's still that soulreaver, Amelengrien." He resumed his guarding stance over Naia, suddenly alert for anything suspicious.

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:07 am

"Calm yourself, Tel." Feres began, patting the ferx on the shoulder. "All the worry you do will make your fur grey faster than my uncle;" he grinned at him. "If there is truly a crisis about - then surely the place will not be as orderly as it is right now," he gently consoled his friend, looking to Naia and the rest of the infirmary, partly curious if there were any remedies of any sort that he hadn't known in this room yet, but kept his attention to the ferx. "As for the soulreaver - we'll be here and it will be fine - the dean seems like she will take care of it. Worry not. The warnings will have to come soon - but I implore you to just settle down first." He certainly saw no need for Telemain to deliver a warning looking like a nervous wreck; and the high strung ferx certainly ticked all the boxes.

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Indrick151
King

Post by Indrick151 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:00 pm

Amelangrien tilted his head at Nessus’s outburst, examining the rat disinterestedly, as well as the other who had spoken to him. She on the other hand was interesting. Powerful, calm, and certainly possessed of a strong will. Perhaps someone to toy with one day, if she didn’t get herself killed in the meantime. He’d need a new project once he was done with the Dean and Vedicus. Still, he was done now. The Dean could hide her feelings as best as she could, she could do her best to salvage Logan. But the damage was done. He’d come out of this either a shadow of his former self, a monster or dead.

He looked at Zodt, not knowing who she was still “well I suppose that you can’t trust him, why not just kill him here so he can’t betray you?” he gave harsh bark of laughter. “Or maybe he’ll do the world a favour and kill himself. Because clearly you can’t help him Dean. Can you reverse time? Can you undo his actions and choices? And if so what’s to stop him from dooming himself another way? It’s all he’ll ever do. He is a burden, one which won’t help you win a war. And if you feel the need to carry him and those like him, then you’ll lose it. So give up on him” He goaded her.

Logan was breaking down more each second. It was however taking longer than the last time, he could hear what was going on around him and he had heard the Dean’s words, but he could also hear Amelangrien’s words, cutting through his mind like a knife. But that fiend wasn’t a teacher, he was a beast, his words didn’t matter. But they were so true too, he’d do this again. No that wasn’t true! He was being played by Amelangrien. He had to let go of the soul and release her, he had to concentrate. But if he did he’d lose the power... But was that more important than his own conscience?

So lifting a shaking paw he tried to will the soul of the girl from him, trying to push her spirit into his paw, the broken girl was still weeping and resisted every effort he made, not because she wanted to, but because she was terrified. She didn’t want to leave, as bad as it was now she was terrified of where she could go. She had been paralysed by fear which had been her existence ever since she had died. But he nudged her out, slowly, forcing the soul into his paw. And it was there that it was hardest, because he could feel the power in the soul now, he could sense it, and he could crack the soul open and take it, mold it into a spell the likes of which he had never wielded before. But he couldn’t do that either. He’d heard her screams and tears, and he’d felt her fear. He couldn’t take this path, and yet... he’d already taken some steps down it. But perhaps some good would come of it, at least this girl would move on and face the afterlife rather than oblivion.
'reality is bending and screwing me over but at least it has decency' - Jackie twisting my words.

[url=http://indrick.mypersonality.info][img]http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/17/175572.png[/img][/url]

osprey77
Marquis
Species: Black Cat/Raven

Post by osprey77 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:47 pm

Crisena watched the proceedings in silence, but her heart ached for the young wolf. Please, let her go, the grey dog's mind echoed the dean's words. You can do it, Logan, just let her go. The girl hoped with all her heart that Logan could be restored, but knew that his choice, like every action, would have consequences. Crisena could only pray that the worst damage could be reversed.

The girl had the heart, if not the talent, of a healer. She tried to lock eyes with the wolf, silently pleading with her fellow student, it'll be alright, just let her go...
"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C. S. Lewis

"With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere."
C. S. Lewis

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"
C. S. Lewis

All my Characters:
http://twilightus.net/feila/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5253

Sade

Post by Sade » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:38 pm

Nessus felt a peculiar kind of anger. At first he thought it might be anger with Logan for making such an abysmally terrible choice- and this did bother him greatly- but he was actually angry with himself, with his inability to help. He wracked his mind for anything useful, for any tidbit of magical lore, any near-forgotten spell lingering in the dark corners of his head, but there was nothing there. He thought for the briefest of moments that the assault golem was the key; they could use it to siphon the soul from Logan… but then it would be trapped another place and slowly destroyed. Plus, the golem could explode. And it simply would not have worked without the kind of magical apparatus used to fuel the machine in the first place. So the rat did nothing but hope. And doubt. He hoped Logan would be able to release the soul, but he doubted this whole catastrophe would have a happy ending.

He refused to let Amelangrien's continuing jeers get to him. He simply turned slightly away and refused to acknowledge them. Unfortunately this lined him up with Zodt, and she was not ignoring the wolf. She glared at him, something between a sneer and a snarl twisting her lips. Nessus secretly hoped she would attack, if only for the satisfaction of that first solid crack of bone before magical hell broke lose. He did not doubt her ability to land the first blow, but… well, magical hell would break lose.

The ill-advised attack never came.

At length the furry-tailed jird stormed out, throwing her arms up in exasperation with…everything. She did not have any real investment in the Logan issue, but she secretly resolved to act unilaterally if he proved to be a threat to the peace and safety for which they all fought.

She did not immediately leave the University, thinking better of this opportunity to poke about and see what this land's elite were up to behind their massive walls and magical wards. The reconnaissance work would help ease her nerves; the information would help her followers plan for all possible contingencies, as was their way.

Marcus had nothing more to do. Ever. So he slumped low on a partially crushed wooden crate and absentmindedly tugged on the week-old tare in his ear while staring at the dirt of the alleyway. "It's okay…" he muttered dejectedly, before perking slightly and looking up at the kangaroo rat, voice edging into the realm of cautious hope, "actually- you're in the University, right? Can you get me in?"

Kitsunegami
Marquis
Species: Kitsune

Post by Kitsunegami » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:12 pm

Jyya placed her hand on his shoulder and smiled, "I don't have much say in what goes on, but I can certainly ask the Dean, but if that fails, I can try teaching you myself, using my own research notes. To be honest, I'm not a particularly powerful mage, but my research has allowed me to seal magical energy into paper." she said, producing a spell talisman, and mending his ear.

Rackenhammer
Spanish Scion
United States of America

Post by Rackenhammer » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:05 pm

Telemain did calm a bit at Feres' beckoning, at least externally. He couldn't assuage his real worries with such assurances, though. "Oh, we intellectuals, especially Gawainian intellectuals, boast of our imperturbability in times of crisis. As for the soulreaver... well, you didn't meet him, and I pray you never do." The ferx sighed, and grimaced as he caught his reflection in a basin of rose water.
Breaking up the rather wild portrait, he went to clean at least some of the trail dust off of his face, and present himself a little more cleanly. The ablutionary ritual had a calming effect upon him, giving his body something to do the match the overworked activity of his mind.
After drying his face, he returned to Naia's side, hesitantly reaching out to touch her face. She looked more like one sleeping than one unconscious now, with faint stirrings.

~

A muttered, "Gewinnen oder verlieren, wissen wir nicht aufgeben,*" was Dr. Martin's only reply to Amelengrien's taunts. She had more important matters to deal with. She stayed with Logan through the agony of his decision, and smiled in relief and affection as he made the right choice.
"Thank you." She whispered, gently surrounding the soul in his paw with a protective barrier of light, allowing her to pass from this life to the next. This done, she embraced her student. "I know you feel monstrous right now, but remember, monsters never feel like that. As long as you can tell such things are wrong, so long as you have enough soul to repent, you are not a monster. As long as you need me, you are my student. Never forget that." She stood up, nodding to Caraennyn. "Lead him to some fresh air. I'll be along shortly..."
She stood to welcome Matteo, bringing the tigress Naismith and the equine Kosigan. "I will escort the other off the premises first."

Rainwhisker
King

Post by Rainwhisker » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:51 pm

Tel sighed, muttering that he would not wish Feres to meet the soulreaver. The lynx was curious - no doubt about that. Something about all that encompasses that word seemed to resonate something in him - a feeling he could not place a digit upon. Putting it aside as anxiety for now, he noted Tel reaching out to feel Naia's face. Surely, she was a large cause of Tel's worries - despite being master and student the ferx was infatuated with her, and his poor control over his emotions, while not over just his feelings for Naia, but paired with all other adversities brought the group leader's potential ability to lead them far down.

Or perhaps that since they were in Gawain, the ferx could feel that his job was finished - for a person of his age, Tel certainly had to face more than most students. From all the stories he has told him, Feres knew that all the ferx could possibly want is peace of mind. He noted the possibilities stemming from that before looking over all the clinical apparatus - all kinds of potions, salves, surgical tools - most of which he was familiar with, but he was eager to know what was unique in Gawain.

My Character Compilation

Chat on the IRC!

Indrick151
King

Post by Indrick151 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:00 pm

As Logan formed the soul in his paw, willing it there with every fibre of his being, it’s misty presence grew, and yet it clinged to it, as though the soul were terrified more of the broad outside than of the prison of Logan’s body. That was until the Dean took it and ushered it over to the other side. It was abrupt, but not violent, as though a firm hand had taken the soul from his paw. But it didn’t feel wrong, it felt right. The silence felt right, his mind stretched out in the quietude. The world seemed to wash away around him. And he compliantly allowed himself to be led away by Caraennyn, his face relaxed now.

Amelangrien gave a harsh bark of laughter at the scene before him, the woman storming off in a huff like an immature brat, the Dean consoling her student while deluding herself. The results were disappointing to say the least, he had hoped for Logan to be dragged off in chains. While he had hoped the Dean would give him a little more attention, although on that issue it seemed that he would soon have his disappointment cured. His lips curled, his eyes staring insolently at the Dean as she sent Logan on his way with the other student. "Escort me from the premises? Why lead the way Dean. I shall be happy to go. I would be absolutely thrilled to be let loose from my lodgings here." He bowed slightly, "however I would have one final word with you my dear gentle Dean."

Sade

Post by Sade » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:54 pm

Nessus maintained his silence through Amelangrien's jeering. The conversation was now quite clearly between the wolf and the Dean. He had nothing of value to add. He remained rather than follow Zodt on the off chance the badger would call on his support in some way, whatever way that might be. The least he could do for her was stick around.

Marcus grinned ear to mended-ear as he prodded the newly healed flesh. That little bit of magic would have cost him a great deal of money which he didn't have! He didn't have it because it no longer existed.

He was on his feet the moment Jyya said she would talk to the Dean on his behalf, "can we go right now!?" He saw no reason to wait; he was unaware of any drama unfolding within the University, he needn't take time to gather supplies or money he didn't have, and, finally, he had no references who were still alive nor anyone who would sponsor him to fetch. Plus he could use somewhere to sleep, and, as he understood it, students were given lodging. The worker's barracks was probably still open to him if he entered discreetly, but the rats living there would quickly tire of a nonworker using space and food.